Windwalker Monk DPS Mythic+ Tips — Shadowlands 9.2
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Windwalker Monk in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.2.
Windwalker Monk in Mythic+
Windwalker Monk is a very solid melee specialization for Mythic+. It provides a good combination of damage output and utility. It has access to some of the best crowd control spells and very flexible burst cooldowns, such as Storm, Earth, and Fire.
Windwalker Monks are heavily used in high end Mythic+ due to their combination of utility, AoE damage and Mystic Touch.
If you are unfamiliar with Mythic+ and its associated general mechanics, you can read more about it on our Shadowlands Mythic+ Season 2 page below.
Windwalker Monk Mythic+ Build
For Mythic+ Dungeons as a Windwalker Monk, your focus will primarily be on AoE damage.
Note that the talents recommended below are specifically for Mythic+. If you wish to see a more general overview of Windwalker talents, you can check our main page below.
These are our recommended talents for Windwalker Monk in Mythic+
|15||✗ Eye of the Tiger||✗ Chi Wave||✗ Chi Burst|
|25||✓ Celerity||✓ Chi Torpedo||✓ Tiger's Lust|
|30||? Ascension||✓ Fist of the White Tiger||✓ Energizing Elixir|
|35||✗ Tiger Tail Sweep||✓ Good Karma||✓ Ring of Peace|
|40||? Inner Strength||? Diffuse Magic||? Dampen Harm|
|45||✓ Hit Combo||✗ Rushing Jade Wind||✓ Dance of Chi-Ji|
|50||✗ Spiritual Focus||✓ Whirling Dragon Punch||✗ Serenity|
Level 15 Talents for Mythic+ as a Windwalker Monk
|✘ Eye of the Tiger||✘ Chi Wave||✘ Chi Burst|
Level 25 Talents for Mythic+ as a Windwalker Monk
|✔ Celerity||✔ Chi Torpedo||✔ Tiger's Lust|
In this tier that revolves around movement, the choice depends on your preference and on the requirements of the dungeon.
Level 30 Talents for Mythic+ as a Windwalker Monk
|? Ascension||✔ Fist of the White Tiger||✔ Energizing Elixir|
Fist of the White Tiger will be the best for dungeons with a heavy emphasis on single target damage. Energizing Elixir will be the strongest choice for AoE situations and general M+ use as the default.
Level 35 Talents for Mythic+ as a Windwalker Monk
|✘ Tiger Tail Sweep||✔ Good Karma||✔ Ring of Peace|
Only Good Karma affects your personal survivability. However, since it does not provide output anymore, you can use both other options in encounters that benefit from the added crowd control.
Ring of Peace is an incredibly powerful control tool that sees its strengths more frequently used in Mythic+. As such, it should be the default unless you know you won't use it or will need the higher survivability of the other options.
Level 40 Talents for Mythic+ as a Windwalker Monk
|? Inner Strength||? Diffuse Magic||? Dampen Harm|
None of the talents in this row will affect your performance. You will use all three of them in different circumstances. By default, if you do not know what sort of damage you will be facing, or when you will use defensives, pick Inner Strength until you get a better idea. However, magic damage is generally plentiful and powerful, so Diffuse Magic can be taken as a reasonable default.
Level 45 Talents for Mythic+ as a Windwalker Monk
|✔ Hit Combo||✘ Rushing Jade Wind||✔ Dance of Chi-Ji|
Due to current tuning, Dance of Chi-Ji is the strongest talent in this row.
Level 50 Talents for Mythic+ as a Windwalker Monk
|✘ Spiritual Focus||✔ Whirling Dragon Punch||✘ Serenity|
Whirling Dragon Punch is the default talent used in every scenario.
Windwalker Monk Mythic+ Rotation
Both the single-target and multi-target rotations do not change in Mythic+ content. For more information about the Windwalker Monk DPS rotation, refer back to the Rotation, Cooldowns, and Abilities page.
However, it is worth noting that most of your multi-target output now lies in Fists of Fury. Therefore, it is paramount to make the most out of this spell. Avoid delaying it, keep Chi for it, and do not waste it when you expect extra targets to come in soon.
Against multiple enemies, the rotation is also based on a priority system, and it depends slightly based on how many enemies you are facing.
Keep in mind that Tiger Palm and Blackout Kick (as well as Rising Sun Kick) apply a 15-second debuff on their target, called Mark of the Crane. Each instance of this debuff increases the damage of your Spinning Crane Kick (against any target) by 10%, up to 50%. Therefore, your Tiger Palms and Blackout Kicks should be distributed among your enemies in such a way as to keep the Mark of the Crane debuff up on as many targets as possible.
Moreover, you should make use of Storm, Earth, and Fire by using it once at the start of the fight, and then using its next charge when Fists of Fury becomes available again. From then on, simply reuse it with Fists of Fury, making sure that you never let both of Storm, Earth, and Fire's charges remain available.
- Use Whirling Dragon Punch.
- Use Fists of Fury.
- Use Rising Sun Kick if Whirling Dragon Punch is coming off cooldown.
- Use Chi Burst if talented and under max Chi.
- Use Expel Harm
- Use Spinning Crane Kick on 3 or more targets or with Dance of Chi-Ji proc.
- Use Rising Sun Kick if less than 3 targets.
- Use Blackout Kick.
- Use Fist of the White Tiger.
- Use Chi Wave if talented.
- Use Tiger Palm.
Windwalker Monk Utility
Windwalker Monks provide utility to the dungeon party through strong crowd control, exceptional on demand burst damage on priority targets and mobility.
- Leg Sweep is one of the strongest crowd controls in the game. Communicate with your party to use it at the best possible timing.
- Ring of Peace is occasionally exceptional. It allows you to move enemies outside of specific ground effects or create a safe zone for your tank. It can also move enemies without entering combat with them to create unique paths to avoid some packs. However, coming at the cost of losing a powerful talent row, it will rarely be picked.
- Paralysis will fully disable an enemy for X seconds or until you attack it. It can be used to prevent specific patrols from moving around or to delay dealing with a specific dangerous mob. Additionally, it can be used mid combat as an interrupt.
- Windwalking will passively grant your nearby allies movespeed. This 10% increase will rarely have a large impact but adds up to a decent gain over the course of a dungeon run.
- Touch of Death is not at its best in a dungeon, as the greater your number of targets, the less its single target damage matters. However, with so many targets hitting the health thresholds consistently, you can overcome its lack of AoE power with volume of casts over the course of a dungeon.
Detox is a very powerful tool in Battle for Azeroth, sine there are many debuffs applied in dungeons. It is worth noting that it removes Poisons and Diseases: this means you sometimes can remove debuffs which your healer cannot remove: a Restoration Druid cannot remove Diseases, a Holy or Discipline Priest cannot remove Poisons, and a Restoration Shaman cannot remove either.
Mythic+ Talents for Windwalker Monks
Below are the suggested talents for Mythic+, these talents are recommended for all groups and keys at the current time.
Besides personal preferences in the Level 25 talent row, your most important choice will lie in the Level 45 row. Favor Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger for single target focus. Favor Dance of Chi-Ji for heavier multi-target dungeon runs.
|15||✗ Eye of the Tiger||✗ Chi Wave||✓ Chi Burst|
|25||✓ Celerity||✓ Chi Torpedo||✓ Tiger's Lust|
|30||✗ Ascension||✓ Fist of the White Tiger||✗ Energizing Elixir|
|35||✓ Tiger Tail Sweep||✓ Good Karma||? Ring of Peace|
|40||? Inner Strength||? Diffuse Magic||✓ Dampen Harm|
|45||✓ Hit Combo||✗ Rushing Jade Wind||✓ Dance of Chi-Ji|
|50||✗ Spiritual Focus||✓ Whirling Dragon Punch||✓ Serenity|
Tier Two Affixes
- Sanguine places a pool of blood on the ground when a mob is slain. This pool will heal remaining enemies who stay inside the zone and also damage players. Windwalker Monks can use Ring of Peace to push enemies off of Sanguine zones.
- Bursting places a dispellable magic debuff that deals damage. Simple stagger targets dying to control your stacks.
- Inspiring is a new Affix for Shadowlands similar to Beguiling. You will want to focus and burst down the Inspiring target if that's the decision.
- Spiteful is another new Affix for Shadowlands similar to the Thing from Beyond that spawned from Corruption except everyone can see it. This will likely be kited, making tools like Ring of Peace incredibly useful.
Tier Three Affixes
- Grievous afflicts players with a stacking DoT when they fall below 90%. Bring consumables to assist your healer when out of combat.
- Explosive will occasionally spawn Explosive Orbs that need to be targeted and burned down within a short period of time or they will deal significant damage to the party. Explosive Orbs cannot be cleaved and the amount of orbs that spawn scales with the amount of enemies pulled. You can get stacks of Mark of the Crane from hitting these orbs.
- Necrotic debuffs the target of enemy melee swings with a stacking healing reduction and a minor DoT. Windwalker Monks should use Leg Sweep and Ring of Peace to assist tanks in kiting enemies before they become unhealable.
- Storming is a new Affix for Shadowlands that spawns tornadoes around enemy creatures in combat that revolve in a circle for 10 seconds before disappearing.
Seasonal Affix: Encrypted
There is nothing specific to Windwalker Monks related to dealing with the new Seasonal Affix. Ideally you will want to use the Decrypted Vy Cypher, as the Decrypted Urh Cypher can be difficult to use with the limited resources that Windwalker has. If you are able to pool resources before that buff, then you can have success with it.
Timewalking Affix: Infernal
There is nothing specific to Windwalker Monks related to dealing with the new Timewalking Affix. However, it is worth setting up these pulls with your group by saving up significant cooldowns such as Invoke Xuen, the White Tiger or Touch of Death to deal with the targets. For more detailed on how these affixes work, refer to the general Mythic+ Affix Guide below.
- 19 Feb. 2022: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.2, added information on new Encrypted affix.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Updated for 9.1.5, added information on Infernal affix for Timewalking.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for 9.0.5.
- 24 Nov. 2020: Page reviewed and updated for Shadowlands Expansion Release; added information on new Affixes
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- New Heartbond Lupine Flying Animation in Patch 9.2.5
- Cool New Patch 9.2.5 Windrunner Easter Egg
- Kalimdorathon: Running Kalimdor from South to North IRL
- Patch 9.2.5 Survival Guide - Everything Coming in the World of Warcraft Update
- The Ultimate Silvermoonception
- World First Hardcore Level 99 in Diablo 2 Resurrected Ladder Season 1
- Bird's Eye View of Various World of Warcraft Maps
- Enigma Arena Changes