Death Knight Class Changes for Shadowlands (Patch 9.0.1)
On this page, you will find a list of all Death Knight changes coming in Shadowlands.
In addition to the class changes listed here, Death Knights also gain access to class-specific Death Knight Covenant Abilities that can be used anywhere in the open world and Anima Powers that only work in Torghast.
- Anti-Magic Zone, Chains of Ice, Death and Decay, Death Coil, Lichborne, and Raise Dead will be available to all Death Knights, regardless of specialization.
- Sacrificial Pact is a new ability available at Level 54, which allows the Death Knight to sacrifice their minion to deal Shadow damage to 8 nearby enemies and heal for 25% of their maximum health.
- Anti-Magic Zone spell damage taken down to 20% (was 60%).
- Obliterate damage up to 120% (from 60%).
- Frost Fever (Rank 2) is now available to all specializations, not just Frost.
You can add five new runes to your weapon through Runeforging in Shadowlands:
- Rune of Hysteria: Affixes your rune weapon with a rune that increases maximum Runic Power by 20 and your attacks have a chance to increase Runic Power generation by 20% for 8 sec.
- Rune of Sanguination: Affixes your rune weapon with a rune that causes your Death Strike to deal increased damage, based on the target's missing health. When you fall below 35% health, you heal for 48% of your maximum health over 8 sec.
- Rune of Spellwarding: Affixes your rune weapon with a rune that deflects 3% of all spell damage and has chance to create a shield that absorbs magic damage equal to 10% of your maximum health. When an enemy damages the shield, their cast speed is reduced by 10% for 6 sec.
- Rune of Apocalypse: Affixes your rune weapon with a rune that gives
your ghoul's attacks a chance to apply one of the following debuffs to the target:
- Death: Reduces healing taken by 1%.
- War: Increases damage taken by 1%.
- Famine: Reduces damage done to the Death Knight by 2%.
- Pestilence: Slows the target by 15% and deals 150 Shadow damage over time.
- Rune of Unending Thirst: Affixes your rune weapon with a rune that grants 10% Haste and movement speed and heals you for 5% of your maximum health when you kill an enemy that yields experience or Honor. Additionally, increases your movement speed while dead by 10%.
Blood Death Knight
- Blood Tap returns as an ability available at Level 58.
- Rune Tap is now an ability rather than a talent. The spell has been moved off the global cooldown.
Blood Death Knight Talent Changes
- Rune Strike (Level 15 talent) removed.
- Tombstone is now a Level 15 talent (up from Level 30).
- Rune Tap is now an ability rather than a talent.
- Mark of Blood is now a Level 35 talent (up from Level 45).
- Death Pact is now a Level 45 talent.
- Consumption now strikes up to 8 enemies, healing increased to 150% of damage dealt.
Blood Death Knight Talent Tree
Below is the current talent tree for Blood Death Knights, as of Shadowlands Alpha 9.0.1 Build 34714.
- Level 15 Talents: Heartbreaker / Blooddrinker / Tombstone;
- Level 25 Talents: Rapid Decomposition / Hemostasis / Consumption;
- Level 30 Talents: Foul Bulwark / Ossuary / Relish in Blood;
- Level 35 Talents: Will of the Necropolis / Anti-Magic Barrier / Mark of Blood;
- Level 40 Talents: Grip of the Dead / Tightening Grasp / Wraith Walk;
- Level 45 Talents: Voracious / Death Pact / Bloodworms;
- Level 50 Talents: Purgatory / Red Thirst / Bonestorm.
Frost Death Knight
- Frost Death Knights can again choose between two One-Handed weapons or one Two-Handed weapon.
- Frostwyrm's Fury is accessible to all Frost Death Knights. Previously, the ability was a Level 45 talent.
Frost Death Knight Talent Changes
- Hypothermic Presence is a new Level 45 talent that halves the Runic Power cost of abilities for a moderate amount of time.
- Frostscythe now strikes up to 5 enemies.
Frost Death Knight Talent Tree
Below is the current talent tree for Frost Death Knights.
- Level 15 Talents: Inexorable Assault / Icy Talons / Cold Heart;
- Level 25 Talents: Runic Attenuation / Murderous Efficiency / Horn of Winter;
- Level 30 Talents: Death's Reach / Asphyxiate / Blinding Sleet;
- Level 35 Talents: Avalanche / Frozen Pulse / Frostscythe;
- Level 40 Talents: Permafrost / Wraith Walk / Death Pact;
- Level 45 Talents: Gathering Storm / Hypothermic Presence / Glacial Advance;
- Level 50 Talents: Icecap / Obliteration / Breath of Sindragosa.
Unholy Death Knight
- All Unholy Death Knights can now use Summon Gargoyle (previously a Level 50 talent).
- Mastery: Dreadblade now benefits both master and servant.
- Outbreak's Area-of-Effect range increased to 10 yards (was 8 yards).
- Virulent Plague now lasts 27 seconds (was 21 seconds).
Unholy Death Knight Talent Changes
- Magus of the Dead functionality has been baked into Army of the Damned (new Level 50 talent).
- Unholy Blight (Level 25 Talent) makes your Minions deal 5% increased damage to enemies affected by it and the debuff stacks up to 4 times.
Unholy Death Knight Talent Tree
Below is the current talent tree for Unholy Death Knights.
- Level 15 Talents: Infected Claws / All Will Serve / Clawing Shadows;
- Level 25 Talents: Bursting Sores / Ebon Fever / Unholy Blight;
- Level 30 Talents: Grip of the Dead / Death's Reach / Asphyxiate;
- Level 35 Talents: Pestilent Pustules / Harbinger of Doom / Soul Reaper;
- Level 40 Talents: Spell Eater / Wraith Walk / Death Pact;
- Level 45 Talents: Pestilence / Epidemic / Defile;
- Level 50 Talents: Army of the Damned / Unholy Pact / Unholy Frenzy.
More Patch 9.0.1 Class Changes
You can find other Patch 9.0.1 class changes linked below.
- 13 Jul. 2020: Unholy Blight changed.
- 20 Jun. 2020: Frost Fever (Rank 2) is now available to all specializations.
- 15 Jun. 2020: Rune Tap moved off GCD. Virulent Plague duration increased.
- 09 Jun. 2020: Reviewed for Alpha Build 34615.
- 02 Jun. 2020: Updated intro with links to Anima Powers and Covenant Abilities.
- 25 May 2020: Reviewed for Alpha Build 34490.
- 08 May 2020: Reviewed for Alpha Build 34278.
- 29 Apr. 2020: Updated spell tag for Cold Heart in talents.
- 28 Apr. 2020: Updated for Alpha Build 34137.
- 21 Apr. 2020: Page added.
- Old Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction Trailer Upscaled to 4K
- Suspensions Coming for Green Scepter Shard Griefing
- Blizzard at Gamescom 2020
- The Great Vault Mythic Dungeons Item Choices Explained
- Patch 8.3.7 and Classic Hotfixes: July 31st
- Ectoplasmic Distiller Hotfix: July 31st
- Night Elf Male Blindfold Customization Option in Shadowlands
- Shadowlands Beta 9.0.1 Build 35360: Class Changes