Windwalker Monk Frequently Asked Questions — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1
On this page, we go over several of the most frequently asked questions regarding Windwalker Monk in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1. This will be updated as more common repeated questions surface over the course of the expansion.
1. How Much Haste should Windwalker Monks Have? / Is There a Haste Cap for Windwalkers?
Haste is much harder to value in a consistent manner than other secondaries for Windwalker Monks. With a fixed 1-second global cooldown and several abilities not gaining anything from Haste ( Energizing Elixir, Touch of Death to name a couple), the damage gains from Haste can be very surprising in simulations.
Therefore, we encourage you do not trust Stats Weights provided by Simulations regarding haste. Instead, use the Raidbots Top Gear tool to compare items rather than Haste. If you want to look deeper into the gains from Haste for your character, you can download the Simulationcraft application and look into the Plotting options. This will give you the most accurate information regarding how haste increases will affect your output.
2. Which Race is Best for Windwalker Monks?
Most races are very close for Windwalker Monks in their damage output. This means you can favor the gains of your race for other content (PvP, cosmetic). You can find Simulations for different races on Bloodmallet, however as most races are tied to secondary statistics, we encourage you to run simulations for your own character if you want to maximize your output. However the variations between the average and best race for your character will likely be smaller than 0.5% and might change as your itemization evolves.
3. How Good is Windwalker Monk in BfA Patch 8.1?
Windwalker Monks have a very flexible toolkit and provide various utility. They perform well on sustained damage output and have many ways to provide your group with AoE. In patch 8.1, Windwalker lost some of its outstanding burst in favor of more AoE.
Consult our Introduction page for generic information regarding Windwalker Monks in patch 8.1.
4. Can I Use a Two-Handed Weapon?
No. Although weapon item level is paramount for Windwalker Monks in Battle for Azeroth, using a two-handed weapon will prevent you from using Fists of Fury and reduce the damage of some of your other spells significantly. Therefore, you should aim to dual wield.
5. Should I Switch Weapons During an Encounter?
No. Changing weapons prevents you from doing anything for 1.5 seconds. This will not work out in favour in any scenario considering how often you want to use spells which require dual wielding.
6. When Do I Ignore Combo Strikes?
When you are not running Hit Combo, there is very little incentive to get mastery benefit on a very low hitting ability such as Tiger Palm. Therefore you can easily use Tiger Palm twice in a row when setting up AoE or any other combination of spells.
- 18 Dec. 2018: Page updated to clarify Haste caps and racial benefits.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 17 Aug. 2018: FAQ page added for Windwalker Monk.
- Patch 8.1 Hotfixes: January 23rd
- Limit Faction Transfer to Alliance for Ilevel 400 Gear
- 8.1.5 PTR Developer Notes: January 23rd
- Patch 8.1 Hotfixes: January 22nd + Clarifications
- Jaina Heroic World First Kill Video
- Battle of Dazar'alor Alliance Intro Cinematic
- Kul Tiran Humans & Zandalari Trolls Not Coming Today
- King Rastakhan Defeat Cinematic
- Fury Warrior 8.1
- Prot Warrior Rotation Documentation
- Frost Mage 8.1
- Help wit VuhDo
- Protection Warrior 8.1
- Restoration Druid 8.1
- Holy Paladin 8.1
- BfA Level 120 Battle Guide