Marksmanship Hunter DPS Macros and Addons — Shadowlands 9.2
On this page, you will find a number of useful macros and addons to make your life easier when playing your Marksmanship Hunter in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.2.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Hunter addons and macros.
Macros for Marksmanship Hunter
Generic Macros for Hunters
Ground-Circle Covenant Ability Macros
Night Fae's Wild Spirits and Kyrian's Resonating Arrow abilities are both ground-targeted ones. Having to click the ground to place the ability is time-consuming, so we recommend using [@cursor] macros for these abilities. These macros will simply place the ability directly where your cursor is.
- #showtooltip Wild Spirits
- /use [@cursor]Wild Spirits
- #showtooltip Resonating Arrow
- /use [@cursor]Resonating Arrow
Mouseover Interrupt and Focus Mouseover
- /use [@focus,exists,nodead]Counter Shot
- /focus [@mouseover,nodead,exists];[@target,exists]
The top macro will interrupt your Focus target if available, or otherwise interrupt your target.
The bottom macro will let you easily Focus target whatever you are holding your mouse over.
Using these two macros together will let you be extremely flexible when it comes to interrupting in Mythic+ and is invaluable for high-end play where missed interrupts are not an option.
Kill Shot Mouseover Macro
- /use [@mouseover,exists,harm]Kill Shot
- /use [@pettarget]Claw
- /use [@pettarget]Bite
- /use [@pettarget]Smack
In hectic AoE scenarios such as Mythic+, it is beneficial to get as many Kill Shots off as possible, but it can be difficult to navigate a ton of nameplates to select a target that is below 20% health. Using this macro, you can simply keep your mouse over the nameplate that is sub-20% health and activate it to fire Kill Shot on that target.
If you do not have an appropriate mouseover target, then it will simply use Kill Shot on your current target.
Misdirection Mouseover/Focus Macro
- #showtooltip Misdirection
- /use [@mouseover,help,nodead][@focus,help,nodead]Misdirection
This macro will cast Misdirection on the target you are currently mousing over, provided that they are friendly and not dead. Otherwise, it will cast Misdirection on your Focus target, if they are friendly and not dead. If this is not a valid choice either, it will cast Misdirection on your current target.
There have recently been added special macro modifiers that allow you to cast traps or other ground-targetable effects in different ways. To make use of these, simply make a macro that says "/use [@???] Tar Trap" for example, where "@???" can be replaced with:
- @cursor to place the trap directly where your mouse is when you hit the bind.
- @player to place the trap directly underneath your character.
- /use [@cursor]Tar Trap
- /use [@cursor]Freezing Trap
- /use [@cursor]Flare
It is a good idea to include a command to force your pet to switch to your current important target. We recommend tying this line to abilities like Kill Command for Beast Mastery Hunters, Aimed Shot for Marksmanship Hunters, and Kill Command for Survival Hunters, as these are abilities you tend to use on your primary target. For Beast Mastery, it should also be put in a Multi-Shot macro, so that you can use your Multi-Shot button to also manage your pet's target, and thus its position to maximize Beast Cleave benefit.
- #showtooltip Kill Command
- /use Kill Command
- #showtooltip Multi-Shot
- /use Multi-Shot
- #showtooltip Aimed Shot
- /use Aimed Shot
Specific Macros for Marksmanship Hunters
If you cast something else while Rapid Fire is channeling, it is possible to cancel Rapid Fire and miss out on the buff.
Nochanneling macros like this will let you spam your other buttons while Rapid Fire is channeling, without cancelling it. We recommend using this type of macro for every offensive ability in your rotation. We have listed a few examples below that you can use.
- #showtooltip arcane shot
- /cast [nochanneling:rapid fire] arcane shot
- #showtooltip aimed shot
- /cast [nochanneling:rapid fire] aimed shot
- #showtooltip steady shot
- /cast [nochanneling:rapid fire] steady shot
- #showtooltip trueshot
- /cast [nochanneling:rapid fire] trueshot
- #showtooltip double tap
- /cast [nochanneling:rapid fire] double tap
- #showtooltip multi-shot
- /cast [nochanneling:rapid fire] multi-shot
Disengage/Rapid Fire Nochanneling Macro
- /stopcasting [nochanneling: rapid fire]
- /cast disengage
WeakAuras for Marksmanship Hunters
WeakAuras can have a tremendously positive effect on your performance. Since this is a broad topic, we instead have a separate page dedicated to it:
Addons for Marksmanship Hunter
Generic Addons for Hunters
Here, at Icy Veins, we use ElvUI for all our characters. This addon is a complete replacement of the default User Interface. It comes with almost everything you need to perform properly: action bars, cooldown timers, proc display, etc.
We strongly recommend that you get this addon and our forum moderator Pandacho has written a quick configuration guide for it.
WeakAuras is an extremely useful addon that allows you to have visual effects on your screen, helping you track your buffs, debuffs and cooldowns. It is highly customisable and it can make it much, much easier to keep track of your procs and play your spec more proficiently. It can also be used for a variety of other functions.
Boss Mods: Deadly Boss Mods or Bigwigs
Boss mods are addons that warn you about boss abilities and give you live advice on how to handle some mechanics. We strongly recommend you to get one such addon. At Icy Veins, we mostly use Deadly Boss Mods, the most popular boss mod. A good alternative is Big Wigs.
"Details!" Damage Meter is a real-time DPS/HPS meter with a lot of additional functionality such as being able to see cooldowns, buffs, debuffs, damage done to specific targets, and statistical analysis. In our opinion, it is superior to Skada in terms of functionality, although it is slightly more complicated to configure. We recommend Details! as your default damage meter, but if you prefer something easier, then Skada is still a good option.
GTFO is a lightweight addon that notifies you when you are standing in harmful effects or when you are making other such mistakes. It is very useful, even if your boss mod is already alerting you of such things.
Specific Addons for Marksmanship Hunters
Currently, we feel that there is no need for additional addons specifically to play a Marksmanship Hunter to its full potential.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.5.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 04 Dec. 2020: Added [@cursor] macros for Wild Spirits and Resonating Arrow.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands.
- 16 Oct. 2020: Added new, useful macros.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Free Character Moves from Firemaw
- Shadowlands 9.2 Season 3 Mythic+ DPS Log Rankings, Weeks 10 and 11
- Eyes of the Wolf Calia Menethil Quest in Patch 9.2.5
- Everything We Know About the Shrouded Affix in Shadowlands Season 4
- New Oribos Portals in Patch 9.2.5
- Patch 9.2.5 Build 43741: Achievement Changes
- Patch 9.2 and Burning Crusade Classic Hotfixes: May 17th
- Patch 9.2.5 PTR Development Notes: May 17th