Unholy Death Knight Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Shadowlands 9.1
Legendary Powers are targetable, unique effects that you can imbue certain base items with through the Runecarving system. In Shadowlands, these enable you to customize your Unholy Death Knight, drastically improving your performance, and are arguably the most important aspect of your gear.
The purpose of this page is to help you pick the right legendary powers (and item slots for them) for your character, depending on the content you are interested in.
Introduction: Legendaries in Shadowlands
One of the features of Shadowlands is the ability to craft Legendaries through Runecarving. Runecarving becomes available to you as you progress through Torghast. You gain Legendary Powers through different gameplay sources, and once you obtain them you can craft your own Legendary. Each of these Legendaries will boost the power of your character in a specific way, however you can only wear 1 Legendary item at a time. This guide will go over the best Legendary effects to help you make the choice a lot easier.
New Legendaries in Patch 9.1 for Unholy Death Knight
Four new Legendaries arrived in Patch 9.1, one for each Covenant. None of these are competitive in any form of PVE content. We do not recommend crafting any of them.
Best Legendary Powers for Unholy Death Knight
|Raiding||Deadliest Coil||Back||Sire Denathrius (Castle Nathria)||Haste and Mastery|
|Mythic+||Frenzied Monstrosity||Legs||World Boss: Nurgash Muckformed||Critical Strike and Mastery|
|Torghast||Frenzied Monstrosity||Legs||Torghast (Layer 6+)||Critical Strike and Mastery|
|Generic Legendary||Frenzied Monstrosity||Legs||World Boss: Nurgash Muckformed||Critical Strike and Mastery|
Generally as an Unholy Death Knight, you will either run Deadliest Coil or Frenzied Monstrosity. No other Legendary really comes close to performing as well in the situations where you would choose any of these.
Deadliest Coil is your go-to single-target Legendary. It brings superiour single-target by both extending your Dark Transformation as well as lowering the cost of Death Coil. This means that all your cooldown reduction abilities also work better. Dark Transformation is more easily aligned with Unholy Blight, Apocalypse is also more easily aligned with Unholy Blight, and Army of the Dead comes off cooldown more quickly. Whenever there are situations which break this cooldown reduction utility, Deadliest Coil loses value. This can be because the fight is shorter, not allowing for a second Army. You also have instances of fights requiring you to hold your cooldowns, again dropping the cooldown reduction value.
Frenzied Monstrosity comes into play whenever there is cleave. It is your Mythic+ Legendary with its great single-target as well as good cleave. It can also replace Deadliest Coil in situations where you cannot leverage the value of Deadliest Coil. You will generally see people running this Legendary more frequently as the tier progresses. It can bring superiour overall throughput with slightly less priority damage. As players re-kill bosses, getting better ranks leads to the pickup of a slightly more pad-oriented Legendary.
- 17 Jul. 2021: Added more verbose explanations; updated Frenzied Monstrosity to have Critical Strike and Mastery missives.
- 29 Jun. 2021: Guide reviewed and updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Added a section with the BiS Legendary for each major form of content.
- 19 Jan. 2021: Guide reviewed and completely updated.
- 26 Nov. 2020: Fixed an issue with the legendary power/per week breakdown (impossible to get a legendary on the first week).
- 21 Nov. 2020: Page added.
- J. Allen Brack Game Maker's Notebook Interview From Just Before the Lawsuit
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: August 2nd
- Fly Without a Mount, Cast Spells, Even in Instances on BCC PTR!
- Sanctum of Domination Mythic and Heroic DPS Log Rankings, Week 4: A Look At Individual Bosses
- Teldrassil Animated Wallpaper Engine and Fan Art (Both During and Pre-Burning)
- Advanced Nightborne Customization (Fan Concept)
- The Most Popular DPS for Mythic+ in Shadowlands Season 2 (Week of July 27)
- Korthia Rift Treasures Suggested Map, Route and Tips