Restoration Shaman Frequently Asked Questions — Shadowlands 9.2.5
On this page, we go over several of the most frequently asked questions regarding Restoration Shaman in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth Shadowlands 9.2.5. This will be updated as more common repeated questions surface over the course of the expansion.
- 1. Are Restoration Shamans Good?
- 2. Are Restoration Shamans Good in Raids?
- 3. Are Restoration Shamans Good in Mythic+?
- 4. Are Restoration Shamans Good in PvP?
- 5. Best Covenant for Restoration Shamans?
- 6. Best Soulbind for Restoration Shamans?
- 7. Best Conduits for Restoration Shamans?
- 8. Best Legendary for Restoration Shamans?
- 9. Best Trinkets for Restoration Shamans?
- 10. Is There a Haste Cap for Restoration Shamans?
- 11. What is the Best Race for Restoration Shamans?
- 12. How Does Earth Shield Interact with Chain Heal?
- 13. Does Chain Heal Require High Tide to be Used?
- 14. Does High Tide Activate from Free Casts Made While Innervated?
- 15. Why is My Wellspring Healing so Much on Some Casts Relative to Others?
- 16. What is the Best Loa for Zandalari Restoration Shamans?
Are Restoration Shamans Good?
Restoration Shamans are very good in Raids and PvP, due to high spot and stacked group healing and utility. They are also great in Mythic+, having high utility and a ranged interrupt, as well as strong burst DPS with Deeptremor Stone and the Kyrian / Venthyr Legendaries.
A summary of all changes for the latest patch can be found on our Restoration Shaman introduction page. Read on for a more detailed opinion on our state for Mythic+, PvP and Raids.
Are Restoration Shamans Good in Raids?
There are plenty of good playstyles available in our talent tree — from flexible, High Tide-powered Chain Heal bursts, to cheap Wellspring rotations replacing most would-be expensive Chain Heal casts.
Are Restoration Shamans Good in Mythic+?
Restoration Shamans are one of the best classes for pushing high keys, as they have very strong healing, as well as burst damage on demand with Deeptremor Stone and the Kyrian / Venthyr Legendaries. They are also the only healer who can interrupt. Their main weakness is their lack of sustained damage, especially in large pulls.
If you do wish to go ahead and try to complete higher keys as a Restoration Shaman, you can find more information on how to maximize your output on our Mythic+ page below.
Are Restoration Shamans Good in PvP?
As the most versatile healers in the game, with roots, slows, strong healing output, mobility, and even a ranged interrupt, they always have a place on PvP teams.
If you wish to give PvP as a Restoration Shaman a try, you can follow the advice in our spec PvP guide below.
Best Covenant for Restoration Shamans?
All four Covenants are good. Kyrian is favored for Mythic+ due to its very high damage potential, but Necrolord, Venthyr, and Night Fae all have their unique perks and provide strong healing in any type of content.
Best Soulbind for Restoration Shamans?
Assuming full renown and a raid setting, Emeni for Necrolord, Theotar the Mad Duke for Venthyr, Forgelite Prime Mikanikos for Kyrian and Niya for Night Fae. Options for all situations are detailed in our Covenants guide.
Best Conduits for Restoration Shamans?
Swirling Currents is your best conduit. A Covenant-specific conduit or Heavy Rainfall should be used in your second and third potency slots. Thunderous Paws is the best finesse conduit. Vital Accretion and Condensed Anima Sphere are the best endurance conduits. Conduits are explained in detail in our Covenants guide.
Best Legendary for Restoration Shamans?
Primal Tide Core is the best all-around Legendary and Raging Vesper Vortex is the best damage Legendary. Elemental Conduit and Seeds of Rampant Growth are also great all-rounders for their respective Covenants. Deeptremor Stone is also amazing for dealing damage, especially in Mythic+. Earthen Harmony is superb in PvP. All Legendaries are detailed in our Legendaries guide.
Best Trinkets for Restoration Shamans?
Is There a Haste Cap for Restoration Shamans?
There is no Haste cap. Its purpose is to make your rotation feel smoother and more responsive. The increased throughput comes at the cost of Mana, however.
We cover the stat priority and assess each stat in more detail on our dedicated stats page, which is linked below.
What is the Best Race for Restoration Shamans?
You can learn more about racial benefits and other aspects of the class in the simulations page.
How Does Earth Shield Interact with Chain Heal?
Earth Shield does not increase the whole Chain Heal by 10% when cast on a target with it. Only the first hit is increased, and this applies to all other interactions with Earth Shield; only its target gets the healing increase and only while Earth Shield is active.
Does Chain Heal Require High Tide to be Used?
Chain Heal casts with the High Tide buff are very powerful, but you can also take one of the other talents, especially Wellspring, and perform well, as long as you can cast it on cooldown without much over-healing, as well as make good use of the Mana saved with these casts.
Also, keep in mind that Chain Heal generates Tidal Waves while doing significant healing, which warrants usage in most group healing scenarios. Finally, it is one of the ideal spells to cast while you have Innervate on yourself!
Does High Tide Activate from Free Casts Made While Innervated?
Yes! Casts done under the effects of Innervate cost 0 Mana, but are still counted towards High Tide's next activation threshold.
Why is My Wellspring Healing so Much on Some Casts Relative to Others?
Wellspring will divide its tooltip healing amount by the targets hit, in order to do a maximum amount of 6 * (tooltip healing). This means that, usually, the maximum amount of healing you can get from a Wellspring cast caps at 6 injured targets. The trick to go past this hard cap is understanding it does this calculation as you finish casting it, but it still has a small travel time to actually hit other players. If only a few people are injured at the time Wellspring finishes casting, but they all become injured by the time Wellspring actually hits, all of them are hit by the uncapped amount, thus creating a huge burst of healing! Just be careful not to finish casting Wellspring when no one is injured because, at that point, its unique over-healing prevention mechanic will kick in and it will do extremely low healing on anyone hit, instead.
What is the Best Loa for Zandalari Restoration Shamans?
The Critical Strike buff provided by Embrace of Pa'ku is currently the best choice available.
- 31 May 2022: Page reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 21 Feb. 2022: Page reviewed and approved for Patch 9.2.
- 01 Nov. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.5.
- 27 Aug. 2021: Reworked the best trinket answer.
- 29 Jun. 2021: Updated with answers relevant to Patch 9.1.
- 13 Jun. 2021: Revamped many answers based on current meta.
- 22 Dec. 2020: Added a Best Trinkets section.
- 24 Nov. 2020: Page updated for Shadowlands launch.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- New Stay Awhile and Listen Dialogue Between Baine Bloodhoof and Mayla Highmountain in Dragonflight
- A Preview of Vicious Mounts in Dragonflight Season 1
- Patch 9.2.7 and Wrath Classic Hotfixes: September 29th
- Battle for Undercity Quest Fix
- Dragonflight Group Loot and BoE Clarifications
- Embodiment of the Storm-Eater Preview in Dragonflight
- New Map Model in Dragonflight
- The Winds of Wisdom XP Buff Returns on October 4