How To Improve As Windwalker Monk — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5
On this page, you will find out how you can improve at playing Windwalker Monk in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5. We list the common mistakes that you should try to avoid and the small details that can greatly improve your performance.
1. Managing Resources
One of the main difficulties of the Windwalker Monk specialisation is managing all the different resources at your disposal.
Energy regenerates naturally at a pace of 10 points per second. This amount is increased by haste and Ascension. Whenever you are at maximum Energy, you are wasting this amount per second. This quickly translate into a large damage loss. Avoid this situation.
Serenity as a talent will force this situation to happen. With all your spells being free for the duration, you will come out of Serenity with a full Energy bar. This is normal and you should never try to avoid this by using Tiger Palm during Serenity.
The biggest use of Energy is to be turned into Chi using Tiger Palm.
Chi decreases to 0 outside of combat, gets reset to a maximum of 1 when entering a raid encounter. It caps at 5 Chi, 6 with Ascension.
You do not want to waste Chi if you can avoid it, and to achieve that make sure you spend it early enough, mostly through Rising Sun Kick and Fists of Fury. However, you might need to use Blackout Kick rather than waste Chi.
It is important, however, not to run out of Chi when needed. Most important of all, you want to have 3 Chi available whenever Fists of Fury comes off cooldown.
2. Knowing How To Sim Yourself
It is impossible to correctly play and optimize a Windwalker Monk without using Raidbots to sim your own character, as there are simply too many variables involved to intuitively figure out what gear to wear and so on without simming it first. Generally speaking, a simulation should be the first and final say in the gear you end up wearing for any given situation.
On top of this, simming is now very easy with no need to understand SimulationCraft APLs or installation yourself. All you will need is the in-game SimulationCraft AddOn, and the Raidbots website.
3. Analyzing Your Mistakes as a Windwalker Monk
When it comes to identifying and improving your mistakes, we strongly recommend the website WoWAnalyzer — it will analyze your logs and give you a report detailing how you did on the problems above and more.
- 15 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Fixed the section about spending Chi. Updated for 8.1.
- 06 Aug. 2018: Added initial Azerite Traits page.
- Patch 8.1.5 Hotfixes: May 24th
- WoW Classic "Not a Bug List" Update: May 24th
- Warsong Gulch & Honor System Testing on Classic Beta
- Blizzard's Looking for Essences Feedback
- How to Play World of Warcraft With a Controller
- N'zoth Whispers on Live Servers
- Conflict and Strife Essence Power Clarification
- Second Classic Stress Test Coming on May 29th
- ideal movement as mm
- Hunter Rotation Notes Questions
- Looking for quirky off spec DPS possibilities.
- Best Classic WoW Rotation and Class Guides for 1.12?
- Azshara potholes are out of control
- Shadow Priest PvP 8.1.5
- Destruction Warlock 8.1.5
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions