Brewmaster Monk Tank Stat Priority — Shadowlands 9.2.5
On this page, you will find out the optimal stat priority for your Brewmaster Monk. We first present the stat priority, before delving into more complex explanations. Our content is updated for World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.2.5.
The Basics of Stats for Brewmaster Monks
As a Brewmaster Monk, your stat priority stays simple for whatever you want to do.
Defensive Brewmaster Monk Secondary Stat Priority
- Item level
- Versatility = Mastery = Critical Strike
Brewmaster stats are fairly close in defensive value. For this reason, you should wear the highest item level gear you have available. Having more stats will often be more useful than having "better" stats for your defense. Jewelry slots are the main exception, as they do not have Agility or Armor on them. For these slots, you should focus on whatever provides the least amount of Haste when optimizing for defense.
Want to also know where to find pieces with this stat priority? Our gearing guide can make things easier.
Offensive Brewmaster Monk Secondary Stat Priority
- Versatility = Critical Strike
If you are trying to deal more damage as a Brewmaster rather than survive more of it, you should glance at our Simulation section to learn how to find out which stat is most useful based on what you are wearing. Just remember, as a tank your job is to survive first and deal damage second.
As with Stamina, Armor is a stat you will acquire from most of your gear by default, with higher item level pieces offering more. It has strong defensive value all the same.
As your item level continues to improve in Patch 9.2, you may eventually start to hit a point where your secondary stats are not as beneficial as they normally are. Put simply, for Brewmaster, these points occur at 30% for Haste and Versatility, 38% for Mastery, and 40% for Critical Strike. However, this only applies to the stat ratings. The temporary 30% Haste from Bloodlust does not count against you, for example. With that being said, the impact of this diminishing returns effect is not strong enough for you to end up ignoring the stats you desire. Depending on what items you have received as upgrades along the way, you may never even hit these points on any of your stats.
Brewmaster Monk Stats: Getting a Better Understanding
Critical Strike increases your chance to deal double damage or healing on most of your spells. Moreover, thanks to Celestial Fortune, your Critical Strike also gives you an increased chance for any healing you receive to heal for an additional 65%. Celestial Fortune also increases the size of absorbs on you — such as Celestial Brew — by 65% of your Critical Strike chance.
Versatility increases all your damage and healing done, and decreases all damage taken.
Your Mastery ( Mastery: Elusive Brawler) grants you a stacking buff that increases your chance to dodge, which lasts for 10 seconds or until you successfully dodge an attack. Your Mastery also passively increases your Attack Power. Higher Mastery means a greater dodge chance with each stack of the buff and more Attack Power. Attack Power also increases your healing from Gift of the Ox.
Agility increases your Attack Power, dodge chance, Stagger percentage, and even your self-healing. For the most part you do not need to concern yourself with how much of this stat you have, as it should always be increasing as you opt for higher-item-level pieces to equip.
Most encounters have abilities that cannot be mitigated or avoided. Also, you need to have a decent amount of health, in order to give yourself the chance to be healed before a subsequent attack kills you. As such, you need a minimum amount of Stamina. This amount will, in most cases, simply come from the Stamina found innately on your gear. Therefore, item level is the determining factor in keeping your health pool growing.
Do not worry too much about your Stamina. Brewmasters naturally have low health. However, more Stamina will increase the damage of your Touch of Death since it is based on your max Health.
Gems, Enchants, and Consumables
In addition to stats from gear, you can obtain more by socketing certain gems, applying enchantments, and using various consumables. These will usually be similar to your chosen stat priority, but our dedicated page covers the topic in greater detail.
- 10 Jun. 2022: Emphasized the importance of item level over specific stats for defense.
- 31 May 2022: Page reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 19 Feb. 2022: Reviewed for Patch 9.2; added a note about reaching diminishing return points on secondaries.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.5.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Elaborated on Agility's place among one's stats; revised stat priorities to only focus on Secondary stats.
- 19 Apr. 2021: Further clarified Celestial Fortune's interaction with absorbs.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 24 Nov. 2020: Defensive Stats updated to emphasize balancing secondaries.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Dracthyr Evoker Racial Mounts in Dragonflight
- Otterworldly Ottuk - New 500 Mounts Collected Achievement Reward in Dragonflight
- Dragonflight Loading Screen Implemented on the Dragonflight Beta
- Dracthyr Evoker Soar Moved to a Bonus Action Bar on the Dragonflight Beta
- Dragonflight Beta Development Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Balance Druid Dev Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Priest Dev Notes: September 21st
- Dragonflight Beta Dragonriding Notes: September 21st