Balance Druid DPS Easy Mode — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1
On this page, we explain how to easily play Balance Druid in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1, using the simplest rotation, talent tree, stat priority, gear setup, etc., without sacrificing performance.
This page is intended for players who are new to the game or class, have no intentions of raiding Mythic difficulty, or simply want a more straightforward way to play their specialization without being overwhelmed by the numerous subtleties and active abilities that need to be taken into consideration for optimal play.
2. The Basics of Balance Druids
Balance Druid is a caster specialization that deals good single and multi-target DPS, but has a slightly difficult/demanding rotation which when optimized requires both reactive gameplay and pre-planning to master.
3. Talent Choice for Balance Druids
The following talent choices are effectively best in all situations.
- Level 15: Force of Nature (single target), Warrior of Elune (multiple-target), or Nature's Balance (either)
- Level 30: Wild Charge
- Level 45: Restoration Affinity
- Level 60: Typhoon
- Level 75: Incarnation: Chosen of Elune
- Level 90: Twin Moons (multiple-targets) or Stellar Flare (one and two targets)
- Level 100: Fury of Elune (multiple-targets) or Shooting Stars (single target)
4. Stat Choice for Balance Druids
Currently, you will want to prioritize stats as follows:
- Critical Strike;
5. Basic Rotation for Balance Druids
The one, two, and three target Balance Druid rotation is based on the following priority list.
- Apply and maintain Moonfire, Sunfire, and Stellar Flare (if talented) on the target(s).
- Cast Starsurge to consume Astral Power.
- Cast Lunar Strike while you have Lunar Empowerment up.
- Use Solar Wrath while you have Solar Empowerment up.
- Cast Solar Wrath without an empowerment, to generate Astral Power. If you can cleave onto a second target, cast Lunar Strike.
At all times, you should avoid generating Astral Power when you are at maximum capacity.
Against multiple targets, the rotation is the following (see the Rotation page for when to Starfall).
- Cast Starfall to consume Astral Power.
- Apply and maintain Moonfire, Sunfire on all targets, if they will live longer than 6 seconds.
- Keep Fury of Elune (if talented) on cooldown.
- Cast Solar Wrath when you have a Solar Empowerment and Lunar Strike if you receive a Lunar Empowerment through the Eclipse passive.
- Cast Solar Wrath to generate Astral Power, but if you can hit one additional target with Lunar Strike, use that instead.
6. Cooldowns for Balance Druids
Your only cooldown is Celestial Alignment (or Incarnation: Chosen of Elune if you talent it). You should aim to use these cooldowns as many times as possible throughout an encounter. Ideally, you can also time it so that it is active if a boss takes increased damage.
- 13 Jan. 2019: Minor updates to recommendations.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Updated for Patch 8.1
- 04 Oct. 2018: Several updates to talents.
- 20 Jul. 2018: Updated level 75 talent recommendation.
- Patch 8.1 Hotfixes: February 20th
- Upcoming Windwalker Monk Fists of Fury Change in Patch 8.1.5
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode 36
- Patch 8.1.5 Allied Races & Faction Change Clarifications
- Zandalari Troll Embrace the Loa Racial & Shrines
- This Week in WoW: February 19th
- Kul Tiran Humans & Zandalari Trolls (Official Preview)
- Kul Tiran & Zandalari Troll Dance Animations
- Mission Table - Champions Guide
- Fury Warrior 8.1
- Demonology Warlock 8.1
- Fury Warrior needs help
- Marksmanship Hunter 8.1
- Enhancement Shaman 8.1
- Holy Priest 8.1
- The Help My DPS Thread