Marksmanship Hunter Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Shadowlands 9.0.5
Legendary Powers are targetable, unique effects that you can imbue certain base items with through the Runecarving system. In Shadowlands, these enable you to customize your Marksmanship Hunter, drastically improving your performance, and are arguably the most important aspect of your gear.
The purpose of this page is to help you pick the right legendary powers (and item slots for them) for your character, depending on the content you are interested in.
Introduction: Legendaries in Shadowlands
Legendary Powers are special effects affixed to items in the Shadowlands (through Runecarving). Most of these effects have benefits that are specific to your spec, and others work for all Hunter specs. On this page, we will go through the best ones for all types of content. Please refer to our Hunter Legendary Powers page and our Runecarving page for more information about these powers.
Which Stats For Your Legendary for Marksmanship Hunter
Best Overall Legendary for Marksmanship Hunter
This is basically our recommendation for which Legendary to craft first as a PvE player that does a variety of content. It is simply the best Legendary if you could only ever craft one.
Serpentstalker's Trickery will simply add Serpent Sting to all of your Aimed Shots. It is a significant, passive damage increase that works well in all situations. It is by far the best single-target Legendary, and it is one of the best AoE Legendaries. If you could only ever have one Legendary, this is the one for Marksmanship Hunters. It also allows you to effectively "multi-DoT" with Aimed Shot.
In Patch 9.0.5, this Legendary was indirectly nerfed for Night Fae Hunters as its effect will no longer cause Wild Spirits to proc multiple times. Despite this, it is still the best single-target Legendary, and one of the best AoE Legendaries.
Best Slot to Craft Legendary for Marksmanship Hunter
In the case of Serpentstalker's Trickery, you can either craft the Legendary on a Ring or a Shoulder Item. For most people, we recommend Shoulders, as you will not be able to get any better until Mythic Sire Denathrius. With that said, it is very close and will basically not matter which one you choose. There is an argument for simply crafting whatever comes out cheaper, as that will let you buy more Augment Runes for progression.
Best Raiding Legendaries for Marksmanship Hunter
- Serpentstalker's Trickery wins for all single-target and will be chosen for pretty much any fight in the raid.
- There is not really any good competition for Serpentstalker's Trickery in single-target situations. AoE is a lot more complex, though, so read on below!
Best Mythic+ and Torghast Legendaries for Marksmanship Hunter
This section covers the best Mythic+ and Torghast Legendaries. For this evaluation, we are considering a mix of AoE and single-target, but with a bias towards AoE. As you will see, the best AoE Legendaries are not necessarily the best Mythic+ Legendaries, as you will need to do both at least decently well to be viable in Mythic+.
- Serpentstalker's Trickery has the highest single-target and one of the highest AoE potentials of any Legendary. It is the default choice for all Mythic+.
- Surging Shots works well in all situations and is one of the best AoE Legendaries. However, it is going to take a lot of AoE to justify this Legendary over Serpentstalker's Trickery. We still recommend Serpentstalker's in pretty much all Mythic+ situations, but you should keep this Legendary in mind if you are lacking in the heavy AoE department.
- Eagletalon's True Focus enhances your opener burst significantly and is not bad for single-target. If you need an alternative to Serpentstalker's Trickery, we recommend either Surging Shots or this.
Other Legendaries for Marksmanship Hunter
- Secrets of the Unblinking Vigil is the strongest Legendary for heavy AoE and combines extremely well with the Deadly Chain Conduit. However, there is way too much single-target in Mythic+ to ever justify this Legendary.
- Nessingwary's Trapping Apparatus really does not fit the Marksmanship playstyle, which is GCD-capped, leaving no room to cast Traps for Focus generation. Skip this one.
- Call of the Wild has no particular strengths or weaknesses for Mythic+; it is simply worse than the competition and should not be chosen.
- Soulforge Embers is decent, but not great. It is rather difficult to use optimally, and is not even the best when used properly, so we recommend you skip this one.
- Craven Strategem is an interesting defensive option and might have very niche use cases, but we see it as more of a PvP Legendary and it should not be used for PvE.
- Maw Rattle does too low damage to be useful.
- Echo of Eonar is not powerful enough in its proc to be considered.
- Judgment of the Arbiter does too low damage to be useful.
- Norgannon's Sagacity is not very useful, since Marksmanship only has a single spell that would be affected by it.
- Sephuz's Proclamation is PvP-oriented and not useful for PvE.
- Stable Phantasma Lure is Torghast-specific and not worth considering for general PvE.
- Third Eye of the Jailer can be useful for Mythic+ in the future, but is not worth considering right now.
- Vitality Sacrifice is not worth it in any relevant PvE situation since in open world content, enemies usually hit our pet, and in Raid/Mythic+, they hit our tank.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Updated the description of some Legendary recommendations to reflect the Patch 9.0.5 changes.
- 08 Jan. 2021: Added note about which stats to put on your Legendary Item.
- 27 Nov. 2020: Added information about which slot to craft your Serpentstalker's Trickery Legendary for.
- 20 Nov. 2020: Page added.
- Big Fel Rush Momentum Fix on 9.1 PTR
- Burning Crusade Classic Hotfixes: June 18th
- 9.1 Necrotic Mostly Un-Nerfed but May Receive More Tuning Still
- Tyrande's New Model in Patch 9.1
- Patch 9.1 Release Candidate Now Available on the PTR
- Glory of the Dominant Raider Mount in Patch 9.1
- BCC Season 2 PvP Rings Now Being Removed From players
- Burning Crusade Classic Hotfixes: June 17th