Balance Druid DPS Mythic+ Tips — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1
On this page, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Balance Druid in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.
1. Balance Druid in Mythic+
Balance Druid is one of the top ranged DPS specializations for Mythic+ in Battle for Azeroth. It provides strong multi-target damage on higher level keys as well as a large amount of utility through talents and even the base kit.
1.1. Balance Druid Mythic+ Rotation
Both the single target and multi-target rotations do not change in Mythic+ content. For more information about the Balance Druid DPS rotation, refer back to the Rotation, Cooldowns, and Abilities page.
The only additional habit you should practice in Mythic+ is to pool your Astral Power towards the end of every trash pull to reduce the ramp-up time needed to reach your maximum output.
1.2. Balance Druid Utility
Balance Druid provides support for the party through damage, healing, and other additional effects such as dispels and mob management.
- Solar Beam is one of the strongest silences in the game. Solar Beam can be used to silence a large amount of mobs for 8-seconds in a small radius. This can enable pulls which would otherwise be impossible, due to an interrupt requirement.
- Typhoon is an iconic Balance Druid spell. This will knock enemies in front of you away in the direction the cast was aimed. Use this to knock enemies away from the tank, yourself, or away from special mob specific mechanics such as Sanguine pools.
- Force of Nature acts as an artificial taunt that relieves the tank of all melee damage. This talent has become almost a staple for Mythic+ due to the threat generation nerf applied to tanks that came with Battle for Azeroth. This is also particularly useful during Necrotic and Skittish weeks.
- Soothe has been added back to our baseline kit and will dispel all enrage buffs applied to enemies. This talent is particularly useful during Raging weeks.
- Hibernate can be used to crowd-control Beast and Dragonkin type enemies. While Beast and Dragonkin type enemies are not particularly numerous throughout the ten dungeons, this is another form of hard crowd control that we can utilize when possible.
- Entangling Roots can be used to root patrols. If you root the primary target, the entire patrol will stop moving. Useful in tight quarters when you cannot handle additional mobs.
- Regrowth was buffed in Battle for Azeroth, and it provides much more healing than it did in Legion and can be useful to help off-heal in certain situations.
- Restoration Affinity has proven to be a strong self and off-healing option in BfA. Swiftmend is a strong single target instant heal which can help recover a quarter or even half of your Health pool. Use this if you do not need additional passive damage reduction.
- Innervate is best used on heavy group damage boss encounters. This will allow you to expand your healers Mana pool and allow them to extend the duration of the encounter if needed.
2. Mythic+ Talents for Balance Druids
Below are the suggested talents for Mythic+, these talents are recommended for all groups and keys at the current time.
|15||? Nature's Balance||✗ Warrior of Elune||✓ Force of Nature|
|30||✗ Tiger Dash||✗ Renewal||✓ Wild Charge|
|45||✗ Feral Affinity||? Guardian Affinity||✓ Restoration Affinity|
|60||? Mighty Bash||? Mass Entanglement||✓ Typhoon|
|75||? Soul of the Forest||? Starlord||✓ Incarnation: Chosen of Elune|
|90||✗ Stellar Drift||✓ Twin Moons||✗ Stellar Flare|
|100||✗ Shooting Stars||✓ Fury of Elune||✗ New Moon|
3. Mythic+ Affixes
The way Mythic+ affixes are tiered in Battle for Azeroth has changed quite a bit since their launch in Legion.
There are now three weekly affixes and one seasonal affix. The first affix available instantly at level two and three, the second affix starts at level four, the third affix enabled at level seven, and finally the seasonal affix at level ten.
3.1. Tier One Affixes
- Fortified increases the Health pool of all non-boss enemies by 20% and damage dealt by 30%.
- Tyrannical increases the Health pool of boss enemies by 40% and their damage dealt by 15%.
Fortified and Tyrannical are the two affixes every player will see. These affixes shift the focus of dungeons from boss to trash depending on the week. Balance Druids will excel during Fortified weeks as our multi-target damage has a short ramp up time and then will sustain at very high numbers with or without the use of cooldowns. During Tyrannical weeks, players may want to take more single-target oriented trinkets, gear, or even talents but that will be both dungeon and key level dependent.
3.2. Tier Two Affixes
- Raging increases the damage dealt by enemies below 30% by 100% until they die. This buff is dispellable using Soothe. Not all enemies will need to be Soothed, but you should Soothe enemies that deal excessive group-wide damage.
- Teeming adds additional trash mobs to certain packs throughout each dungeon.
- Bolstering buffs remaining enemies Health pools and damage dealt by 20% when an enemy dies nearby. To counter this affix, DPS all mobs down evenly and focus your casts into high Health mobs if there are any.
- Sanguine places a pool of blood on the ground when a mob is slain. This pool will heal remaining enemies who stay inside the zone and also damage players. Balance Druids should take Typhoon to push enemies off of each Sanguine zone.
- Bursting forces enemy mobs to detonate when slain, afflicting the group with a stacking debuff that causes players to suffer 10% of their max Health in damage every four seconds. When handling the Bursting affix, ask how many stacks your healer can handle and try to not mindlessly DPS and exceed your healers stack limit.
3.3. Tier Three Affixes
- Volcanic spawns volcanic plumes underneath and around players when in combat with any enemy. When damaged by Volcanic, players suffer 50% of their maximum Health pool in damage. The more enemies you are in combat with, the more Volcanic that will spawn.
- Grievous afflicts players with a stacking DoT when they fall below 90%. Use Regrowth liberally during Grievous weeks and bring consumables to assist your healer when out of combat.
- Quaking will periodically attempt to interrupt casters by creating a damaging zone around each player. About 3 seconds after the zone forms, it will deal 20% maximum Health in damage to each player caught in the zone as well as interrupting any hard casts being finished during the shockwave.
- Explosive will occasionally spawn Explosive Orbs that need to be targeted and burned down within a short period of time or they will deal significant damage to the party. Explosive Orbs are not cleaveable and the amount of orbs that spawn scales with the amount of enemies pulled.
- Necrotic debuffs the target of enemy melee swings with stacking healing reduction and minor DoT. Balance Druids should utilize Typhoon and Force of Nature to assist tanks in kiting enemies before they become unhealable.
- Skittish reduces the amount of threat generated by tanks throughout the dungeon. Use Force of Nature as an artificial taunt on Skittish weeks.
3.4. Seasonal Affix
Reaping is the seasonal affix for the second season of Mythic+ in Battle for Azeroth. For every 20% of mob count that is completed, Bwonswamdi will resurrect all enemies you have slain and they will chase and attack your party. These enemies have less Health and do not pull trash that was skipped. There are three unit types based on the monster that was killed.
- Regular Melee enemies named Risen Souls melee their target and apply a stacking max Health percent DoT.
- Regular Caster enemies spawn back as Tormented Souls and will begin a 5-second cast when in range that will deal 25% of its targets max Health.
- Dungeon Mini Bosses spawn Lost Souls. They cast a front cone that damages all targets inside its indicator. When slain, it releases several missiles that target the ground. If you are hit, you become knocked back and receive a damage and healing debuff.
This affix further strengthens all of a Balance Druids previous strengths. Force of Nature can help to alleviate tank damage by taunting the melee mobs as well as Typhoon which can create space between the tank and the mobs. Solar Beam can be used to silence the caster adds, as well as Typhoon to interrupt their cast.
4. Mythic+ Azerite Traits
- Treacherous Covenant is an incredibly strong and versatile trait, which excels in both single and multi-target. The Intellect makes for a large damage boost and Balance Druids can take preventative measures to assure they stay above 50% Health.
- Arcanic Pulsar is a good value trait for Mythic+. Awarding additional single target damage and some multi-target damage via cooldown procs.
- Power of the Moon and High Noon are strong extended multi-target traits. They do not offer much in regards to single target so see what type of damage your group needs before equipping these. Power of the Moon is a strong value trait for most keys.
- Streaking Stars is a strong single target trait. Best used on high tyrannical keys if you are in dire need of the boss damage.
- Blightborne Infusion and Swirling Sands are two examples of secondary stat increasing Azerite pieces. If you can get high item level pieces of Azerite with secondary or primary stat procs, they will be useful for Mythic+.
- Lively Spirit will still most likely be a staple for coordinated Mythic+ groups. Work alongside your healer to push stacks of the buff on dangerous packs or on bosses where the healer does not require the additional Mana.
- 21 Jan. 2019: Updated for Battle of Dazar'alor.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Updated trait recommendation for Patch 8.1.
- 24 Oct. 2018: Updated Azerite choices.
- 04 Sep. 2018: Updated talent choices.
- 29 Aug. 2018: Added Lively Spirit.
- 27 Aug. 2018: Updated recommendations.
- 20 Aug. 2018: Added Engineering traits to the suggested trait section.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- 01 Aug. 2018: Added page.
- Wintergrasp 8.1.5 PTR Testing: February 19th
- Rextroy's 40 Vs 40 Events
- Patch 8.1 Hotfixes: February 14th
- Patch 8.1.5: Kul Tiran Human Intro Cutscene
- Patch 8.1.5: Zandalari Troll Intro Cutscene
- PvP Hotfixes: Feb 13th - Massive Mana Regen Nerf
- Crucible of Storms Raid Testing: Feb 21st-25th
- Patch 8.1.5 Build 29352: Highlights
- Question on simming...
- Transmogrification Demon Hunters
- Affliction Warlock 8.1
- Fire Mage 8.1
- Frost Death Knight 8.1
- Marksmanship Hunter 8.1
- Destruction Warlock 8.1
- Demonology Warlock 8.1