Shadow Priest DPS Stat Priority — Shadowlands 9.1
On this page, you will find out the optimal stat priority for your Shadow Priest. We first present the stat priority, before delving into more complex explanations. Our content is updated for World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.1.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Shadow Priest stat priority.
General Stat Priority
The general stat priority for a Shadow Priest is:
- Haste = Mastery;
- Critical Strike;
Intellect is by far our best stat, beating everything quite handily. This means gaining item level will typically be better than always having the most optimal secondary stats, as long as that piece is an Intellect increase. After Intellect you ideally want Haste and/or Mastery on just about every piece of gear you can get your hands on. Haste has huge scaling potential with almost every spell in our toolkit, making it incredibly valuable. Mastery has great synergy with a few of our talents and our best raiding Legendary Talbadar's Stratagem. Critical Strike is typically right behind both of these stats, especially with Auspicious Spirits and Hungering Void. Versatility is the last stat we would like to see on a piece, but it is not super far behind in any case.
This is pretty generic advice, but should be good enough for starting out to gear your Shadow Priest. Be sure to sim yourself on various fight types to get an idea of what stats YOUR character wants.
Check out the video guide below to learn how to best prep your Shadow Priest.
Keep in mind that secondary stats now diminish in value. This point starts to diminish for Haste, Critical Strike, and Versatility at 30%, meaning it takes more rating starting at this point and rising from there to get a percentage point. For Mastery, this starts at 19% for Shadow Priests, since our Mastery point conversion value is at 0.5, bringing the cap to 15%, and we have 4% base Mastery, giving us a start to the diminishing return value at 19%. These are not points to aim for, just keep in mind once you hit these points, you will see the value of that stat diminish slightly.
These statistics have been obtained by combining common sense, in-game testing, and simulations using SimulationCraft.
Gems, Enchants, and Consumables
The gems, enchants, and consumables you will use are directly derived from your stat priority and you can find our advice on this topic in our dedicated page.
Shadow Priest: Getting a Better Understanding
Intellect is your primary stat. You should look for this stat in all of your upgrades. It provides you with Spell Power, which increases the damage of your spells.
Critical Strike increases your chance to critically hit with all spells and abilities.
Haste increases your spell casting speed and the tick rate of your periodic effects.
Mastery ( Mastery: Shadow Weaving) increases the damage of your spells for each damage over time effect you have active on that target. This only works with Shadow Word: Pain, Vampiric Touch, and Devouring Plague. While Voidform is active you get the benefit on every target as it they had all three dots active.
Versatility increases all your damage and healing done, and decreases all damage taken.
- 06 Jul. 2021: Updated video link.
- 29 Jun. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.1; no changes are needed.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 11 Jan. 2021: Updated stat priority from new Mastery calculations.
- 03 Jan. 2021: Added embedded video guide.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated stat rankings for Shadowlands launch.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- J. Allen Brack Game Maker's Notebook Interview From Just Before the Lawsuit
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: August 2nd
- Fly Without a Mount, Cast Spells, Even in Instances on BCC PTR!
- Sanctum of Domination Mythic and Heroic DPS Log Rankings, Week 4: A Look At Individual Bosses
- Teldrassil Animated Wallpaper Engine and Fan Art (Both During and Pre-Burning)
- Advanced Nightborne Customization (Fan Concept)
- The Most Popular DPS for Mythic+ in Shadowlands Season 2 (Week of July 27)
- Korthia Rift Treasures Suggested Map, Route and Tips