Blood Death Knight Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Shadowlands 9.1
Legendary Powers are targetable, unique effects that you can imbue certain base items with through the Runecarving system. In Shadowlands, these enable you to customize your Blood Death Knight, drastically improving your performance, and are arguably the most important aspect of your gear.
The purpose of this page is to help you pick the right legendary powers (and item slots for them) for your character, depending on the content you are interested in.
Introduction: Legendaries in Shadowlands
As part of your progression through Shadowlands you will gain the ability to craft Legendaries through Runecarving. Runecarving becomes available to you as you progress through Torghast. The Legendary Powers are obtained via various gameplay sources and once obtained you can craft your own specific, targeted Legendary! Each of these Legendaries will boost the power of your character in a specific way, however you can only wear 1 Legendary item at a time. This guide will detail the Legendary Powers available and which are the best ones to use in any given situation.
Best Legendaries for Blood Death Knight
In the table below, the recommended slot for each item is bolded.
|Raiding||Superstrain||Neck or Chest||Stone Legion Generals (Castle Nathria)||Haste and Versatility|
|Mythic+||Crimson Rune Weapon||Hands, Waist, or Shoulders||Halls of Atonement||Haste and Versatility|
|Torghast||Stable Phantasma Lure||Neck, Wrist, or Back||Torghast (Layer 6+)||Haste and Versatility|
|Generic Legendary||Superstrain||Neck or Chest||Stone Legion Generals (Castle Nathria)||Haste and Versatility|
Best Overall Legendary for Blood Death Knight
The aim with the new Runecarving system is that you can target specific Legendaries so you are not in a situation where you have to make the best of a bad situation. However, should you want a Legendary that works for all content types but is not strictly the best for all content types, we would recommend Superstrain. Whilst it may appear as a strictly DPS option, it has defensive benefits via Runic Power generation from Frost Fever.
Best Raiding Legendaries for Blood Death Knight
If raiding is your main focus, Superstrain will be your choice. This Legendary will provide you with a DPS boost, but also provide you with Runic Power via Frost Fever, which will facilitate more casts of Death Strike.
An alternative competitive option for Raiding is Crimson Rune Weapon. This Legendary is optimal in fights when you are constantly losing charges of Bone Shield — you are always tanking something — and requires precise and optimal knowledge of the rotation in order to be able to incorporate the large number of modifications to it that this Legendary offers. The gain is obvious: sub-minute Dancing Rune Weapon cooldown, which is amazing both offensively and, for the fights where incoming damage can be parried, defensively.
Should you find yourself in a situation where you do not require the defensive benefit from a Legendary, we would recommend simming your character to find out what your highest DPS option is.
Best Mythic+ Legendaries for Blood Death Knight
For Mythic+, Crimson Rune Weapon is the de-facto preferred option thanks to the versatility of play it provides. As you will be tanking a majority of the time, this Legendary allows you to lower the cooldown of Dancing Rune Weapon to around 1-minute, and reap a ton of benefits on top of it. The main benefit, however, is that you will have Dancing Rune Weapon going into virtually every pull of any key, instead of every other pull.
Other competitive options for Mythic+ include:
- Superstrain can be used in Mythic+ and technically is better than Crimson Rune Weapon when doing dungeons with very frequent large pulls, Halls of Atonement being the best example. As its damage is not tied to a cooldown and not capped to a number of targets, it can certainly shine. The Runic Power coming from Frost Fever is a minor consolation prize defensively, however, and you lose the ability to have Dancing Rune Weapon for every pull.
Best Torghast Legendaries for Blood Death Knight
Should you not need the additional Phantasma, then we would recommend a more generic Legendary choice or the Mythic+ choice.
New Legendaries in Patch 9.1 for Blood Death Knight
In Patch 9.1 every class will get one new Legendary for each Covenant. In the case of Blood Death Knight none are overwhelmingly powerful enough that you would want to replace any of the above options with them.
- Venthyr Insatiable Hunger — This Legendary will make Swarming Mist deal a burst of damage when Swarming Mist ends which is based on the amount of Runic Power spent whilst Swarming Mist was active. In reality this means that to get the benefit from this Legendary you will need to play in a somewhat reckless manner by dumping all your Runic Power in order to gain a momentary burst of damage. There can be cases where you would want to take advantage of this, such as Sludgefist's Pillars in Castle Nathria, however those are few and far between to make this desirable immediately and more of an item you will craft when the situation presents itself.
- Necrolord Abomination's Frenzy — This Legendary will increase the duration of Abomination Limb, make the target(s) pulled in by Abomination Limb take 10% increased damage from you for 12 seconds, and finally, increase the total amount of Bone Shield charges you will gain each cast. You were already gaining more Bone Shield charges than you needed, so adding more to this seems somewhat redundant. The other benefits of it can have very niche applications, such as RBGs, however it is one to craft when required rather than as a must-have.
- Kyrian Final Sentence — This Legendary will refund a Rune each time Shackle the Unworthy spreads to a new target and give you a stacking 2% damage buff for 10 seconds, stacking to a maximum of 10%. This Legendary provides you with absolutely no benefit on single-target encounters, very little benefit on 2/3 target, and can be beneficial on 4+ targets; however, it would need to be a near-constant stream of 4+ targets which is unlikely even in Mythic+!
- Night Fae Rampant Transference — This Legendary will increase the Strength gained from Death's Due (not the damage reduction) and increase your Runic Power generation by 20% whilst you are inside Death's Due. The Runic Power gain is nice, but compared to other Legendary options competing with your one Legendary slot it falls short of being great.
- 29 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Updated Legendaries; removed all mentions of Bryndaor as Crimson Rune Weapon is now better than it in every way.
- 29 Nov. 2020: Changed Raiding Legendary recommendation to Superstrain.
- 20 Nov. 2020: Page added.
- J. Allen Brack Game Maker's Notebook Interview From Just Before the Lawsuit
- Patch 9.1 Hotfixes: August 2nd
- Fly Without a Mount, Cast Spells, Even in Instances on BCC PTR!
- Sanctum of Domination Mythic and Heroic DPS Log Rankings, Week 4: A Look At Individual Bosses
- Teldrassil Animated Wallpaper Engine and Fan Art (Both During and Pre-Burning)
- Advanced Nightborne Customization (Fan Concept)
- The Most Popular DPS for Mythic+ in Shadowlands Season 2 (Week of July 27)
- Korthia Rift Treasures Suggested Map, Route and Tips