Survival Hunter DPS Mythic+ Guide — Shadowlands 9.2.5
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Survival Hunter in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.2.5.
Unique Challenges of Mythic+
Mythic+ Dungeons, especially high ones, are arguably the highest level of competitive PvE content that WoW has to offer aside from Mythic raiding.
In Mythic Dungeons as a Hunter, you will be responsible for a large part of the group's total damage output, while in a Mythic Raiding group, you may only be responsible for maybe 7% of it. The skill and execution from the individual players in the group is much more important.
Aside from just doing damage, in Mythic+ you will be responsible for many things to make the group's run faster and easier. Interrupting, offensively dispelling enemy targets, soaking mechanics, using your traps and stuns are all much more common in Mythic+ than your usual Mythic raid.
In this guide, we will talk about getting the most out of your Hunter in Mythic+ dungeons, including the best way to set up your character, how your rotation may change, and tips and tricks for using your abilities in the most optimal way.
If you are unfamiliar with Mythic+ and its associated general mechanics, you can read more about it on our dedicated Mythic+ page below.
Best Survival Hunter Mythic+ Build
For a more general overview of Talents for Survival Hunter, please visit our dedicated Talents page.
These are our recommended talents for Survival Hunter in Mythic+.
|15||✗ Viper's Venom||✗ Terms of Engagement||✓ Alpha Predator|
|25||✓ Guerrilla Tactics||✗ Hydra's Bite||✗ Butchery|
|30||✗ Trailblazer||✓ Natural Mending||? Camouflage|
|35||✓ Bloodseeker||✗ Steel Trap||✗ A Murder of Crows|
|40||? Born To Be Wild||? Posthaste||? Binding Shot|
|45||✓ Tip of the Spear||✗ Mongoose Bite||? Flanking Strike|
|50||✗ Birds of Prey||✓ Wildfire Infusion||✗ Chakrams|
Best Mythic+ Covenant and Soulbind for Survival Hunter
For more information about the best Survival Hunter Covenants and Soulbinds, please check out our page below.
Best Mythic+ Legendary for Survival Hunter
Wildfire Cluster is the best Legendary for Survival Hunters in Mythic+. It has the best AoE capabilities of any Legendary while also being reasonably competitive for single-target.
For more information on Survival Hunter Legendaries in different situations, please check out our page below.
Season 4 Seasonal Affix: Shrouded
Throughout Mythic+ Dungeons in Season 4, you will be able to defeat Dreadlord NPCs. Based on your choice of Bounty at the beginning of the dungeon, defeating the Dreadlords will give you a secondary stat buff of your choosing.
As Survival, our secondary stats and their values are very fluid, so there is not a "best" Bounty to choose at all times. To find out what is best to choose for your character, we recommend running a Stat Weights sim of your character on Raidbots. This is one of the only situations where Stat Weights are useful.
The best Bounty to choose is going to be Haste in all situations.
Rotational Considerations for Survival Hunter in Mythic+
For the most part, your rotation will remain the same as normal in Mythic+ dungeons. Because of the nature of dungeons, however, with mobs dying constantly and there sometimes being downtime in between packs, we recommend taking the following extra considerations.
Note that the information below specifically pertains to Mythic+. If you require more general information, you should go to the main Rotation page below.
It is extremely important to be casting Carve on cooldown on multiple targets. To do this, you must not spend too much Focus on Serpent Sting or Raptor Strike, using these just to stay off of the Focus cap for the most part. Remember that the primary reason that you are casting Carve is to let you cast more Wildfire Bombs. Do not waste Wildfire Bomb charges trying to cast Carve, as that defeats the purpose.
In many ways, having a high Focus pool is even more important in multi-target than it is in single-target situations. While you have additional, important buttons to press, it is still extremely important to cast Kill Command on cooldown. You need the focus for Carve.
For more general rotation information, please refer to our rotation page.
Mythic+ AoE Burst Opener for Survival Hunter
- Apply Harpoon to get in range.
- Use Kill Command to bring your Focus high before entering your cooldowns.
- Activate Coordinated Assault followed by your Covenant Ability, such as Resonating Arrow.
- Use Wildfire Bomb.
- Use Carve.
- Use Kill Command.
- Proceed with your normal rotation.
Key Abilities for Survival Hunter in Mythic+
Intimidation is a 5-second stun. It can be used to interrupt otherwise uninterruptible effects on dangerous mobs, and in high Mythic+ situations, it should be used almost on cooldown to try and negate such casts.
Freezing Trap plays the same role as Intimidation for the most part, allowing you to interrupt dangerous casts that cannot be interrupted normally. It can also allow you to remove dangerous caster mobs from the equation. If there are caster mobs out of position hitting your group, those are ideal targets to be trapped until they can be pulled into the remaining group.
Muzzle is your main interrupt and will be used often in any Mythic+. As you get to know the dungeons, you should know which spells are worth spending your interrupt on.
Feign Death is an extremely powerful spell in Mythic+. It can be used to effectively nullify a lot of targeted effects that mobs and bosses channel on you. It can also be used to nullify targeted spells where you can see that it will land on you before the cast finishes. Using Feign Death can cause the boss to pick another target, or completely stop casting the ability.
Scare Beast can be used to keep certain mobs Fear-locked if needed. By facing in the direction that you want the feared mob to run, you can basically control where it goes.
Binding Shot is one of the most unique utility spells you bring to Mythic+. It is an 8-second root that can affect any amount of targets that crosses over the arrow. This is used when the tank is kiting to save them from danger. It can also be used to ensure that mobs stay in place for a number of reasons, such as keeping them inside your Wild Spirits/ Resonating Arrow.
Tranquilizing Shot is simple. It is an offensive Enrage/Magic dispel that can be used to remove beneficial buffs from enemies. An underrated feature of this ability is that gives you 10 Focus if it successfully dispels something.
Trinket Considerations for Survival Hunter in Mythic+
When choosing your trinkets, we recommend simulating yourself using the "Dungeon Slice" option on Raidbots. Usually, we recommend using trinkets that proc stats, rather than single-target damage dealers.
You can also get a quick overview of good Mythic+ Trinkets on our Gearing page, specifically the Simulation chart for multi-target scenarios.
- 09 Aug. 2022: Updated information on the best Bounty stat to take.
- 31 Jul. 2022: Updated for Shadowlands Season 4.
- 31 May 2022: Page reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 27 Feb. 2022: Updated the recommended Covenant and Soulbind for Mythic+.
- 21 Feb. 2022: Updated talent recommendations and added information about the new Affix.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Added some information about the Legion Timewalking Affix "Infernal", and changed the recommendation of some Tormented Anima Powers.
- 13 Jul. 2021: Added information about the best Tormented Anima Mythic+ Powers to take.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.
- 05 May 2021: Added Flanking Strike to the AoE Opener Rotation, and changed its recommendation status for Survival Mythic+.
- 19 Apr. 2021: Added information about Binding Shot and Tranquilizing Shot to the utility spells section.
- 19 Mar. 2021: Several updates.
- Updated the recommended Mythic+ Soulbind to Korayn.
- Updated the recommended Kyrian Mythic+ Soulbind to Forgelite Prime Mikanikos.
- Added a note that you do not want to waste Wildfire Bomb while trying to cast Carve on cooldown.
- Added Scare Beast to the Key Abilities section.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 08 Dec. 2020: Updated with information about the best Legendaries and Covenants for Survival Mythic+.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Dracthyr Evoker Racial Mounts in Dragonflight
- Otterworldly Ottuk - New 500 Mounts Collected Achievement Reward in Dragonflight
- Dragonflight Loading Screen Implemented on the Dragonflight Beta
- Dracthyr Evoker Soar Moved to a Bonus Action Bar on the Dragonflight Beta
- Dragonflight Beta Development Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Balance Druid Dev Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Priest Dev Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Dragonriding Notes: September 21st