Protection Paladin Essences — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5
On this page, we go over the new Essence system in Patch 8.2 of World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth, and we tell you which are the best essences to use as Protection Paladin, both for minor and major powers. Please refer to our Patch 8.2 Guide to Essences for more information about the Essence system and where Essences can be obtained from.
Azerite Essences for Protection Paladins
Introduced in Patch 8.2, Essences are unique items that drop from various forms of content. They are activated through your Heart of Azeroth, and they buff your character in various ways, depending on the Essences that are currently active.
Our Essence Guide has a full list of all the Essences, together with their descriptions and explanations on how they work.
What follows on this page will relate directly to how Essences affect this spec, since generic information is beyond the scope of this guide.
Disclaimer: Please note that at the moment, simulations and general theorycrafting around Essences is a work in progress, and as a result, most of the recommendations made here are subject to change.
Recommended Major Essences for Protection Paladins
Any Essence placed here will give you both its Major and Minor Powers.
These Essences have many uses or are very strong in some situations, making them very attractive to have at your disposal, to swap to and from when the encounter suits them best.
- Azeroth's Undying Gift is one of the strong tank options against upfront spike damage. This can effectively be a 40% damage reduction against a big nuke ability on a 45 second cooldown. It is not very strong against sustained damage intake as it drops off very quickly. Its minor effect is also pretty strong against pure physical damage, with a 120 second cooldown.
- Memory of Lucid Dreams increases the recharge rate of Shield of the Righteous by 100% for 15 seconds. This will half the recharge time of Shield of the Righteous charges for its duration. This can be a great option against encounters where you would want to ensure a sustained Shield of the Righteous uptime for a longer period of physical damage reduction. As a Minor Power, it has a chance to refund 50% of your Shield of the Righteous charge, heal you, and give you a small amount of Versatility, further increasing Shield of the Righteous uptime.
- Suppressing Pulse, from Sphere of Suppression, will reduce the attack speed of all enemies nearby by 25% when used defensively. This can be very valuable should melee attacks be the main concern and it has a very short cooldown. It can also be used as a kiting tool, as it will reduce movement speed by 70% for 8 seconds, and you will also gain 50% movement speed at the same time. That said, Paladins already have tools such as Divine Steed and Consecrated Ground, meaning they gain very limited benefit from this effect from the Essence. Its Minor Power basically guarantees you an amount of Haste at all times, as long as you are being hit.
- Concentrated Flame deals damage or healing depending on your target. Each hit also deals damage or heals the target for 75% of the initial amount. Each hit deals 100% increased damage or healing, which resets every third cast. This is a very weak self-heal option, considering it is on the Global Cooldown, however it deals alot of damage and looks to be our highest damage Major Power Essence. Its Minor Power also deals damage or healing over time, which results in fairly significant damage throughput on its own, although it is a bit unreliable as the debuff will drop off now and then. Rank 3 comes with 2 charges of this Essence, and it is essential for high damage to pair together with Seraphim, and you always want to spend your charges with increased secondary stats.
- Anima of Death deals fire damage to nearby enemies based on your maximum health. If you are not at full health, it will also heal you for 10% of your health per target hit. Its main use is for AoE burst damage, either to snap threat or to deal a large amount of damage to a big group of enemies. You end up sacrificing 10% health on use, this means you will effectively not be healed against single-target, but you can technically use it as a heal in AoE situations as it will heal you for 10% per target hit. Its Minor Power gives you stacking health, as well as a heal when at max stacks. This effect is very minor, as it disappears when your health goes low, but it helps you do more damage when you use the power.
- Aegis of the Deep reduces damage per attack by a very small amount on a fairly short cooldown. This is weak against single target, but can be very effective when AoE tanking mobs hitting often, but for lower amounts. You also gain a minor amount of Avoidance for 6 seconds. Its Minor Power gives you Versatility for each target within 10 yards, and that Versatility is doubled when below 35% health. You will also receive a small heal every few seconds, which is increased for each target nearby. This is a strong AoE tanking option defensively, but very weak single target.
- Worldvein Resonance provides passive Strength which goes up and down depending on procs. When used, you can force spawn 3 shards to give you more Strength, and you also benefit from other players standing close to Shards. Their range is long enough that you should generally be able to benefit from melee players' shards as well, without interfering too much with positioning. It is a fairly significant amount of Strength, should you be able to maintain a decent uptime on multiple shards. We recommend not using this Essence unless a few others are using it as well.
While some of the Essences below are rather weak to slot in your Major slot. They may offer a really strong Minor effect which you would like access to, but compared to the other Major Essences, this will see little use as the Major slot.
- Empowered Null Barrier provides a strong magic shield which also removes many dispellable debuffs from you. While this effect is pretty weak on such a long cooldown, its passive effect makes this Essence a strong option in its own right. The passive only absorbs magic damage on a set timer, but it also explodes for reliable and sizeable damage.
- Vision of Perfection grants your abilities a chance to gain Avenging Wrath for 35% of its normal duration, as well as some very minor Haste for you and two allies nearby. Avenging Wrath is not massive defensively, but you will benefit from added Critical Strike on Judgment, as well as an Avenging Wrath proc WILL also proc the full 20 seconds buff, which guarantees your next Light of the Protector as a critical strike. Its minor effect also reduces the cooldown of Avenging Wrath, gives you a very minor amount of Versatility, as well as heal you whenever you use Avenging Wrath or when it procs from its Major Power.
- Ripple in Space is a very niche Essence. It can be an amazing tool for us Paladins, as this is our only way to avoid a knock-back. This can be used to deal AoE damage on a 1-minute cooldown, but also has the benefit of reducing damage taken by 10% after use. As mentioned before, it is very limited in use, but it can be an incredibly strong tool to have at the right moment. Its Minor Power gives movement speed and Strength after moving 25 yards quickly, which again is super limited to PvE.
- Conflict allows you to gain the Steed of Glory talent, which increases the duration of Divine Steed by 2 seconds, and you are also immune to movement impairing effects, and you knock back enemies you run through. This is a rather limited PvE talent, as the movement gain is still very minimal. As a Minor Power, you do get stacks of Versatility which have a very reliable uptime.
Recommended Minor Essences for Protection Paladins
Once you reach Heart of Azeroth Level 55 and 65, you will gain access to an Minor Essence slot, which will ONLY give you the Minor Power from an Essence. Keep in mind what Major Power you have chosen and compliment it with the following Minor Power Essences.
Great Minor Essences
- Null Barrier from Nullification Dynamo provides a magic shield on a 15-second timer. It explodes after 10 seconds, dealing damage equal to damage absorbed. If the shield can reliably be used up by magic damage, this is a very strong option offensively, as well as defensively, as it will reduce some of the damage which would not be reduced by your active mitigation otherwise.
- Hardened Azerite from Azeroth's Undying Gift provides you with a lot of Armor once you fall below 35% health. After 4 seconds, this amount diminishes to half for another 4 seconds. This can only proc once every 2 minutes. This is a strong choice against physical damage.
- Stand Your Ground from Aegis of the Deep grants Versatility for each enemy in proximity and doubles this amount when below 35% health. This Minor Power also heals you every 4 seconds, which is then increased in power for each enemy around you. A very strong Minor Power when AoE tanking defensively, should you not be using it as a Major Power.
- Strife from Conflict and Strife provides high Versatility with a very reliable uptime. While it does not have any fancy effects, secondary stats are very strong.
- Sphere of Suppression provides a medium haste buff with 100% uptime when actively tanking. While it does not have any fancy effects, secondary stats are very strong.
Good Minor Essences
- Lucid Dreams from Memory of Lucid Dreams gives Shield of the Righteous, as well as Seraphim, a chance to refund half of its charge, heal you, and increase Versatility for 8 seconds. This is a solid defensive choice when Shield of the Righteous is effective.
- Strive for Perfection from Vision of Perfection reduces the cooldown of Avenging Wrath and increase Versatility by a small amoun. While more Avenging Wrath is always welcome, it may not have a large impact. Note that this essence will help increase the uptime on Avenging Wrath when paired with Righteous Protector.
- Lifeblood from Worldvein Resonance gives a lot of Strength, assuming a couple of people in your proximity are using this Essence too. This is a very solid option for damage and survival should you be able to keep the stacks high.
Low-Impact Minor Essences
- Ancient Flame from The Crucible of Flame deals a lot of damage, if you can get the buff to stack to 3 and maintain it for a period of time. However, it is not reliable to stay up at all times.
- Anima of Life from Anima of Life and Death increases max health stacking up to 10 times, and heals you every 5 seconds while at max stacks. You gain these stacks when you kill an enemy which yields experience of honour, meaning it is going to be rather hard to stack up in raids, and its effect is rather weak there too. Can have uses in Mythic+ but the heal is still very weak in such a scenario.
- Reality Shift from Ripple in Space provides movement speed as well as Strength if you move 25 yards within 4 seconds. This can be hard to reliably do as a tank outside of when you engage with an enemy.
- 13 Jul. 2019: Page have been updated with improved Essence recommendation.
- 24 Jun. 2019: Page added.
- Diablo 2 Cinematics Upscaled to 4K and 8K
- Jokerd Removed from Method Org After Ninja Looting
- Pet Battle Changes in 8.3: Visions of N'zoth (Official Preview)
- N'Zoth Raid Testing Streams
- World Bosses and PvP Honor System Available
- Outlaw Rogue Anniversary Event Ragnaros Bug
- Corrupted Weapons from Ny'alotha, the Waking City in Patch 8.3
- Wrathion Sells Various Items in Patch 8.3
- What’s the better PC?
- Fire Mage 8.2
- Marksmanship Hunter 8.2
- Frost Mage 8.2
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Holy Priest 8.2
- 15-Year Anniversary Event
- Very low HPS MW monk