Brewmaster Monk Tank Easy Mode — Dragonflight 10.2
On this page, we explain how to easily play Brewmaster Monk in World of Warcraft — Dragonflight 10.2, using the simplest rotation, talent tree, stat priority, gear setup, etc., without sacrificing performance.
This section is intended for players who are new to the game or Monk class, have no intentions of raiding Mythic difficulty, or simply want a more straightforward way to play their specialization without being overwhelmed by the numerous priorities and active abilities that need to be taken into consideration for optimal play.
The Basics of Brewmaster Monks
Brewmaster Monks are some of the sturdiest brawlers out there, capable of shrugging off even the deadliest attacks with ease while offering plenty of options for mobility and defense. With the help of Stagger, there is next to nothing that can outright kill you in one hit, which makes for a more predictable damage intake to heal.
As a Brewmaster, your main resource to manage is Energy, which you will spend on abilities that reduce the cooldown of your Brews and act as a way to decrease the damage you are taking from your Stagger. The better you are at converting your Energy to Brew usage, the easier it will be to stay alive. Other keys to survival will involve taking advantage of your abilities that do not cost Energy, along with your cooldowns and utility.
Brewmaster Monk Beginner Talents
Below is a "default" talent tree containing many of the most standard and common talent choices for you to select in beginner-level content, while having the flexibility to adjust a few points as necessary for different scenarios. If you are okay with some additional complexity, then it is recommended to instead switch the choice node of Press the Advantage in the bottom of the specialization tree to Weapons of Order. Remember that you can easily import this tree into the game with either of the "Copy Export String" buttons!
If you are interested in knowing when to use some of the more situational talent choices in particular, take a look at our full talent analysis below.
Stat Choice for Brewmaster Monks
- Item Level
- Critical Strike=Versatility=Mastery
When gearing a Brewmaster Monk, you should prioritize item level above all else, as Agility, Armor, and Stamina are very valuable. Do not bother to drop item levels to avoid a piece that has Haste.
While the stat priority for classes is normally the same for both the Beginner Mode page and our full guide, there can be major differences depending on if you desire to be more offensive or defensive as a tank. If you want to see the full explanation of the stat priority, as well as the absolute top choices for what you want to prioritize, head to our full stats page.
Basic Rotation for Brewmaster Monks
For a better understanding of what all of the abilities in the priority below do to contribute to your performance, along with many more not covered in it, it is highly recommended to glance at the Spell List/Glossary page linked just below.
- Cast Keg Smash when available.
- Cast Breath of Fire when available.
- Cast Blackout Kick when available.
- Cast the Bonedust Brew ability when available.
- Cast Rising Sun Kick when available.
- Cast Exploding Keg when available.
- Cast Tiger Palm, if you have 65+ Energy, against one target; With Press the Advantage talented, you do not have to use Tiger Palm at all.
- Cast Spinning Crane Kick against multiple targets. You will also be using this against just one target when talented into Press the Advantage.
- Cast Expel Harm if you are dropping in health.
- Cast Fortifying Brew or Dampen Harm if you are about to take a large amount of damage, or Invoke Niuzao, the Black Ox if your Stagger is particularly high.
- Cast Chi Wave when you have nothing else to do.
You should make sure to not spend so much Energy on Spinning Crane Kick or Tiger Palm that you cannot cast Keg Smash when it is available. Following these steps will make sure you do as much damage as you can and have enough Brews to maintain a solid defense.
Shuffle and Brew Usage
It is very important to always have the Shuffle buff present so you take less damage upfront. You gain time on Shuffle by casting Keg Smash, Blackout Kick, and Spinning Crane Kick. If you are using the default UI, you can easily monitor the time left on your Shuffle by looking at the icon outlined in purple:
You can use Purifying Brew to get rid of damage you have Staggered. The level of Stagger on the default UI is shown above, outlined in red. The more the bar is filled, the more damage you are taking. Remember, though, it is equally important to maintain uptime on Shuffle so that your damage taken stays smooth as you purify what you can.
After you have purified a bit, use Celestial Brew to absorb a large amount of damage taken for a short period of time.
While the above is excellent for starting out as a Brewmaster Monk, it is recommended to eventually look into our full rotation guide to get a better grasp on how the abilities interact with each other and their other quirks.
- 10 Nov. 2023: Added a suggestion to try out Weapons of Order; swapped recommended talented class cooldowns.
- 06 Nov. 2023: Reworded the usage of Spinning Crane Kick with Press the Advantage talented.
- 04 Sep. 2023: Adjusted one talent recommendation for more beginner-focused content.
- 10 Jul. 2023: Recommended build and stats updated due to new talents in Patch 10.1.5.
- 01 May 2023: Page reviewed for Patch 10.1. No changes necessary due to no Brewmaster Monk updates.
- 20 Mar. 2023: Updated for Patch 10.0.7.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Talents adjusted to account for changes in Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 25 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
- Season of Discovery Global Launch Times: When Does the Update Go Live?
- Detailed Zone Exploration of New Night Elf Capital City of Bel'ameth in Patch 10.2.5
- Weekly Catalyst Charges in Patch 10.2.5
- Dragonflight 10.2 Hotfixes, November 29th
- Method World 3rd Fyrakk Mythic Kill and 9/9 Amirdrassil
- New Love is in the Air Armor Sets in Patch 10.2.5
- Icy Veins Launches Genshin Impact Guides Section
- Dragonflight Season 3 Mythic+ DPS Log Rankings: Week 2