Subtlety Rogue DPS Easy Mode — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1
On this page, we explain how to easily play Subtlety Rogue in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.1, using the simplest rotation, talent tree, stat priority, gear setup, etc., without sacrificing performance.
This section is intended for players who are new to the game or class, have no intentions of raiding Mythic difficulty, or simply want a more straightforward way to play their specialization without being overwhelmed by the numerous priorities and active abilities that need to be taken into consideration for optimal play.
2. The Basics for Subtlety Rogue
Subtlety can be a very involved specialization, requiring knowledge and instinct to produce good damage. It can be simplified and distilled into some key principles, however, which we will address here. In this section we will be focusing on a setup that minimizes the amount of buttons and reactivity necessary without unduly compromising overall damage output.
3. Talent Choice for Subtlety Rogue
These choices are optimized for ease of use. Although some talents might offer marginally higher gains when played perfectly, these same talents often result in damage losses when utilized by many players. The talents recommended here aim to present the best setup that has very little punishment for unfamiliarity or mistakes.
- Level 15: Weaponmaster
- Level 30: Shadow Focus
- Level 45: Deeper Stratagem
- Level 60: Cheat Death
- Level 75: Prey on the Weak
- Level 90: Enveloping Shadows
- Level 100: Master of Shadows
4. Stat Choice for Subtlety Rogue
4.1. Single-Target Stat Priority
The general single-target stat priority for a Subtlety Rogue is:
- Critical Strike;
4.2. Multi-Target Stat Priority
The general multi-target stat priority for a Subtlety Rogue is:
- Critical Strike;
5. Basic Rotation for Subtlety Rogue
- Cast Shadow Blades on cooldown.
- Maintain Nightblade on your primary target.
- Cast Symbols of Death in combination with Shadow Dance. When talented into Enveloping Shadows cast Shadow Dance twice every time Symbols of Death buff is up.
- Cast Vanish and Shadowstrike to extend the duration of your Find Weakness.
- Cast Eviscerate to spend Combo Points with 5+ when talented into Deeper Stratagem.
- Cast Shadowstrike to generate Combo Points if Shadow Dance is active. Otherwise, use Backstab (from behind the target if possible to gain 20% extra damage on it).
6. Best Azerite Traits for Subtlety Rogue
When obtaining Azerite gear, you should always look out for these traits:
- 14 Dec. 2018: Added The First Dance to traits to lookout for.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed for Patch 8.1 and no changes are necessary.
- 12 Sep. 2018: Added multi-target stat priority and updated the page.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- 18 Jul. 2018: Updated stat priority.
- WoW Esports in 2019
- PvP Season 1: Arena and RBG Title Cutoffs
- Tides of Vengeance Part II: Survival Guide
- Patch 8.1.5 Build 28938: Class Changes
- BfA PvP Season 2 Preview [Official]
- Tools of the Trade in Patch 8.1.5
- Four New Collectible Blizzard Books Coming This Fall
- Kul Tiran & Zandalari Druid Empowered Moonkin Form
- when to use blizzard/aoe as frost?
- Any Demon Hunter Discords out there?
- Feral Druid 8.1
- Warrior Leveling Guide
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Guardian Druid 8.1
- Need help with BoS
- Windwalker Monk PvP 8.1