Retribution Paladin DPS Mythic+ Tips — Shadowlands 9.2
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Retribution Paladin in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.2.
Unique Challenges of Mythic+
Mythic+ Dungeons, especially high ones, are arguably the peak of WoW's competitive PvE content alongside Mythic raiding.
In Mythic Dungeons, as a Retribution Paladin, you will be personally responsible for a larger part of the group's total damage output, compared to a Mythic Raiding group, where you may only be responsible for approximately 7% of it. The skill and execution of each of the individual players in the Mythic+ group is much more important.
Next to just doing damage, in Mythic+ you will be responsible for some things to make the group's run faster and easier. Interrupting, soaking mechanics, throwing some off heals, offering some blessings, and using your stun are all much more commonplace in Mythic+ than your usual Mythic raid.
In this guide, we will talk about optimizing your Paladin for Mythic+ dungeons, including the best way to configure your character, how your rotation may change, and some tips and tricks to maximize your throughput.
If you are unfamiliar with Mythic+ and its associated general mechanics, you can read more about it on our Shadowlands Mythic+ Season 2 page below.
Retribution Paladin is a decent melee DPS specializations for Mythic+ in Shadowlands. A Retribution Paladin brings strong single-target and AoE burst damage, as well as a good amount of utility through talents and the baseline kit. The main issue is the lacking mobility.
Retribution Paladin Mythic+ Build
For Mythic+ Dungeons as a Retribution Paladin, your focus will be on maximizing single-target and cleave burst damage periods. The greatest strength of a Retribution Paladin is the high throughput during cooldowns, which ties into the weaker than average throughput without cooldowns.
Note that the talents recommended below are specifically for Mythic+. If you wish to see a more generalized overview of Retribution talents, you can check our full talent page below.
These are our recommended talents for Retribution Paladin in Mythic+
|15||✓ Zeal||✗ Righteous Verdict||✗ Execution Sentence|
|25||✗ Fires of Justice||✓ Blade of Wrath||✗ Empyrean Power|
|30||✓ Fist of Justice||? Repentance||✓ Blinding Light|
|35||✓ Unbreakable Spirit||✓ Cavalier||✗ Eye for an Eye|
|40||✓ Divine Purpose||✗ Holy Avenger||✓ Seraphim|
|45||✓ Selfless Healer||✗ Justicar's Vengeance||✓ Healing Hands|
|50||✓ Sanctified Wrath||✗ Crusade||✓ Final Reckoning|
Level 15 Talents for Mythic+ as a Retribution Paladin
|✔ Zeal||✘ Righteous Verdict||✘ Execution Sentence|
Zeal is currently the recommended choice in this tier.
Level 25 Talents for Mythic+ as a Retribution Paladin
|✘ Fires of Justice||✔ Blade of Wrath||✘ Empyrean Power|
Blade of Wrath is currently the recommended choice in this tier.
Level 30 Talents for Mythic+ as a Retribution Paladin
|✔ Fist of Justice||? Repentance||✔ Blinding Light|
Here you need to choose based on your crowd-control requirements and group setup.
- Fist of Justice offers more frequent stuns.
- Repentance offers an incapacitation tool against Humanoids, Demons, Undead, Dragonkin, and Giants.
- Blinding Light offers an AoE disorient crowd-control tool, where any non-Holy damage breaks the effect. This ability is also used as AoE interrupt against crowd-controllable enemies.
Level 35 Talents for Mythic+ as a Retribution Paladin
|✔ Unbreakable Spirit||✔ Cavalier||✘ Eye for an Eye|
For more frequent defensive cooldowns, choose Unbreakable Spirit. If your group keeps running ahead of you and you struggle to keep up, choose Cavalier. For a high-level Mythic+ Dungeon, we recommend the defensive option over the mobility option.
Level 40 Talents for Mythic+ as a Retribution Paladin
|✔ Divine Purpose||✘ Holy Avenger||✔ Seraphim|
Level 45 Talents for Mythic+ as a Retribution Paladin
|✔ Selfless Healer||✘ Justicar's Vengeance||✔ Healing Hands|
Level 50 Talents for Mythic+ as a Retribution Paladin
|✔ Sanctified Wrath||✘ Crusade||✔ Final Reckoning|
Retribution Paladin Mythic+ Rotation
Both the single target and multi-target rotations do not change in Mythic+ content. For more information about the Retribution Paladin DPS rotation, refer back to the Rotation below.
Pool Holy Power towards the end of every trash pull, so that you can start spending Holy Power faster. Holy Power does not decay in combat and, once you leave combat, it takes about 20 seconds before it starts to decay.
Retribution Paladin Utility
Retribution Paladin provides support for the group through damage, healing, auras, and other additional effects listed below.
- Activate Devotion Aura to reduce all damage taken by your group by 3%. If you have multiple Paladins, use Retribution Aura to get Avenging Wrath if an ally dies.
- Activate Concentration Aura to reduce all silence and interrupt effects, as well as all fear effects (requires Pure Concentration finesse conduit).
- With a 5-second duration, Wake of Ashes is a very potent AoE stun, but it only works against Demon and Undead enemies.
- Hammer of Justice is a single target stun with a very long 6-second duration. Use it often to stun casting mobs that you cannot interrupt with Rebuke. The talent Fist of Justice allows you to use it more frequently.
- Repentance can be used to incapacitate a single Humanoid, Demon, Undead, Dragonkin, or Giant type enemy within 30 yards until you attack it. Cast it if you want to move around or delay dealing with a particularly dangerous mob. Incapacitating the leader of a patrolling group will also stop the entire group from moving. Keep in mind that you pull aggro and enter combat if you move too close to the incapacitated target.
- Blinding Light can be used to disorient enemies within 10 yards. This can be used either to take enemies out of combat for a short duration, or to AoE interrupt crowd-controllable, casting enemies.
- Turn Evil fears an Undead, Aberration, or Demon target within 20 yards for up to 40 sec.
- Cleanse Toxins can be used to remove all Poison and Disease effects from a group member.
- Blessing of Protection removes bleeds and other Physical damage effects. Additionally, it grants your target immunity to Physical damage and harmful effects for 10 seconds. It is often used on group members who pulled aggro from the tank via damage or healing.
- Blessing of Sacrifice reduces damage taken by a party member by 30%, but you suffer 100% of damage prevented. It lasts 12 seconds, or until transferred damage would cause you to fall below 20% health. Communicate with your tank and healer to plan when to use this.
- Blessing of Freedom removes and prevents movement-impairing effects for 8 seconds.
- Lay on Hands heals a friendly target for an amount equal to your maximum Health.
- The new seasonal affix Encrypted adds three relics to each of the bosses and to various packs of mobs found within each dungeon. After defeating all of these special targets, a special Automa mini-boss will spawn corresponding to the first relic which was destroyed. Once that Automa is taken down, it will give your entire group a very powerful special effect, which lasts between 10 and 60 seconds. The cooldown reduction Cypher buff ( Decrypted Urh Cypher) is very useful for Retribution Paladins.
- Destroying the Urh Relic first spawns Urh Dismantler, which grants Decrypted Urh Cypher upon defeat.
- Destroying the Wo Relic first spawns Wo Drifter, which grants Decrypted Wo Cypher upon defeat.
- Destroying the Vy Relic first spawns Vy Interceptor, which grants Decrypted Vy Cypher upon defeat.
- Use Hammer of Justice and Hand of Hindrance to crowd control the Spiteful Shade adds during Spiteful weeks.
- Use Flash of Light and Word of Glory generously during Grievous weeks. Use Blessing of Protection and Lay on Hands to remove the debuff from a group member with many stacks.
- Use Judgment and Blade of Justice to target Explosive Orbs on range.
- Communicate with the tank to use Hand of Reckoning or Blessing of Protection to help him reset his Necrotic stacks if necessary.
Best Mythic+ Covenant and Soulbinds for Retribution Paladin
Additional information about the Kyrian Retribution Paladin playstyle found on the rotation page linked below.
Conduits for Mythic+
Potency Conduits for Mythic+
Endurance Conduits for Mythic+
- Condensed Anima Sphere
- Shielding Words (with Healing Hands talented)
- Golden Path (with Selfless Healer talented)
Finesse Conduits for Mythic+
Best Mythic+ Legendaries for Retribution Paladin
Tempest of the Lightbringer is the best Legendary Power to play for overall throughput.
If you would like more information about Legendaries available to Retribution Paladin, you can visit our dedicated page by clicking the link button.
Trinket Considerations for Retribution Paladin in Mythic+
When choosing your trinkets, we recommend simulating yourself on Raidbots. Raidbots offers you the ability to simulate trinkets for Mythic+ with the DungeonSlice Fight Style option.
You also can find good trinkets to use for Mythic+ on the Gear page linked below.
- 13 Apr. 2022: Updated Level 40 and 50 talent row recommendations.
- 22 Mar. 2022: Updated for double Legendary Powers.
- 02 Mar. 2022: Updated for 9.2 Raid opening.
- 21 Feb. 2022: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.2.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.5.
- 07 Jul. 2021: Updated for Shadowlands Season 2 launch.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added Relentless Inquisitor Legendary Power note.
- 04 Mar. 2021: Updated talent recommendations for the Seraphim update.
- 16 Jan. 2021: Added Kyrian talent notes.
- 07 Dec. 2020: Page updated for Shadowlands Mythic+ Season 1 start.
- 10 Nov. 2020: Page updated for Execution Sentence and Final Reckoning changes.
- 13 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- New Heartbond Lupine Flying Animation in Patch 9.2.5
- Cool New Patch 9.2.5 Windrunner Easter Egg
- Kalimdorathon: Running Kalimdor from South to North IRL
- Patch 9.2.5 Survival Guide - Everything Coming in the World of Warcraft Update
- The Ultimate Silvermoonception
- World First Hardcore Level 99 in Diablo 2 Resurrected Ladder Season 1
- Bird's Eye View of Various World of Warcraft Maps
- Enigma Arena Changes