Frost Death Knight DPS Mythic+ Tips — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Frost Death Knight in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5.
Frost Death Knight in Mythic+
Frost Death Knight is a very powerful melee in Mythic+ offering high burst AoE damage, it can also offer good consistent AoE damage. Frost Death Knights do not have strong damage mitigation making it difficult to survive certain encounters in high Mythic+ keystones.
Frost Death Knight Mythic+ Rotation
The single target and multi-target rotations do not change in Mythic+ content. For more information about the Frost Death Knight rotation, refer to the Rotation, Cooldowns, and Abilities page.
Frost Death Knight Utility
- Death Grip is an iconic Death Knight spell that pulls an enemy that you are targeting to you. Use this to stack enemies that are far apart together to maximize cleave damage. This can also be used as an extra interrupt or to interrupt casts that cannot be interrupted by Mind Freeze. Another great application of this ability is to pull mobs out of Sanguine pools.
- Mind Freeze is Death Knight's interrupt ability. This should be used to interrupt near the end of the target's cast time as they do not attack while casting a spell so it will minimize damage on the tanks. It is recommended you communicate your interrupts with the rest of your group so you do not end up overlapping interrupts.
- Anti-Magic Shell is your magic soaking ability. This ability can be used to generate Runic Power by soaking magic damage. If you cast Anti-Magic Shell before a magical debuff would be applied to you such as Bursting, the Anti-Magic Shell will prevent the application of the debuff.
- Wraith Walk is a movement talent ability that increases your movement speed by 70% for 4 seconds and removes all root effects. This talent should be taken if you are expecting to be slowed or rooted multiple times in a short period of time. This talent has lost some of the value it had due to Death's Advance being baseline and having close to the same effect.
- Dark Succor is a proc that occurs whenever you kill an enemy, and grants you a free cast of Death Strike. This can be very useful if your group is taking high amounts of AoE damage.
- Death Pact is an utility talent that provides you a heal for 50% of your maximum health. This is incredibly useful in Grievous or Bursting where sometimes the damage your group is taking can overwhelm your healer.
Mythic+ Talents for Frost Death Knights
Below are the suggested talents for Mythic+. These talents are recommended for all affixes and keystone levels. For more information on particular talents and when to use them, refer to the Builds and Talents page.
|56||✗ Inexorable Assault||✗ Icy Talons||✓ Cold Heart|
|57||✓ Runic Attenuation||✗ Murderous Efficiency||✓ Horn of Winter|
|58||? Death's Reach||✓ Asphyxiate||? Blinding Sleet|
|60||✗ Avalanche||✓ Frozen Pulse||✓ Frostscythe|
|75||? Permafrost||? Wraith Walk||? Death Pact|
|90||✓ Gathering Storm||? Glacial Advance||✓ Frostwyrm's Fury|
|100||✗ Icecap||? Obliteration||✓ Breath of Sindragosa|
In Battle for Azeroth, there are three tiers of affixes, and one seasonal affix. Every keystone will have at least one affix, with new affixes being added at keystone levels 4 and 7, and the season affix being added at level 10.
Tier One Affixes
- Fortified increases the Health pool of all non-boss enemies by 20% and damage dealt by 30%.
- Tyrannical increases the Health pool of boss enemies by 40% and their damage dealt by 15%.
Fortified and Tyrannical are the two affixes that every player will see. These affixes shift the focus of Mythic+ from boss to trash depending on the week. Frost Death Knights have a much easier time with Fortified due to their high burst AoE damage however they struggle with high level Mythic+ Tyrannical bosses due to their lack of mitigation.
Tier Two Affixes
- Bolstering causes dying enemies to increase the maximum health and damage of other nearby enemies by 20%. To counter this affix, DPS all mobs down evenly and focus on the highest health pool enemies first. You should stick to Frostscythe, Frostwyrm's Fury, and Remorseless Winter to evenly cleave down packs of mobs. If you stagger the health of each mob in a trash pack too much that can lead to the last few mobs having a lot of health and will deal too much damage to your tank.
- Raging increases the damage dealt by enemies below 30% health by 100% until they die. This affix is the opposite to Bolstering; when a non-boss target falls below 30% health remaining you want to switch your attention towards that mob and minimize damage on any other mobs that are close to Raging threshold. If there are multiple enemies that are raging you should maximize your AoE damage onto them to minimize damage onto your tank.
- Teeming adds additional trash mobs to certain packs throughout each dungeon.
- Sanguine places a pool of blood on the ground when a mob is slain. This pool will heal remaining enemies who stay inside the zone and also damage players. Positioning yourself around these pools while maintaining uptime onto your target is very important. Death Knights also have an utility cooldown in Death Grip which you can use to pull mobs out of Sanguine. Make sure to tell your group when you are Death Gripping a mob so you do not overlay it with another cooldown such as Shining Force or Typhoon.
- Bursting causes enemies to detonate when slain, afflicting the group with a stacking debuff that causes players to suffer 10% of their maximum health in damage every four seconds. This affix will require you to control your AoE. You want to try to stay below 5 stacks of Bursting as any more will most likely kill you. Anti-Magic Shell does absorb the damage from Bursting, and if you cast Anti-Magic Shell before the Bursting is applied it will prevent the application of the magic debuff.
Tier Three Affixes
- Volcanic spawns volcanic plumes underneath and around players when in combat with any enemy. When damaged by Volcanic, players suffer 50% of their maximum health in damage. The more enemies you are in combat with, the more volcanic plumes will spawn.
- Grievous afflicts players with a stacking damage over time effect when they fall below 90%. You can use Anti-Magic Shell or Death Pact to prevent the damage from this debuff. It is recommended that you save Death Pact for higher stacks of Grievous due to how much it heals.
- Quaking will periodically attempt to interrupt casters by creating a damaging zone around each player. About 3 seconds after the zone forms, it will deal 20% maximum health in damage to each player caught in the zone and interrupt any casts being finished during the shockwave.
- Explosive will occasionally spawn Explosive Orbs that need to be targeted and burned down within a short period of time or they will deal significant damage to the party. Explosive Orbs are not cleavable and the amount of orbs that spawn scales with the amount of enemies pulled. If your group does not have a good composition to handle explosive orbs then you can use abilities such as Obliterate, Frost Strike, or Chains of Ice with the talent Cold Heart in order to kill the orbs.
- Necrotic debuffs the target of enemy melee swings with stacking healing reduction and a minor damage over time effect. You can use Remorseless Winter in order to slow mob packs for your tank or Death Grip/ Asphyxiate to prevent single mobs from refreshing Necrotic stacks on your tank.
- Skittish reduces the amount of threat generated by tanks throughout the dungeon.
Beguiling adds unique mobs called "Emissaries" throughout each dungeon that is Level 10 or higher. Each emissary has a different effect and is dealt with in a certain way.
- Enchanted Emissary — Causes nearby mobs to reflect up to 200% of damage done to them. When you attack this Emissary, it is knocked back, making it easier to separate from the rest of the pack. It has too much health to be killed, but it has an Energy bar that will deplete over 30 seconds, after which the Emissary will despawn.
- Void-Touched Emissary — This mob detects Stealth and Invisibility effects, and casts Queen's Decree: Hide, which deals damage to everyone within line of sight, in a 60-yard radius. It also applies a debuff that increases everyone's Shadow damage taken by 50%. These mobs have a modest amount of health, and when they reach 1 health, they will teleport out of the dungeon.
- Emissary of the Tides — This causes all nearby mobs to be immune to all Crowd Control effects. This includes interrupts, snares, slows, and roots, as well as everything else. These mobs have a modest amount of health, and when they reach 1 health, they will teleport out of the dungeon.
The layout of Emissaries in dungeons changes every week.
Mythic+ Azerite Traits
- Frozen Tempest causes your Remorseless Winter to deal additional damage and you gain a Rime proc the first time it hits 3 different enemies. The Rime proc is very easy to gain in Mythic+ due to packs of mobs usually having at least 3 mobs. This trait also synergizes very well with the trait Echoing Howl.
- Echoing Howl causes your Rime empowered Howling Blast to surround you in an icy wind dealing Frost damage to nearby enemies. This trait synergizes very well with Frozen Tempest however by itself it is still a very powerful AoE trait.
- 17 Jul. 2019: Added information on the new seasonal affix.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 16 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 22 Jan. 2019: Updated for the release of BfA Season 2.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 30 Sep. 2018: Changed the recommended talents.
- 12 Aug. 2018: Page added for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- The 15-year WoW Anniversary Event Starts this Week!
- BlizzCon 2019 in 3 Minutes
- Pathfinder Removal for Old Expansions in Shadowlands (Speculation)
- The Mysterious Jailer is the Main Villain in Shadowlands
- MMO-Champion BlizzCon 2019 Interview
- Dying & Corpse Running in the Shadowlands
- MrGM BlizzCon 2019 Interview
- Tier Sets Won't Be Returning in WoW Shadowlands
- 15-Year Anniversary Event
- Warlock Leveling Guide
- Rogue Leveling Guide
- Venthyr Covenant
- Night Fae Covenant
- Necrolord Covenant
- Kyrian Covenant
- Covenants Hub