Restoration Shaman Frequently Asked Questions — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5
On this page, we go over several of the most frequently asked questions regarding Restoration Shaman in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5. This will be updated as more common repeated questions surface over the course of the expansion.
- 1. How good is Restoration Shaman in Battle for Azeroth?
- 2. Are Restoration Shamans good for Mythic+ in Battle for Azeroth?
- 3. Are Restoration Shamans Good For Raids in Battle for Azeroth?
- 4. How much Haste (and other stats) should Restoration Shaman use?
- 5. Which is the best race for Restoration Shaman?
- 6. How Does Earth Shield Interact with Chain Heal?
- 7. Does Chain Heal Require High Tide to be Used?
- 8. Does High Tide activate from free casts made while Innervated?
- 9. Why is my Wellspring healing so much on some casts relative to others?
- 10. Does Azerite Trait's effect stack when I use multiples?
- 11. What is the best Loa for Zandalari Restoration Shamans?
- 12. Changelog
How good is Restoration Shaman in Battle for Azeroth?
In short: really good in raids and decent in Mythic+! A summary of all changes for the latest patch can be found on our Restoration Shaman introduction page. Read on for a more detailed opinion on our state for Mythic+ and Raids.
Are Restoration Shamans good for Mythic+ in Battle for Azeroth?
We can push high keys alongside any other healer class, and output significant damage by using Igneous Potential traits as well. While we are very easy to play in Mythic+ healing-wise, there is a lot of skill involved in perfecting the weaving of our DPS and utility kit alongside healing, as well as making sure everything is purged and interrupted ASAP.
Are Restoration Shamans Good For Raids in Battle for Azeroth?
Restoration Shamans are a must have in raids due to our powerful, unique tools ( Spirit Link Totem, Ancestral Protection Totem and Ancestral Vigor, especially) and strong cooldown-oriented healing. There are plenty of good playstyles available in our talent tree — from flexible High Tide-powered Chain Heal bursts, to cheap Downpour / Wellspring rotations replacing most would-be expensive Chain Heal casts.
How much Haste (and other stats) should Restoration Shaman use?
Haste will make your rotation feel smoother and more responsive. Due to the stat squish, however, Intellect is now our most powerful stat (eventually giving way to Critical Strike and the other secondary stats, as we get more Intellect throughout the expansion) and should be stacked as much as possible. In 99% of cases, this means that you should use the highest item level gear you have available, as the specific stat distribution is a minor healing gain. Items with Leech / Avoidance are worth ~10 item levels extra, 15 if they are rings. Finally, rings do not have Intellect and thus you can afford to lose 5 to 10 item levels on them in order to use the best secondary stats possible. Keep in mind that trinkets and Azerite gear usually have special effects alongside their baseline stats, which are critical for determining their worth.
Which is the best race for Restoration Shaman?
The best race for Alliance players is Kul'Tiran, while the best race for Horde players is Goblin (PvE) / Orc (PvP), as explained in our Restoration Shaman racial breakdown on the Simulations page.
How Does Earth Shield Interact with Chain Heal?
Earth Shield does not increase the whole Chain Heal by 10%, when cast on a target with it. Only the first hit is increased, and this applies to all other interactions with Earth Shield; only its target gets the healing increase and only while Earth Shield is active.
Does Chain Heal Require High Tide to be Used?
Chain Heal casts with the High Tide buff are very powerful, but you can also take one of the other talents, especially Wellspring and perform well, as long as you can cast it on cooldown without much overhealing and make good use of the Mana saved with these casts. Also, keep in mind that Chain Heal generates Tidal Waves while doing significant healing, which warrants usage in most group healing scenarios. Finally, it is one of the ideal spells to cast while you have Innervate on yourself!
Does High Tide activate from free casts made while Innervated?
Yes! Casts done under the effects of Innervate cost 0 Mana, but are still counted towards High Tide's next activation threshold.
Why is my Wellspring healing so much on some casts relative to others?
Wellspring will divide its tooltip healing amount by the targets hit in order to do a maximum amount of 6 * (tooltip healing). This means that, usually, the maximum amount of healing you can get from a Wellspring cast caps at 6 injured targets. The trick to go past this hard cap is understanding it does this calculation as you finish casting it but it still has a small travel time to actually hit other players. If only a few people are injured at the time Wellspring finishes casting, but they all become injured by the time Wellspring actually hits, all of them are hit by the uncapped amount, thus creating a huge burst of healing! Just be careful not to finish casting Wellspring when no one is injured because, at that point, its unique overhealing prevention mechanic will kick in and it will do extremely low healing on anyone hit, instead.
Does Azerite Trait's effect stack when I use multiples?
The hard and fast rule for what stacks and what does not on Azerite Traits is as follows: numerical bonuses that scale with item level all stack, however most of the other effects do not. When in doubt, check the trait on our Azerite Traits page. If it has mechanics that don't stack, that will be said in its description.
What is the best Loa for Zandalari Restoration Shamans?
The Critical Strike buff provided by Embrace of Pa'ku is currently the best choice available for healing.
- 25 Jun. 2019: Reworked the text for Patch 8.2.
- 15 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 16 Mar. 2019: Added which Loa is best when playing a Zandalari Troll and updated a lot of the text for the 8.1.5 patch.
- 18 Dec. 2018: Added new questions on viability, stat caps, and race choices.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Updated for Patch 8.1 changes and added FAQ entries related to some obscure Restoration Shaman / Azerite mechanics.
- 28 Aug. 2018: Added two new FAQ entries.
- 04 Aug. 2018: Added page.
- World Bosses and PvP Honor System Available
- Outlaw Rogue Anniversary Event Ragnaros Bug
- Corrupted Weapons from Ny'alotha, the Waking City in Patch 8.3
- Wrathion Sells Various Items in Patch 8.3
- Patch 8.2.5 and Classic Hotfixes: November 13th
- PvP with the Blues: November 15th
- Ny'alotha, the Waking City Rewards: Ny'alotha Allseer (Mythic N'Zoth Mount) & Wriggling Parasite (Glory of the Ny'alotha Raider Mount)
- Infinite Heart of Azeroth Trait in Patch 8.3: Purity of the Worldsoul
- Frost Mage 8.2
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- 15-Year Anniversary Event
- Very low HPS MW monk
- Fury Warrior 8.2
- Frost Death Knight 8.2
- Beast Mastery Hunter 8.2
- Gems for Timewalking Arcane Mage