Marksmanship Hunter DPS Macros and Addons — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will find a number of useful macros and addons to make your life easier when playing your Marksmanship Hunter in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Hunter addons and macros.
Macros for Marksmanship Hunter
Generic Macros for Hunters
Aspect of the Turtle Cancelaura Macro
- /cancelaura Aspect of the Turtle
This macro allows you to cancel your Aspect of the Turtle, which is useful because while Aspect of the Turtle is active, you cannot perform any attacks. With this macro, you can use Aspect of the Turtle to avoid a specific boss ability and then quickly resume DPS.
We advise using the above macro separately from your normal Aspect of the Turtle keybind, even though having a single macro for both is common. The reason we advise against using the two together is that it is very easy to accidentally cancel Aspect of the Turtle, especially if you are spamming your keybind.
Misdirection Mouseover/Focus Macro
- #showtooltip Misdirection
- /cast [@mouseover,help,nodead][@focus,help,nodead]Misdirection
This macro will cast Misdirection on the target you are currently mousing over, provided that they are friendly and not dead. Otherwise, it will cast Misdirection on your Focus target, if they are friendly and not dead. If this is not a valid choice either, it will cast Misdirection on your current target.
Trap Macros for Survival
There have recently been added special macro modifiers that allow you to cast traps or other ground-targetable effects in different ways. To make use of these, simply make a macro that says "/cast [@???] Explosive Trap" for example, where "@???" can be replaced with:
- @cursor to place the trap directly where your mouse is when you hit the bind.
- @player to place the trap directly underneath your character.
It is a good idea to include a command to force your pet to switch to your current important target. We recommend tying this line to abilities like Kill Command for Beast Mastery Hunters, Aimed Shot for Marksmanship Hunters, and Kill Command for Survival Hunters, as these are abilities you tend to use on your primary target. For Beast Mastery, it should also be put in a Multi-Shot macro, so that you can use your Multi-Shot button to also manage your pet's target, and thus its position to maximize Beast Cleave benefit.
- #showtooltip Kill Command
- /cast Kill Command
- #showtooltip Multi-Shot
- /cast Multi-Shot
- #showtooltip Aimed Shot
- /cast Aimed Shot
Specific Macros for Marksmanship Hunters
If you cast something else while Rapid Fire is channeling, it is possible to cancel Rapid Fire and miss out on the buff.
Nochanneling macros like this will let you spam your other buttons while Rapid Fire is channeling, without cancelling it. We recommend using this type of macro for every offensive ability in your rotation.
- #showtooltip arcane shot
- /cast [nochanneling:rapid fire] arcane shot
- #showtooltip aimed shot
- /cast [nochanneling:rapid fire] aimed shot
- #showtooltip rapid fire
- /cast [nochanneling:rapid fire] rapid fire
- #showtooltip steady shot
- /cast [nochanneling:rapid fire] steady shot
- #showtooltip trueshot
- /cast [nochanneling:rapid fire] trueshot
- #showtooltip double tap
- /cast [nochanneling:rapid fire] double tap
- #showtooltip multi-shot
- /cast [nochanneling:rapid fire] multi-shot
- #showtooltip hunter's mark
- /cast [nochanneling:rapid fire] hunter's mark
Disengage/Rapid Fire Nochanneling Macro
This macro allows you to cast Disengage while Rapid Fire is channeling, but stops any other cast when you press Disengage so that it is not delayed.
- /stopcasting [nochanneling: rapid fire]
- /cast disengage
Addons for Marksmanship Hunter
Generic Addons for Hunters
Here, at Icy Veins, we use ElvUI for all our characters. This addon is a complete replacement of the default User Interface. It comes with almost everything you need to perform properly: action bars, cooldown timers, proc display, etc.
We strongly recommend that you get this addon and our forum moderator Pandacho has written a quick configuration guide for it.
WeakAuras is an extremely useful addon that allows you to have visual effects on your screen, helping you track your buffs, debuffs and cooldowns. It is highly customisable and it can make it much, much easier to keep track of your procs and play your spec more proficiently. It can also be used for a variety of other functions.
Boss Mods: Deadly Boss Mods or Bigwigs
Boss mods are addons that warn you about boss abilities and give you live advice on how to handle some mechanics. We strongly recommend you to get one such addon. At Icy Veins, we mostly use Deadly Boss Mods, the most popular boss mod. A good alternative is Big Wigs.
"Details!" Damage Meter is a real-time DPS/HPS meter with a lot of additional functionality such as being able to see cooldowns, buffs, debuffs, damage done to specific targets, and statistical analysis. In our opinion, it is superior to Skada in terms of functionality, although it is slightly more complicated to configure. We recommend Details! as your default damage meter, but if you prefer something easier, then Skada is still a good option.
GTFO is a lightweight addon that notifies you when you are standing in harmful effects or when you are making other such mistakes. It is very useful, even if your boss mod is already alerting you of such things.
Specific Addons for Marksmanship Hunters
Currently, we feel that there is no need for additional addons to play a Marksmanship Hunter to its full potential.
- 13 Jan. 2020: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.3 and no changes are necessary.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 14 Apr. 2019: Added a new macro for Disengaging while casting Rapid Fire (thanks Gwenäelle!).
- 01 Mar. 2019: Added information about nochanneling macros for Marksmanship.
- Mists of Pandaria Timewalking Guide (July 14th - July 21st)
- Zappy Boy Nickname Now Cannon
- Eye of the Jailer Mechanic in Shadowlands
- List of Corruption Effects on Sale Through July 17th
- Pre-expansion Event Details, Time in the Shadowlands, Major Lore Implications, Renown Catch-up: Full Bellular Interview
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: July 13th
- Horrific Visions Nerfs Coming July 14th/15th
- Every Man For Himself Human Racial Renamed to Will to Survive in Shadowlands