Survival Hunter DPS Mythic+ Guide — Shadowlands 9.1.5
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Survival Hunter in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.1.5.
Unique Challenges of Mythic+
Mythic+ Dungeons, especially high ones, are arguably the highest level of competitive PvE content that WoW has to offer aside from Mythic raiding.
In Mythic Dungeons as a Hunter, you will be responsible for a large part of the group's total damage output, while in a Mythic Raiding group, you may only be responsible for maybe 7% of it. The skill and execution from the individual players in the group is much more important.
Aside from just doing damage, in Mythic+ you will be responsible for many things to make the group's run faster and easier. Interrupting, offensively dispelling enemy targets, soaking mechanics, using your traps and stuns are all much more common in Mythic+ than your usual Mythic raid.
In this guide, we will talk about getting the most out of your Hunter in Mythic+ dungeons, including the best way to set up your character, how your rotation may change, and tips and tricks for using your abilities in the most optimal way.
If you are unfamiliar with Mythic+ and its associated general mechanics, you can read more about it on our dedicated Mythic+ page below.
Best Survival Hunter Mythic+ Build
For a more general overview of Talents for Survival Hunter, please visit our dedicated Talents page.
These are our recommended talents for Survival Hunter in Mythic+.
|15||✗ Viper's Venom||✗ Terms of Engagement||✓ Alpha Predator|
|25||✓ Guerrilla Tactics||✗ Hydra's Bite||✗ Butchery|
|30||✗ Trailblazer||✓ Natural Mending||? Camouflage|
|35||✓ Bloodseeker||✗ Steel Trap||✗ A Murder of Crows|
|40||? Born To Be Wild||? Posthaste||? Binding Shot|
|45||✗ Tip of the Spear||✗ Mongoose Bite||✓ Flanking Strike|
|50||✗ Birds of Prey||✓ Wildfire Infusion||✗ Chakrams|
Best Mythic+ Covenant and Soulbind for Survival Hunter
For more information about the best Survival Hunter Covenants and Soulbinds, please check out our page below.
Best Mythic+ Legendary for Survival Hunter
Wildfire Cluster is the best Legendary for Survival Hunters in Mythic+. It has the best AoE capabilities of any Legendary while also being reasonably competitive for single-target.
For more information on Survival Hunter Legendaries in different situations, please check out our page below.
9.1.5 Legion Timewalking Seasonal Affix: Infernal
Legion Timewalking introduces a new Seasonal Affix called Infernal. This affix spawns an Invasion Beacon near every boss that spawns a Legion Invasion and a Lieutenant, consisting of a boss alongside a variety of mobs. These will usually be engaged alongside the boss, leading to a heavy burst of AoE in the beginning of most boss fights.
Best Tormented Anima Powers for Mythic+ for Survival Hunter
Below, we have ranked the Tormented Anima Powers that are obtained from the new Tormented mini-bosses in Mythic+.
- Champion's Brand is nearly always active and is great for both single-target and AoE. This should always be chosen when Dagger of Necrotic Wounding is not available.
- Dagger of Necrotic Wounding is extremely powerful for single-target and should be chosen on all affixes when it is available.
- The Stone Ward is an excellent defensive option for us, as we are one of the squishiest classes in Mythic+.
- Regenerative Fungus is a strong self-heal.
- Handbook of Uncivil Etiquette can be used when damage intake is not a concern at all, or if you are in a dungeon where the bosses are regularly interruptible, such as Sanguine Depths, De Other Side, Mists of Tirna Scithe, or The Necrotic Wake. We still recommend Regenerative Fungus most of the time, however.
Rotational Considerations for Survival Hunter in Mythic+
For the most part, your rotation will remain the same as normal in Mythic+ dungeons. Because of the nature of dungeons, however, with mobs dying constantly and there sometimes being downtime in between packs, we recommend taking the following extra considerations.
Note that the information below specifically pertains to Mythic+. If you require more general information, you should go to the main Rotation page below.
The next bomb that Wildfire Infusion will offer to you is random, but if you happen to get the green Volatile Bomb and you are coming up to a new mob pack, it is your best chance of extremely high burst AoE. It is easier to maximize it with Hydra's Bite, but regardless of the talent you have chosen, you should try to apply Serpent Sting to as many targets as possible before using the bomb. Remember to position the bomb correctly so that all targets are hit.
It is extremely important to be casting Carve on cooldown on multiple targets. To do this, you must not spend too much Focus on Raptor Strike, using it just to stay off of the Focus cap for the most part. Remember that the primary reason that you are casting Carve is to let you cast more Wildfire Bombs. Do not waste Wildfire Bomb charges trying to cast Carve, as that defeats the purpose.
In many ways, having a high Focus pool is even more important in multi-target than it is in single-target situations. While you have additional, important buttons to press, it is still extremely important to cast Kill Command on cooldown. You need the focus for Carve.
For more general rotation information, please refer to our rotation page.
Mythic+ AoE Burst Opener for Survival Hunter
- Apply Serpent Sting while you are still at range to as many targets as you can.
- Use Kill Command to bring your Focus high before entering your cooldowns.
- Activate Coordinated Assault followed by your Covenant Ability, such as Resonating Arrow.
- Use Wildfire Bomb.
- Use Carve.
- Use Kill Command.
- Use Flanking Strike.
- Proceed with your normal rotation.
Key Abilities for Survival Hunter in Mythic+
Intimidation is a 5-second stun. It can be used to interrupt otherwise uninterruptible effects on dangerous mobs, and in high Mythic+ situations, it should be used almost on cooldown to try and negate such casts.
Freezing Trap plays the same role as Intimidation for the most part, allowing you to interrupt dangerous casts that cannot be interrupted normally. It can also allow you to remove dangerous caster mobs from the equation. If there are caster mobs out of position hitting your group, those are ideal targets to be trapped until they can be pulled into the remaining group.
Muzzle is your main interrupt and will be used often in any Mythic+. As you get to know the dungeons, you should know which spells are worth spending your interrupt on.
Feign Death is an extremely powerful spell in Mythic+. It can be used to effectively nullify a lot of targeted effects that mobs and bosses channel on you. It can also be used to nullify targeted spells where you can see that it will land on you before the cast finishes. Using Feign Death can cause the boss to pick another target, or completely stop casting the ability.
Scare Beast can be used to keep certain mobs Fear-locked if needed. By facing in the direction that you want the feared mob to run, you can basically control where it goes.
Binding Shot is one of the most unique utility spells you bring to Mythic+. It is an 8-second root that can affect any amount of targets that crosses over the arrow. This is used when the tank is kiting to save them from danger. It can also be used to ensure that mobs stay in place for a number of reasons, such as keeping them inside your Wild Spirits/ Resonating Arrow.
Tranquilizing Shot is simple. It is an offensive Enrage/Magic dispel that can be used to remove beneficial buffs from enemies. An underrated feature of this ability is that gives you 10 Focus if it successfully dispels something. It is also slightly faster to cast than Steady Shot, so it can be thought of as a DPS spell because it gives you Focus.
Trinket Considerations for Survival Hunter in Mythic+
When choosing your trinkets, we recommend simulating yourself using the "Dungeon Slice" option on Raidbots. Usually, we recommend using trinkets that proc stats, rather than single-target damage dealers.
You can also get a quick overview of good Mythic+ Trinkets on our Gearing page, specifically the Simulation chart for multi-target scenarios.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Added some information about the Legion Timewalking Affix "Infernal", and changed the recommendation of some Tormented Anima Powers.
- 13 Jul. 2021: Added information about the best Tormented Anima Mythic+ Powers to take.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.
- 05 May 2021: Added Flanking Strike to the AoE Opener Rotation, and changed its recommendation status for Survival Mythic+.
- 19 Apr. 2021: Added information about Binding Shot and Tranquilizing Shot to the utility spells section.
- 19 Mar. 2021: Several updates.
- Updated the recommended Mythic+ Soulbind to Korayn.
- Updated the recommended Kyrian Mythic+ Soulbind to Forgelite Prime Mikanikos.
- Added a note that you do not want to waste Wildfire Bomb while trying to cast Carve on cooldown.
- Added Scare Beast to the Key Abilities section.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 08 Dec. 2020: Updated with information about the best Legendaries and Covenants for Survival Mythic+.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Lead Cinematic Designer Revisits the Original Black Temple Trailer
- World of Warcraft on Game Pass: How Would It Work?
- Potential Impact of the Microsoft Acquisition on the Future of WoW
- Blizzard on Tier Set Design in Patch 9.2
- Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick Reportedly Leaving the Company After Microsoft Acquisition is Complete
- Microsoft + Activision Blizzard Acquistion Memes and Funny Images
- Burning Crusade Classic Phase 3, Patch 2.5.3 Notes
- An Excerpt from Bobby Kotick's Email to Staff