Brewmaster Monk Tank Macros and Addons — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5
On this page, you will find a number of useful macros and addons to make your life easier when playing your Brewmaster Monk in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5.
1.1. Generic Macros for Monks
1.1.1. Detox Mouseover Macro
- #showtooltip Detox
- /cast [@mouseover,help,nodead] Detox;Detox
Using this macro will cast Detox on your mouseover target, if they are a friendly player and they are not dead. Otherwise, it will cast Detox on your current target.
1.1.2. Tiger's Lust Mouseover Macro
- #showtooltip Tiger's Lust
- /cast [@mouseover,help,nodead] Tiger's Lust;Tiger's Lust
Using this macro will cast Tiger's Lust on your mouseover target, if they are a friendly player and they are not dead. Otherwise, it will cast Tiger's Lust on your current target.
1.1.3. Chi Wave Macro
- #showtooltip Chi Wave
- /use [nomod, @player] Chi Wave
- /use [mod:ctrl] Chi Wave
This macro causes Chi Wave to target you for the initial heal, and if you hold down Ctrl, it heals (or damages, if it is a hostile target) your current target.
1.1.4. Tiger's Lust Macro
- #showtooltip Tiger's Lust
- /cast [@mouseover,exists,nodead,help] Tiger's Lust
This will cast Tiger's Lust on a friendly target if you have your mouse cursor over them, or their name in raid or party frames. If you do not have your cursor on a friendly target, it will cast Tiger's Lust on yourself. Tiger's Lust can get allies away from danger and remove slows and roots on them, so getting used to using a macro like this can greatly benefit your raid.
1.2. Specific Macros for Brewmaster Monks
1.2.1. Blessing of Protection Cancelaura Macro
- /cancelaura Blessing of Protection
This macro is very useful to have. It allows you to cancel a Blessing of Protection that may have been cast on you, allowing you to resume your attacks. It is also important because, while you are under the effect of Hand of Protection, mobs will not attack you and instead will just attack the next person on the aggro list (usually a DPS player).
1.2.2. Mouseover Taunt Macro
- #showtooltip Provoke
- /cast [@mouseover,harm,nodead]Provoke
This macro will use Provoke on the target you are currently mousing over.
1.2.3. Taunt from Statue
- #showtooltip Provoke
- /target Black Ox Statue
- /cast Provoke
This macro taunts all the targets around your Black Ox Statue, and then returns you to the target you previously had.
There is an alternative macro which you can use to have your taunt on a button, and press a modifier along with it to taunt the statue:
- /targetexact [mod:shift]Black Ox Statue
- /cast Provoke
- /targetlasttarget [mod:shift]
If you prefer a different modifier button, replace "shift" with "alt" or "ctrl".
2. Addons for Brewmaster Monk
2.1. Generic Addons for Monks
Here, at Icy Veins, we use ElvUI for all our characters. This addon is a complete replacement of the default User Interface. It comes with almost everything you need to perform properly: action bars, cooldown timers, proc display, etc.
We strongly recommend that you get this addon and our forum moderator Pandacho has written a quick configuration guide for it.
2.1.2. Boss Mods: Deadly Boss Mods or Bigwigs
Boss mods are addons that warn you about boss abilities and give you live advice on how to handle some mechanics. We strongly recommend you to get one such addon. At Icy Veins, we mostly use Deadly Boss Mods, the most popular boss mod. A good alternative is Big Wigs.
GTFO is a lightweight addon that notifies you when you are standing in harmful effects or when you are making other such mistakes. It is very useful, even if your boss mod is already alerting you of such things.
2.1.4. Parrot or Mik's Scrolling Battle Text
Parrot and Mik's Scrolling Battle Text are highly customisable addons for displaying floating battle text while in combat (incoming heals, damage of your spells, etc.). They both work very well by default.
2.1.5. Weak Auras
WeakAuras is an extremely useful addon that allows you to have visual effects on your screen, helping you track your buffs, debuffs and cooldowns. It is highly customisable and it can make it much, much easier to keep track of your procs and play your spec more proficiently. It can also be used for a variety of other functions.
The best place to find weakauras to use is Wago.io. See their Brewmaster Monk section. If you are looking for a simple Stagger bar, Rizzxd's aura provides all the information you need. There are many Brewmaster Weakaura groups that show cooldowns, energy, potential healing and more on Wago so you should be able to find one you like. Ipse's are quite popular, and also work for Windwalker.
2.1.6. Normalized Stagger
Rivers' Normalized Stagger Weakaura deserves a section of its own. It works slightly differently from other Stagger auras, in that it doe not just focus on the value of the Stagger damage you are taking. It mainly displays the size of your Stagger by comparing it to the amount of damage you have taken in the last 10 seconds. If it is high, your current level of Stagger is not stable and you should purify. Rivers provides a rough guide to purifying with the detail you gain from Normalized Stagger:
- Grey — do not purify;
- Yellow or Orange — Purify if the bar is nearly (70% to 80%) full, and you are not about to take a large spike of Stagger (e.g. Spear of Nightmares);
- Red — Purify if the bar is more than 50% full, or you are about to take a large amount of direct damage that pierces Stagger (e.g. Magic damage or Bleeds);
- Magenta — Purify if you are taking any damage at all that is not Staggered.
2.1.7. Recount / Skada / Details!
Recount is a well known addon that most people use for displaying current DPS or HPS (Healing Per Second). This add-on is not really lightweight, and provides a very high amount of information (and it can sometimes cause issues with performance). It is generally a good option to use Recount for checking what you take damage from and if the share of damage/healing you do with each of your abilities is similar to that of other players of your class.
An alternative to Recount (similar in function, so the choice is personal preference) is Details!.
A lightweight alternative to Recount and Details! is Skada Damage Meter.
2.1.8. Grid and GridClickSets (Optional)
ElvUI comes with decent raid frames. The only real reason for using Grid and GridClickSets is if you want to be able to decurse raid or party members by right clicking their frame in the raid of party frame. If you choose to go with Grid, then you might want to also use GridStatusRaidDebuff.
2.2. Specific Addons for Brewmaster Monks
2.2.1. Omen Threat Meter
Omen Threat Meter is the most popular addon for displaying the current threat levels on your target. We recommend you to use it to check on your current threat levels and ensure that you are not being overtaken in aggro.
- 14 Apr. 2019: Removed reference to BrewmasterTools requirement for Rivers' Normalized Stagger.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 11 Sep. 2018: Added an alternative taunt macro, using a modifier.
- 27 Aug. 2018: Added more information about Brewmaster Monk weak auras.
- WoW Classic: Racials and Racial Passives
- Patch 8.2: Rusty Mechanocrawler Mount
- WoW Classic Addons: Azeroth Auto Pilot
- Guides for Profession Changes in Patch 8.2
- Purification Protocol - Heart of Azeroth Essence Spotlight
- Fall of the Lich King Trailer Remastered
- Patch 8.2 Essence Hotfixes: June 22nd
- Battle for Azeroth Digital Comic #4: Mechagon
- Midsummer Fire Festival
- Mechagon and Junkyard Tinkering
- The Unshackled/Ankoan Waveblade
- Rustbolt Resistance
- Patch 8.2 Engineering Changes
- Patch 8.2 Enchanting Changes
- Patch 8.2 Cooking Changes
- Patch 8.2 Blacksmithing Changes