Battle for Azeroth Level 120 Battle Guide (BfA 8.1)
Welcome to the Level 120 Battle Guide, which is intended to help you begin your Battle for Azeroth experience at maximum level that will empower your character's development into Kul Tiras and Zandalar!
NOTE: It is VERY important to not vendor any equipment you pick up. You will be deconstructing all of your gear for resources that will help you in the Warfronts to be fought! Deconstructing, or scrapping, your gear will be done using the Scrap-o-Matic 1000 if you are Alliance and the Shred-Master Mk1 if you are Horde. This works identical to how the Obliterum Forge worked in Legion. The scrapping feature can be used on all Battle for Azeroth equipment found, not just craftable equipment, so save everything you acquire for the scrapper!
2. A Whole Wide World — World Quests
Your first mission, should you choose to accept it, will be to begin your conquest over all of the World Quests available to you. Reputation is a major driver early in the expansion as many valuable rewards, profession patterns, and quests are only available with progressed reputations, particularly the 7th Legion for Alliance and The Honorbound for the Horde. At Friendly reputation, which you should be at if you completed the zone quests, the reputation quartermasters will offer a contract item that gives a quest that rewards reputation. Every day, you should complete the daily available emissary requirements to gain large amounts of reputation.
Note: you should acquire the Contract ( Contract: Champions of Azeroth), which other players with the Inscription profession can create, that provides a buff granting 10 Champions of Azeroth reputation for each World Quest completed. This buff is permanent so long as you do not replace it with another contract for another faction. The bonus effect persists through death. This is very important to your character's progression as gains in this reputation increase the item level of your Heart of Azeroth by 15 levels for reaching Friendly, Honored, and Revered.
3. Daily Deeds — Daily Reset Objectives
Each day, an emissary quest will be available that will require you to complete World Quests in order to obtain a treasure box with loot and a large amount of reputation. You can have up to three of these emissaries active at any time before you miss out on one, so try to be sure to do these each day or at least once every three days. It is incredibly important that players ensure they always prioritize the Champions of Azeroth emissary, as the reputation is directly linked to your power level, via the Heart of Azeroth. That said, all of the emissaries are incredibly important to do as they reward 1,500 reputation points for the faction represented in the emissary quests. This 1,500 reputation is by far the most time efficient method of grinding reputation as long as the emissary quests are up.
After you complete your emissary caches, start prioritizing World Quests that give you the largest power gain if you cannot do all of the World Quests. Doing all of the World Quests will be the fastest way to level your reputation with all of the factions. Doing World Quests in Kul Tiras as Horde and Zandalar as Alliance will reward the very important 7th Legion and Honorbound reputations, which unlock new content as your reputation levels increase. This is important for unlocking an extra Mythic level dungeon for each faction, too! In summary for World Quests, do them all.
If you cannot do all World Quests, prioritize as follows:
- World Quests that give gear upgrades first;
- World Quests for emissary cache completion;
- and everything else after.
Remember that revered reputation for each faction allows for purchase of a 335 piece of gear while exalted allows for the purchase of a piece of 350 gear!
Each day, you should progress your mission table champions by completing missions. This is a lucrative way to farm bonus reputation tokens and other types of loot. Each of the previous expansion's mission tables have been lucrative ways to farm gold, as well. By continuing to progress your mission table, you open up the potential to earn high amounts of gold later in the expansion. Leveling alts to progress on his or her mission table is not a bad decision when all of your other daily and weekly objectives are completed on your main character. Once you become Honored with your faction's war effort faction, you can purchase Scouting Reports. Scouting Reports unlock special missions at your mission table that can be completed to unlock more flight paths and outposts in Kul Tiras for the Horde and Zandalar for the Alliance. This will lower travel times and provide closer proximity flight points to World Quests that will speed up your daily adventures! More Scouting Reports are available at Revered, so keep pushing your reputation and keep your champions going strong!
4. Weekly Worklist — Weekly Reset Objectives
Most of your activities to do are in the weekly reset objective category.
- You will want to do the highest Mythic+ keystone you can do. Aspire to do a +10 every week for maximum loot in your weekly cache.
- Do Expedition Quests. This will reward 2,500 Azerite power for your Heart of Azeroth and progress your character's ability to equip more traits of the Azerite gear. This will also grant you 1,500 reputation for the 7th Legion and The Honorbound reputations which are important to unlock quests for your War Campaign efforts! More Island Expedition information can be found in our Island Expedition guide found here: Island Expeditions Guide.
- Kill the weekly world boss. World bosses will become available on fourth week of the expansion while your faction controls the Warfront territory. There will also be a world boss that drops 355 item level gear somewhere in Zandalar or Kul Tiras.
- Clear as much of the Battle of Dazar'alor raid content as you are capable!
- Clear as much of the Crucible of Storms raid content as you are capable!
- Complete all of the WANTED! quests in Kul Tiras for Horde and Zandalar for Alliance. These quests reward 250 reputation for the 7th Legion and Honorbound and are very good for boosting reputation levels. There are WANTED! quests at the location where you land when you use your faction ship to travel to the opposite faction's island.
4.1. Item Levels in Patch 8.1
Patch 8.1 changes the item levels of gear acquired from almost all sources.
4.1.1. Dungeon Gear Item Levels
These changes will take effect on January 22, 2019 when the Battle for Dazar'alor becomes available (January 23 for EU).
- Normal Dungeons are now item level 340, up from 310.
- Heroic Dungeons are now item level 355, up from 325.
- Mythic Dungeons are now item level 370, up from 340.
4.1.2. PvP Gear Item Levels
|Tier||Individual Match||Weekly Cache|
|Unranked 0-1399||Item Level 370||Item Level 385|
|Combatant 1400-1599||Item Level 380||Item Level 395|
|Challenger 1600-1799||Item Level 390||Item Level 400|
|Rival 1800-2099||Item Level 395||Item Level 405|
|Duelist 2100-2399||Item Level 400||Item Level 410|
|Gladiator 2400+||Item Level 405||Item Level 415|
This list shows the item level gear acquired by completing Mythic+ Dungeons as well as the item level of gear that will be awarded by your weekly chest made available each weekly reset. As of Patch 8.1, Azerite loot will no longer drop from your weekly chest.
|Keystone Completed||Dungeon Loot||Weekly Chest Loot|
|Mythic +0||Item Level 370||None|
|Mythic +2 or +3||Item Level 375||Item Level 380|
|Mythic +4||Item Level 380||Item Level 390|
|Mythic +5||Item Level 385||Item Level 390|
|Mythic +6||Item Level 385||Item Level 395|
|Mythic +7||Item Level 390||Item Level 400|
|Mythic +8||Item Level 395||Item Level 400|
|Mythic +9||Item Level 395||Item Level 405|
|Mythic +10||Item Level 400||Item Level 410|
4.1.3. Battle of Dazar'alor Raid
The new raid, Battle for Dazar'alor, which releases January 22 in the US and January 23 in EU, in Patch 8.1 will drop gear with the following item levels.
- LFR — 370
- Normal — 385
- Heroic — 400
- Mythic — 415
4.2. Azerite Gear & Titan Residuum
Because Azerite gear no longer drops from the weekly M+ cache, acquiring Azerite gear will be different with a new acquisition method. Instead of acquiring the gear directly from your weekly chest, your weekly chest will have a new currency inside called Titan Residuum that can be exchanged for Azerite gear tokens. The acquisition rate of this currency can be done by scrapping any Azerite gear acquired in Patch 8.1 no matter if the gear comes from Emissary caches, World Quests, Warfronts, or anywhere else - when scrapped, they will award the Titan Residuum currency. This currency can be exchanged for various things. The 15, 50, 165, and 675 Titan Residuum items are randomly generated Azerite gear created by the token, while the 3,250 Titan Residuum pieces are the exact, specific piece you might be looking for.
- Item Level 355 Helm, Shoulder, or Chest token — 15 Titan Residuum
- Item Level 370 Helm, Shoulder, or Chest token — 50 Titan Residuum
- Item Level 385 Helm, Shoulder, or Chest token — 165 Titan Residuum
With the Battle of Dazar'alor, this vendor has been upgraded to the following item levels with Titan Residuum costs:
- Item Level 400 Helm, Shoulder, or Chest token — 675 Titan Residuum
- Item Level 415 Helm, Shoulder, or Chest token — 1,725 Titan Residuum
- Item Level 415 Specific Item — 7,150 Titan Residuum
When scrapping Patch 8.1 Azerite gear for Titan Residuum, the return is based on item level as follows:
- Item Level 355 — 3 Titan Residuum
- Item Level 370 — 12 Titan Residuum
- Item Level 385 — 35 Titan Residuum
- Item Level 400 — 115 Titan Residuum
- Item Level 415 — 365 Titan Residuum
The vendor for this is Thaumaturge Vashreen who can be found beside the reforge vendor in your capital city.
You should always try to complete the highest Mythic+ dungeon you can each week. There is also a bonus if you clear Mythic +11 or higher in that each level above 10 grants a 40% chance of acquiring an additional piece of loot. Therefore, a Mythic +11 has a 40% chance of an additional piece of gear, a Mythic +12 has an 80% chance of an additional piece of gear, and a Mythic +13 has a guaranteed chance of awarding an extra piece of gear with a 20% chance of giving yet another piece of gear.
5. Warfronts & Incursions
Warfront activity will be doubled in Patch 8.1 with the addition of the Battle for Darkshore Warfront. Warfront cycles are not static, so they cycle between contribution phase and patrol phases on an irregular schedule that is usually between six and ten days. Completing both of the available warfront quests while they are up is a great way to earn item level 370 gear and complete your Warfront transmogrification sets! Completing two sets of contributions will be a great boost to your AP earning potential while they are up. More Warfront information can be found in our Warfront guide found here: Warfront Guide.
Incursions are new in Patch 8.1 and are structured very similar to what the Legion invasions were in the Legion expansion. These are clustered World Quests that are available once you unlock World Quests on an account-wide basis. This means that they can also be accessed by characters less than Level 120 which provides a new and relatively rewarding alternative leveling opportunity. Incursions award an item level 370 weapon or Azerite armor piece upon completing four incursion World Quests and the final mini-scenario to complete the incursion experience, much like the process was in Legion. Be sure to do these every time they are available!
Patch 8.1 also added some alternate character quality of life improvement items called the 7th Legion Scouting Map and the Honorbound Scouting Map which can be purchased by any character who has completed the Battle for Azeroth Pathfinder, Part One achievement. These items will unlock all of the flight paths that your account has previously unlocked on other characters which will greatly speed up travel time for fresh Level 120 alternate characters!
Thank you for reading this Level 120 Battle Guide! As new content is released in the Battle for Azeroth expansion, this guide will be updated to always recommend the best time productive content for you to empower your character and conquer Kul Tiras and Zandalar!
- 27 Feb. 2019: Updated information and made corrections.
- 07 Dec. 2018: Updated Titan Residuum costs based on PTR changes as of 12/6/2018.
- 04 Dec. 2018: Added Warfront and Incursion information, item level information, and updated links to Patch 8.1 raids.
- 15 Oct. 2018: Added Mythic + Dungeon item level table and other relevant information.
- 16 Sep. 2018: Added Azerite amount for Island Expedition quest completion and added world boss that drops 355 item level loot into weekly list of things to do.
- 26 Aug. 2018: Added WANTED! Quest information, text about higher emphasis on emissary caches, and Scouting Reports.
- 16 Aug. 2018: Fixed text regarding the reputation contracts.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Guide added.
- Hide All Slots Except Pants Option Coming in Patch 8.2
- Loot Trading in Classic WoW
- Draught of Ten Lands Exploit Ban Wave: March 22nd
- Patch 8.1.5 Hotfixes: March 21st
- Live Developer Q&A Roundup: March 21st
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #38
- Tiger's Peak Arena Temporarily Disabled
- Crucible of Storms Item Tuning
- Druid Leveling Guide
- Beast Mastery Hunter 8.1
- Arms Warrior PvP 8.1
- Contact player-different server
- looking for a late night raiding guild
- So long and thanks for all the fish.....
- Brawler's Guild - Grandpa Grumplefoot
- Restoration Druid 8.1