Demonology Warlock Essences — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5
On this page, we go over the new Essence system in Patch 8.2 of World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth, and we tell you which are the best essences to use as Demonology Warlock, both for minor and major powers. Please refer to our Patch 8.2 Guide to Essences for more information about the Essence system and where Essences can be obtained from.
Azerite Essences for Demonology Warlocks
Introduced in Patch 8.2, Essences are unique items that drop from various forms of content. They are activated through your Heart of Azeroth, and they buff your character in various ways, depending on the Essences that are currently active.
Our Essence Guide has a full list of all the Essences, together with their descriptions and explanations on how they work.
What follows on this page will relate directly to how Essences affect this spec, since generic information is beyond the scope of this guide.
Disclaimer: Please note that at the moment, simulations and general theorycrafting around Essences is a work in progress, and as a result, most of the recommendations made here are subject to change.
Choosing Essences as an Demonology Warlock
Each Essence has 4 different ranks. While the last rank is purely cosmetic, previous ones can have a noticeable increase in power, thus determining if a certain Essence at a higher rank is your best available option at a given time.
Essences powers scale with Heart of Azeroth item level.
Simulations through Raidbots or done locally can help you decide your best trait, but some degree of critical thinking is required beyond just picking the highest ranking Essence.
Worldvein Resonance is a well-rounded option for both single- and multi-target situations. With multiple users you can achieve 100% uptime on 4 stacks and cover any possible movement requirement. It may not be a good option for open world activities since you tend to travel a lot.
For AoE scenarios or in Mythic+, Essence of the Focusing Iris offers higher damage per activation, however maintaining stacks in a multi-target situations can be difficult due to a relative short-duration buff. Consider running Purification Protocol if you do not feel comfortable with the Essence of the Focusing Iris's minor power or you think you can leverage the 10% damage increase for each dead targets during Purification Protocol's major power activation.
See the simulation rankings at the end of the page, for a complete breakdown by slot (major/minor). In the next section, we will go in more details as to why some essences are better than others.
Essence rankings for Demonology Warlock
Vision of Perfection
While being prone to feast-or-famine situations, Vision of Perfection is your best option for a major slot, and can lead to extremely satisfying moments whenever you can chain multiple tyrants, resulting in a high spike of damage.
The minor power, Strive for Perfection is harder to evaluate: while it offers reduced cooldown on your Tyrant if you cant gain additional casts it becomes a wasted slot.
The second Essence competing for the top spot once you unlock Rank 3, Guardian of Azeroth is another 3 minutes cooldown that lines up every 2 Tyrants boosting its output with passive 10% haste and 5% damage increase on target
The minor power, Condensed Life-Force, is nothing to scoff at, but most of the value comes from its Rank 3 damage debuff on target which is guaranteed to be applied by the Guardian.
Essence of the Focusing Iris
Focused Azerite Beam is your go-to choice whenever there are multiple targets you can take advantage of. 1.5 minutes cooldown that does not disrupt or overlap with Demonology existing flow, while giving access to a noticeable AOE burst.
Focused Energy is a powerful complementary power that gives you valuable haste, often chosen as minor. At Rank 2, it is our best option.
while Memory of Lucid Dreams has a situational value, mostly focused around doubling shard reset mechanics from Soul Conduit and Demonic Meteor, Lucid Dreams is a fantastic option for a minor slot, consistently generating an handful of shards each minute on average.
Strife Rank 3
Strife is a top pick tied with Lucid Dreams for the best spot in those situations where you cannot effectively make use of Lifeblood. The amount of Versatility provided is often overlooked but is actually meaningful. Recommended for open world content and whenever you cannot afford to stand still for prolonged periods of time.
Lifeblood Rank 3
Please notice that we did not mention the whole Essence, but the minor alone. Worldvein Resonance's effect forces 3 Lifeblood Shards to spawn, but by taking the major you are missing out much more impactful Essences.
The minor, however, lets you retain all the benefits without sacrificing a major slot. Consider running this minor as first choice whenever you are doing group content with at least 3 more wearers and there is relatively low movement involved so you can have high uptime.
Rank 3 increases the radius from 8 yards to 12 yards, making the minor much more usable in actual encounters.
Essence notes for Demonology Warlock
- Blood of the Enemy's major power ( Blood of the Enemy) requires you to be in melee range in order to benefit from the increased critical strike chance on targets. Its minor power ( Blood-Soaked) has no internal cooldown and procs off every instance of damage that crits, which means AoE spells that crits on multiple targets will give you multiple stacks. However, pets and guardians will not proc the minor power, except Bilescourge Bombers and Implosion, because the player is technically the source of those.
- Condensed Life-force's major power ( Guardian of Azeroth) lines up naturally with Nether Portal or eery 2 Tyrants, further increasing the 3-minute burst. Each shard from both the major power and the minor power ( Condensed Life-Force) applies a 6 second debuff increasing all damage you do to that target.
- Conflict and Strife (major power: Conflict, minor power: Strife) enables the PvP talent Nether Ward.
- Essence of the Focusing Iris's major power ( Focused Azerite Beam) has an initial cast followed by a channel that does all the damage. Its minor power ( Focused Energy) grants you a buff on spell impact, making difficult for Demonology to keep the buff up, unless Doom and/or Soul Strike are talented.
- Memory of Lucid Dreams's major power ( Memory of Lucid Dreams) makes your Shadow Bolt generate 2 shards and Demonbolt generate 4 shards. However, its 2-minute cooldown and the fact tht you can only have 5 shards at the same time makes it rather unappealing. Its minor power ( Lucid Dreams) often results in a handful of extra shard each minute.
- Purification Protocol's major power ( Purifying Blast) becomes strong once you can leverage the 10% damage buff for each target dying during its effect. Its minor power ( Purification Protocol) is rather mediocre unless it hits Aberrations.
- Ripple in Space's major power ( Ripple in Space) works like a 2-second delayed Blink with a bit of damage, rather unappealing as Warlock in general, considering we have both Demonic Gateway and Demonic Circle. Its minor power ( Reality Shift) can be procced by using Demonic Circle and Demonic Gateway, as well as by moving for more than 25 yards in 4 seconds since you last cast a spell.
- The Crucible of Flame's major power ( Concentrated Flame) is a straightforward single-target damaging spell, on a 30-second cooldown. Its minor power ( Ancient Flame) is one of the strongest (if not the strongest) option for single-target situations.
- The Unbound Force's major power ( The Unbound Force) is rather underwhelming unless you can sync it with its minor power. Its minor power ( Reckless Force) seems to have around 40-50% proc chance off your non crits, but does not procs off guardians/pets similar to Blood of the Enemy.
- Vision of Perfection's major power ( Vision of Perfection) often results in multiple Tyrants being active at the same time. Keep in mind that traits like Supreme Commander and Baleful Invocation will give only partial benefits: Supreme Commander only gives 35% baseline Intellect and Baleful Invocation will refund only 3 shards. Multiple Tyrants expiring will not increase the stacks of Intellect from Supreme Commander but reset its duration to 15 seconds. Demonic Consumption does not work with additional Tyrants. Its minor power ( Strive for Perfection), reduces Tyrant's cooldown up to 1 minute and 8 seconds.
- Worldvein Resonance's major power ( Worldvein Resonance) allows you to maintain high stacks after moving. Its minor power ( Lifeblood) allows you to benefit from the main stat increase at the expense of relying on other people when movements is required, if you take the major power of another essence.
Essence Comparison Simulations for Demonology Warlocks
As with all simulations provided in our guides, they only provide a general guideline. Please use raidbots.com to sim your own character.
Single-Target Esssence Simulations for Demonology Warlock
Major Essences for Demonology Warlock
Minor Essences for Demonology Warlock
AoE Esssence Simulations for Demonology Warlock
Major Essences for Demonology Warlock
Minor Essences for Demonology Warlock
- 15 Jul. 2019: Updated Essence recommendations.
- 25 Jun. 2019: Page created.
- Diablo 2 Cinematics Upscaled to 4K and 8K
- Jokerd Removed from Method Org After Ninja Looting
- Pet Battle Changes in 8.3: Visions of N'zoth (Official Preview)
- N'Zoth Raid Testing Streams
- World Bosses and PvP Honor System Available
- Outlaw Rogue Anniversary Event Ragnaros Bug
- Corrupted Weapons from Ny'alotha, the Waking City in Patch 8.3
- Wrathion Sells Various Items in Patch 8.3
- What’s the better PC?
- Fire Mage 8.2
- Marksmanship Hunter 8.2
- Frost Mage 8.2
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Holy Priest 8.2
- 15-Year Anniversary Event
- Very low HPS MW monk