Shadow Priest DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Shadowlands 9.1
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Shadow Priest in World of Warcraft Shadowlands 9.1.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Shadow Priest gear and best in slot.
Gearing a Shadow Priest
Welcome to our Gearing Page for Shadow Priest, this section will cover everything you need to know about equipping your character correctly.
If you are more of a visual learner, you can watch the video guide version of this guide instead. I would suggest reading this side-by-side during the video to absorb the information the best. A full video will be published soon, but for now the survival guide gives you all the info you need for this patch.
If you have a new piece of gear that you need gems and enchants advice for, you can find everything you need on our dedicated page below.
While gearing, item level is rather important, mainly due to the relative value increase of primary stats. In the case of Shadow, this means we want to prioritize Intellect first over any other stat; in other words, item level of gear will generally be the most important factor when looking at replacing something. Secondary stats are still important as well, however, and currently Shadow wants to focus on acquiring as much Haste and Mastery as it can. Critical Strike and Versatility are both lower in value. If it is not an obvious choice, sim your own character to find out. For a more detailed explanation, you can read the Simulations page.
While we heavily recommend simming yourself, you can find some of our general simulations on the dedicated page below.
Mythic+ rewards gear based upon the keystone level you complete
Depending on the type of content you are doing, you will be crafting and equipping a Legendary Item for your character. To craft these, you need to gather different crafting materials, as well as learn the power associated with the Legendary you want to use. The guide below tells you everything you need to know while crafting your best Legendary as a Shadow Priest. The BiS list below will give recommendations for each slot, so you have options on which piece to craft depending on what gear you have.
With the release of Patch 9.1, we now have access to a new system of sockets, Shards of Domination, usually referred to as Domination Sockets. These sockets are different from normal ones, and only exist on specific pieces of gear from the new Sanctum of Domination raid environment (5 in total). The sockets correspond to one of three types: Blood, Frost, and Unholy, with each type having 3 different Shard options. Each of these options is either a damage, healing, or defense Shard, meaning there are 3 total of each type. Furthermore, having all 3 of one type of socket gets you a socket set bonus for some extra throughput. This means the optimal setup will have you run all 3 Shards of one type, and the other 2 DPS throughput Shards of the other type.
Shard of Domination Socket Order for Shadow Priests
- Shard of Dyz
- Shard of Dyz + Shard of Bek
- Triple Unholy Shard
- Triple Unholy Shard + Shard of Bek
- Triple Unholy Shard + Shard of Bek + Shard of Cor
Each Shard can be upgraded 4 times, meaning each Shard has a total of 5 ranks. By upgrading all Shards of one type you also upgrade the set bonus attached to that set of Shards. This is where the majority of the power gains come from and should be prioritized in roughly this order:
- Upgrade Shard of Dyz, Shard of Zed, and Shard of Oth together to maximize set bonus gains (i.e. upgrade all three to rank 2 before upgrading Dyz to rank 3);
- Shard of Bek;
- Shard of Cor.
If you would like to know more about the remaining Domination Shards' effects, their set bonuses, or how to upgrade their effects into even more potent forms, please see our official guide detailing everything about this new system of Patch 9.1:
With the large variety of trinkets and different item levels, specific sets of sims have been run to help you decide which trinkets to aim at getting as a Shadow Priest. You can use the Composite rankings for generic raid performance, while single-target is specific to 1-target sims with mixed movement to gauge performance.
- Composite Trinket Rankings
- Composite Trinket Combo Rankings
- Single Target Trinket Rankings
- Single Target Trinket Combo Rankings
Many people have a tendency to overthink the distribution of their secondary stats. An important thing to remember is that a higher quantity of stats is nearly always better than a better quality of stats. Because of this, wearing higher item level gear with worse stats tends to be better than lower item level gear with great stats. Keep this in mind when considering gear. For more stats information, please refer to our dedicated page.
Pre-Raid Best in Slot Gear
This item list is specific to pre-raid gearing and focuses on the best gear to get before stepping into Sanctum of Domination. Most of these pieces will come from dungeons, but you can also fill in some slots from the previous raid of Castle Nathria.
Note that Mythic+ gear can drop up to 236 item level with up to 252 coming from the weekly Great Vault. Tazavesh, the Veiled Market is the new mega-dungeon that, while not available for Mythic+, does drop 226 gear (or 233 on hard mode) and can be helpful in your gearing process. Because it does not scale since it is not available in Mythic+, none of these pieces will be BiS, but the following are good drops if you still need 226 or 233 pieces:
- Drape of Titanic Dreams — Hylbrande
- Staff of Fractured Spacetime — So'leah
- Perfectly-Forged Credentials — Quest Reward
Note that there are plenty of alternative items that are also good, just look for Haste pieces with ideally Mastery on them.
Best in Slot Gear from All Sources
The list below shows the best piece of gear for each individual slot that drops in Sanctum of Domination. Alternatives will be listed from Mythic+ anytime the raid-drop piece is not well itemized. This means you will need to get lucky with your weekly vault to get comparable item level though.
Many of the slots are set in stone due to Domination Sockets, these pieces will be marked specifically and should be targeted over alternatives.
Perfectly-Forged Credentials will be a great Neck to grab while gearing up as the proc adds a decent amount of "item level" to the piece making it roughly on par with other Heroic-level necks. This assumes the neck you are comparing it to ALSO does not have a socket; it is likely not worth putting a socket into this new neck just to replace an old one. You are better off keeping your current neck until you get a Heroic/Mythic one to socket.
Note that if you can get Empyreal Ordnance or Inscrutable Quantum Device at item level 252 (or equivalent to your existing trinkets), these are both very competitive options in addition to our BiS Soulletting Ruby.
- 23 Jul. 2021: Clarified upgrade path for Shards of Domination.
- 18 Jul. 2021: Swapped out trinket charts for links to the Priest sim page.
- 13 Jul. 2021: Clarify domination socket note.
- 06 Jul. 2021: Added video link and updated gear rankings from latest hotfixes.
- 01 Jul. 2021: Added Tome of Insight as 2nd BiS trinket.
- 29 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Removed note about Tablet of Despair.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added note about Tablet of Despair.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added Valor section.
- 07 Feb. 2021: Added overall BiS list.
- 11 Jan. 2021: Updated BiS lists as per stat priority change.
- 07 Dec. 2020: Fixed Raid BiS weapons and adjusted pre-raid Trinket BiS.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands launch with Pre-Raid and Raid BiS lists
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Last Man Standing Secures World Top 10, US Top 3 Sylvanas Defeat!
- Player Reaches Level 56 Without Leaving Exile's Reach
- Production on World of Warcraft Halted Due to Ongoing Lawsuit
- Army of 300 NPCs Destroy the Horde
- Josh "Lore" Allen About Mike Morhaime's Response and the Lawsuit
- Blizzard Staff Respond to Lawsuit and Internal Mails
- Updated: (Comments on Afrasiabi) Chris Metzen's Response to the Activision Blizzard Lawsuit
- Teldrassil Vengeance "Eye for an Eye" Machinima