How To Improve As Frost Death Knight — Dragonflight 10.2
On this page, you will find out how you can improve at playing Frost Death Knight in World of Warcraft — Dragonflight 10.2. We list the common mistakes that you should try to avoid and the small details that can greatly improve your performance.
Not Capping Runes or Runic Power
Because you can have 3 Runes recharging at the same time, any time you are holding 4 or more Runes, you are effectively capped on Runes and wasting potential Rune regeneration. There is never a point in your play where it would be valuable to not cast anything or where you need more than 3 Runes saved up; always keep 3 Runes on cooldown.
Similarly, every point of Runic Power you generate when already at maximum Runic Power is a fraction of a lost Frost Strike. There are instances when you will overcap Runic Power because you are prioritizing not overcapping on Runes, especially in AoE. This is fine and expected behavior.
Not Managing Your GCDs in Your Obliteration Window
When playing the Obliteration talent, your damage is highly dependent on your Pillar of Frost windows. If you mess these up ever so slightly, it will have a significant impact on your DPS.
It is crucial that you only use the correct abilities in your Pillar window. Some exceptions exist, but using things like Abomination Limb or Remorseless Winter (in Single Target) is a bad idea!
It is also important that you trigger your first Killing Machine as soon as possible. We recommend either creating a macro that casts Pillar of Frost and then immediately uses Howling Blast, Frost Strike or Glacial Advance (one macro for each), or just being very quick with your fingers.
Making Sure not to Accidentally Cancel Breath of Sindragosa
There is a macro that will prevent this from occurring, which is provided in the Macros and Addons section.
High Icy Talons and Unleashed Frenzy Uptime
If you are running the talents Icy Talons or Unleashed Frenzy (you pretty much always will), then you want to make sure to use your Runic Power frequently. One way of doing this more easily is to naturally weave your abilities. Don't press multiple Frost Strike in a row, instead use an ability in between to better keep up your buffs!
Pooling Resources for Breath of Sindragosa
If you are running the talent Breath of Sindragosa, then you have noticed it draining your Runic Power fairly quickly. To maximize the duration of your Breath of Sindragosa, you want to start pooling Runic Power properly before you cast it. For any non-lusted Breath, pool 100+!
Using Anti-Magic Shell on Non-Magical Damage
The defensive cooldown Anti-Magic Shell only absorbs magical damage, therefore making it useless when it comes to physical damage. A common mistake is people casting it to protect against physical damage and not gaining the benefit of a defensive absorb or the Runic Power generation. Make sure you know if an ability from a boss is a physical or magical ability.
- 06 Nov. 2023: Updated for Patch 10.2.
- 04 Sep. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.7
- 10 Jul. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.5.
- 01 Jun. 2023: Updated talents and reworded Mythic+ rotation text.
- 01 May 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.
- 20 Mar. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.7.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Reviewed for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 25 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- Liquid World 2nd Fyrakk Mythic Kill and Amirdrassil 9/9
- Fyr'alath Legendary Axe Revealed After Mythic Fyrakk Kill
- Echo Claim the Fyrakk Mythic World First and Win the Amirdrassil RWF!
- Liquid Grab Their Own 1% Wipe, 0.09% Better Than Echo's!
- Insane 1% Wipe From Echo on Fyrakk
- The Most Popular Specializations for Mythic+ in Dragonflight Season 3 Week 2
- Mythic+ Affix Rotation for Dragonflight Season 3
- New Explorer's Cosmetic Weapons Coming in Patch 10.2.5