Subtlety Rogue Frequently Asked Questions — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5
On this page, we go over several of the most frequently asked questions regarding Subtlety Rogue in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1.5. This will be updated as more common repeated questions surface over the course of the expansion.
1. Should I Use Fast or Slow Off-Hand Weapons?
Use a dagger in off-hand, unless you have a slow weapon that is around 40 item levels higher than your dagger.
2. Does Our Stat Priority Change on Multi-Target?
On multiple targets, Mastery gains more value while Haste loses some. This is due to a larger portion of our damage coming from finishers on AoE and the accelerated resource gain diminishes the value of Haste.
3. What Azerite Traits Should I Aim To Get?
The First Dance and Inevitability are far ahead of other traits on single-target. Note that, in situations where you are casting Shuriken Storm, these traits do effectively nothing as they only work with Shadowstrike and Backstab. To get a better understanding of Azerite traits, refer to the Simulations page.
4. How much Haste should Subtlety Rogues have? / Is there a Haste cap?
5. Which Race or Racial Ability is the best for Subtlety Rogue?
The DPS differences between the races are fairly minimal. The best races for DPS on Horde are Pandaren, Undead and Blood Elf. For Alliance Void Elf, Night Elf and Dwarf are the best.
You can see a ranked list of all the Racials on our Simulations page.
6. How good is Subtlety Rogue in Battle for Azeroth (Patch 8.1)?
Subtlety is in very decent spot for both raiding and Mythic+ in 8.1, along with the other two Rogue specs.
Subtlety has better burst and priority damage with multiple targets than Assassination and Outlaw, but in general slightly lower single-target output.
7. What Piece is Better, X or Y?
The answer to this question in any context will always be to simulate it. This is because an upgrade for you may not be an upgrade for someone else. In other words, there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all answer, even when talking about 2 completely identical comparisons from you to another person. Everything in your gear has an effect on everything else.
This applies to gear, azerite pieces, trinkets, and even talents in certain situations.
The only exception to this rule is when a specific fight dictates a certain set of optimal talents, for example. If you are curious about what kind of setup to go for a specific fight, WarcraftLogs.com's rankings and statistics are a good place to see what others are doing.
We have a guide on how to sim yourself here:
8. How Much of X Stat Should I Have?
For the most part, there is no set "amount" of any stat that you should have. There are also no stat goals or particular distributions of stats that you want to aim for. It is very common for people to overestimate the importance of having the "right" secondaries, when in reality, having a higher quantity of stats will almost always beat having "better" stats. Having 120 of your worst stat is often better than having 100 of your best stat, since the differences in value are not as big as many people think.
- 15 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed for Crucible of Storms and no changes are necessary.
- 08 Jan. 2019: Added additional questions.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- 11 Aug. 2018: Page added.
- Vanilla/Classic Small Faction Zone Control Map
- Azshara's Eternal Palace Boss Video Preview
- Patch 8.2: Ankoan and Unshackled Waveray Mounts
- How to Get and Return to Mechagon & Nazjatar in Patch 8.2
- Upcoming Vision of Perfection Changes on 8.2 PTR for Brewmaster Monks & Guardian Druids
- Patch 8.1.5 Hotfixes: May 24th
- WoW Classic "Not a Bug List" Update: May 24th
- Warsong Gulch & Honor System Testing on Classic Beta
- Hunter Rotation Notes Questions
- Beast Mastery Hunter Pure Single Target Rotation
- So long and thanks for all the fish.....
- Stat caps?
- Havoc Demon Hunter PvP 8.1.5
- Frost Death Knight 8.1.5
- Destruction Warlock 8.1.5
- Best Classic WoW Rotation and Class Guides for 1.12?