Blood Death Knight Best Legendaries in Shadowlands — Shadowlands 9.0.5
Legendary Powers are targetable, unique effects that you can imbue certain base items with through the Runecarving system. In Shadowlands, these enable you to customize your Blood Death Knight, drastically improving your performance, and are arguably the most important aspect of your gear.
The purpose of this page is to help you pick the right legendary powers (and item slots for them) for your character, depending on the content you are interested in.
Introduction: Legendaries in Shadowlands
As part of your progression through Shadowlands you will gain the ability to craft Legendaries through Runecarving. Runecarving becomes available to you as you progress through Torghast. The Legendary Powers are obtained via various gameplay sources and once obtained you can craft your own specific, targeted Legendary! Each of these Legendaries will boost the power of your character in a specific way, however you can only wear 1 Legendary item at a time. This guide will detail the Legendary Powers available and which are the best ones to use in any given situation.
Best Legendaries for Blood Death Knight
In the table below, the recommended slot for each item is bolded.
|Raiding||Superstrain||Neck or Chest||Stone Legion Generals (Castle Nathria)||Haste and Versatility|
|Mythic+||Crimson Rune Weapon||Hands or Shoulders||Halls of Atonement||Haste and Versatility|
|Torghast||Stable Phantasma Lure||Neck, Wrist or Back||Torghast (Layer 6+)||Haste and Versatility|
|Generic Legendary||Superstrain||Neck or Chest||Stone Legion Generals (Castle Nathria)||Haste and Versatility|
Best Overall Legendary for Blood Death Knight
The aim with the new Runecarving system is that you can target specific Legendaries so you are not in a situation where you have to make the best of a bad situation. However, should you want a Legendary that works for all content types but is not strictly the best for all content types, we would recommend Superstrain. Whilst it may appear as a strictly DPS option, it has defensive benefits via Runic Power generation from Frost Fever.
Best Raiding Legendaries for Blood Death Knight
If raiding is your main focus, Superstrain will be your choice. This Legendary will provide you with a DPS boost, but also provide you with Runic Power via Frost Fever, which will facilitate more casts of Death Strike.
An alternative competitive option for Raiding is Crimson Rune Weapon. This Legendary is optimal in fights when you are constantly losing charges of Bone Shield — you are always tanking something — and requires precise and optimal knowledge of the rotation in order to be able to incorporate the large number of modifications to it that this Legendary offers. The gain is obvious: sub-minute Dancing Rune Weapon cooldown, which is amazing both offensively and, for the fights where incoming damage can be parried, defensively.
Should you find yourself in a situation where you do not require the defensive benefit from a Legendary, we would recommend simming your character to find out what your highest DPS option is.
Best Mythic+ Legendaries for Blood Death Knight
For Mythic+, Crimson Rune Weapon is the de facto preferred option thanks to the versatility of play it provides. As you will be tanking a majority of the time, this Legendary allows you to lower the cooldown of Dancing Rune Weapon to around 1-minute, and reap a ton of benefits on top of it. The main benefit, however, is that you will have Dancing Rune Weapon going into virtually every pull of any key, instead of every other pull.
Other competitive options for Mythic+ include:
- Superstrain can be used in Mythic+ and technically is better than Crimson Rune Weapon when doing dungeons with very frequent large pulls, Halls of Atonement being the best example. As its damage is not tied to a cooldown and not capped to a number of targets, it can certainly shine. The Runic Power coming from Frost Fever is a minor consolation prize defensively, however, and you lose the ability to have Dancing Rune Weapon for every pull.
Best Torghast Legendaries for Blood Death Knight
Should you not need the additional Phantasma, then we would recommend a more generic Legendary choice or the Mythic+ choice.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Updated Legendaries; removed all mentions of Bryndaor as Crimson Rune Weapon is now better than it in every way.
- 29 Nov. 2020: Changed Raiding Legendary recommendation to Superstrain.
- 20 Nov. 2020: Page added.
- Castle Nathria 9.0.5 DPS Log Rankings and Analysis, Week 5: Boss Damage Only Rankings Added
- Player Loots One of the Rarest Item in WoW
- A Different Kind of AFK Story
- WoW Patch Timeline from Vanilla to Shadowlands Patch 9.1
- Potentially Infinite Breath of Sindragosa Bug
- Elwynn Forest Without the Trees
- Covenants Per Spec in Castle Nathria and Mythic+ for Top Players
- Animated Ulna World Quest Up on US Servers!