Fire Mage Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Shadowlands 9.1
Legendary Powers are targetable, unique effects that you can imbue certain base items with through the Runecarving system. In Shadowlands, these enable you to customize your Fire Mage, drastically improving your performance, and are arguably the most important aspect of your gear.
The purpose of this page is to help you pick the right legendary powers (and item slots for them) for your character, depending on the content you are interested in.
Introduction: Legendaries in Shadowlands
By doing Torghast, you can craft Legendary items through the new Runecarving system. Many of these powers are large DPS boosts, or contain strong defensive effects. However, you are only able to wear one of these at a time, and you are gated in how many you can craft over time, so it is important to know which Legendary to use in which situation. Below we go over the best Legendary effects for each situation.
New Legendaries in 9.1 for Fire Mages
None of the Legendaries introduced in 9.1 are better at any scenario than existing Legendaries for Fire Mages.
Best Legendaries for Fire Mage
|Raiding||Sun King's Blessing||Gloves or Wrist||Sun King's Salvation|
|Mythic+||Sun King's Blessing||Gloves or Wrist||Sun King's Salvation|
|Torghast||Triune Ward||Chest or Neck||Great Vault quest.|
Below we go into more detail regarding the best legendary for each situation. If a Legendary effect is not listed, you can assume it is worse than all other options that are listed.
Best Overall Legendary for Fire Mage
Sun King's Blessing is generally the best choice for most situations, so for someone only crafting one Legendary, it is generally the best option. Sun King's Blessing has rotational changes, which we have listed below. If you want to see how this looks like in the overall rotation, check out the rotation page and check the Sun King's Blessing checkbox.
Best Raiding Legendaries for Fire Mage
Raiding usually has tight DPS checks. The top DPS option for Fire Mages is Sun King's Blessing for almost all situations. Beyond that, Fire Mages have multiple Legendaries very close in DPS to each other. These include Disciplinary Command, Firestorm, Fevered Incantation and Temporal Warp. All of these are within 0.5% of each other, with Disciplinary Command being the most flexible option.
The other potential DPS alternative is Temporal Warp. This can be used if the fight has a specific moment in time where extra DPS is needed, and this moment in the fight is later than when your group uses Time Warp, or during Time Warp itself. This Legendary is especially good if your group uses Time Warp (or a similar effect) right at the start of the fight, so you can use your own Time Warp together with the Time Warp of the group — they stack. If the fight then lasts more than 5 minutes, you can get at least 1 additional usage out of it. If you are the only person in the group who can supply the Time Warp (or similar) effect, this Legendary loses a lot of power and is not worth picking.
The final alternative Legendary option is Triune Ward, which can boost your survivability significantly. This is only an option when DPS is not a relevant requirement but you feel you really need more survivability.
Best Mythic+ Legendaries for Fire Mage
Sun King's Blessing is generally the highest DPS option for Mythic+, as it does the best single-target DPS while only being a bit behind on AoE. It is especially advised during Tyrannical weeks. If you want to focus primarily on AoE damage, Disciplinary Command is still ahead by a couple percent.
The other main DPS alternative is Temporal Warp, however, this is only good if your group has someone else who can supply the Time Warp (or similar) as well, and you use that other effect early on in the dungeon. If both of those conditions are met, Temporal Warp is a great option for Mythic+ to assist with specific, difficult pulls.
The final alternative Legendary option is Triune Ward, which can boost your survivability significantly. This is only an option when DPS is not a relevant requirement but you feel you really need more survivability. Especially in very high keys, you can get 1-shot by some mechanics, where Triune Ward can help you survive these 1-shots.
Best Torghast Legendaries for Fire Mage
Triune Ward is a fantastic overall defensive option for Torghast.
Grisly Icicle is a great option when soloing Torghast, as the enemies will remain frozen for the entire duration of Frost Nova even when you are DPSing them, making it very easy to kite enemies and still do damage to them. When doing Torghast as a group, this effect is mostly useless because your group will break your freezes instantly, in which case Firestorm or Fevered Incantation is the best option. Additionally, if you have no issues surviving, you can also pick one of these DPS Legendaries.
Rotation Changes with Fire Mage Legendaries
Sun King's Blessing Rotation Changes
Sun King's Blessing activates Combustion for 6 seconds after consuming 8 Hot Streak procs. If you already have Combustion active, it will extend your current Combustion by 6 seconds. To make the most of this, there are a couple of rotational changes to consider:
- Whenever Sun King's Blessing procs while you are currently in Combustion, hardcast a Pyroblast.
- Outside of Combustion, whenever Sun King's Blessing procs, you want to hardcast a Pyroblast only if Rune of Power or Combustion does not come up before the buff would expire. On average, this roughly means to delay hardcasting Pyroblast for up to 10 seconds maximum to wait for Rune of Power or Combustion.
Disciplinary Command Rotation Changes
How to Activate Disciplinary Command
Disciplinary Command is a Legendary effect that greatly increases your Critical Strike damage after using a Frost, Arcane and Fire spell within 10 seconds. It does not matter in what order you cast these, as long as all 3 schools have been cast in the last 10 seconds. Below we go over the best ways to proc each part of this effect, ordered by the best way to activate that school:
- The Fire part of the effect will be active automatically at all times due to your standard rotation.
When to Activate Disciplinary Command
You want to activate Disciplinary Command right before Combustion, by casting a Frostbolt (or Frost Nova if you are unable to stand still for Frostbolt) and then going into your Combustion rotation. Outside of right before Combustion, you will want to activate it once between Combustions, by casting one of the Arcane triggers in the list above followed by one of the Frost triggers from above assuming you are running a 1-minute Combustion build. (Night Fae + Kindling)
What Slot Should Legendaries by Crafted For?
Generally speaking, you will want to craft legendaries for slots with the highest "stat budget", to maximize the stats you get from legendaries reaching the highest item level available. Below we have listed the items in order of stat budget:
- Helm, Chest, Legs
- Gloves, Belt, Boots, Shoulders
- Cloak, Bracers
- Neck, Rings
For people that actively clear Raiding, there are some situations where you might not want to do this. Since the last 2 bosses in Raiding drop higher item level loot, you will want to avoid crafting items for the slots dropped by these bosses. Additionally, you will want to avoid crafting Legendaries in slots that contain Domination Sockets. These slots are:
- Helm (Domination Socket & higher item level)
- Shoulders (Domination Socket & higher item level)
- Chest (Domination Socket)
- Wrists (Domination Socket & higher item level)
- Belt (Domination Socket & higher item level)
- Neck (higher item level)
The last 2 bosses also drop a Ring and Trinket, but this is not relevant for Legendary crafting, as you have 2 ring slots, and there are no Legendaries for the Trinket slots.
This leads us to the following list of Legendaries and what slot to craft them in:
- Disciplinary Command: Ring
- Firestorm: Ring
- Fevered Incantation: Hands
- Temporal Warp: Ring
- Grisly Icicle: Neck (although Neck exists at higher item level, there are no slots available without domination sockets)
- Triune Ward: Neck although Neck exists at higher item level, there are no slots available without domination sockets)
- 20 Aug. 2021: Expanded slightly on best M+ legendary.
- 19 Aug. 2021: Updated best Legendary to Sun King's Blessing due to buffs.
- 06 Jul. 2021: Updated slot suggestions based on raid items.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 18 Mar. 2021: Fixed incorrect link to Raiding page instead of Mythic+ page.
- 10 Mar. 2021: Removed Disciplinary Command disclaimer.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Changed BiS suggestion to Disciplinary Command due to buffs in 9.0.5.
- 02 Dec. 2020: Updated suggestions for Fevered Incantation bugfix (buff in practice) changing the legendary priority, and removed Arcane-only crafting condition for Temporal Warp due to hotfix removing this requirement.
- 26 Nov. 2020: Updated suggestions for Firestorm nerf.
- 20 Nov. 2020: Page added.
- Complete "That's the Spirit" Achievement Before Patch 9.1.5 Goes Live
- Timewalking Mage Tower Not Coming Until Early December
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: October 21st
- Official 9.1.5 Patch Notes
- Patch 9.1.5 Release Date is Novemeber 2nd/3rd!
- Official Preview of the Timewalking Mage Tower
- Kill Dunegorger Kraulok This Week for a Chance at Mollie the Alpaca Mount
- Warrior Mage Tower Set in Patch 9.1.5