Unholy Death Knight Essences — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2
On this page, we go over the new Essence system in Patch 8.2 of World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth, and we tell you which are the best essences to use as Unholy Death Knight, both for minor and major powers. Please refer to our Patch 8.2 Guide to Essences for more information about the Essence system and where Essences can be obtained from.
1. Azerite Essences for Unholy Death Knights
Introduced in Patch 8.2, Essences are unique items that drop from various forms of content. They are activated through your Heart of Azeroth, and they buff your character in various ways, depending on the Essences that are currently active.
Our Essence Guide has a full list of all the Essences, together with their descriptions and explanations on how they work.
What follows on this page will relate directly to how Essences affect this spec, since generic information is beyond the scope of this guide.
Disclaimer: Please note that at the moment, simulations and general theorycrafting around Essences is a work in progress, and as a result, most of the recommendations made here are subject to change.
2. Full Essence DPS Ranking and Descriptions for Unholy Death Knights
All the essence tooltips below will be linked at Rank 3.
2.1. Best Major Powers
2.2. Best Minor Powers
2.3. Top Tier Essences
2.3.1. Condensed Life-Force
- Major Power: Guardian of Azeroth will line up perfectly with Apocalypse and since Rank 3 gives you a fairly big haste buff — this is very beneficial. Overall, this essence is incredibly powerful and by Rank 3 this will become your go-to major essence.
- Minor Power: Condensed Life-Force offers you a nice phase of vulnerability against your target. However, there is no point in saving cooldowns for this, so just think of it as a nice bonus.
2.3.2. Essence of the Focusing Iris
- Major Power: Focused Azerite Beam is a very strong essence for single-target until you get Rank 3 The Crucible of Flame or Rank 3 Condensed Life-Force. On 2+ target encounter this is the strongest essence you will have.
- Minor Power: Focused Azerite Beam is a nice added benefit if you choose to run Focusing Iris as your major power in dungeons, there are much stronger essences to run as your minor power however.
2.3.3. The Crucible of Flame
- Major Power: Concentrated Flame is a powerful essence for single-target and has the extra flexibility of being a heal if needed. This is not an essence that you need to go out of your way to get, as you will just get it over time by leveling up your necklace.
- Minor Power: Ancient Flame is a fantastic minor power to run.
2.4. Middle Tier Essences
2.4.1. Blood of the Enemy
- Major Power: Blood of the Enemy is amazing in large AoE pulls. Just make sure that you use it on pull before you start your AoE.
- Minor Power: Blood-Soaked is great since it gives you passive Critical Strike, one of your best stats as Unholy. There is no need to line up your cooldowns around this passive.
2.4.2. Memory of Lucid Dreams
- Major Power: Memory of Lucid Dreams provides you with a lot more resources. This essence is strong but is not nearly as strong for DPS as the Top Tier Essences. However, this essence has a very powerful Minor Power.
- Minor Power: Lucid Dreams is one of the strongest Minor Powers since it refunds runes, givings you a lot more resources. At Rank 3 when you refund a rune, you will also gain Versatility for 8 seconds, which is a great added bonus.
2.4.3. The Unbound Force
- Major Power: The Unbound Force does a significant amount of damage when it critically strikes. You want to line this Major Power up with your Minor Power since it grants you a lot of Critical Strike.
- Minor Power: Reckless Force does not proc very often but if you are running the Major Power of this essence then you should track this so you can correctly line up your Major Power with the Critical Strike proc.
2.4.4. Worldvein Resonance
- Major Power: Worldvein Resonance is not nearly as strong as the other Major Powers, especially the Top Tier essences.
- Minor Power: Lifeblood is an incredibly strong Minor Power as long as other melee players are using this. Make sure when simming this essence that you set the number of players using this minor power to the correct amount.
2.5. Bottom Tier Essences
2.5.1. Conflict and Strife
- Major Power: Conflict has no current uses in PvE situations.
- Minor Power: Strife is not nearly as strong as other minor essences, such as Memory of Lucid Dreams or Lifeblood.
2.5.2. Purification Protocol
- Major Power: Purifying Blast has a very small chance of immediately annihilating any enemies. This Major Power has some utility: for instance when many mobs are dying on top of a boss, you will gain 10% each time a mob dies inside it.
- Minor Power: Purification Protocol does deal extra damage to Aberrations, but it still does not compare to some of the top tier minor powers.
2.5.3. Ripple in Space
- Major Power: Ripple in Space is a very difficult trait to use correctly, since as a melee player you will have to go out of range of the target to proc the effect.
- Minor Power: Reality Shift is the only thing that really makes the major power of this essence useful, the primary stat gain from this does not make it worth using though.
2.5.4. Vision of Perfection
- Major Power: Vision of Perfection does work with the trait Magus of the Dead, meaning that every time this essence's major power procs it will also proc that trait. Running 3 Magus of the Dead traits can make this essence viable, but it still is not as strong of the top tier essences.
- Minor Power: Strive for Perfection is simply an added bonus to when your major essence procs. It also reduces Apocalypse's cooldown meaning you may be able to cast Apocalypse more times than usual in a fight.
- 16 Jul. 2019: Added Bloodmallet sims and Essence rankings.
- 14 Jul. 2019: Added more information and a ranking system for the Essences.
- 24 Jun. 2019: Page added.
- Conflict and Strife Rank 2 Hotfix Now Live
- Patch 8.2 Hotfixes: July 16th
- The Eternal Palace Mythic Race Hub + Streams
- This Week in WoW: July 16th
- Gear Up Your Characters with Wrath Timewalking
- Patch 8.2 Hotfixes: July 15th
- Class Tuning Coming with Maintenance - July 16th
- New Goblin & Worgen Models Coming in Patch 8.2.5
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Essence Guide
- Destruction Warlock 8.2
- Arcane Mage PvP 8.1.5
- Priest Leveling Guide
- Frost Mage 8.2
- Frost Death Knight 8.2
- Protection Warrior 8.2