Survival Hunter DPS Mythic+ Guide — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Survival Hunter in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5.
Unique Challenges of Mythic+
Mythic+ Dungeons, especially high ones, are arguably the highest level of competitive PvE content that WoW has to offer aside from Mythic raiding.
In Mythic Dungeons as a Hunter, you will be responsible for a large part of the group's total damage output, while in a Mythic Raiding group, you may only be responsible for maybe 7% of it. The skill and execution from the individual players in the group is much more important.
Aside from just doing damage, in Mythic+ you will be responsible for many things to make the group's run faster and easier. Interrupting, offensively dispelling enemy targets, soaking mechanics, using your traps and stuns are all much more common in Mythic+ than your usual Mythic raid.
In this guide, we will talk about getting the most out of your Hunter in Mythic+ dungeons, including the best way to set up your character, how your rotation may change, and tips and tricks for using your abilities in the most optimal way.
The Patch 8.2 Beguiling Affix
The new Beguiling Affix adds unique mobs to mob packs throughout dungeons. These mobs, called "Emissaries", impose special limitations on the packs you are fighting.
- Enchanted Emissary — Causes mobs nearby to reflect up to 200% of damage done to them. When you attack this Emissary, it is knocked back, making it easier to separate from the rest of the pack. It has too much health to be killed, but it has an Energy bar that will deplete over 30 seconds, after which the Emissary will despawn.
- Void-Touched Emissary — This mob detects Stealth and Invisibility effects, and casts Queen's Decree: Hide which deals damage to everyone within Line of Sight, in a 60-yard radius. It also applies a debuff that increases everyone's Shadow damage taken by 50%. These mobs have a modest amount of health, and when they reach 1 health they will teleport out of the dungeon.
- Emissary of the Tides — This causes all nearby mobs to be immune to all Crowd Control effects. This includes interrupts, snares, slows, and roots, as well as everything else. These mobs have a modest amount of health, and when they reach 1 health they will teleport out of the dungeon.
The layout of Emissaries in dungeons changes every week.
Survival Mythic+ Build
For Mythic+ Dungeons as a Survival, your focus will be on a mix of single-target and AoE damage.
These are our recommended talents for Survival Hunter in Mythic+
|15||✓ Viper's Venom||✗ Terms of Engagement||✓ Alpha Predator|
|30||✓ Guerrilla Tactics||? Hydra's Bite||✗ Butchery|
|45||? Trailblazer||? Natural Mending||? Camouflage|
|60||✓ Bloodseeker||✗ Steel Trap||✗ A Murder of Crows|
|75||? Born To Be Wild||? Posthaste||? Binding Shot|
|90||? Tip of the Spear||✓ Mongoose Bite||? Flanking Strike|
|100||✓ Birds of Prey||✓ Wildfire Infusion||✗ Chakrams|
Level 15 Talents for Mythic+ as a Survival Hunter
|✔ Viper's Venom||✘ Terms of Engagement||✔ Alpha Predator|
Generally speaking, we recommend Viper's Venom for multi-target heavy dungeons.
This choice will be a matter of gear, instinct and personal preference, as well as what the group needs more.
Level 30 Talents for Mythic+ as a Survival Hunter
|✔ Guerrilla Tactics||? Hydra's Bite||✘ Butchery|
For dungeons with low mobcounts, Hydra's Bite may be a viable choice as well, but it requires multiple targets that live for a significant period of time and that do not have massive differences in their health.
Level 45 Talents for Mythic+ as a Survival Hunter
|? Trailblazer||? Natural Mending||? Camouflage|
Generally speaking, we recommend using Natural Mending. It will allow you to use your Exhilaration self-heal much more often, which can save your life if you have made a mistake, or a very powerful spell has hit you.
Level 60 Talents for Mythic+ as a Survival Hunter
|✔ Bloodseeker||✘ Steel Trap||✘ A Murder of Crows|
Bloodseeker is the only viable choice in this row, as the other options do not really scale with gear and do not do enough damage to warrant their use.
Level 75 Talents for Mythic+ as a Survival Hunter
|? Born To Be Wild||? Posthaste||? Binding Shot|
This tier is mostly a question about mobility, survivability, or utility.
Generally, we recommend using Posthaste for the helpful movement speed boost, but if you are doing a very high-level Mythic+ Dungeon, then you might find Born To Be Wild more valuable, as it is more likely to save your life than Posthaste.
Binding Shot is much more situational, and there would need to be specific requirements in the dungeon for you to use it. Remember that it is a root and not a stun, so its primary benefit is to help keep mobs stacked.
Level 90 Talents for Mythic+ as a Survival Hunter
|? Tip of the Spear||✔ Mongoose Bite||? Flanking Strike|
We recommend Mongoose Bite for essentially all situations.
Level 100 Talents for Mythic+ as a Survival Hunter
|✔ Birds of Prey||✔ Wildfire Infusion||✘ Chakrams|
Rotational Considerations for Survival in Mythic+
For the most part, your rotation will remain the same as normal in Mythic+ dungeons. Because of the nature of dungeons, however, with mobs dying constantly and there sometimes being downtime in between packs, we recommend taking the following extra considerations.
The next bomb that Wildfire Infusion will offer to you is random, but if you happen to get the green Volatile Bomb and you are coming up to a new mob pack, it is your best chance of extremely high burst AoE. It is easier to maximize it with Hydra's Bite, but regardless of the talent you have chosen, you should try to apply Serpent Sting to as many targets as possible before using the bomb. Remember to position the bomb correctly so that all targets are hit.
It is extremely important to be casting Carve on cooldown on multiple targets. To do this, you must not spend too much Focus on Raptor Strike unless you are able to consume 9-10 Latent Poison stacks with it.
In many ways, having a high Focus pool is even more important in multi-target than it is in single-target situations. While you have additional, important buttons to press, it is still extremely important to cast Kill Command on cooldown. You need the focus for Carve and Raptor Strike.
Key Abilities for Survival Hunter in Mythic+
Intimidation is a 5-second stun. It can be used to interrupt otherwise uninterruptible effects on dangerous mobs, and in high Mythic+ situations, it should be used almost on cooldown to try and negate such casts.
Freezing Trap plays the same role as Intimidation for the most part, allowing you to interrupt dangerous casts that cannot be interrupted normally. It can also allow you to remove dangerous caster mobs from the equation. If there are caster mobs out of position hitting your group, those are ideal targets to be trapped until they can be pulled into the remaining group.
Muzzle is your main interrupt and will be used often in any Mythic+. As you get to know the dungeons, you should know which spells are worth spending your interrupt on.
Feign Death is an extremely powerful spell in Mythic+. It can be used to effectively nullify a lot of targeted effects that mobs and bosses channel on you. It can also be used to nullify targeted spells where you can see that it will land on you before the cast finishes. Using Feign Death can cause the boss to pick another target, or completely stop casting the ability.
Azerite Traits for Survival Hunter in Mythic+
The best Survival Hunter traits for Mythic+ are usually ones that proc stats with a long duration, and ideally ones that are not reliant on mobs being alive for a long time.
The Best Traits
- Blur of Talons remains one of the strongest single-target choices, especially combined with Birds of Prey for single-target heavy dungeons.
- Wildfire Cluster is the most powerful cleave Trait for Survival Hunters, combining especially well with Guerrilla Tactics.
- A single point of Wilderness Survival is extremely useful for all situations as well. It is a single-target oriented trait, but it is also useful for multi-target. Having any more than 1 point is generally not advisable, as the cooldown reduction does not stack.
- For Tier 2 traits, we recommend Overwhelming Power and Heed My Call.
Finally, and perhaps above all, sim yourself.
Trinket Considerations for Survival Hunter in Mythic+
When choosing your trinkets, we recommend simulating yourself using the "Dungeon Slice" option on Raidbots. Usually, we recommend using trinkets that proc stats, rather than single-target damage dealers.
- 25 Oct. 2019: Altered the Level 15 and Level 30 Talent recommendations, and got rid of the "Traits to Avoid" as most traits in that section are very uncommon anyway.
- 13 Jul. 2019: Added information about the Beguiling Affix.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 14 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed for Crucible of Storms and no changes are necessary.
- 30 Jan. 2019: Significant updates across the Survival Mythic+ guide.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 01 Sep. 2018: Added content.
- 12 Aug. 2018: Page added for Battle for Azeroth launch (empty for now).
- Diablo 2 Cinematics Upscaled to 4K and 8K
- Jokerd Removed from Method Org After Ninja Looting
- Pet Battle Changes in 8.3: Visions of N'zoth (Official Preview)
- N'Zoth Raid Testing Streams
- World Bosses and PvP Honor System Available
- Outlaw Rogue Anniversary Event Ragnaros Bug
- Corrupted Weapons from Ny'alotha, the Waking City in Patch 8.3
- Wrathion Sells Various Items in Patch 8.3
- What’s the better PC?
- Fire Mage 8.2
- Marksmanship Hunter 8.2
- Frost Mage 8.2
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Holy Priest 8.2
- 15-Year Anniversary Event
- Very low HPS MW monk