Retribution Paladin DPS Easy Mode — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1
On this page, we explain how to easily play Retribution Paladin in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1, using the simplest rotation, talent tree, stat priority, gear setup, etc., without sacrificing performance.
This page is intended for players who are new to the game or class, have no intentions of raiding Mythic difficulty, or simply want a more straight-forward way to play their specialisation without being overwhelmed by the numerous subtleties and active abilities that need to be taken into consideration for optimal play.
2. The Basics of Retribution Paladins
Retribution Paladins are a melee DPS specialisation that has a relatively easy to grasp playstyle. In single-target DPS, the Retribution specialisation is currently performing well, compared to most other classes. The AoE performance is decent.
Throughout the fight, you will need to manage your Holy Power generation and expenditure to maximise your damage output.
3. Talent Choice for Retribution Paladins
The following talent choices result in damage output that is close to that of the most optimal talent choices, although the recommendations here lead to considerable ease-of-play.
- Level 15: Zeal
- Level 30: Blade of Wrath
- Level 45: Fist of Justice
- Level 60: Wake of Ashes
- Level 75: Cavalier
- Level 90: Selfless Healer
- Level 100: Divine Purpose
4. Stat Choice for Retribution Paladins
Currently, you will want to prioritise stats as follows:
- Critical Strike ~= Versatility ~= Mastery.
5. Basic Rotation for Retribution Paladins
The single target rotation consists of Holy Power generators and Holy Power spenders.
- Cast Avenging Wrath on cooldown.
- Generate Holy Power by using following priority.
- Spend Holy Power by casting Templar's Verdict once you are either at the 5 Holy Power cap, or when there are only Holy Power generators left that would over-cap your Holy Power.
6. Azerite Traits
Azerite Traits play an important role for Retribution Paladin. This means you need to decide which Azerite items you should choose. The traits are very close to each other in power, though, so we recommend our Azerite page for more details.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Updated Divine Storm target requirements for 8.1.
- 05 Sep. 2018: Updated talents for Uldir.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- 21 Jul. 2018: Changed recommended targets for Divine Storm to 3.
- Artifact Power Catchup Disabled Until January 22nd
- Crafted Gear Now Requires the Profession to Equip in Patch 8.1
- This Week in WoW: December 11th
- Patch 8.1: List of Known Issues
- New World of Warcraft Folder Structure
- Class Guides for World of Warcraft Patch 8.1
- Patch 8.1 Hotfixes: December 11th
- 8.1: Tides of Vengeance Is Now Live in the Americas
- Discipline Priest 8.0.1
- Arcane Mage 8.0.1
- Bilescourge Bombers better than Demonic Strange?
- Holy Paladin 8.0.1
- Enhancement Shaman 8.0.1
- Shaman Leveling Guide
- Unholy Death Knight PvP 7.2
- Marksmanship Hunter 8.0.1