Restoration Shaman Healing Mythic+ Tips — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Restoration Shaman in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5.
1. Restoration Shaman in Mythic+
Restoration Shamans got a significant improvement to their healing kit with Patch 8.1. By mixing the strengthened Chain Heal and the new High Tide, they can perform strong AoE burst healing on demand, which is critical when clearing high level keys. They also kept their large amount of utility and the ability to do significant DPS when healing is not required.
1.1. Restoration Shaman Mythic+ Rotation
While Mythic+ demands more out of your single target healing kit than raids, your spell priority does not change in Mythic+ content. For more information, check out the full Restoration Shaman Healing Rotation.
1.2. Restoration Shaman Utility
Restoration Shaman provides support for the party through healing, damage, and other additional effects such as dispels and crowd control.
- Purify Spirit removes all Curse and Magic effects from a friendly target on a 8-second cooldown. This can often allow the purified ally to survive otherwise deadly situations and usually lowers the damage intake of that ally.
- Purge removes one beneficial Magic effect from an enemy target. This is very useful in Mythic+, as there are a lot of enemies with very powerful Magic buffs that we can remove immediately.
- Wind Shear interrupts an enemy target and prevents spells of the interrupted school from being cast for 3 seconds on a 12-second cooldown. Restoration Shaman is the only healer that can interrupt and Wind Shear has the shortest cooldown out of all ranged interrupts. As interruptible enemy casts are, often, some of the most dangerous abilities you will face in Mythic+, you should try to interrupt enemies as much as possible, prioritizing the most dangerous casts / ranged enemies that are hard for melee allies to interrupt.
- Capacitor Totem allows you to place a totem up to 30 yards away that, 2 seconds after being placed, explodes to stun a group of enemies in a 16-yard diameter for 3 seconds, on a 1-minute cooldown. When facing dangerous trash packs, 3 seconds can easily be the difference between victory and defeat, especially against Raging / Necrotic / Skittish. Be careful not to stun enemies on top of Sanguine pools.
- Earthgrab Totem and Earthbind Totem allow you to root / slow enemies in an area. This is very useful whenever your group has to crowd control powerful enemies, for example when facing Raging / Necrotic.
- Tremor Totem places a totem beneath you that periodically removes Fear, Charm, and Sleep effects from allies within 30 yards. It lasts for 10 seconds on a 1-minute cooldown. This should be used whenever enemies are casting Fear, Charm, or Sleep effects on your group.
- Hex disables a non-boss humanoid or beast enemy for 1 minute. It has a 10-second cooldown but only one enemy can be hexed at a time. This allows you to disable especially powerful enemies ahead of a pull.
- Earth Elemental summons an elemental with a large health pool and good non-boss tanking capabilities — its taunt does not work on bosses — for 1 minute on a 5-minute cooldown. Since it costs no Mana, it can be used for a minor DPS increase or as an emergency cooldown capable of distracting dangerous non-boss enemies.
- Bloodlust and Heroism increase Haste by 30% for 40 seconds for all group members within 100 yards. This ability applies a debuff to everyone in the group which prevents them from benefiting from other casts of this ability or other classes' equivalent abilities for 10 minutes.
2. Mythic+ Talents for Restoration Shamans
Below are the suggested talents for Mythic+; these talents are recommended for all groups and keys at the current time.
|15||✗ Torrent||✓ Undulation||? Unleash Life|
|30||✓ Echo of the Elements||✗ Deluge||✓ Earth Shield|
|45||? Spirit Wolf||? Earthgrab Totem||? Static Charge|
|60||✓ Ancestral Vigor||✓ Earthen Wall Totem||? Ancestral Protection Totem|
|75||✓ Nature's Guardian||✓ Graceful Spirit||? Wind Rush Totem|
|90||✓ Flash Flood||? Downpour||✓ Cloudburst Totem|
|100||✓ High Tide||✗ Wellspring||? Ascendance|
There are a few talent builds you can run, with all of them giving out similar results.
The most popular combination right now is to boost your area of effect burst healing by using High Tide and Cloudburst Totem. With these talents, a simple rotation of Chain Heal (to generate Tidal Waves) and Healing Surge when Cloudburst Totem is active can outheal anything that can be thrown at you in a dungeon, especially when combined with High Tide activating every 10 or so seconds when you're in a pinch.
3. Mythic+ Affixes
The way Mythic+ affixes are tiered in Battle for Azeroth has changed quite a bit since their launch in Legion.
There are now three weekly affixes and one seasonal affix. The first affix is enabled immediately at level 2, the second affix starts at level 4, the third affix starts at level 7 and, finally, the seasonal affix starts at level 10.
3.1. Tier One Affixes
- Fortified increases the health pool of all non-boss enemies by 20% and damage dealt by 30%.
- Tyrannical increases the health pool of boss enemies by 40% and their damage dealt by 15%.
Fortified and Tyrannical are the two affixes every player will see. These affixes shift the focus of Mythic+ from boss to trash depending on the week. Restoration Shamans excel during Fortified weeks, as our utility allows us to shine at crowd controlling and disrupting packs of enemies. During Tyrannical weeks we need to be more careful with Mana management on bosses. Also, highly damaging boss abilities might require the use of talents such as Spirit Wolf / Ancestral Vigor / Nature's Guardian, in order to survive.
3.2. Tier Two Affixes
- Raging increases the damage dealt by enemies below 30% by 100% until they die.
- Teeming adds additional trash mobs to certain packs throughout each dungeon.
- Bolstering causes dying enemies to increase the maximum health and damage of other nearby enemies by 20%. To counter this affix, DPS all mobs down evenly and focus on the highest health pool enemies first.
- Sanguine places a pool of blood on the ground when an enemy dies. This pool will heal enemies who stay inside the zone, while damaging players.
- Bursting causes enemies to detonate when slain, afflicting the group with a stacking debuff that causes players to suffer 10% of their maximum health in damage every four seconds. When handling the Bursting affix, make sure your group knows how many stacks you can handle at a given point and try to save healing cooldowns for larger pulls, which will cause high Bursting stacks.
3.3. Tier Three Affixes
- Volcanic spawns volcanic plumes underneath and around players when in combat with any enemy. When damaged by Volcanic, players suffer 50% of their maximum health in damage. The more enemies you are in combat with, the more volcanic plumes will spawn.
- Grievous afflicts players with a stacking damage over time effect when they fall below 90%. Make sure to quickly remove the debuff with focused healing / cooldowns if needed, or it is likely you will fall behind and deaths will occur.
- Quaking will periodically attempt to interrupt casters by creating a damaging zone around each player. About 3 seconds after the zone forms, it will deal 20% maximum health in damage to each player caught in the zone and interrupt any casts being finished during the shockwave.
- Explosive will occasionally spawn Explosive Orbs that need to be targeted and burned down within a short period of time or they will deal significant damage to the party. Explosive Orbs are not cleaveable and the amount of orbs that spawn scales with the amount of enemies pulled.
- Necrotic debuffs the target of enemy melee swings with stacking healing reduction and a minor damage over time effect. Restoration Shamans can help the tank survive through the use of Capacitor Totem / Earthgrab Totem / Earthbind Totem / Earth Elemental.
- Skittish reduces the amount of threat generated by tanks throughout the dungeon. Again, you can use Capacitor Totem / Earthgrab Totem / Earthbind Totem / Earth Elemental to quickly get enemies back under control.
3.4. Seasonal Affix
Reaping is the seasonal affix for Season 2 of Battle for Azeroth. Every 20% of mob clearing percentage, the enemies you killed in the dungeon so far will rise again as one of three types of ghosts. These have 50% of their original body's maximum health, and come in three types:
- Risen Soul: These will apply Reap Soul to their current target, dealing 2% maximum health in damage every 3 seconds, per stack. This should be Purify Spirited.
- Tormented Soul: These will cast Grave Bolt, which deals 25% of maximum health in damage to the cast target. This should be Wind Sheared.
- Lost Soul: Will cast Shadow Smash at their current target, a frontal cone ability that can be side-stepped. If you are hit by this, your maximum health will be reduced by 20% for 1 minute. Additionally, when Lost Souls die, they will cast Expel Soul, spawning swirls on the ground that must be dodged. If you are hit by this, your damage and healing done will be reduced by 10% for 30 seconds. Wind Rush Totem and Spiritwalker's Grace can help you and your group deal with these mechanics.
Restoration Shamans are well suited to dealing with this affix as they can dispel and interrupt, as well as crowd control the incoming packs of enemies.
Strategy wise, you should try to avoid hitting Reaping breakpoints while fighting tough enemy packs, as it is easy to get overwhelmed in such a situation. If things go wrong and your group fails the timer, Bwonsamdi will offer Bwonsamdi's Bargain to make the remaining clear faster.
Note that the Souls enter combat immediately upon spawning, although they can reset if in-combat stealth techniques, such as Shadowmeld, are used. Any Souls remaining from the previous wave will re-enter combat during the next wave. Like other trash mobs in dungeons, Souls will drop combat once the dungeon completes (all bosses are killed and Enemy Forces is at 100%), so you may want to kill the last boss before finishing off your trash count to avoid the final Reaping wave.
4. Best Mythic+ Azerite Traits
- Turn of the Tide is a must, making your most used dungeon spells significantly stronger. It is a trait worth stacking and you should always have at least one active in your gear while healing dungeons.
- Igneous Potential increases your DPS immensely, while not costing much in terms of global cooldowns. The damage portion of the trait stacks and you should aim to have as many of these as possible when heavily DPSing in Mythic+.
- The other S rated traits are also very powerful in Mythic+. Make sure to check them out on our Azerite page!
- 20 Apr. 2019: Changed the talent build description.
- 15 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 02 Apr. 2019: Updated recommended talents based on feedback.
- 02 Mar. 2019: Added Igneous Potential to the list of recommended Mythic+ traits.
- 22 Jan. 2019: Added more details on the Reaping affix and a list of the best Mythic+ Azerite traits.
- 21 Jan. 2019: Updated for Season 2 of Battle for Azeroth, Infested affix was removed and Reaping affix and recommendations was added.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Updated for Patch 8.1 changes: High Tide is now a recommended talent for Mythic+ dungeons. Added a detailed explanation on several build types under the talent table.
- 11 Nov. 2018: Updated talent recommendations.
- 22 Oct. 2018: Updated talent choices.
- 05 Aug. 2018: Added page.
- Azshara's Eternal Palace Boss Video Preview
- Patch 8.2: Ankoan and Unshackled Waveray Mounts
- How to Get and Return to Mechagon & Nazjatar in Patch 8.2
- Upcoming Vision of Perfection Changes on 8.2 PTR for Brewmaster Monks & Guardian Druids
- Patch 8.1.5 Hotfixes: May 24th
- WoW Classic "Not a Bug List" Update: May 24th
- Warsong Gulch & Honor System Testing on Classic Beta
- Blizzard's Looking for Essences Feedback
- Hunter Rotation Notes Questions
- Beast Mastery Hunter Pure Single Target Rotation
- So long and thanks for all the fish.....
- Stat caps?
- Havoc Demon Hunter PvP 8.1.5
- Frost Death Knight 8.1.5
- Destruction Warlock 8.1.5
- Best Classic WoW Rotation and Class Guides for 1.12?