Shadow Priest DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Shadowlands 9.2.5
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Shadow Priest in World of Warcraft Shadowlands 9.2.5.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Shadow Priest gear and best in slot.
Gearing a Shadow Priest
Welcome to our Gearing Page for Shadow Priest, this section will cover everything you need to know about equipping your character correctly.
If you have a new piece of gear that you need gems and enchants advice for, you can find everything you need on our dedicated page below.
While gearing, item level is rather important, mainly due to the relative value increase of primary stats. In the case of Shadow, this means we want to prioritize Intellect first over any other stat; in other words, item level of gear will generally be the most important factor when looking at replacing something. Secondary stats are still important as well, however, and currently Shadow wants to focus on acquiring as much Haste and Mastery as it can. Critical Strike and Versatility are both lower in value. If it is not an obvious choice, sim your own character to find out. For a more detailed explanation, you can read the Simulations page.
While we heavily recommend simming yourself, you can find some of our general simulations on the dedicated page below.
Depending on the type of content you are doing, you will be crafting and equipping a Legendary Item for your character. To craft these, you need to gather different crafting materials, as well as learn the power associated with the Legendary you want to use. The guide below tells you everything you need to know while crafting your best Legendary as a Shadow Priest. The BiS list below will give recommendations for each slot, so you have options on which piece to craft depending on what gear you have.
As of Patch 9.2 the Domination shards and set bonuses are not relevant for new content. These only work in Torghast, Korthia, and the Maw. This is also true for Season 4 with the return of Fated Raids. Even though Sanctum is in the rotation these effects are still not active.
Tier 28 Set Bonus
With the release of the raid we will start to acquire our Tier Set gear which enables the following set effects:
You can not only acquire these set bonus items from Sepulcher of the First Ones directly, but you can also use the Creation Catalyst on any other Season 4 piece to create tier as well. The set bonus is upwards of 15% single target DPS increase for Shadow, so you will want to prioritize getting this ASAP. This does change up the rotation priority in certain scenarios, so be sure to check out the Rotation page for exactly how to optimize for tier set damage.
Crafting Tier Gear
After you progress enough through the Zereth Mortis campaign you will also get access to the Creation Catalyst. This gives you the ability to transform any Season 4 piece into a piece with the tier set bonus effect. This will give you the ability to craft your way to the tier if you have unfortunate luck getting it to drop in the raid or your vault.
Note the item level of the piece you create is identical to what you put in. So putting in the higher ilevel drops from the last 3 bosses in Sepulcher and the last 2 bosses in Castle Nathria and Sanctum of Domination raids will give you the most stats.
Creation Catalyst Stats
One quirk of this system is that the stats are static based on what you put in. Use the list below to determine which slots might make sense for you to craft (tier set or not). The first stat listed is the larger of the two stats.
- Helm - Haste/Mastery (TIER)
- Shoulder - Mastery/Versatility (TIER)
- Cloak - Mastery/Critical Strike
- Chest - Critical Strike/Haste (TIER)
- Wrists - Haste/Versatility
- Gloves - Versatility/Haste (TIER)
- Belt - Critical Strike/Haste
- Legs - Mastery/Critical Strike (TIER)
- Boots - Versatility/Mastery
With the large variety of trinkets and different item levels, specific sets of sims have been run to help you decide which trinkets to aim at getting as a Shadow Priest. You can use the Composite rankings for generic raid performance, while single-target is specific to 1-target sims with mixed movement to gauge performance.
- Composite Trinket Rankings
- Composite Trinket Combo Rankings
- Single Target Trinket Rankings
- Single Target Trinket Combo Rankings
Many people have a tendency to overthink the distribution of their secondary stats. An important thing to remember is that a higher quantity of stats is nearly always better than a better quality of stats. Because of this, wearing higher item level gear with worse stats tends to be better than lower item level gear with great stats. Keep this in mind when considering gear. For more stats information, please refer to our dedicated page.
With Patch 9.0.5 you now have access to upgrade gear obtained after the patch with Valor points. You can learn more about this system on the dedicated Valor page. Coming in Season 4 there is now no longer a cap on valor points acquired, allowing you to use dungeon gear to gear up quickly.
Season 4 Gearing Changes
Season 4 brings with it several notable changes to gearing. The first major change is the addition of Fated Raids. Fated Raids bring every raid from Shadowlands back on a weekly rotation to drop much higher item level gear. Eventually the rotation will fall off letting you do all 3 raids on Fated difficulty each week. In addition to dropping higher item level loot they also come with mechanics to challenge your raid.
As a reward fir conquering harder raids you can optimize your gear by including pieces from all three raids in your gear sets (see below). If you get particularly unlucky in your drops there are weekly quests that will award you up to a maximum of 3 Puzzling Cartel Dinars. These can be exchanged to purchase trinkets and weapons from previous tiers at maximum item level. As a Shadow Priest you should use your three tokens in the following order based on priority. Note that if you get one of these to drop in your raid clear you do not need to spend a Dinar on it and can move further down the priority list. You will only be able to purchase 3 items but the list goes on in case you get lucky with drops.
- Soulwarped Seal of Wrynn if you do not already have it at ANY item level. (Including Season 3)
- Cabalist's Hymnal
- Soulwarped Seal of Wrynn to upgrade a Season 3 version if you had one.
- Antumbra, Shadow of the Cosmos
- Scars of Fraternal Strife
- Shadowed Orb of Torment
- Elegy of the Eternals
- Forbidden Truth
Season 4 also significantly changes things up by changing the dungeons available to get gear from. This has certain impacts on particularly our BiS trinkets which are no longer farmable in the current season. The dungeons available are now:
Check out the lists below to see how these changes impact our BiS lists.
Pre-Raid Best in Slot Gear
This item list is specific to pre-raid gearing and focuses on the best gear to get before stepping into Fated Raids. Most of these pieces will come from dungeons, but you can also fill in some slots from the previous raid of Sepulcher of the First Ones or Season 4.
Note that Mythic+ gear can drop up to 298 item level with up to 304 coming from the weekly Great Vault.
In this season you can also run Legion Timewalking again while that event is active. Nothing from its available dungeons is absolutely BiS but you can fill out your gear with some more Haste/Mastery pieces or Moonlit Prism if you still need a good trinket.
For slots marked as tier you will want to get any item in that slot and then use the Creation Catalyst to turn it into tier. Since this changes the stats getting anything in one of these slots is sufficient.
|Helm||Hood of Uncanny Perspectives (TIER w/Creation Catalyst)||Mana Devourer in Upper Karazhan|
|Neck||Amulet of the Last Guardian||Shade of Medivh in Upper Karazhan|
|Shoulder||Frost-Touched Shoulderpads (TIER w/Creation Catalyst)||Skulloc in Iron Docks|
|Cloak||Cloak of Sweltering Flame||Opera Hall: Beautiful Beast in Lower Karazhan|
|Chest||Lightbinder Robes (TIER w/Creation Catalyst)||Nitrogg Thundertower in Grimrail Depot|
|Wrists||Felflame Bracers||Skylord Tobra in Grimrail Depot|
|Gloves||Gloves of Arcane Confluence (TIER w/Creation Catalyst)||The Curator in Upper Karazhan|
|Belt||Cord of the Penitent||Maiden of Virtue in Lower Karazhan|
|Legs||Overcharged Pantaloons (TIER w/Creation Catalyst)||HK-8 Oppression Unit in Operation: Mechagon|
|Boots||Supplicant's Soiled Slippers||King Gobbamak in Operation: Mechagon|
|Ring #1||Overclocking Bit Band||Machinist's Garden in Operation: Mechagon|
|Ring #2||Logic Loop of Division||HK-8 Aeiral Suppression Unit in Operation: Mechagon|
|Trinket #1||So'leah's Secret Technique (Mastery or Haste pref.)||So'leah in Tazavesh, the Veiled Market|
|Trinket #2||Tovra's Lightning Repository||Skylord Tovra in Grimrail Depot|
|Two-Hand||Staff of Fractured Spacetime||So'leah in Tazavesh, the Veiled Market|
Note that there are plenty of alternative items that are also good, just look for Haste pieces with ideally Mastery on them.
Best in Slot Gear Guides
With Season 4 there are 3 raids and many new dungeons coming into play to gear your character. You can use the below radio buttons to switch through the various BiS lists depending on the content you are doing. There is a list for each Raid individually as well as the main BiS list.
Each raid list shows you the BiS gear only from that raid. This can be useful when just looking at what is best within a given week's Fated rotation. These are not different BiS lists for what does the most in each raid, the Full Season 4 Best in Slot List is still your target for full best in slot regardless of raid.
- Full Season 4 Best in Slot List
- Castle Nathria Best in Slot
- Sanctum of Domination Best in Slot
- Sepulcher of the First Ones Best in Slot
The list below shows the best piece of gear for each individual slot that drops in Season 4. Alternatives will be listed from Mythic+ anytime the raid-drop piece is not well itemized. This means you will need to get lucky with your weekly vault to get comparable item level though.
Many of the slots are set in stone due to Tier Slots, these pieces will be marked specifically and should be targeted over alternatives. For these slots getting pieces from other raids will mean you should use the Creation Catalyst on them.
Combined Recommended Fated Raid Gear
Recommended Castle Nathria Gear
Recommended Sanctum of Domination Gear
Recommended Sepulcher of the First Ones Gear
Each tier item has an additional off-set slot provided since you do want to prioritize getting 4-set even if its not the best 4 pieces. In addition, BiS setup with Necrolord when you get access to Memory of Unity will have you use Pallid Command on Waist/Gloves/Ring/Head slot and then Shadowflame Prism on Gloves/Head. You will need to play around with slots you craft these on based on what tier you have access to.
With the recent trinket buffs Scars of Fraternal Strife will start simming as our BiS trinket. This trinket has considerable downsides though and should only be used by experienced players. Using this optimally can be tricky and it also gives you negative debuff effects to compensate for the power you gain. Use this at your own risk in place of Shadowed Orb of Torment or Moonlit Prism paired with Cabalist's Hymnal.
- 03 Aug. 2022: Update suggestions to include more detail about Scars of Fraternal Strife.
- 02 Aug. 2022: Added note about Scars and Moonlit Prism trinkets and changed pre-raid neck.
- 29 Jul. 2022: Edit a few of the lists from recent changes.
- 24 Jul. 2022: Make a few tweaks to the BiS lists.
- 22 Jul. 2022: Added new gearsets for Season 4 and generic info about the Season.
- 31 May 2022: Page reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 26 Feb. 2022: Swap out bis weapon and trinkets after early tuning.
- 22 Feb. 2022: Add BiS lists for 9.2 and discuss Tier set options.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Added note about Legion Timewalking and Moonlit Prism viability.
- 08 Sep. 2021: Updated 2nd BiS trinket after new sims for Forbidden Necromantic Tome have finished.
- 23 Jul. 2021: Clarified upgrade path for Shards of Domination.
- 18 Jul. 2021: Swapped out trinket charts for links to the Priest sim page.
- 13 Jul. 2021: Clarify domination socket note.
- 06 Jul. 2021: Added video link and updated gear rankings from latest hotfixes.
- 01 Jul. 2021: Added Tome of Insight as 2nd BiS trinket.
- 29 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Removed note about Tablet of Despair.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added note about Tablet of Despair.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added Valor section.
- 07 Feb. 2021: Added overall BiS list.
- 11 Jan. 2021: Updated BiS lists as per stat priority change.
- 07 Dec. 2020: Fixed Raid BiS weapons and adjusted pre-raid Trinket BiS.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands launch with Pre-Raid and Raid BiS lists
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Things to Do Before Dragonflight
- Warlock Changes in Dragonflight Beta Build 45779
- Great Vault Added to the Map of Valdrakken
- Rogue Changes in Dragonflight Beta Build 45779
- Patch 9.2.7 Hotfixes: October 3rd
- Priest Changes Dragonflight Beta Build 45779
- Warrior Gladiator and Elite PvP Sets in Dragonflight
- Shadowlands Season 4 Fated Raid Mythic DPS Log Rankings, Week 9: Sepulcher