Unholy Death Knight Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Dragonflight 10.0.2
Legendary Powers are targetable, unique effects that you can imbue certain base items with through the Runecarving system. In Shadowlands, these enable you to customize your Unholy Death Knight, drastically improving your performance, and are arguably the most important aspect of your gear.
The purpose of this page is to help you pick the right legendary powers (and item slots for them) for your character, depending on the content you are interested in.
Introduction: Legendaries in Dragonflight Pre-Patch
One of the features of Dragonflight Pre-Patch is the ability to craft Legendaries through Runecarving. Runecarving becomes available to you as you progress through Torghast. You gain Legendary Powers through different gameplay sources, and once you obtain them you can craft your own Legendary. Each of these Legendaries will boost the power of your character in a specific way, however you can only wear 1 Legendary item at a time. This guide will go over the best Legendary effects to help you make the choice a lot easier.
Best Legendary Powers for Unholy Death Knight
|Raiding||Frenzied Monstrosity||Cloak||World Boss: Nurgash Muckformed||Haste and Mastery|
|Mythic+||Reanimated Shambler||Waist||Torghast||Critical Strike and Mastery|
|Torghast||Frenzied Monstrosity||Legs||Torghast (Layer 6+)||Haste and Mastery|
Best Raiding Legendary
When choosing your Legendary for Raiding, you generally have two options: either Deadliest Coil or Frenzied Monstrosity. Frenzied Monstrosity is generally the best option that works well in any situation. Deadliest Coil is a good option if you want to lean fully into the Death Coil spam. In the Dragonflight Pre-Patch, Death Coil only costs 30 Runic Power by default, being lowered to 20 with the legendary. This allows for an absurd amount of Death Coils to be used throughout a fight. Furthermore, they still count as 30 Runic Power cost for Summon Gargoyle buffing! It is a fun alternative that will also be powerful. Please note, you must deselect the Eternal Agony talent in the spec tree for the legendary to actually work!
We must also mention Death's Certainty. This Legendary is part of the Disease Build using Night Fae with Rampant Transference and Defile. Due to the very short effective cooldown of Defile, you can keep up your Death's Due Strength buff at max stacks indefinitely. This is 20% Strength, constantly. I would 100% recommend trying it out since it feels completely different to normal Unholy and is a ton of fun!
Best Mythic+ Legendary
For Mythic+, we pick either Frenzied Monstrosity or Reanimated Shambler. Frenzied Monstrosity brings solid single-target and AoE, making it the versatile choice which fits all scenarios. Reanimated Shambler synergises heavily with the Infected Claws and Bursting Sores build, helping to build wounds for that big burst window. The choice depends on dungeon, group, and personal preference since you do sacrifice some single-target with Shambler.
You can also choose to run Death's Certainty here as well with the Disease Build, providing a ton of damage from Defile, your DoTs, and Death Coil!
Covenant Legendaries for Unholy Death Knight
Due to the Unity Legendary power introduced in Patch 9.2, Unholy Death Knight has the option of using one Legendary from its current Covenant.
- Kyrian — Final Sentence — This is mainly an AoE Legendary. It does provide some value in single-target, 4% for 15 seconds, but this is overall really weak. It does well in AoE but the lack of single target makes it an overall mediocre Legendary.
- Necrolord — Abomination's Frenzy — One of the best Legendaries available to use. 20% damage increase every 2 minutes feeds well into our burst with Army of the Dead whenever we can combine these cooldowns. The extra duration is also nice, especially when you combine it with the Brutal Grasp Conduit. Abomination Limb really becomes a powerful cooldown! This Legendary is a large reason why we recommend you to run Necrolord for Raiding in Patch 9.2.
- Night Fae — Rampant Transference — This is a great Legendary for any AoE. The Strength buff stacks up to 20% very quickly, requiring only 1 Scourge Strike/ Clawing Shadows at 4 targets! This Legendary is a major reason why Night Fae is the recommended Mythic+ Covenant in 9.2.
- Venthyr — Insatiable Hunger — Mainly an AoE Segendary, this makes our Swarming Mist windows even more potent. Unfortunately, it only really shines in AoE, making it a mediocre Legendary overall.
- 20 Mar. 2023: Updated for Patch 10.0.7.
- 25 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
More Death Knight Guides
Guides from Other Classes
- Vicious War Snail Mount in Patch 10.1
- Item Level of Rewards from Mythic+ and the Great Vault in Dragonflight Season 2
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 Hotfixes: March 24th
- Dragonflight 10.0.7 Class Tuning: March 28th + Retribution Nerfs March 24th
- New Aberrus Unique Drops Added in Patch 10.1 Build 48661
- Aberrus the Shadowed Crucible Loading Screen in Patch 10.1
- New Potential Evoker Spells Added in Patch 10.1 Build 48661
- Dragonflight Patch 10.0.7 Hotfixes: March 23rd