Unholy Death Knight Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Shadowlands 9.0.2
Legendary Powers are targetable, unique effects that you can imbue certain base items with through the Runecarving system. In Shadowlands, these enable you to customize your Unholy Death Knight, drastically improving your performance, and are arguably the most important aspect of your gear.
The purpose of this page is to help you pick the right legendary powers (and item slots for them) for your character, depending on the content you are interested in.
Introduction: Legendaries in Shadowlands
One of the new parts of Shadowlands is that you will gain the ability to craft legendaries through Runecarving. Runecarving becomes available to you as you progress through Torghast. You gain legendary powers through different gameplay sources, and once you obtain them you can craft your own legendary. Each of these legendaries will boost the power of your character in a specific way, however you can only wear 1 legendary item at a time. This guide will go over each legendary effect to help you make the choice a lot easier.
Best Overall Legendary for Unholy Death Knight
Frenzied Monstrosity offers the second-best single-target, and the best AoE, making it the best overall legendary choice currently. We compare this to Deadliest Coil, which offers the best single target damage but no benefit to your AoE at all.
Best Raiding Legendaries for Unholy Death Knight
- Deadliest Coil has the highest single target gain, by about 3%, however it does not gain any benefit in AoE, making it a weak choice as an all-around legendary.
- Frenzied Monstrosity is the most balanced legendary currently, offering the second-highest single target gain and the highest AoE gain.
- Phearomones is a very competitive alternative to Frenzied Monstrosity, with less than a 1% difference, however you need to keep standing in your Death and Decay to gain full value, whereas Frenzied Monstrosity is much easier to play with.
- Reanimated Shambler places 4th in single-target, while also offering the 3rd best AoE damage out of all the legendaries. It is a very solid choice, although not as strong as Frenzied Monstrosity.
- Death's Certainty is one of the worst legendary effects, with the weakest single target output and nearly no benefit to your AoE damage.
Best Mythic+ and Torghast Legendaries for Unholy Death Knight
- Frenzied Monstrosity offers the best mix of both single-target and AoE by a large margin, making it the best choice currently for Mythic+ and Torghast.
- Phearomones is roughly on par with Frenzied Monstrosity, and is only slightly behind in single-target while also providing near the same AoE damage, making it a very solid choice. However, it loses value if you are not standing in Death and Decay.
- Reanimated Shambler is the only other legendary that is competitive for Mythic+ content. It is a fair bit behind the other 2 for single-target, but is very competitive for AoE.
Availability of Legendaries in Shadowlands
Because we are limited by the amount of Soul Ash we can obtain from Torghast, it is recommended you focus on the legendary that is most important to your goals early on.
Below is a quick break-down of when you can expect to upgrade your legendary, or acquire a second legendary, based on the Soul Ash income.
- Week 1 — No item
- Week 2 — One Rank 1 item
- Week 3 — One Rank 2 item OR Two Rank 1 items
- Week 4 — One Rank 3 item OR One Rank 2 item + One Rank 1 item
- Week 5 — One Rank 4 item OR One Rank 3 item + One Rank 2 item OR Two Rank 2 items + One Rank 1 item
- Week 6 — One Rank 4 item + One Rank 1 item OR Two Rank 3 items OR Three Rank 2 items
- 26 Nov. 2020: Fixed an issue with the legendary power/per week breakdown (impossible to get a legendary on the first week).
- 21 Nov. 2020: Page added.
- How to Loot Faster in World of Warcraft
- How to Fool Bots With Toys
- Patch 9.1 Will Be Released in Spring 2021
- Even More Fantastical Settings Coming in Shadowlands, Endgame Loot and More: Ion Hazzikostas PC Gamer Article
- Tarragrue Glitches Out and Does No Damage
- Patch 9.0.2 Hotfixes: January 14th
- The New Battle.net Is Almost Here, Going Live in NA
- Item Level 184 Trinket World Quest Now Up in Bastion on US Servers