Brewmaster Monk Essences — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, we go over the Essence system in Patch 8.3 of World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth, and we tell you which are the best essences to use as Brewmaster Monk, both for minor and major powers. Please refer to our Patch 8.3 Essence Guide for more information about the new essences introduced in Patch 8.3 and to our Essence guide for more general information about the Essence system and where Essences can be obtained from.
Azerite Essences for Brewmaster Monks
Introduced in Patch 8.2, Essences are unique items that drop from various forms of content. They are activated through your Heart of Azeroth, and they buff your character in various ways, depending on the Essences that are currently active.
For more information about essences, please check out the following:
- our Essence Guide, with all the essences and how to get them;
- our article on the new essences from Patch 8.3;
- our list of Patch 8.3 essence changes.
What follows on this page will relate directly to how Essences affect this spec, since generic information is beyond the scope of this guide.
Major Essences for Brewmaster Monks
Quick List of Essences for Brewmaster Monk
Minor Essences are slightly more flexible. For raiding, you will likely want to use Conflict and Strife ( Strife). Use Nullification Dynamo ( Null Barrier) on any fight with magic damage, then Sphere of Suppression ( Sphere of Suppression) and Worldvein Resonance. The Formless Void should be used to manage corruption when necessary.
New Essences in Patch 8.3
Patch 8.3 brings with it 3 new Essences. They are all very situational.
- The Formless Void ( Replica of Knowledge + Symbiotic Presence) lets you copy the Major Power of another player. The primary use for this is accessing DPS essences, such as Blood of the Enemy ( Blood of the Enemy) and Essence of the Focusing Iris ( Focused Azerite Beam), to deal more AoE damage. The single target damage of The Crucible of Flame ( Concentrated Flame) is better. Minor effect is Agility and Haste whenever someone else uses and Azerite Essence, which is alright.
- Touch of the Everlasting ( Touch of the Everlasting + Will to Survive) provides a 10 minute cooldown cheat death effect. This is unlikely to be useful, but it is worth having the option just in case it makes a fight significantly easier. The minor gives some Avoidance and lengthens Ironskin Brew when you fall below 35%, which is not useful.
- Strength of the Warden ( Vigilant Protector + Endurance) is an AOE taunt, and minor defensive/damage cooldown. Brewmasters already have access to an AOE taunt through the usage of Provoke on Summon Black Ox Statue, so we will never need this. Its Minor gives some healing, and 3% max HP to you and your co-tank.
All 3 Essences give the player 10 Corruption Resistance in addition. If you need this effect, just use them as minors. Formless Void is the best one.
Strong Major Essences for Brewmaster Monk
It is rare you will want to use any Majors other than these. Focus your game time on obtaining and upgrading them. Two are completely offense or defense focussed and one is a mix, so it is quite easy to decide which to use.
- The Crucible of Flame ( Concentrated Flame + Ancient Flame) gives you the ability to deal damage or heal a target (including yourself). This flexibility is quite nice, so it is a good Essence to generally use if you do not know whether to focus on defense or offense. It is gained when unlocking Essences, and upgraded by leveling your Heart of Azeroth.
- Conflict and Strife ( Conflict + Strife) grants you the Hot Trub PvP ability. In any content where you are taking large damage, this will be a DPS increase. The damage dealt is limited at 20% of your maximum health, so do not try to take more damage just to abuse the talent. Its Minor is also reasonable, granting a chunk of Versatility. Participate in Rated PvP to acquire it.
- Sphere of Suppression ( Suppressing Pulse + Sphere of Suppression) is the defense-focussed Essence. The majority of damage you take during BfA dungeons and raids is autoattacks, and this short cooldown is absurdly powerful at mitigating them. The Minor gives a decent amount of stats as well (though sadly Haste). Talk to the War Coordinator NPC near the Weekly PvP Cache to gain and upgrade this.
- Anima of Life and Death ( Anima of Death + Anima of Life) is decent for AoE damage (less than Conflict and Strife usually) and provides a decent heal at Rank 3. You might want to use this in Mythic+. It is obtained from Mythic+ dungeons.
Situational Major Essences for Brewmaster Monk
The following Major Essences have some potential to be used on very specific encounters, so you may want to work on them if you have extra time. Giving up the stronger Majors is tough though, so it is possible you will never use these.
- Azeroth's Undying Gift ( Azeroth's Undying Gift + Hardened Azerite) is a very short defensive cooldown. It is possible that this at Rank 3 could be used for specific attacks in raids, but with healer externals and Dampen Harm, this is not that likely. It is gained and upgraded naturally through raiding Eternal Palace.
- Nullification Dynamo ( Empowered Null Barrier + Null Barrier) is mostly similar in potential to Azeroth's Undying Gift, but only works on magic damage. However, at Rank 3 it also dispels Curse, Disease, Poison and Magic effects. This has some utility in Mythic+. It is gained through Rustbolt Resistance reputation.
- Ripple in Space ( Ripple in Space + Reality Shift) is a targeted delayed teleport. Given the already fantastic mobility Monks have, it is hard to see a use for this yet, but it could happen.
The rest of the Major Essences available to Brewmasters are pretty much worthless as of release.
Minor Essences for Brewmaster Monk
Strong Minor Essences for Brewmaster Monks
- Conflict and Strife ( Strife) gives Versatility. Use this if you do not have it in the Major slot.
- Nullification Dynamo ( Null Barrier) is strong in situations where you will be taking lots of magic damage. If the barrier is consumed regularly, then it does great DPS as well. You would use this on Jaina, for instance, over any other Minor.
- Use The Crucible of Flame ( Ancient Flame) if you have either of the above in the Major slot.
- Use The Formless Void ( Symbiotic Presence) if necessary to manage corruption.
- If you still have slots left, fill them with Sphere of Suppression ( Sphere of Suppression) and Worldvein Resonance ( Lifeblood).
Situational Minor Essences for Brewmaster Monks
- Aegis of the Deep ( Stand Your Ground) provides a lot of Versatility when facing many enemies, so is a solid pick for Mythic+.
Other Minor Essences are not worth considering at the moment.
- 14 Jan. 2020: Updated with new Patch 8.3 Essences.
- 07 Jul. 2019: Updated for Conflict and Strife nerf.
- 25 Jun. 2019: Page created.
- Spirit of Eche'ro Mount Quest Now Available on Live Servers
- Patch 8.3 and Classic Hotfixes: February 14th
- Patch 8.3 and Classic Hotfixes: February 13th
- Warsong Gulch Exit Portals to Be Removed
- MDI and AWC 2020 Plans and Changes Revealed
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: February 12th
- Blackwing Lair Cleared in Under an Hour, World First Videos
- Blackwing Lair Raid in WoW Classic (Official Preview)
- Restoration Shaman 8.2
- Mistweaver Monk PvP 8.1.5
- Holy Paladin 8.2
- VuhDo: a Comprehensive Guide
- Lunar Festival
- Mythic+ Affixes
- BfA Level 120 Battle Guide