Beast Mastery Hunter DPS Azerite Traits/Powers and Armor — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1
This page will guide you through the process of understanding what the best Azerite traits and items are for your Beast Mastery Hunter in the current (8.1) patch of the Battle for Azeroth World of Warcraft expansion. You will have to equip the Heart of Azeroth to access these traits, but our Heart of Azeroth guide can tell you everything you need to know.
1. Choosing Azerite Gear as a Beast Mastery Hunter
Your choice of Azerite Gear pieces will almost always come down to the item level first, and the traits that it has second. Note that the traits you will look at when choosing gear are the Outer Ring traits, as these are the ones with the biggest impact on your gameplay.
The general rule is that if an item is a 15+ item level upgrade over another item, you should use it. If the difference between the two items is less than 15 item levels, then you should choose the one with the better Outer Ring trait. As we said, though, this is a general rule and there are exceptions; for example, if you are comparing an extremely bad trait ( Blood Rite) to an extremely good one ( Primal Instincts). It is nearly impossible to take every single variable into account without using a tool like Raidbots to simulate the difference for yourself.
It is worth noting that if the difference between the traits is very small, then the higher item level pick will be more desirable. Azerite pieces have a high amount of Stamina, increasing your maximum health. A tiny difference in that regard can be the difference between dying and surviving, so item level is almost always king.
2. Choosing Azerite Traits as a Beast Mastery Hunter
In the sections that follow, we will look at the best traits to choose. While the traits are ordered by power, this order is not a very strict priority, but more of a guideline.
2.1. Reorigination Array
The Reorigination Array is a buff that is activated within Uldir when you are using one trait of either Archive of the Titans or Laser Matrix. The Array increases your highest secondary stat by 75 per stack. Every week, it gains a stack when you kill 3 raid bosses in Uldir on any difficulty. It tops out at 10 stacks, or 750 of your highest secondary stat.
Because of this, using either Archive of the Titans or Laser Matrix is mandatory inside Uldir. You only need one trait to activate the Reorigination Array.
There are no traits that are so good that it is worth dropping Reorigination Array.
2.2. Outer Ring
The Outer Ring traits are the first ones you unlock, and they are by far the most important from a DPS perspective. You can see the simulation comparison of these traits below.
Primal Instincts is generally the best trait for Beast Mastery in all situations. It significantly amplifies your main cooldown and it is tuned very highly. It gains value from being tied to your largest cooldown, allowing you to benefit from this trait when it is most important, like large Mythic+ pulls and important add spawns in raids.
Archive of the Titans and Laser Matrix are essentially mandatory traits to have on your gear when raiding in Uldir on any difficulty. This is because having at least one of these traits will activate Reorigination Array, a passive effect that vastly increases your highest secondary stat each week. Archive of the Titans is generally the best one, but it is not very important which one you have, as long as you have at least one in Uldir.
Haze of Rage does not simulate amazingly well, but it is very good for being tied to your main cooldown, Bestial Wrath. This cooldown is often saved for and used on large add spawns or other important timings in a fight or Mythic+ dungeon. The Agility proc on top of it will help you burst more and can make a big difference in your short-term burst DPS.
2.3. Middle Ring
The Middle Ring traits are all fairly close, and they will rarely affect your choice of Azerite Gear. You can see the simulation comparison of these traits below.
Overwhelming Power has the highest DPS potential of the traits in this ring, but it will lose efficiency whenever you take damage, which can be very often in some raid encounters.
Heed My Call is almost as good as Overwhelming Power, but it does not have the caveat of losing efficiency when you take damage. It also outperforms Overwhelming Power on AoE, so it is a better default option.
Gutripper is almost as good as the above two traits for pure single-target scenarios, but most of its value comes in at the execute phase of the fight. This makes it very powerful for high-end raid progression, where the last phases of difficult fights are often about killing the boss before damage ramps up and kills the raid first. Gutripper helps maximize damage at this stage of the fight and deserves a special mention.
Azerite Globules is generally not worth choosing. Its main value comes from AoE damage, but the debuff has to actually stack up 3 times before it does damage. In Mythic+ where AoE is the most prevalent, targets die constantly, meaning that many stacks of this debuff will get lost.
2.4. Inner Ring
The Inner Ring consists mostly of defensive or utility traits.
Duck and Cover reduces Feign Death's cooldown to 25 seconds, and it causes Feign Death to give you a small absorb shield. Because this one is actually entirely in your control, it can be a lifesaver at the right moment. Being able to Feign Death more often can allow you to negate certain spells in Mythic+ more often as well, so it is definitely the best trait in this tier.
Longstrider is arguably the best "DPS" option in this tier. By increasing your movement speed, it allows you to close gaps and dodge things slightly faster.
Resounding Protection is an absorb shield that automatically gets applied every 30 seconds. This is one of the best defensive traits to have, as you will always be able to benefit from it.
3. Azerite Traits Rotation Changes and Details for Beast Mastery Hunter
Some of your Azerite Traits in Battle For Azeroth can have a small effect on your rotation. They generally do not change the fundamentals, but they allow you to use their effects to squeeze just a little bit more damage out than your competition.
- Primal Instincts causes you to not want to use Aspect of the Wild unless you have 0 charges of Barbed Shot remaining. This is usually just the case right after using a Barbed Shot.
- Primal Instincts influences your opener very slightly. We have listed the alternative opener on the Rotation Page.
4. Relative Strength of Azerite Traits for Beast Mastery Hunter
Below we have listed the relative strength of the most relevant Azerite Traits, as far as they are implemented in our simulation tools at the moment.
Because you can have the same trait multiple times, and because some traits can change the rotation if you stack it multiple times, we have listed the relative strength of the traits depending on how many of them you have.
We are not including different item levels of Azerite pieces, because in most situations you are going to want the highest item level piece regardless. As with any rule, there are exceptions and you should always sim your own character's traits with Raidbots to be sure.
4.1. Outer Ring
The Outer Ring traits are the first ones you unlock, and they are the most important from a DPS perspective.
Here we have listed a ranking for the Outer Ring traits in terms of single-target DPS. Because of the sheer amount of Azerite traits, we have only listed the best 25.
4.2. Middle Ring
The Middle Ring traits are shared for all classes and specs. For any DPS spec, you should always pick among the DPS options and ignore the defensive or heal options for PvE.
Here we have listed a ranking for Middle Ring traits in terms of DPS for single-target situations.
4.3. AoE/Cleave Azerite Traits Comparison for Beast Mastery Hunter
4.3.1. Outer Ring
Here we have listed a ranking for the Outer Ring traits in terms of DPS for AoE/Cleave situations. Because of the sheer amount of Azerite traits, we have only listed the best 10.
4.3.2. Middle Ring
Here we have listed a ranking for Middle Ring traits in terms of DPS for AoE/Cleave situations.
5. Find Azerite Armor By Trait/Power
In the table below, you can see all of the Azerite gear available to your Beast Mastery Hunter. By using the + button located next to each item, you can expand the list of Azerite powers that this item possesses (to collapse the list, simply click the - button).
If you want to filter items according to the powers that they offer, you can use the filters below.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Updated and added new charts, hosted by BloodMallet.
- 19 Oct. 2018: Added a small section emphasizing that having at least one Uldir trait within the raid is mandatory for optimal performance.
- 28 Sep. 2018: Updated with a note about Pack Alpha.
- 25 Sep. 2018: Updated the Azerite Trait simulation to account for the latest hotfixes.
- 20 Sep. 2018: Restructured page slightly and added written recommendations for a number of traits.
- 18 Sep. 2018: Updated the Azerite Trait simulation.
- 12 Sep. 2018: Updated Azerite Trait simulation to include Meticulous Scheming properly.
- 08 Sep. 2018: Updated Azerite Trait simulation.
- 05 Sep. 2018: Updated Azerite Trait simulation.
- 03 Sep. 2018: Added note about the slightly changed Primal Instincts opener.
- 30 Aug. 2018: Updated Azerite Trait simulation.
- 24 Aug. 2018: Added back Rapid Reload to the 3-target Azerite simulation.
- 23 Aug. 2018: Added a link to the origin spreadsheet for the simulation chart.
- 18 Aug. 2018: Updated Azerite Trait simulation.
- 17 Aug. 2018: Added note about Primal Instincts not changing your opener.
- 16 Aug. 2018: Added different talent choices to the Pack Alpha trait in the Azerite Trait comparison.
- 12 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- 02 Aug. 2018: Page added.
- Patch 8.1.5 Build 28938: Class Changes
- BfA PvP Season 2 Preview [Official]
- Tools of the Trade in Patch 8.1.5
- Four New Collectible Blizzard Books Coming This Fall
- Kul Tiran & Zandalari Druid Empowered Moonkin Form
- Allied Races: Are Mechagnomes and Vulpera Next?
- Titan Residuum Hotfix: January 16th
- The Story of Xal'atath in Patch 8.1.5
- Need help with BoS
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Guardian Druid 8.1
- Feral Druid 8.1
- when to use blizzard/aoe as frost?
- Windwalker Monk PvP 8.1
- Unholy Death Knight PvP 8.1
- Survival Hunter PvP 8.1