Frost Mage Essences — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, we go over the Essence system in Patch 8.3 of World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth, and we tell you which are the best essences to use as Frost Mage, both for minor and major powers. Please refer to our Patch 8.3 Essence Guide for more information about the new essences introduced in Patch 8.3 and to our Essence guide for more general information about the Essence system and where Essences can be obtained from.
Azerite Essences for Frost Mages
Introduced in Patch 8.2, Essences are unique items that drop from various forms of content. They are activated through your Heart of Azeroth, and they buff your character in various ways, depending on the Essences that are currently active.
For more information about essences, please check out the following:
- our Essence Guide, with all the essences and how to get them;
- our article on the new essences from Patch 8.3;
- our list of Patch 8.3 essence changes.
What follows on this page will relate directly to how Essences affect this spec, since generic information is beyond the scope of this guide.
Essence Choices for Frost Mage
Condensed Life-Force ( Guardian of Azeroth) is by far the best Major trait and you should be using this at Rank 3 as soon as possible. Even in AoE, this trait is still in the top rankings.
Minor traits can be pretty flexible, although without PVPing to get Conflict and Strife ( Strife), you are basically locked into some combination of The Crucible of Flame ( Ancient Flame), Memory of Lucid Dreams ( Lucid Dreams), Essence of the Focusing Iris ( Focused Energy), and Breath of the Dying. See below for all minor combinations with each Major selection.
Due to the above the best options are Condensed Life-Force ( Condensed Life-Force) Major, with Memory of Lucid Dreams ( Lucid Dreams) as Minor. When your second Minor opens up, add Essence of the Focusing Iris ( Focused Energy), as seen below in the simulations. Breath of the Dying should take your third minor slot, as it provides valuable Corruption resistance as well as being a very strong effect.
Worldvein Resonance ( Lifeblood) deserves special mention. With even just a few members of your raid using it as a Minor trait, there is an incredibly high uptime on all four Lifeblood Shards. At five stacked members of your raid, it surpasses most other Minor options, and it only gets better with more members providing more coverage area for fights where you do not want to be stacked.
Essence Simulations and Notes
The simulations in this section are all Minor variants for each given Major. The top 20 will be displayed.
It should be noted that this is using the base T25 simulation profile, which is no-Ice Lance and using all Rank 3 Essences. These will not be accurate for all characters and should only be used as a guideline. Using a Rank 1 or Rank 2 Essence will, sometimes drastically, change the outcome of any given comparison.
Simulate your own character for accurate results.
- 13 Jan. 2020: Updated for 8.3's new Essences.
- 20 Jul. 2019: Added a quick note for which Essence is best.
- 08 Jul. 2019: Updated with simulations and notes on each Essence.
- 24 Jun. 2019: Added page.
- This Week's Great for Unlocking Allied Races
- 33 Druids vs Onyxia
- Skip Warlords of Draenor Intro at Level 90
- MDI 2020 Moving to Remote Broadcasts
- Make WoW Look Like a Painting Without Any Mods
- How Gold Farming in WoW Lead to the Steam Workshop
- World of Warcraft Fan Art of r/wow Part Two
- Notable Battle for Azeroth Quest Givers Depicted as Animals
- Tortollan Seekers Reputation
- Death Knight Leveling
- Vengeance Demon Hunter 8.3
- Patch 8.3 Jewelcrafting Changes
- Class Changes Hub
- Affliction Warlock 8.3
- Survival Hunter 8.3