Outlaw Rogue DPS Easy Mode — Shadowlands 9.1
On this page, we explain how to easily play Outlaw Rogue in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.1, using the simplest rotation, talent tree, stat priority, gear setup, etc., without sacrificing performance.
If you are new to the class or spec, it is best advised to start slow by starting with a straightforward build to get a better handle on the core mechanics and interactions. This build is only marginally worse than the most optimal way to play the spec, so there is no need to worry at all about potentially lagging behind fellow Rogue players while you get to know the foundations of Outlaw.
The Basics for Outlaw Rogue
Outlaw is a specialization that revolves around the management of several personal buffs. Once you acquire the correct types of buffs, you build Combo Points to unleash in powerful and bursty finishers. In this section we will be focusing on a setup that minimizes the amount of buttons and reactivity necessary without unduly compromising overall damage output.
If you are completely new to Outlaw Rogue and need more information on the abilities available to you, you can check out our Spell Summary page.
Talent Choice for Outlaw Rogue
These choices are optimized for ease of use. While some talents can be better in certain situations, this build works very well in all types of content while being not nearly as punishing for unfamiliarity with the core principles of the spec.
- Level 15: Quick Draw
- Level 25: Acrobatic Strikes
- Level 30: Deeper Stratagem
- Level 35: Cheat Death
- Level 40: Dirty Tricks
- Level 45: Alacrity
- Level 50: Blade Rush
For more in-depth analysis on each of the talent choices and the reasoning behind the aforementioned build as the go-to for ease of use, check out the Talent section below.
Best Covenant, Soulbind and Conduits for Outlaw Rogue
We recommend selecting Necrolord as your Covenant and Bonesmith Heirmir as your Soulbind. Necrolord is a solid Covenant choice that offers lot of flexibility and even more survivability, while greatly boosting your damage for single-target, cleave and AoE. It is good for both raids and Mythic+. Kyrian is slightly better in pure single-target situations.
Choose these Conduits for your Outlaw Rogue:
- Potency: Count the Odds, Sleight of Hand and your Covenant specific Conduit (unless you play Night Fae).
- Finesse: Quick Decisions and Fade to Nothing.
- Endurance: Recuperator and Cloaked in Shadows.
When playing any Covenant other than Night Fae, make sure to use your covenant specific Conduit as your second Potency Conduit.
You can find out more about all four Covenants, as well as all Soulbinds and Conduits in our comprehensive Covenant section:
Stat Choice for Outlaw Rogue
Currently, you will want to prioritize stats as follows:
- Critical Strike;
You can learn more about what each stat does for you and which stats are the best for each situation by heading to our stats page.
Legendary Choices for Outlaw Rogue
For more information on other legendary powers and a more detailed explanation as to why these are the best legendary powers available to Outlaw, check out our dedicated legendary page:
Basic Rotational Priority for Outlaw Rogue
Always make sure to have Instant Poison applied.
- Use Adrenaline Rush on cooldown.
- Activate Blade Flurry if more than one target is present and stacked.
- Use Roll the Bones on cooldown unless you have True Bearing, Broadside, 2 buffs that are not Grand Melee and Buried Treasure or a 5 buff.
- Use Blade Rush on cooldown.
- Maintain Slice and Dice.
- Cast Between the Eyes on cooldown when you have 5+ Combo Points.
- Use your Covenant ability on cooldown.
- Cast Sinister Strike to generate Combo Points.
- Cast Pistol Shot when you have an Opportunity proc and less than 5 Combo Points.
- Cast Dispatch when you have 5+ Combo Points.
By following the link you will be able to find a more detailed version of this priority list for both single-target and AoE, as well as deeper explanation into some of the core concepts of Outlaw gameplay. If you'd like to know more about how to pool energy properly or how different talents require a different opener, check out the Rotation section of this guide.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Updated Covenant recommendation.
- 13 Feb. 2021: Updated Legendaries, Conduits and rotational priorities.
- 24 Dec. 2020: Updates Roll the Bones priorities, added poison recommendation.
- 02 Dec. 2020: Updated talent recommendations and stat priorities.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands release, added Covenant, Legendary and Conduit recommendations, updated talent and stat suggestions.
- 28 Oct. 2020: Updated stat priority and Essence recommendation.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- A Different Kind of Letter from Activision Blizzard Executive Fran Townsend
- J. Allen Brack's Internal Email to Blizzard Employees
- Domination Socket Helper Addon
- Sanctum of Domination Mythic Race: The Top 5
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 22nd
- Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Alleges Sexual Harrasment, Discrimination and More
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 21st
- Classic Torghast: 0 Score and Getting Stuck With Anima Power