Restoration Shaman Healing Easy Mode — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1
On this page, we explain how to easily play Restoration Shaman in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1, using the simplest rotation, talent tree, stat priority, gear setup, etc., without sacrificing performance.
This section is intended for players who are new to the game or class, have no intentions of raiding Mythic difficulty, or simply want a more straightforward way to play their specialization without being overwhelmed by the numerous priorities and active abilities that need to be taken into consideration for optimal play.
2. The Basics for Restoration Shaman
Restoration Shaman is a healing specialization that excels at healing group damage. They are also decent spot healers, having a variety of cooldowns to draw on that can suit any situation. In this section we will be focusing on a setup that minimizes the amount of buttons and reactivity necessary while still providing flexible and potent healing at your fingertips.
3. Talent Choice for Restoration Shaman
These choices are optimized for ease of use. Although some talents might offer marginally higher gains when played perfectly, these same talents often result in healing losses when utilized by many players. The talents recommended below aim to present the best setup that has very little punishment for unfamiliarity or mistakes.
- Level 15: Torrent
- Level 30: Echo of the Elements
- Level 45: Spirit Wolf
- Level 60: Ancestral Vigor
- Level 75: Nature's Guardian
- Level 90: Flash Flood
- Level 100: High Tide
4. Stat Choice for Restoration Shaman
Currently, you will want to prioritize stats as follows.
- Critical Strike
- Haste = Mastery
5. Basic Priority List for Restoration Shaman
- Use Riptide on an injured target whenever available.
- Use Healing Stream Totem on cooldown.
- Use Healing Rain to heal injured clumps of allies.
- Use Chain Heal to heal groups of allies whenever necessary.
- Use Healing Surge with Tidal Waves to provide emergency surgical healing.
- Use Healing Wave, even when out of Tidal Waves, to provide efficient single target healing.
6. Healing Cooldowns for Restoration Shaman
Healing Cooldowns are meant to allow you to provide a big burst of healing or survivability to your group. In exchange, each of them is typically only usable once every 3 minutes. Below follows a short description of each cooldown and its basic applicability so that you can form an idea of when it is best to use them.
Healing Tide Totem should be used when group damage is high / dangerous but spread equally over the whole group. It provides high spread healing over a period of time and can be used while moving, which allows you to use it while doing fight mechanics or casting other healing spells.
Spirit Link Totem grants 10% damage reduction to and redistributes the health of members inside the totem to keep everyone at equal levels of health percentage. This cooldown is best used when there are allies taking deadly damage near other allies who are healthy. This can be easily achieved against raid wide damage by having some of the group use immunities and / or personal cooldowns. Darkness's randomness over who benefits from the 20% damage avoidance can also be entirely normalized by the use of Spirit Link Totem, a powerful combination.
7. Azerite Traits for Restoration Shaman
Azerite Traits are additional effects that are available on special helm, shoulder, and chest slot armor throughout Battle for Azeroth. These Azerite traits will scale with the item level of the item and all versions of an item will have the same traits. Some of the traits are generic, while others are specialization or role specific. Azerite gear will have either two (Rare Armor) or three (Epic Armor) rings of traits. For the purpose of this guide, the rings will be referred to as the outer, middle, and inner rings. Rare armor does not have a middle ring.
For your convenience, we have listed the best Azerite traits on each ring below. To read our comprehensive trait rankings, please check the Azerite Traits page.
7.1. Best Outer Ring Azerite Traits
- Swirling Sands causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 12 seconds. This duration can be extended by landing Critical Strikes up to a maximum of 18 seconds.
- Blightborne Infusion causes your spells to have a chance to increase your Critical Strike for 14 seconds.
- Archive of the Titans is an Uldir-specific trait. It gives you a small primary stat buff every 5 seconds which stacks up to 20 times. Stacks only decay when out of combat. It also gives the Reorigination Array buff, which you should always aim to have active while raiding in Uldir.
- Turn of the Tide increases both of your Tidal Waves bonuses by 5% (only once, even if you have multiple copies of this trait equipped) and increases the healing they do while Tidal Waves are active.
7.2. Best Middle Ring Azerite Traits
- Concentrated Mending causes your healing effects to have a chance to grant the target a HoT that heals every 2 seconds for 12 seconds. The amount healed doubles every 2 seconds.
- Blessed Portents grants your healing spells a chance to apply Blessed Portents to the target for 20 seconds. When the target falls below 35% health, Blessed Portents is consumed and heals them.
- Blood Siphon passively increases your Mastery and Leech.
7.3. Best Inner Ring Azerite Traits
- Impassive Visage heals you when you take damage. It can not occur more often than every 6 seconds.
- Resounding Protection causes you to gain an absorb shield every 30 seconds.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Updated for Patch 8.1 changes, High Tide is now the recommended talent for all types of PvE content. Also added new Azerite Traits to look out for.
- 12 Sep. 2018: Updated stat priority and Azerite traits to match other guide pages.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated Azerite traits.
- 11 Aug. 2018: Added a short list of the best Azerite traits.
- Wintergrasp 8.1.5 PTR Testing: February 19th
- Rextroy's 40 Vs 40 Events
- Patch 8.1 Hotfixes: February 14th
- Patch 8.1.5: Kul Tiran Human Intro Cutscene
- Patch 8.1.5: Zandalari Troll Intro Cutscene
- PvP Hotfixes: Feb 13th - Massive Mana Regen Nerf
- Crucible of Storms Raid Testing: Feb 21st-25th
- Patch 8.1.5 Build 29352: Highlights
- Question on simming...
- Transmogrification Demon Hunters
- Affliction Warlock 8.1
- Fire Mage 8.1
- Frost Death Knight 8.1
- Marksmanship Hunter 8.1
- Destruction Warlock 8.1
- Demonology Warlock 8.1