Brewmaster Monk Tank Gear and Best in Slot — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, you will find the best gear and best in slot items for your Brewmaster Monk in World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
Gearing your Brewmaster Monk
Gearing for Brewmaster is very simple for non Azerite and trinket slots. Use the highest item level gear you can get, while trying to avoid Haste. A piece of gear 5 item levels higher with Haste will often still be an upgrade, as Haste is not entirely worthless, so do not go out of your way to avoid it. Rings are a different matter, however, as a ring with Haste will be an upgrade at about 15 item level difference.
There is a new item introduced in 8.3 that allows you to add a socket to an item that did not already have one: Gouged Eye of N'Zoth. For more information on how to obtain it, please go to our Horrific Visions Hub.
Azerite Gear for Brewmaster Monks
The following is a list of gear with desirable Azerite traits, as described in the Azerite section. Each has one of the best Outer Ring traits, and at least one more valuable trait.
The ideal setup of traits would be: 3x Training of Niuzao, 1x Straight, No Chaser, 1x Elusive Footwork, 1x ( Bonded Souls or Boiling Brew), 3x ( Gemhide or Impassive Visage). There is not yet a gear set which gets this exactly, but you should be able to get close to it with enough luck.
Raid Best in Slot Gear
In Patch 8.3, Blizzard has decided to put excellent traits on Ny'alotha gear, making your life much easier! Here is the ideal loadout, though the alternate for each slot is perfectly acceptable until you get your desired piece. Keep in mind that some Mythic+ gear may be better for non Azerite slots, and corruptions on gear will influence your decisions as well.
|Slot||Item||Azerite Trait Loadout||Source|
|Helm||Stygian Guise||Maut (Ny'alotha)|
|Shoulders||Pauldrons of the Great Convergence||N'Zoth the Corruptor (Ny'alotha)|
|Cloak||Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve||N/A||Legendary Cloak quest line|
|Chest||Tortured Fleshbeast Cuirass||Carapace of N'Zoth (Ny'alotha)|
|Wrists||Wristwraps of Volatile Power||N/A||Shad'har the Insatiable|
|Gloves||Chitinspine Gloves||N/A||The Hivemind|
|Belt||Cord of Anguished Cries||N/A||Dark Inquisitor Xanesh|
|Legs||Onyx-Imbued Breeches||N/A||Wrathion, the Black Emperor|
|Boots||Corpuscular Leather Greaves||N/A||Carapace of N'Zoth|
|Ring||Void-Etched Band||N/A||Shad'har the Insatiable|
|Weapon||Qwor N'lyeth||N/A||The Hivemind|
Mythic+ Azerite Gear
|Cowl of Fluid Machinations||Shrine of the Storm|
|Flashpowder Hood||Tol Dagor|
|High Altitude Turban||The MOTHERLODE!!|
|Pistoleer's Spaulders||Tol Dagor|
|Shoulders of the Sanguine Monstrosity||Underrot|
|Raiment of the Blighted Tribe||Waycrest Manor|
|Type II Bomber Jacket||Operation: Mechagon|
All items available from Patch 8.3 relevant content will have a chance to become Corrupted, which empowers the item with one of many effects. You can visit the Corrupted Items page for more information.
Tanks have a difficult time with corruption, as the Eye of Corruption can force us to move at unfortunate times, and getting hit by the Thing from Beyond spawned by Grand Delusions can easily result in a death.
However, the DPS benefits from corruption are absolutely immense. With excellent gear, the procs can provide a third to half of your damage. It is recommended you maintain a set of gear below 20 corruption for fights with very strict positional requirements or crowd control. You should not go to 80 corruption, unless you are on a very simple fight. 40 corruption will make most encounters significantly tougher on you.
Mitigating the effects of corruption is very simple. If you gain Grasping Tendrils and need to move, use Tiger's Lust. Obviously there is no choice but to move from Eye of Corruption, with this being more disruptive the more corruption you have. The Thing from Beyond spawned by Grand Delusions can be disabled for 4 seconds with Paralysis. You can then stun it for the rest of the 8 second spawn time or otherwise evade it. This means you cannot use Paralysis for anything else, so beware! Additionally, on large bosses, it can spawn inside the bosses hitbox meaning your Paralysis will be broken by your AoE.
If you choose to utilise corrupted items, the effects to use are:
- Echoing Void deals amazing damage. It is always found on corrupted Qwor N'lyeth. Use this if you get it and cover the corruption with the legendary cloak and the new Azerite Essences. The first 2 tiers are only 25 and 35 corruption.
- Infinite Stars is a huge ramping single target damage proc. Unfortunately, Tier 2 and 3 give 50/75 corruption, but the 20 from tier 1 is quite manageable.
Different trinkets are good for different situations. You should keep any trinkets you get and swap them out when the situation calls for it.
- Mchimba's Ritual Bandages drops from M'chimba the Embalmer in King's Rest. Its on use-effect provides an absorb shield around a quarter of your HP, and only has a 90-second cooldown. If you desire a defensive trinket you should hope to get this in your weekly Mythic cache.
- Idol of Indiscriminate Consumption will deal damage to up to 7 enemies or allies. You are healed for 200% of the damage dealt. This has a 1-minute cooldown. It drops from Uunat in the Crucible of Storms. The heal is huge, and comes up often, but be careful not to kill your allies.
- Edicts of the Faithless from the Queen's Court in the Eternal Palace provides a reasonable shield. You should make sure to consume it every time it is up, to not lose effectiveness.
- Bloodthirsty Urchin — A solid heal over time. This will almost always be at max. It drops from Lady Ashvane in the Eternal Palace.
- Highborne Compendium of Mystical Bulwark has the powerful effect of increasing your armour. It is a good option if you have no other exceptional trinkets, and it is easy to acquire (if you can afford it!).
Thanks to Bloodmallet.com, a comprehensive list of available trinkets for Brewmaster are listed against each other below. If the source of the trinket is not listed on mouseover, then it only appears in world quests, so is difficult to farm.
- 14 Jan. 2020: Updated for Patch 8.3 with Corrupted gear and new Azerite.
- 18 Jul. 2019: Removed useless BoD/CoS items in favour of legacy section.
- 15 Jul. 2019: Added Inscription trinket.
- 10 Jul. 2019: Added Benthic gear and Eternal Palace gear.
- 25 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 14 Apr. 2019: Updated for Crucible of Storms.
- 11 Mar. 2019: Updated trinket reccomendations.
- 21 Jan. 2019: Added raid Azerite gear.
- 14 Dec. 2018: Updated food and flasks recommendations.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Updated recommended Azerite gear pieces.
- 21 Sep. 2018: Added Bloodmallet sims.
- 03 Sep. 2018: Made a few tweaks to trinket recommendations and Azerite gear suggestions.
- 20 Aug. 2018: Added trinket recommendations.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- Encrypted Shadowlands Alpha Build 184.108.40.206411
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: February 19th
- WoW Shadowlands Alpha Added to Battle.net Catalog
- Ny'alotha Mythic WF Race, Conclusion: Top 10, N'Zoth Nerf, Limit Tank Goes to Method, Asia Upset and More
- WoW Classic "Not a Bug" List Update: February 19th
- Patch 8.3 and Classic Hotfixes: February 18th
- Burning Crusade Timewalking Event (February 18th - February 25th)
- UI API Change for UnitHealth
- Unholy Aoe Question
- Rustbolt Resistance
- Demonology Warlock 8.3
- Colossus Smash!?
- Protection Warrior 8.3
- Mage Leveling Guide