Elemental Shaman Frequently Asked Questions — Dragonflight 10.0.7
On this page, we go over several of the most frequently asked questions regarding Elemental Shaman in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth Dragonflight 10.0.7. This will be updated as more common repeated questions surface over the course of the expansion.
- 1. What Piece is Better, X or Y?
- 2. How much Haste should Elemental Shamans use? Is there a Haste cap?
- 3. Fire or Lightning-focused build?
- 4. What Talents Do I Use in Dungeons?
- 5. What Talents Do I Use in Raids?
- 6. Which Race is Best for Elemental Shaman?
- 7. What Trinkets Am I Looking to Get for Raiding?
- 8. How good is Elemental Shaman in Dragonflight?
- 9. What Flasks/Pots/Food/Enchants/Gems Should I Use?
- 10. How Many Targets Should I Cast Flame Shock On?
- 11. Should I use Lava Burst During Storm Elemental?
- 12. Do Multiple Earthquakes Stack?
- 13. How many targets make Earthquake worth using over Earth Shock or Elemental Blast?
- 14. What cooldowns does Flash of Lightning reduce?
What Piece is Better, X or Y?
The answer to this question in any context will always be to simulate it. This is because what is an upgrade for you may not be an upgrade for someone else. In other words, there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all answer, even when talking about 2 completely identical comparisons from you to another person. Everything in your gear has an effect on everything else.
This applies to gear, set bonuses, trinkets, legendaries, and even talents in certain situations.
The only exception to this rule is when a specific fight dictates a certain set of optimal talents, for example. If you are curious about what kind of setup to go for a specific fight, WarcraftLogs.com's rankings and statistics are a good place to see what others are doing.
We have a guide on how to sim yourself here:
How much Haste should Elemental Shamans use? Is there a Haste cap?
There is no specific cap for any secondary stat. It is very common for people to overestimate the importance of having the "right" secondaries, when in reality, having a higher quantity of stats will almost always beat having "better" stats. Having 130 of your worst stat is often better than having 100 of your best stat, as the differences are not as big as many people think. That being said, Elemental is currently one of the specs where secondary stats can matter a lot depending on your build, mostly due to interactions with our Mastery, and Lava Burst always being a Critical Strike.
For more detailed information about stats, please visit our dedicated Stats guide.
Fire or Lightning-focused build?
Currently it really depends on the situation. Lightning builds shine the most on 4 to 6 cleavable targets and can have more single-target damage in dungeons, while Fire builds, depending on your talent choices, will generally be better in most other situations. Fire-focused builds are recommended for most raid situations.
What Talents Do I Use in Dungeons?
What is best depends on a lot of factors — the other specs in your group, the dungeon you are doing, the affixes in play and so on. That being said, the talent list recommended on the Mythic+ section of this guide should be a good baseline.
For better and more detailed information, please visit our Talent guide below.
What Talents Do I Use in Raids?
There are multiple viable builds. While customized builds will be available on our dedicated raid pages, you can find more information about single-target focused builds on our Talent page below.
Which Race is Best for Elemental Shaman?
From a pure Patchwerk-DPS point of view, the best race for Elemental Shaman is Tauren for Horde and Dwarf for Alliance. However, I would not recommend picking a race based strictly on current Patchwerk-DPS.
You can see more detailed information in our Simulations section
What Trinkets Am I Looking to Get for Raiding?
You can find this information in our Gear section.
How good is Elemental Shaman in Dragonflight?
Elemental is in a good spot for any kind of content, although it may not necessarily be optimal with every party composition or on every boss. Regardless, there is almost no content at any level where Elemental Shaman will be unwelcome.
What Flasks/Pots/Food/Enchants/Gems Should I Use?
You can find this information in our Gems, Enchants and Consumables section.
How Many Targets Should I Cast Flame Shock On?
If using a Lightning-focused build, you should not cast Flame Shock when fighting multiple targets, unless you are using Splintered Elements, in which case you should use Flame Shock and Primordial Wave on 2 to 3 targets, assuming they will live for most of the DoT's duration.
If using a Fire-focused build, you should have as many targets affected by Flame Shock as possible, unless they are about to die.
Should I use Lava Burst During Storm Elemental?
Only instant casts with Lava Surge procs, and during Bloodlust/ Heroism you only cast those when you need to move.
For better and more detailed information, please go to our Rotation, Cooldown and Abilities section.
Do Multiple Earthquakes Stack?
How many targets make Earthquake worth using over Earth Shock or Elemental Blast?
You should use Earthquake with as few as 2 stacked targets if using Earth Shock. However if you are using Elemental Blast you should only use Earthquake when there are at least 3 or more stacked targets that will live for the duration.
What cooldowns does Flash of Lightning reduce?
Almost all of them. Here is the list:
- Storm Elemental
- Astral Shift
- Lightning Lasso
- Gust of Wind
- Wind Shear
- Spiritwalker's Grace
- Nature's Swiftness
- Totemic Recall
- Totemic Projection
- Nature's Guardian
- Earth Elemental
- Ancestral Guidance
- Cleanse Spirit
- Greater Purge
- Astral Recall
- ALL totems except Liquid Magma Totem
- It notably does NOT work on Spirit Walk
- 20 Mar. 2023: Updated some wording.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Updated build & earthquake sections.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 18 Nov. 2022: Updated several sections. .
- 26 Oct. 2022: Updated the Flame Shock section.
- 25 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
More Shaman Guides
Guides from Other Classes
- PvP Play with the Blues on the 10.1 PTR: March 31st
- Aberrus Raid Testing Schedule: March 30 - April 28
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 Hotfixes, March 28th
- Upcoming 10.1 PTR Changes to Class Tier Sets: March 28th
- Dragonflight 10.1, Season 2 New and Removed Mythic+ Affixes
- Dragonflight Patch 10.1 PTR Development Notes, March 28th: Old Mythic+ Affixes Removed, New Ones Added
- Riders of Azeroth Spotted in Zaralek Cavern in Patch 10.1
- A Preview of the Druid Crucible Raid Tier Set in Patch 10.1