Shadow Priest DPS Easy Mode — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5
On this page, we explain how to easily play Shadow Priest in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5, using the simplest rotation, talent tree, stat priority, gear setup, etc., without sacrificing performance.
This section is intended for players who are new to the game or class, have no intentions of raiding Mythic difficulty, or simply want a more straightforward way to play their specialization without being overwhelmed by the numerous priorities and active abilities that need to be taken into consideration for optimal play.
The Basics for Shadow Priest
The current version of Shadow Priest is a fairly demanding and potentially punishing specialization. While good damage output is possible, the specialization requires good, consistent play in order to succeed. It is possible to put out competitive damage without much of the hassle however, and this page will provide you with a talent build that aims to reduce the demands of the specialization and reactivity required without causing a big drop in numerical output.
Talent Choice for Shadow Priest
These choices are optimized for ease of use. Although some talents might offer marginally higher gains when played perfectly, these same talents often result in damage losses when utilized by many players. The talents recommended here aim to present the best setup that has very little punishment for unfamiliarity or mistakes.
- Level 15: Fortress of the Mind
- Level 30: Body and Soul
- Level 45: Twist of Fate
- Level 60: Last Word
- Level 75: Auspicious Spirits
- Level 90: Lingering Insanity
- Level 100: Legacy of the Void
Stat Choice for Shadow Priest
Currently, you will want to prioritize stats as follows:
- Haste = Critical Strike;
- Mastery = Versatility;
Basic Rotation for Shadow Priest
- Keep Shadow Word: Pain and Vampiric Touch applied on all targets.
- Cast Mind Blast whenever available to generate Insanity.
- Cast Mind Flay to generate Insanity.
- Cast Void Eruption at 90 Insanity, or 60 Insanity if you are using Legacy of the Void.
- When in Voidform
Azerite Traits play an important role for Shadow Priest. This means you need to decide which Azerite items you should choose. The traits are very close to each other in power, though, so we recommend our Azerite Traits page for more details.
Memory of Lucid Dreams is the preferred Major essence. If you do not have access to Memory of Lucid Dreams, Worldvein Resonance is great when multiple allies also have Worldvein Resonance as their Major or Minor. If not you can also use Concentrated Flame.
- 14 Jul. 2019: Added Essence recommendations.
- 25 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 14 Apr. 2019: Updated for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 26 Feb. 2019: Updated the Stat Choice section.
- 16 Dec. 2018: Made it clearer how best to use Mind Flay.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Updated for Patch 8.1 changes.
- 30 Aug. 2018: Changed talent advice.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- 23 Jul. 2018: Adjusted talent advice.
- World Bosses and PvP Honor System Available
- Outlaw Rogue Anniversary Event Ragnaros Bug
- Corrupted Weapons from Ny'alotha, the Waking City in Patch 8.3
- Wrathion Sells Various Items in Patch 8.3
- Patch 8.2.5 and Classic Hotfixes: November 13th
- PvP with the Blues: November 15th
- Ny'alotha, the Waking City Rewards: Ny'alotha Allseer (Mythic N'Zoth Mount) & Wriggling Parasite (Glory of the Ny'alotha Raider Mount)
- Infinite Heart of Azeroth Trait in Patch 8.3: Purity of the Worldsoul
- Frost Mage 8.2
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- 15-Year Anniversary Event
- Very low HPS MW monk
- Fury Warrior 8.2
- Frost Death Knight 8.2
- Beast Mastery Hunter 8.2
- Gems for Timewalking Arcane Mage