Assassination Rogue DPS Easy Mode — Shadowlands 9.0.2
On this page, we explain how to easily play Assassination Rogue in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.0.2, using the simplest rotation, talent tree, stat priority, gear setup, etc., without sacrificing performance.
If you are new to the class or spec, it is best advised to start slow by starting with a straightforward build to get a better handle on the core mechanics and interactions. This build is only marginally worse than the most optimal way to play the spec, so there is no need to worry at all about potentially lacking behind fellow Rogue players while you get to know the foundations of Assassination.
The Basics for Assassination Rogue
Assassination primarily focuses on maintaining damage over time effects for potent sustained damage and cleave. In this section, we will be focusing on a setup that minimizes the amount of buttons and reactivity necessary without unduly compromising overall damage output.
If you are completely new to Assassination and need more information on the abilities available to you, you can check out our Spell Summary page.
Talent Choice for Assassination Rogue
These choices are optimized for ease of use. While some talents can be better in certain situations, this build works very well in all types of content while being not nearly as punishing for unfamiliarity with the core principles of the spec.
- Level 15: Elaborate Planning
- Level 25: Subterfuge
- Level 30: Vigor
- Level 35: Cheat Death
- Level 40: Iron Wire
- Level 45: Alacrity
- Level 50: Poison Bomb
For more in-depth analysis on each of the talent choices and the reasoning behind the aforementioned build as the go-to for ease of use, check out the Talent section below.
Best Covenant, Soulbind and Conduits for Assassination Rogue
We recommend selecting Night Fae as your Covenant and Niya as your Soulbind. Night Fae is a solid Covenant choice that further boosts your mobility and provides strong bonuses to your damage for single-target, cleave and AoE. It is good for both raids and Mythic+.
Choose these Conduits for your Assassination Rogue:
- Potency: Well-Placed Steel and Lethal Poisons.
- Finesse: Quick Decisions and Fade to Nothing.
- Endurance: Recuperator and Nimble Fingers.
You can find out more about all four Covenants, as well as all Soulbinds and Conduits in our comprehensive Covenant section:
Stat Choice for Assassination Rogue
Currently, you will want to prioritize secondary stats as follows:
- Critical Strike;
For Mythic+, you will want to prioritize stats as follows:
- Critical Strike;
You can learn more about what each stat does for you and which stats are the best for each situation by heading to our stats page.
Legendary Choices for Assassination Rogue
Here are some of the top legendary powers to go for:
- Zoldyck Insignia does well in all types of content.
- Mantle of the Master Assassin is a good alternative if you plan on playing multiple specs or simply want more burst damage.
For more information on other legendary powers and a more detailed explanation as to why these are the best legendary powers available to Assassination, check out our dedicated legendary page:
Basic Rotational Priority for Assassination Rogue
- Keep Rupture and Garrote applied to the main target at all times.
- Maintain Slice and Dice at all times.
- Use Vendetta on cooldown.
- Use your Covenant ability on cooldown.
- Activate Vanish on cooldown and reapply Garrote.
- Use Shiv on cooldown.
- Cast Envenom to dump Combo Points.
- Use Mutilate to generate Combo Points on 1 target. Use Fan of Knives to generate Combo Points on 4+ targets.
By following the link you will be able to find a more detailed version of this priority list for both single-target and AoE, as well as deeper explanation into some of the core concepts of Assassination gameplay. If you'd like to know more about how to pool energy properly or how different talents require a different opener, check out the Rotation section of this guide.
Tips and Tricks
- Refresh Rupture and Slice and Dice before activating Vendetta, so you do not have to cast these abilities while it is active.
- Always cast finishers at 4-5 Combo Points.
- Try to cast Envenom with 4-5 Combo Points atleast twice during each Shiv.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands release, added Covenant, Legendary and Conduit recommendations.
- 28 Oct. 2020: Updated stat priority.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- The Shadowlands User Metacritic Score Is... Problematic
- Doubleagent Is Back at It, Already Level 53
- Naxxramas and Changes to the Scourge Event in WoW Classic
- Naxxramas Movie Teaser by IKedit
- Collect 810 Soul Ash to Craft First Legendary Next Week
- Legendary Powers Catch-Up System in Shadowlands
- The Only Realm First Achievement of Shadowlands
- Glory of the Shadowlands Hero Has Already Been Completed