Balance Druid DPS Gear and Best in Slot — Shadowlands 9.1
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Balance Druid in World of Warcraft Shadowlands 9.1.
If you were looking for TBC Classic content, please refer to our TBC Classic Balance Druid gear and best in slot.
Gearing a Balance Druid
A large portion of gearing is reliant on item level. Try not to overthink gearing as most upgrades should be easily identifiable. After item level you can further scrutinize the Secondary Stats looking for Mastery gear and items with sockets.
For more information on stats you can check our our comprehensive Stats page as well as our Gems and Enchants page.
The Importance of Simming
It is important to use Raidbots to get an accurate idea of what gear is good and what gear is bad. There are so many variables which can change which pieces you would equip. While a cursory glance can be enough to determine what is usable, deciding what is best among what is good is a more nuanced decision.
If you have gold, there is no real PvE profession. You can purchase base pieces for legendary gear from Leatherworkers or Jewelcrafters to use in crafting. We recommend taking one gathering profession to help with raid prep. Herbalism and Skinning would be preferred, as they are concrete money-makers as well as also helping us reduce the cost of entry to Mythic raiding.
If you are a bit low on funds, just go Skinning and Leatherworking. Skin the mobs and craft your own gear and save yourself the gold. Use extra mats to fund your Raiding and dungeoneering habits.
Engineering also offers one of the only tangible PvE performance boosts in the form of the belt shield, a small little shield which can at times save your life. While generally not impactful, it is still the only profession which pays off in a raid.
Shards of Domination
Patch 9.1 adds a new system called Shards of Domination. You will most likely always use these items, so you may need to recraft a Legendary if you have one in a slot with a Domination Socket. So most notably, you may need to recraft Legendaries such as Sinful Hysteria on Waist, Primordial Arcanic Pulsar on the now-available Ring slot, and Balance of All Things on Legs.
As of right now, we currently pursue the Unholy Shard 3-set Bonus which grants Chaos Bane which is a stacking Intellect proc which can burst into a large additional Intellect boost. Shard of Dyz is also an additional stacking damage boost on a single-target.
After you get your 3-set Bonus, Shard of Cor can be great on any add wave fight or just any fight that adds any new targets throughout the encounter. Shard of Bek is very likely to be a damage boost in execute phases on fights that you can remain relatively healthy.
If you would like to know more about the remaining Domination Shards' effects, their set bonuses, or how to upgrade their effects into even more potent forms, please see our official guide detailing everything about this new system of Patch 9.1:
Recommended Gear for Balance Druids
DISCLAIMER: Please take this loot list with a grain of salt, there are still changes happening with trinkets, Covenants, classes, and more. This is a basic list prioritizing the more reliable gear from Raiding. Several dungeon and PvP pieces can be used supplementally.
|Helm||Cap of Writhing Malevolence||Remnant of Ner'zhul|
|Necklace||Sin Stained Pendant||Halkias in Halls of Atonement|
|Shoulder||Smuggler's Plundered Pauldrons||The Tarragrue|
|Cloak||Dealer Xy'exa's Cape||Dealer Xy'exa in De Other Side|
|Chest||Mawsworn Eviscerator's Cuirass||The Eye of the Jailer|
|Wrists||Fastened Venombarb Binds||Domina Venomblade in Plaguefall|
|Gloves||Hangman's Knotbinders||Painsmith Raznal|
|Belt||Sinful Hysteria (Haste/Mastery)||Runecarver Legendary Power|
|Legs||Elite Aranakk Breeches||Kel'Thuzad|
|Boots||Trenchant Warmonger Treads||Soulrender Dormazain|
|Ring #1||Signet of the False Accuser||Lord Chamberlain in Halls of Atonement|
|Ring #2||Death God's Signet||Mueh'zala in De Other Side|
|Trinket #1||Instructor's Divine Bell||World Quest Cache|
|Trinket #2||Inscrutable Quantum Device||Dealer Xy'exa in De Other Side|
Balance Druids should generally try to have at least one on-use trinket and a passive trinket as well. For Venthyr, you can use double on-use as your cooldowns generally last over 30 seconds with the last few moments being the most important. Below are some of the trinkets you should keep a lookout for:
- Instructor's Divine Bell grants a strong Mastery buff and is good at even lower item levels. This can be used with another on-use at the tail end of your cooldowns.
- Inscrutable Quantum Device can grant an effect based on the current circumstances of the user and their group. When used optimally, this is the strongest trinket.
- Titanic Ocular Gland would be a huge Mastery boost IF you can stay above 50% Health. If you cannot it is a DPS loss so make sure you wear this Trinket only when appropriate.
- Forbidden Necromantic Tome is an easily-accessible high item level raid trinket that provides Critical Strike and has a utility component to boot.
- Tome of Monstrous Constructions can be a passive single-target option that should not be used if you have to target swap.
- Empyreal Ordnance is still a usable on-use trinket. The delayed buff syncs up well with the stacking Ravenous Frenzy buff.
- Unbound Changeling is another basic passive item with a strong stat proc you can designate based on the type of food you eat.
Bloodmallet gives us a good basic look at the power of each trinket. Certain conditions can make some trinkets more favorable or less based on your stats, settings, and more. Always make sure to fully sim trinkets and all upgrades based on your gear as that can change results.
Inscrutable Quantum Device
The Inscrutable Quantum Device or the ??? trinket is a three minute cooldown trinket which has different effects based on the situation.
- If someone is below ~30% Health, it will heal them.
- If a Healer is below ~20% Mana, it will restore their Mana.
- If you are crowd controlled, it will remove it.
- If your target is below ~20%, it will execute them or deal a large portion of damage.
- If none of those are applicable, it grants you a large amount of either of your two highest secondary stats.
- If under the effects of Bloodlust or Heroism, the stat buff will last an additional 5 seconds.
As mentioned above, this trinket is not always optimal on fights that will lose uses to low Health, low Mana, or in execute phases and this may lose out to some of the other trinkets.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 01 Feb. 2020: Updated Trinket sections.
- 07 Dec. 2020: Updated for Castle Nathria gearing.
- 27 Nov. 2020: Added trinket section.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands.
- 17 Oct. 2020: Updated gear page with Trinkets and Azerite
- 14 Oct. 2020: Updated trinket recommendations.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- A Different Kind of Letter from Activision Blizzard Executive Fran Townsend
- J. Allen Brack's Internal Email to Blizzard Employees
- Domination Socket Helper Addon
- Sanctum of Domination Mythic Race: The Top 5
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 22nd
- Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Alleges Sexual Harrasment, Discrimination and More
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 21st
- Classic Torghast: 0 Score and Getting Stuck With Anima Power