Blood Death Knight Tank Azerite Traits/Powers and Armor in Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.0.1
Table of Contents
- +Easy Mode
- +Spell Summary
- +Builds and Talents
- 1. Talent Choices for Blood Death Knight
- 2. Tier 1 (Level 56) Talents for Blood Death Knights
- 3. Tier 2 (Level 57) Talents for Blood Death Knights
- 4. Tier 3 (Level 58) Talents for Blood Death Knights
- 5. Tier 4 (Level 60) Talents for Blood Death Knights
- 6. Tier 5 (Level 75) Talents for Blood Death Knights
- 7. Tier 6 (Level 90) Talents for Blood Death Knights
- 8. Tier 7 (Level 100) Talents for Blood Death Knights
- 9. PvP Talents (War Mode)
- 10. Changelog
- ×Azerite Traits and Armor
- 1. Best Azerite Traits for Blood Death Knight
- 2. Azerite Trait Rotation Changes for Blood Death Knight
- 3. Azerite Gear for Blood Death Knight
- 4. Find Azerite Armor By Trait/Power
- 5. Changelog
- +Rotation, Cooldowns, and Abilities
- 1. Rotation for Blood Death Knights
- 2. Taunting
- 3. Survival Cooldowns for Blood Death Knights
- 4. Optional Read: Mastering Your Blood Death Knight
- 5. Changelog
- +Mythic+ Tips
- 1. Blood Death Knight in Mythic+
- 2. Blood Death Knight Mythic+ Rotation
- 3. Blood Death Knight Utility
- 4. Blood Death Knight Mythic+ Talents
- 5. Blood Death Knight Dungeon Tips
- 5.1. Atal'Dazar
- 5.2. Freehold
- 5.3. King's Rest
- 5.4. Shrine of the Storm
- 5.5. Siege of Boralus
- 5.6. Temple of Sethraliss
- 5.7. The MOTHERLODE
- 5.8. The Underrot
- 5.9. Tol Dagor
- 5.10. Waycrest Manor
- 6. Changelog
- +Common and Worst Mistakes
- +Frequently Asked Questions
- +Boss by Boss Strategies
- +Stat Priority
- +Gems, Enchants, and Consumables
- +Macros and Addons
- 1. Macros
- 2. Addons
- 2.1. Generic Addons for Death Knights
- 2.2. Specific Addons for Blood Death Knights
- 3. Changelog
- +Gear and Best in Slot
- 1. Disclaimer: Simulations for Support Roles
- 2. Blood Death Knight Talent Row Simulations
- 3. Changelog
Choose the best Azerite gear for your Blood Death Knight and understand more about Azerite traits in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth — Patch 8.0.1. Azerite gear and the traits it grants are enabled by the Heart of Azeroth. Read our Heart of Azeroth guide to find out more.
About Our Author
This guide has been reviewed and approved by Volstatsz who raids in Eternal Kingdom. He is a Blood Death Knight theorycrafter and moderator for the Acherus Death Knight community. You can follow him on Twitter.
1. Best Azerite Traits for Blood Death Knight
Given the significant defensive benefits many Azerite traits provide, as a Blood Death Knight you will generally want to prioritize defensive benefits over offensive traits when selecting Azerite gear and traits. As you acquire more gear, it is recommended you build gear sets for both damage and mitigation. Below we will highlight some of the most valuable traits for Blood Death Knights.
1.1. Outer Ring Traits for Blood Death Knights
- Bones of the Damned has a respectable, always-on armor buff, and gives a small (approximately 18%) chance to apply a fourth stack of Bone Shield with each Marrowrend. You should aim to keep one rank of this trait in your gear. Note that the chance to receive additional stacks of Bone Shield does not scale with item level or additional ranks of this trait.
- Archive of the Titans will provide a moderate amount of Strength once fully stacked, which takes 90 seconds of combat. More importantly, it unlocks Reorigination Array while inside the Uldir raid. One rank of this trait should be on your gear for absolutely any encounter in Uldir.
- Laser Matrix will also unlock Reorigination Array, and deals significant damage. Defensively, it has minimal value. Use one piece of Azerite Gear with this trait in Uldir if you cannot equip an item with Archive of the Titans.
- Blood Rite is a strong option, especially in Mythic+, where the refresh effect can proc regularly.
- Secrets of the Deep provides a significant increase to Strength on proc. This trait may require you to reposition regularly to pick up orbs; depending on the encounter or your strategy you may be forced to waste orbs to keep the boss stationary. Note the two variants of orb stack with each other.
- Meticulous Scheming will provide a good increase to throughput as well.
- Filthy Transfusion is a strong choice for a DPS-focused build, and has the bonus of a small leech effect as well.
- Thunderous Blast is our strongest option for pure damage, but has no defensive component at all.
- Rezan's Fury is another very strong pure-DPS trait.
1.2. Middle Ring Traits for Blood Death Knights
- Crystalline Carapace can be relied on to be active any time you are actively tanking in a boss encounter, and has both a solid mitigation value and a respectable damage component.
- Lifespeed is a solid increase to our best secondary stat and a good amount of Avoidance.
- Winds of War is respectable in single-target encounters, and is easily the strongest defensive trait on this Ring in Mythic+ and multi-target raid encounters. Unfortunately, there are very few pieces of Azerite Gear with this trait that also have good options for the Outer and Inner Rings.
- Ablative Shielding can be very useful while progressing on challenging content, or during an encounter where an ability will drop you below 40% health and you will remain actively tanking afterwards.
- Heed My Call is the strongest DPS option on this Ring, particularly on multi-target encounters. As with other DPS traits, this comes at the cost of a moderate amount of survivability.
- Gutripper is another strong pure-DPS trait in single-target encounters.
1.3. Inner Ring Powers for Blood Death Knights
- Gemhide is, by a commanding margin, the strongest trait available to us on any Ring. Aim to have this on all three pieces of gear, if possible.
- Bulwark of the Masses is a decent option for Mythic+.
- Runic Barrier can be situationally valuable to maintain one rank of for the extended duration on Anti-Magic Shell. Unless an encounter would benefit from the extended duration, avoid this trait.
- March of the Damned can be situationally useful for encounters that require more movement than you can otherwise provide, but outside of that scenario you should avoid this trait.
2. Azerite Trait Rotation Changes for Blood Death Knight
The only Azerite Trait that alters the Blood rotation is Bones of the Damned. If you are wearing any gear with this trait, you will want to wait until you have 6 or fewer stacks of Bone Shield to refresh it with Marrowrend, so as to not waste the possible bonus stack provided by the trait.
3. Azerite Gear for Blood Death Knight
These items are good options to pursue while preparing for the release of Uldir.
- Desert Guardian's Breastplate
- Bone-Fetished Chestplate
- Shoalbreach Breastplate
- Dunecrawler Chestplate
4. Find Azerite Armor By Trait/Power
In the table below, you can see all of the Azerite gear available to your Blood Death Knight. By using the + button located next to each item, you can expand the list of Azerite powers that this item possesses (to collapse the list, simply click the - button).
If you want to filter items according to the powers that they offer, you can use the filters below.