Fire Mage Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Dragonflight 10.0.2
Legendary Powers are targetable, unique effects that you can imbue certain base items with through the Runecarving system. In Shadowlands, these enable you to customize your Fire Mage, drastically improving your performance, and are arguably the most important aspect of your gear.
The purpose of this page is to help you pick the right legendary powers (and item slots for them) for your character, depending on the content you are interested in.
Introduction: Legendaries in Shadowlands
By doing Torghast, you can craft Legendary items through the new Runecarving system. Many of these powers are large DPS boosts, or contain strong defensive effects. However, you are only able to wear one of these at a time, and you are gated in how many you can craft over time, so it is important to know which Legendary to use in which situation. Below we go over the best Legendary effects for each situation.
With 9.2, a new Legendary is being added, Unity. This Legendary can be equipped alongside any other Legendary, allowing you to equip 2 Legendaries at once. You must wear Unity to be able to use two Legendaries.
The additional Legendary power will always be your Covenant specific Legendary. So in the caase of Night Fae Fire Mages, this will always be Heart of the Fae.
- Night Fae Heart of the Fae: Shifting Power can be channeled while moving. Each enemy hit by Shifting Power grants you 1% Critical Strike and Haste, capped to 10%, lasting 15 seconds. Keep in mind, this effect does nothing if you are not hitting any targets with Shifting Power.
- Venthyr Sinful Delight: Consuming a Fire Blast charge reduces the cooldown of Mirrors of Torment by 4 seconds. If Mirrors of Torment is dispelled, the cooldown is reduced by 45 seconds.
- Kyrian Harmonic Echo: Damage dealt to enemies affected by Radiant Spark will echo 30% of its damage to nearby targets and to the primary Radiant Spark target.
- Necrolord Death's Fathom: Your Fireball has a chance to grant Deathborne for 8 seconds, giving 15% bonus spell damage and causing Fireball to hit 2 additional targets. While in the Deathborne form, the bonus damage from Deathborn goes up by 1% for each enemy hit by Fireball.
Best Legendaries for Fire Mage
|Raiding||Sun King's Blessing||Gloves or Wrist||Sun King's Salvation|
|Mythic+||Sun King's Blessing||Gloves or Wrist||Sun King's Salvation|
|Torghast||Triune Ward||Chest or Neck||Great Vault quest.|
Below we go into more detail regarding the best legendary for each situation. If a Legendary effect is not listed, you can assume it is worse than all other options that are listed.
Best Overall Legendary for Fire Mage
Sun King's Blessing is generally the best choice for most situations, so for someone only crafting one Legendary, it is generally the best option. Keep in mind, the Legendary Sun King's Blessing does not stack with the talented version. ( Sun King's Blessing) Sun King's Blessing has rotational changes, which we have listed below. If you want to see how this looks like in the overall rotation, check out the rotation page and check the Sun King's Blessing checkbox.
Additionally, you will always use Unity as your second Legendary.
Best Raiding Legendaries for Fire Mage
Raiding usually has tight DPS checks. The top DPS option for Fire Mages is Sun King's Blessing for almost all situations. Beyond that, Fire Mages have multiple Legendaries very close in DPS to each other. These include Disciplinary Command, Firestorm, Fevered Incantation and Temporal Warp. All of these are within 0.5% of each other, with Disciplinary Command being the most flexible option.
The other potential DPS alternative is Temporal Warp (does not stack with the talented version, Temporal Warp). This can be used if the fight has a specific moment in time where extra DPS is needed, and this moment in the fight is later than when your group uses Time Warp, or during Time Warp itself. This Legendary is especially good if your group uses Time Warp (or a similar effect) right at the start of the fight, so you can use your own Time Warp together with the Time Warp of the group — they stack. If the fight then lasts more than 5 minutes, you can get at least 1 additional usage out of it. If you are the only person in the group who can supply the Time Warp (or similar) effect, this Legendary loses a lot of power and is not worth picking.
The final alternative Legendary option is Triune Ward, which can boost your survivability significantly. This is only an option when DPS is not a relevant requirement but you feel you really need more survivability.
Best Mythic+ Legendaries for Fire Mage
Sun King's Blessing is generally the highest DPS option for Mythic+, as it does the best single-target DPS while only being a bit behind on AoE. It is especially advised during Tyrannical weeks. If you want to focus primarily on AoE damage, Disciplinary Command is still ahead by a couple percent.
The other main DPS alternative is Temporal Warp, however, this is only good if your group has someone else who can supply the Time Warp (or similar) as well, and you use that other effect early on in the dungeon. If both of those conditions are met, Temporal Warp is a great option for Mythic+ to assist with specific, difficult pulls.
The final alternative Legendary option is Triune Ward, which can boost your survivability significantly. This is only an option when DPS is not a relevant requirement but you feel you really need more survivability. Especially in very high keys, you can get 1-shot by some mechanics, where Triune Ward can help you survive these 1-shots.
Best Torghast Legendaries for Fire Mage
Triune Ward is a fantastic overall defensive option for Torghast.
Grisly Icicle is a great option when soloing Torghast, as the enemies will remain frozen for the entire duration of Frost Nova even when you are DPSing them, making it very easy to kite enemies and still do damage to them. When doing Torghast as a group, this effect is mostly useless because your group will break your freezes instantly, in which case Firestorm or Fevered Incantation is the best option. Additionally, if you have no issues surviving, you can also pick one of these DPS Legendaries.
Rotation Changes with Fire Mage Legendaries
Sun King's Blessing Rotation Changes
Sun King's Blessing activates Combustion for 6 seconds after consuming 8 Hot Streak procs. If you already have Combustion active, it will extend your current Combustion by 6 seconds. To make the most of this, there are a couple of rotational changes to consider:
- If you are also running Pyroclasm, you will want to hold the Pyroclasm procs for Sun King's Blessing, as long as Pyroclasm would not expire before you would finish hardcasting Pyroblast for Sun King's Blessing.
- You should delay Rune of Power for Sun King's Blessing.
- If you are running the 4-set tier bonus: Hardcast Sun King's Blessing even when Combustion is active.
- If you have a Hot Streak active while hardcasting Pyroblast for Sun King's Blessing, do not immediately cast Pyroblast after hardcasting Pyroblast, but wait a mini second (only 0.1 second is needed). This is done because of a bug that would cause you to lose out on a stack of Sun King's Blessing if you cast it too quickly.
Disciplinary Command Rotation Changes
To assist with using Disciplinary Command, we suggest this WeakAura.
How to Activate Disciplinary Command
Disciplinary Command is a Legendary effect that greatly increases your Critical Strike damage after using a Frost, Arcane and Fire spell within 10 seconds. It does not matter in what order you cast these, as long as all 3 schools have been cast in the last 10 seconds. Below we go over the best ways to proc each part of this effect, ordered by the best way to activate that school:
- The Fire part of the effect will be active automatically at all times due to your standard rotation.
- Using Combustion while talented into Rune of Power will trigger the Arcane part of the effect.
- When running the conduit Diverted Energy, any time the effect heals you, it will count as an Arcane effect.
- Shimmer or Counterspell, if you do not need them for mechanics.
- Arcane Explosion.
- Frost Nova if you are unable to cast Frostbolt.
When to Activate Disciplinary Command
You want to activate Disciplinary Command right before Combustion, by casting a Frostbolt (or Frost Nova if you are unable to stand still for Frostbolt) and then going into your Combustion rotation. Outside of right before Combustion, you will want to activate it once between Combustions, by casting one of the Arcane triggers in the list above followed by one of the Frost triggers from above assuming you are running a 1-minute Combustion build. (Night Fae + Kindling)
What Slot Should Legendaries by Crafted For?
Generally speaking, you will want to craft legendaries for slots with the lowest "stat budget", due to them being lower item level than Fated item level. Below we have listed the items in order of stat budget from low to high:
- Neck, Rings
- Cloak, Bracers
- Gloves, Belt, Boots, Shoulders
- Helm, Chest, Legs
This leads us to the following list of Legendaries and what slot to craft them in:
- Unity: Belt
- Sun King's Blessing: Gloves if using Hyperthread Wristwraps, otherwise Wrist
- Disciplinary Command: Ring
- Firestorm: Ring
- Fevered Incantation: Hands
- Temporal Warp: Ring
- Grisly Icicle: Neck
- Triune Ward: Neck
- 20 Mar. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.7.
- 24 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- Season of Discovery Global Launch Times: When Does the Update Go Live?
- Detailed Zone Exploration of New Night Elf Capital City of Bel'ameth in Patch 10.2.5
- Weekly Catalyst Charges in Patch 10.2.5
- Dragonflight 10.2 Hotfixes, November 29th
- Method World 3rd Fyrakk Mythic Kill and 9/9 Amirdrassil
- New Love is in the Air Armor Sets in Patch 10.2.5
- Icy Veins Launches Genshin Impact Guides Section
- Dragonflight Season 3 Mythic+ DPS Log Rankings: Week 2