Elemental Shaman DPS Mythic+ Tips — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1
On this page, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Elemental Shaman in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.
1. Elemental Shaman in Mythic+
Elemental Shaman is currently a middle of the pack ranged-DPS specialization for Mythic+ in Battle for Azeroth. It can provide strong multi-target burst and sustained damage, as well as a lot of utility. Talenting for strong multi-target burst, however, prevents you from having strong single-target burst, so you have to pick one or the other, and your single target damage is otherwise mediocre.
1.1. Elemental Shaman Mythic+ Rotation
Both the single target and multi-target rotations do not change in Mythic+ content. For more information about the Elemental Shaman DPS rotation, refer back to the Rotation, Cooldowns, and Abilities page.
The only additional habit you should practice in Mythic+ is to pool your Maelstrom towards the end of every trash pull, in order to reduce the ramp-up time needed to reach your maximum output.
1.2. Elemental Shaman Utility
Elemental Shamans provide support for the party through heavy crowd control, a variety of dispels and occasional healing.
- Your Earthquakes will always knock down non-Boss enemies once. Being able to spam Earthquakes results in considerable crowd control at no DPS-cost.
- Healing Surge heals for a moderate amount with a fast cast time. It costs 25% of your Mana pool. Do not hesitate to use it on yourself or others.
- Earth Elemental is a summon that is primarily used to help with tanking for 1 minute. It can taunt and, in Battle for Azeroth, can now take quite a bit of punishment before dying, while also dealing decent damage.
- Wind Shear is your "kick". It is fairly unique in that its 30 yards range and 12-second cooldown are shorter than most other ranged characters. This makes Wind Shear one of the best interrupts in the game, and you should use it a lot.
- Capacitor Totem is your only way to stun targets. You cast it at a target location and, after 2 seconds, it will stun enemies within 8 yards for 3 seconds. This ability has a 1-minute cooldown, which can be reduced by using the Static Charge talent.
- Hex is the Shaman equivalent of Polymorph. This spell transforms 1 enemy into a frog for 60 seconds, preventing it from attacking or casting spells as long as you do not attack it. It only works on humanoids and beasts.
- Earthbind Totem projects a totem that slows everything around it for 20 seconds. It is very useful, especially if you kite around the totem.
- Thunderstorm does very little damage, but knocks away enemies around you and slows them by 40% for 5 seconds. It is quite useful, especially when you use it to displace an enemy in a specific direction.
- Tremor Totem summons a totem removing all Fear, Charm and Sleep effects on party and raid members within 30 yards every few seconds for 10 seconds.
- Purge remove 1 beneficial effect from an enemy target.
- Cleanse Spirit removes all curses from a friendly target.
2. Mythic+ Talents for Elemental Shaman
Below are the suggested talents for Mythic+.
|15||✓ Earthen Rage||✗ Echo of the Elements||✗ Elemental Blast|
|30||? Aftershock||✗ Call the Thunder||✓ Totem Mastery|
|45||✓ Spirit Wolf||✗ Earth Shield||✓ Static Charge|
|60||✗ Master of the Elements||✓ Storm Elemental||✓ Liquid Magma Totem|
|75||✓ Nature's Guardian||✓ Ancestral Guidance||✗ Wind Rush Totem|
|90||✗ Surge of Power||✓ Primal Elementalist||✓ Icefury|
|100||✗ Unlimited Power||✓ Stormkeeper||✗ Ascendance|
As you can see, for all tiers except two, nothing is an automatic pick. Talents that are too weak will not be mentioned.
For level 15 talents, Earthen Rage requires no input and does the most damage in nearly every situation, so it is quite literally a no-brainer.
The level 30 row has all three talents fairly close in power for AoE. Totem Mastery is generally the best, especially if you can cast it before engaging, although having to constantly replace it and stay in range can be annoying. It is also by far the best for single target. Aftershock is solid for large AoE pulls, however this is an all-or-nothing gambling talent. Call the Thunder is weak for single-target and still falls behind for AoE.
Static Charge is a good default choice on the level 45 row, if you think the additional crowd control will be needed. Otherwise, the speed and damage reduction from Spirit Wolf is always nice to have.
Assuming you take Primal Elementalist, Storm Elemental gains Eye of the Storm, granting a significant AoE/Cleave boost for 8 seconds. Liquid Magma Totem lasts twice as long and has less than half the cooldown, but targets have to be stacked and mostly static to gain its full effect. Both are very strong talents. Avoid Master of the Elements as it gives no benefit in AoE situations.
The level 75 row provides a choice between passive survivability with Nature's Guardian or active group healing with Ancestral Guidance. We recommend the former, especially if you are unfamiliar with the content you are playing, but Ancestral Guidance can be very helpful to help your group through significant damage phases.
The level 90 row is between Primal Elementalist and Icefury. In most situations, Primal Elementalist is just the better idea, although Icefury allows constant single target DPS throughout the dungeon even if heavy movement is required.
Stormkeeper is now the best choice by far in nearly every situation.
3. Mythic+ Affixes
The way Mythic+ affixes are tiered in Battle for Azeroth has changed quite a bit since their launch in Legion.
There are now three weekly affixes and one seasonal affix. The first affix available instantly at level two and three, the second affix starts at level four, the third affix enabled at level seven, and finally the seasonal affix at level ten.
3.1. Tier One Affixes
- Fortified increases the Health pool of all non-boss enemies by 20% and damage dealt by 30%.
- Tyrannical increases the Health pool of boss enemies by 40% and their damage dealt by 15%.
Fortified and Tyrannical are the two affixes every player will see. These affixes shift the focus of dungeons from boss to trash depending on the week. Elemental Shamans will excel during Fortified weeks as our multi-target damage has a short ramp up time and then will sustain at high numbers with or without the use of cooldowns. During Tyrannical weeks, players may want to take more single-target oriented trinkets, gear, or even talents but that will be both dungeon and key level dependent.
3.2. Tier Two Affixes
- Raging increases the damage dealt by enemies below 30%, by 100%, until they die.
- Teeming adds additional trash mobs to certain packs throughout each dungeon.
- Bolstering buffs remaining enemies Health pools and damage dealt by 20% when an enemy dies nearby. To counter this affix, DPS all mobs down evenly and focus your casts into high Health mobs if there are any.
- Sanguine places a pool of blood on the ground when a mob is slain. This pool will heal remaining enemies who stay inside the zone and also damage players. Elemental Shamans should use Thunderstorm to push enemies off of each Sanguine zone.
- Bursting forces enemy mobs to detonate when slain, afflicting the group with a stacking debuff that causes players to suffer 10% of their max Health in damage every four seconds. When handling the Bursting affix, ask how many stacks your healer can handle and try to not mindlessly DPS and exceed your healers stack limit.
3.3. Tier Three Affixes
- Volcanic spawns volcanic plumes underneath and around players when in combat with any enemy. When damaged by Volcanic, players suffer 50% of their maximum Health pool in damage. The more enemies you are in combat with, the more Volcanic that will spawn.
- Grievous afflicts players with a stacking DoT when they fall below 90%. Use Healing Surge liberally during Grievous weeks and bring consumables to assist your healer when out of combat.
- Quaking will periodically attempt to interrupt casters by creating a damaging zone around each player. About 3 seconds after the zone forms, it will deal 20% maximum Health in damage to each player caught in the zone as well as interrupting any hard casts being finished during the shockwave.
- Explosive will occasionally spawn Explosive Orbs that need to be targeted and burned down within a short period of time or they will deal significant damage to the party. Explosive Orbs are not cleaveable and the amount of orbs that spawn scales with the amount of enemies pulled.
- Necrotic debuffs the target of enemy melee swings with stacking healing reduction and minor DoT. Elemental Shamans should utilize Thunderstorm, Capacitor Totem, Earthbind Totem and potentially Earth Elemental to assist tanks in kiting enemies before they become unhealable.
- Skittish reduces the amount of threat generated by tanks throughout the dungeon. If needed, use Earth Elemental as an artificial taunt on Skittish weeks.
3.4. Seasonal Affix
Infested is the seasonal affix for the launch of Battle for Azeroth. Enemies afflicted with the Infested debuff will be scattered throughout each dungeon once you reach key level ten. These mobs will heal enemies around them and when slain, will spawn two Spawn of G'huun that will attempt to infest remaining enemies.
There are several ways to handle Infested mobs depending on pack size, which mob is infested, and group composition. The first way to handle an Infested enemy is to burn down the infested target and the subsequently spawning Spawn of G'huun while either crowd controlling or ignoring the other mobs in the pack. The second way is to crowd control the Infested mob and burn down all the other enemies. After you kill and infested mob and the Spawns of G'huun spawn, Elemental Shamans can use Thunderstorm to knock them away or knock the remaining mobs away, as well as Earthbind Totem, Capacitor Totem and Frost Shock.
4. Mythic+ Azerite Traits
There are no Elemental Shaman-specific traits that are particularly special for Mythic+.
- Elemental Blast works particularly well with Natural Harmony.
- Synapse Shock is very good for any content.
- Echo of the Elementals and Ancestral Resonance are good for dungeon bosses.
- Igneous Potential is solid for 1-3 targets.
- Tectonic Thunder provides a solid DPS increase in AoE situations.
The best neutral traits for AoE are the following:
- Synaptic Spark Capacitor;
- Barrage Of Many Bombs;
- Blightborne Infusion;
- Thunderous Blast;
- Unstable Catalyst;
- Swirling Sands.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Updated talent recommendations for 8.1.
- 31 Aug. 2018: Updated recommended neutral traits.
- 11 Aug. 2018: Page added.
- Patch 8.1.5 Build 28938: Class Changes
- BfA PvP Season 2 Preview [Official]
- Tools of the Trade in Patch 8.1.5
- Four New Collectible Blizzard Books Coming This Fall
- Kul Tiran & Zandalari Druid Empowered Moonkin Form
- Allied Races: Are Mechagnomes and Vulpera Next?
- Titan Residuum Hotfix: January 16th
- The Story of Xal'atath in Patch 8.1.5
- Need help with BoS
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Guardian Druid 8.1
- Feral Druid 8.1
- when to use blizzard/aoe as frost?
- Windwalker Monk PvP 8.1
- Unholy Death Knight PvP 8.1
- Survival Hunter PvP 8.1