Shadow Priest DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Shadow Priest in World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
General Gearing Strategy
With Titanforging existing, it is extremely difficult to provide one specific list of gear that will not change in any situation. Instead, it is more valuable to explain how you may want to choose what pieces of gear to wear.
Item level is rather important in Battle for Azeroth, mainly due to the relative value increase of primary stats. In the case of Shadow, this means we want to prioritize Intellect first over any other stat; in other words, item level of gear will generally be the most important factor when looking at replacing something. Secondary stats are still important as well, however, and currently Shadow wants to focus on acquiring as much Critical Strike and Haste as it can. Mastery and Versatility are both low in value and there is not really a way to have too much of Haste or Critical Strike. If it is not an obvious choice, sim your own character to find out. For a more detailed explanation, you can read the Simulations page.
For a comprehensive overview of what Azerite traits are best as well as looking at what items have what traits, you can take a look at the Shadow Azerite page.
Mythic+ rewards gear based upon the keystone level you complete:
|Mythic+ Level||Loot iLvl - End of Dungeon||Loot iLvl - Weekly Chest||# of Loot - End of Dungeon||Titan Residuum in Weekly Chest|
|Mythic+16||465||475||3 (40% chance of 4th piece)||2240|
|Mythic+17||465||475||3 (80% chance of 4th piece)||2330|
|Mythic+18||465||475||4 (20% chance of 4th piece)||2420|
World Quests can give you a bunch of different rewards, including valuable Azerite gear, weapons, or trinkets. While the gear possibilities are too great to list here, always try to do the World Quests that reward gear, as you might get lucky with Titanforging or Warforging. Do bear in mind that Azerite gear has no chance of getting upgraded in any way, either through Warforging, Titanforging, or getting a socket. Weapons are not able to Titanforge either, but they can Warforge up to 10 extra item levels.
For a more comprehensive overview of the gear that drops in Battle for Azeroth, I recommend taking a look at this sheet made by Imoral. This spreadsheet singles out items with Critical Strike and Haste and shows which Azerite gear has which traits.
Corruption is a new Patch 8.3 feature (see our guide on Corrupted Items). It replaces Warforging and Titanforging for all gear in the patch. It gives items a type of affix, as well as an amount of Corruption. Corruption is a stat that negatively impacts your character the more of it that you have, but the more Corruption you have, the more powerful the affixes will be. Some Affixes are a lot more powerful than others, and you can see a guideline ranking for them below.
There are 5 negative effects based on your corruption amount. In order of appearance, the effects are Grasping Tendrils, Eye of Corruption, Grand Delusions, Cascading Disaster, and finally Inevitable Doom.
- Grasping Tendrils can be broken with Dispersion.
- Eye of Corruption can be exited quickly by using Body and Soul or you can waddle out, as the damage is not extremely high.
- Grand Delusions spawn a Thing from Beyond, which can be stunned or feared.
- Cascading Disaster builds upon Grand Delusions and, once again, you can crowd control the mob still.
- Inevitable Doom has no counterplay.
The amount of corruption you run with is up to you, just note that if you screw up and die, that will be a significantly greater loss in DPS than anything you would gain by using that much corruption. Due to the kit of the Shadow Priest I would suggest running below 40 corruption for progression encounters.
Single-Target Corruption Ranking
AoE Corruption Ranking
Tips for Dealing With Corruption Effects
Tips will come to this page once the raid is out!
Below you will find a ranking of the trinkets in Battle for Azeroth, provided by Bloodmallet.
Trinket Rankings for Single-Target
Trinket Rankings for AoE
Best in Slot Gear from Ny'alotha
The list below shows the best piece of gear for each individual slot that drops in Ny'alotha. It does not take into account any items from other sources. Furthermore, the below pieces are considered ideal for raiding, and not necessarily for doing dungeons or other types of content. This is mainly relevant in regards to your Azerite choices. For a more in depth explanation of what Azerite builds are viable in what situations we recommend looking at the Azerite page.
- 26 Jan. 2020: Added more detail for Corruption gear and effects.
- 14 Jan. 2020: Added Corruption and Ny'alotha gear for Patch 8.3.
- 14 Jul. 2019: Updated with The Eternal Palace gear.
- 25 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 16 Apr. 2019: Elaborated on the strength of Crucible of Storms gear.
- 14 Apr. 2019: Updated for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 08 Feb. 2019: Added a Best in Slot list for Battle of Dazar'alor loot.
- 22 Jan. 2018: Updated for Season 2.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 04 Oct. 2018: Added a section regarding Mythic+.
- 15 Aug. 2018: Updated links to Bloodmallet's sims.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- 19 Jul. 2018: Description of Anund's Seared Shackles updated.
- 18 Jul. 2018: Updated to include recommended legendaries.
- Encrypted Shadowlands Alpha Build 22.214.171.124411
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: February 19th
- WoW Shadowlands Alpha Added to Battle.net Catalog
- Ny'alotha Mythic WF Race, Conclusion: Top 10, N'Zoth Nerf, Limit Tank Goes to Method, Asia Upset and More
- WoW Classic "Not a Bug" List Update: February 19th
- Patch 8.3 and Classic Hotfixes: February 18th
- Burning Crusade Timewalking Event (February 18th - February 25th)
- UI API Change for UnitHealth
- Unholy Aoe Question
- Rustbolt Resistance
- Demonology Warlock 8.3
- Colossus Smash!?
- Protection Warrior 8.3
- Mage Leveling Guide