Subtlety Rogue DPS Easy Mode — Shadowlands 9.1
On this page, we explain how to easily play Subtlety Rogue in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.1, using the simplest rotation, talent tree, stat priority, gear setup, etc., without sacrificing performance.
This section is intended for players who are new to the game or class, have no intentions of raiding Mythic difficulty, or simply want a more straightforward way to play their specialization without being overwhelmed by the numerous priorities and active abilities that need to be taken into consideration for optimal play.
The Basics for Subtlety Rogue
Subtlety can be a very involved specialization, requiring knowledge and understanding of the specialization to produce good damage. It can be simplified into some key principles, which we will address here. In this section we will be focusing on a setup that minimizes the amount of buttons without sacrificing too much DPS.
If you are completely new to Subtlety and need more information regarding the spells, make sure to check out our spell summary page first to get a good graps of what each ability does.
Talent Choice for Subtlety Rogue
These choices are optimized for ease of use. Although some talents might offer marginally higher gains when played perfectly, these same talents often result in damage losses when utilized by many players. The talents recommended here aim to present the best setup that has very little punishment for unfamiliarity or mistakes.
- Level 15: Weaponmaster
- Level 25: Shadow Focus
- Level 30: Deeper Stratagem
- Level 35: Cheat Death
- Level 40: Prey on the Weak
- Level 45: Enveloping Shadows
- Level 50: Master of Shadows
If you are looking for the absolute best performing talents for Subtlety, you can find a more in-depth analysis on our full talents page below.
Stat Choice for Subtlety Rogue
Single-Target Stat Priority
The general single-target stat priority for a Subtlety Rogue is:
- Critical Strike;
Multi-Target Stat Priority
The general multi-target stat priority for a Subtlety Rogue is:
- Critical Strike;
To learn more about how stats interact in different scenarios and why in the stats page below.
Basic Priority List for Subtlety Rogue
- Cast Shadow Blades on cooldown.
- Maintain Rupture on your primary target.
- Maintain Slice and Dice.
- Cast Symbols of Death on cooldown. Aim to pair it with Shadow Dance every time. Go into Shadow Dance with low amount of Combo Points.
- Cast Eviscerate to spend Combo Points with 5+ when talented into Deeper Stratagem.
- Cast Shadowstrike to generate Combo Points if Shadow Dance is active. Otherwise, use Backstab (from behind the target if possible to gain 20% extra damage on it).
Make sure to have Instant Poison on at all times.
For the opener sequence and to see how the rotation changes with multiple targets, visit the rotation page.
Best Legendary for Subtlety Rogues
Finality is the best overall Legendary for Subtlety Rogues as it is good in all situations. To see more in-depth analysis of the Legendaries, make sure to check our dedicated Legendary page below:
Best Covenant and Soulbind for Subtlety Rogues
All of the Covenants are very close to each other and some excel slightly better than others in specific scenarios. For more in-depth analysis, check our dedicated Covenant page below:
- 28 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Page updated for Shadowlands and added recommended Legendary and Covenant.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- A Different Kind of Letter from Activision Blizzard Executive Fran Townsend
- J. Allen Brack's Internal Email to Blizzard Employees
- Domination Socket Helper Addon
- Sanctum of Domination Mythic Race: The Top 5
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 22nd
- Activision Blizzard Lawsuit Alleges Sexual Harrasment, Discrimination and More
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: July 21st
- Classic Torghast: 0 Score and Getting Stuck With Anima Power