Destruction Warlock Patch 9.1 Changes Analysis — Shadowlands 9.1
On this page, we tell you how the Patch 9.1 changes for Destruction Warlock affect the spec and what the current state of theorycrafting is.
Destruction Warlock in Patch 9.1: Chains of Domination
This page will go over how the changes currently on the Patch 9.1 Public Test Realm (PTR) will affect Destruction Warlocks, specifically how the changes impact the playstyle, best Legendaries, Covenants, etc. If you are simply interested in what the current changes are for Destruction Warlock on the 9.1 PTR, you can read our Patch 9.1 Warlock Changes.
Due to the nature of testing and ongoing development, any changes to Destruction Warlocks on the PTR are likely to be incomplete and/or not final. Make sure to keep checking this page over time for additional changes, and we highly recommend reviewing our Destruction Warlock guide once Patch 9.1 goes live for definitive thoughts on what changed and its impact on gameplay.
Base Spec Changes for Patch 9.1
At the time of writing, Chaos Bolt has received a flat 10% buff, bringing its Spellpower coefficient up to 320%.
Best Talents in Patch 9.1 for Destruction Warlock
The Chaos Bolt buff has not-so-obvious ramifications:
- Soul Conduit becomes stronger as a choice, and that indirectly also affects Roaring Blaze which may not end up being the default choice anymore when compared with Rain of Chaos.
- Eradication in combination with Soul Conduit becomes much stronger, and while it was already ahead in pure performance the ease of use of Flashover made it a less popular choice.
Best Legendary in Patch 9.1 for Destruction Warlock
Please keep in mind the new Covenant-specific Legendaries have not yet been revealed or datamined in the current PTR build. Therefore, their effectiveness and power is still unknown.
The buff to Chaos Bolt and the possible change in talent choices could influence the Legendary choice from Cinders of the Azj'Aqir toward Madness of the Azj'Aqir. Until I can determine the best setup it remains just an educated guess.
Best Covenant in Patch 9.1 for Destruction Warlock
With the new Soulbind rows being added the relative difference between Covenants seem to have shrunk, opening the possibility to play something different and at the same time be competitive with Night Fae. While Simcraft implementation is in its early stages it is hard to exactly quantify how good alternatives such as Bonesmith Heirmir will be in the grand scheme, but I will update the page as soon as I can provide concrete numbers on the new Soulbinds.
- 05 May 2021: Page created.
- How to Get Actual Mangos via Battleground Chat. Wait, What?
- Burning Crusade Classic Hotfixes: June 14th
- Blizzard Working on Protection Paladin's Threat Issue Bug
- Official Preview of Mythic Rating in Patch 9.1
- Class Tier List for Mythic+ in Shadowlands Season 1 (Week of June 15)
- Reduced Amount of BoE Gear from Sanctum of Domination
- Official Preview of Maw Updates in Patch 9.1
- Mawsworn Charger's Reins - New Torghast Mount in Patch 9.1