Demonology Warlock Patch 9.1 Changes Analysis
On this page, we tell you how the Patch 9.1 changes for Demonology Warlock affect the spec and what the current state of theorycrafting is.
Demonology Warlock in Patch 9.1.5: Chains of Domination
This page will go over how the changes currently on the Patch 9.1.5 will affect Demonology Warlocks, specifically how the changes impact the playstyle, best Legendaries, Covenants, etc. If you are simply interested in what the current changes are for Demonology Warlock on the 9.1.5 PTR, you can instead read our full list of changes to the entire Warlock class on our dedicated page below. For an additional list of content coming in Patch 9.1.5, you can also check out our Patch 9.1.5 Overview page.
Base Spec Changes for Patch 9.1.5
Felstorm damage is not capped at 8 target maximum, but suffers damage reduction past that value instead.
Nether Portal's cooldown was reduced from 3 to 2.5 minutes.
Best Talents in Patch 9.1.5 for Demonology Warlock
Demonic Strength is affected by Felstorm damage model change, increasing the output past 8 targets. In practical terms, however, it should not change the cases in which to pick a specific talent in the first row, as Dreadlash still remains the better choice for AoE at higher targets count (as it is not affected by damage reduction as the target count increases), and Bilescourge Bombers still is a Demonic Strength alternative at half its cooldown.
Nether Portal's change makes it so the cooldown does not align with the baseline 1.5-minute Tyrant cooldown or 1-minute cooldown Tyrant with Wilfred's Sigil of Superior Summoning, essentially making the talent worse in both cases.
Best Legendary in Patch 9.1.5 for Demonology Warlock
New covenant Legendaries do not seem to be very competitive for Demonology.
Wilfred's Sigil of Superior Summoning is continuously trending upwards as the best single- and 2-target Legendary option by a long shot, due how powerful Demonic Consumption is in relationship with stamina scaling.
Implosive Potential is still the best option in multi-target unless priority damage is needed. Grim Inquisitor's Dread Calling remains a solid generic option, offering flexibility in mixed scenarios at the expense of a worse performance compared to Wilfred's Sigil of Superior Summoning and Implosive Potential in their respective niches.
Best Covenant in Patch 9.1.5 for Demonology Warlock
Necrolord with Heirmir offer a competitive option to Niya for Demonology, but ultimately Night Fae have the luxury of 3 desirable Soulbinds that works with all 3 spec, whereas Necrolord mostly cater towards Demonology and Destruction players.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.5.
- 13 Jul. 2021: Removed PTR disclaimer.
- 27 Jun. 2021: baseline changes, legendary and covenant recommendations updated.
- 05 May 2021: Page created.
- Lead Cinematic Designer Revisits the Original Black Temple Trailer
- World of Warcraft on Game Pass: How Would It Work?
- Potential Impact of the Microsoft Acquisition on the Future of WoW
- Blizzard on Tier Set Design in Patch 9.2
- Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick Reportedly Leaving the Company After Microsoft Acquisition is Complete
- Microsoft + Activision Blizzard Acquistion Memes and Funny Images
- Burning Crusade Classic Phase 3, Patch 2.5.3 Notes
- An Excerpt from Bobby Kotick's Email to Staff