Restoration Shaman Healing Mythic+ Tips — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Restoration Shaman in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
Restoration Shaman in Mythic+
Mythic+ Dungeons, especially high ones, are the highest level of competitive PvE content that WoW has to offer aside from Mythic raiding.
In Mythic Dungeons as a Healer, you will be responsible for the survival of your group, which includes healing through any mistakes that might happen related with standing in fire.
This makes your skill and execution absolutely critical to the success of the group, but fortunately Restoration Shamans are adept at reacting to unexpected damage and have various catch up mechanics for when things go wrong, such as our Mastery, Mastery: Deep Healing.
Besides Healing, you can also contribute to your group in various other ways by interrupting, offensively dispelling enemy targets, crowd controlling and using your stuns. Situations where you can make good use of your utility kit are much more common in Mythic+ than your usual Mythic raid, providing an interesting challenge after Healing is mastered.
If you are unfamiliar with Mythic+ and its associated general mechanics, you can read more about it on our dedicated Mythic+ page below.
Restoration Shaman Mythic+ Rotation
While Mythic+ demands more out of your single target healing kit than raids, your spell priority does not change in Mythic+ content. For more information, check out the full Restoration Shaman Healing Rotation.
Restoration Shaman Utility
Restoration Shaman provides support for the party through healing, damage, and other additional effects such as dispels and crowd control.
- Purify Spirit removes all Curse and Magic effects from a friendly target on a 8-second cooldown. This can often allow the purified ally to survive otherwise deadly situations and usually lowers the damage intake of that ally.
- Purge removes one beneficial Magic effect from an enemy target. This is very useful in Mythic+, as there are a lot of enemies with very powerful Magic buffs that we can remove immediately.
- Wind Shear interrupts an enemy target and prevents spells of the interrupted school from being cast for 3 seconds on a 12-second cooldown. Restoration Shaman is the only healer that can interrupt and Wind Shear has the shortest cooldown out of all ranged interrupts. As interruptible enemy casts are, often, some of the most dangerous abilities you will face in Mythic+, you should try to interrupt enemies as much as possible, prioritizing the most dangerous casts / ranged enemies that are hard for melee allies to interrupt.
- Capacitor Totem allows you to place a totem up to 30 yards away that, 2 seconds after being placed, explodes to stun a group of enemies in a 16-yard diameter for 3 seconds, on a 1-minute cooldown. When facing dangerous trash packs, 3 seconds can easily be the difference between victory and defeat, especially against Raging / Necrotic / Skittish. Be careful not to stun enemies on top of Sanguine pools.
- Earthgrab Totem and Earthbind Totem allow you to root / slow enemies in an area. This is very useful whenever your group has to crowd control powerful enemies, for example when facing Raging / Necrotic.
- Tremor Totem places a totem beneath you that periodically removes Fear, Charm, and Sleep effects from allies within 30 yards. It lasts for 10 seconds on a 1-minute cooldown. This should be used whenever enemies are casting Fear, Charm, or Sleep effects on your group.
- Hex disables a non-boss humanoid or beast enemy for 1 minute. It has a 10-second cooldown but only one enemy can be hexed at a time. This allows you to disable especially powerful enemies ahead of a pull.
- Earth Elemental summons an elemental with a large health pool and good non-boss tanking capabilities — its taunt does not work on bosses — for 1 minute on a 5-minute cooldown. Since it costs no Mana, it can be used for a minor DPS increase or as an emergency cooldown capable of distracting dangerous non-boss enemies.
- Bloodlust and Heroism increase Haste by 30% for 40 seconds for all group members within 100 yards. This ability applies a debuff to everyone in the group which prevents them from benefiting from other casts of this ability or other classes' equivalent abilities for 10 minutes.
Mythic+ Talents for Restoration Shamans
Note that the talents recommended below are specifically for Mythic+. If you wish to see a more general overview of Restoration talents, you can check our main page below.
Below are the suggested talents for Mythic+.
|15||✗ Torrent||✓ Undulation||✓ Unleash Life|
|30||✓ Echo of the Elements||✓ Deluge||✗ Earth Shield|
|45||? Spirit Wolf||? Earthgrab Totem||? Static Charge|
|60||? Ancestral Vigor||✓ Earthen Wall Totem||? Ancestral Protection Totem|
|75||? Nature's Guardian||? Graceful Spirit||? Wind Rush Totem|
|90||✓ Flash Flood||✗ Downpour||✓ Cloudburst Totem|
|100||✓ High Tide||✗ Wellspring||✓ Ascendance|
There are a few talent builds you can run, with all of them giving out similar results.
The most popular combination right now is to boost your area of effect burst healing by using High Tide and Cloudburst Totem. With these talents, a simple rotation of Chain Heal (to generate Tidal Waves) and Healing Surge when Cloudburst Totem is active can outheal anything that can be thrown at you in a dungeon, especially when combined with High Tide activating every 10 or so seconds when you're in a pinch.
Best Mythic+ Azerite Traits
- Turn of the Tide is a must, making your most used dungeon spells significantly stronger. It is a trait worth stacking and you should always have at least one active in your gear while healing dungeons.
- Igneous Potential increases your DPS immensely, while not costing much in terms of global cooldowns. The damage portion of the trait stacks and you should aim to have as many of these as possible when heavily DPSing in Mythic+.
There are plenty of other traits which are also very powerful in Mythic+, especially the stat increasing ones, which do not rely on large group healing to be effective. Make sure to check them out on our Azerite page!
Best Mythic+ Essences
- Major: Vitality Conduit ( Vitality Conduit)
- 1st Minor: Conflict and Strife ( Strife)
- 2nd Minor: Spirit of Preservation ( Devout Spirit)
- 3rd Minor: Ever-Rising Tide ( The Ever-Rising Tide)
While Mythic+ is certainly not a Restoration Shaman's playground right now, our weaknesses on single target healing can be mitigated by using a strong single target essence such as Vitality Conduit (or, alternatively, Spirit of Preservation). The rest of the essences are mostly there for their generic stat buffs.
For extra alternatives and full descriptions, be sure to check out all the Essences on our Essences page!
Trinket Considerations for Restoration Shamans in Mythic+
You can find more options and other gearing options, including a BiS list made out of only dungeon gear below.
- 06 Apr. 2020: Updated talent recommendations.
- 28 Jan. 2020: Updated Essence recommendations and added a description for the new Awakening Affix.
- 14 Jan. 2020: Updated for Patch 8.3, removed Beguiling in favor of Awakening and added new Essence recommendations.
- 25 Sep. 2019: Due to the buffs allowing our single target spells to benefit from it, Deluge is now viable.
- 20 Jul. 2019: Recommending Ascendance again as a viable option for M+ Restoration Shaman healing.
- 14 Jul. 2019: Season 3 updates: Beguiling affix details and Essence considerations.
- 25 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 20 Apr. 2019: Changed the talent build description.
- 15 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 02 Apr. 2019: Updated recommended talents based on feedback.
- 02 Mar. 2019: Added Igneous Potential to the list of recommended Mythic+ traits.
- 22 Jan. 2019: Added more details on the Reaping affix and a list of the best Mythic+ Azerite traits.
- 21 Jan. 2019: Updated for Season 2 of Battle for Azeroth, Infested affix was removed and Reaping affix and recommendations was added.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Updated for Patch 8.1 changes: High Tide is now a recommended talent for Mythic+ dungeons. Added a detailed explanation on several build types under the talent table.
- 11 Nov. 2018: Updated talent recommendations.
- 22 Oct. 2018: Updated talent choices.
- 05 Aug. 2018: Added page.
- Will the Shadowlands Pre-patch Only Last 2 Weeks? Could Ocober 13th Be the Release Date?
- How You Can Help More During the Stress Test
- Week 1 Analysis of the Heist League from The Chaos Report
- Shadowlands WoD Leveling Speed Nerfed, 1-50 Leveling Will Take Significantly Longer
- Player Reaches Max-Level With 38 Characters
- Best WoW Addon Managers in 2020 for Shadowlands
- Heart of Darkness Azerite Power Provides a Flat Secondary-Stat Increase in Shadowlands
- All Beta Testers Now Have Access to All 3 Shadowlands Realms