Shadow Priest DPS Macros and Addons — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will find a number of useful macros and addons to make your life easier when playing your Shadow Priest in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
If you were looking for WoW Classic content, please refer to our Classic Priest addons and macros.
Generic Macros for Priests
There are currently no macros we recommend for all Priests to use.
Specific Macros for Shadow Priests
Dispersion Cancelaura Macro
- #showtooltip Dispersion
- /cast Dispersion
- /cancelaura Dispersion
This macro serves as a way to both cast Dispersion and also to cancel it. The first press of the macro will cast Dispersion, the second press will remove the buff from you. This is useful in cases where you do not need the damage reduction for the full 6 seconds, as you are unable to cast spells when under the effects of Dispersion.
Shadow Crash Cursor Macro
- #showtooltip Shadow Crash
- /cast [@cursor] Shadow Crash
This macro casts Shadow Crash at the location of your cursor on the screen without having to click your mouse on the ground.
Mind Flay Camera Spin
- /console cameraSmoothTrackingStyle 0
This is not a macro, but a console command that will prevent Mind Flay from spinning your camera when it channels. This can be very helpful for players who find the camera interference annoying.
Mouseover Macro for DoTs
- #showtooltip Shadow Word: Pain
- /cast [@mouseover] Shadow Word: Pain
- #showtooltip Vampiric Touch
- /cast [@mouseover] Vampiric Touch
These macros cast Shadow Word: Pain and Vampiric Touch at your current mouseover target without having to target their nameplate directly. This is particularly useful in multi-DoT situations in council boss scenarios.
Addons for Shadow Priest
Generic Addons for Priests
Here, at Icy Veins, we use ElvUI for all our characters. This addon is a complete replacement of the default User Interface. It comes with almost everything you need to perform properly: action bars, cooldown timers, proc display, etc.
We strongly recommend that you get this addon and our forum moderator Pandacho has written a quick configuration guide for it.
Boss Mods: Deadly Boss Mods or Bigwigs
Boss mods are addons that warn you about boss abilities and give you live advice on how to handle some mechanics. We strongly recommend you to get one such addon. At Icy Veins, we mostly use Deadly Boss Mods, the most popular boss mod. A good alternative is Big Wigs.
GTFO is a lightweight addon that notifies you when you are standing in harmful effects or when you are making other such mistakes. It is very useful, even if your boss mod is already alerting you of such things.
Parrot or Mik's Scrolling Battle Text
Parrot and Mik's Scrolling Battle Text are highly customisable addons for displaying floating battle text while in combat (incoming heals, damage of your spells, etc.). They both work very well by default.
WeakAuras is an extremely useful addon that allows you to have visual effects on your screen, helping you track your buffs, debuffs and cooldowns. It is highly customisable and it can make it much, much easier to keep track of your procs and play your spec more proficiently. It can also be used for a variety of other functions.
Recount / Skada / Details!
Recount is a well known addon that most people use for displaying current DPS or HPS (Healing Per Second). This add-on is not really lightweight, and provides a very high amount of information (and it can sometimes cause issues with performance). It is generally a good option to use Recount for checking what you take damage from and if the share of damage/healing you do with each of your abilities is similar to that of other players of your class.
An alternative to Recount (similar in function, so the choice is personal preference) is Details!.
A lightweight alternative to Recount and Details! is Skada Damage Meter.
Specific Addons for Shadow Priests
Twintop's Insanity Bar
Twintop's Insanity Bar is a fully customizable bar that allows you to track your Insanity on top of many other great features. This addon is highly recommended as it provides you everything you need to know when playing your Shadow Priest.
SPTimers is a very useful addon for Shadow Priests. In addition to displaying how long until each of your DoTs expires on the target, this add-on also allows you to track buffs, trinket internal cooldowns, and a number of other important effects.
- 13 Jan. 2020: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.3 and no changes are necessary.
- 05 Oct. 2019: Added a mouseover macro for DoTs.
- 25 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 14 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- Hunter Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Shaman Shadowlands Beta Class Changes for September 23rd
- Warlock Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Mage Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Death Knight Shadowlands Beta Class Changes for September 23rd
- Warrior Class Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd
- Demon Hunter Covenant Ability Tuning: September 23rd
- Significant Monk Changes on the Shadowlands Beta for September 23rd