Marksmanship Hunter DPS Spell Summary — Dragonflight 10.0.2
This will cover synergies, cooldowns, and core concepts of the spec to get it working. If you already have experience and are very comfortable with Marksmanship, it is okay to skip past this, otherwise this is a great point to get a base understanding before moving onto later sections of the guide that covers nuances of gameplay.
Main Resource of Marksmanship Hunter
Hunters and their pets use a unique resource, called Focus. Focus works in much the same way as other class resources, like Rage and Energy, in the sense that some abilities grant Focus, while others cost Focus to be used.
A Marksmanship Hunter's Focus has a maximum capacity of 100, and regenerates at a slow rate that varies by spec. In addition to this passive flow of incoming Focus, certain talents and abilities will amplify your Focus regeneration, or simply generate more of it.
Hunter pet Focus works similarly, and is of no concern to you as you cannot do anything to modify it, nor will you be casting pet abilities manually.
As a general rule, you should always have enough Focus to cast your abilities as soon as they come off cooldown, but also to never have 100 Focus (as any extra Focus you generate would then go to waste).
Note that this page simply lists all the different abilities, assuming you are at max level. If you are leveling, check out our dedicated Hunter Leveling page, which has detailed information on when you unlock all of these abilities.
Baseline Abilities of Marksmanship Hunter
- Arcane Shot deals low Arcane damage for 40 Focus.
- Aspect of the Cheetah increases your movement speed by 90% for 3 seconds, and 30% for 9 seconds. 3-minute cooldown.
- Aspect of the Turtle deflects most attacks for 8 seconds, and reduces damage taken by 30%. 3-minute cooldown.
- Disengage leaps you backwards. 20-second cooldown.
- Exhilaration heals you for 30%, and your pet for 100% of its maximum health. 2-minute cooldown.
- Eyes of the Beast lets you take control of your pet and see from its perspective for 1 minute.
- Feign Death pretends to be dead for 6 minutes, dropping all enemy aggro and threat, and prevents you from body-pulling nearby enemies. 30-second cooldown.
- Flare reveals all stealthed enemies caught in the ground-target location. 20-second cooldown.
- Freezing Trap places a trap on the ground. The first enemy that triggers it will be frozen for 30 seconds. Damage breaks the effect. 30-second cooldown.
- Hunter's Mark lets you track and see a target through stealth, if applied before stealth.
- Mend Pet heals your pet for 50% of its total health over 10 seconds. If your pet is dead, it turns into Revive Pet.
- Revive Pet revives your pet with full health. 3-second cast, 35 Focus.
- Wing Clip slows your target by 50% for 15 seconds. Can only be used in melee. Costs 20 Focus.
For more information on how to use these abilities together in your rotation, please read our rotation page.
Marksmanship Hunter Talent Guide for Dragonflight
This is our list of all the Marksmanship Hunter Talents in Dragonflight.
Hunter Class Tree Active Abilities
- Concussive Shot slows your target by 50% for 6 seconds. Steady Shot extends this by 3 seconds.
- Kill Shot deals heavy Physical damage for 10 Focus on a 10-second cooldown. It is only usable on targets below 20% health.
- Counter Shot interrupts your target's spell cast, and prevents any spell in that school from being cast for 3 seconds, on a 24-second cooldown.
- Tar Trap places a trap on the ground. When an enemy triggers it, it spawns an 8-yard radius circle of tar on the ground that slows all enemies caught by 50%, which lasts 30 seconds. 30-second cooldown.
- Misdirection redirects all your threat (not your pet's) to the target for 8 seconds. After casting it, you have 30 seconds to start attacking something, which triggers the 8-second effect, meaning you can pre-cast it. 30-second cooldown.
- Survival of the Fittest reduces your damage taken by 20% for 8 seconds, on a 2-minute cooldown.
- Tranquilizing Shot removes 1 Enrage and 1 Magic effect from your target on a 10-second cooldown.
- Scare Beast fears a Beast enemy for 20-seconds. Breaks on damage. Costs 25 Focus.
- Intimidation stuns a target for 5 seconds. 1-minute cooldown. Mutually exclusive with High Explosive Trap.
- High Explosive Trap places a trap on the ground. The first enemy that triggers will activate an AoE knockback effect that also deals low Fire damage to all enemies affected. Mutually exclusive with Intimidation.
- Scatter Shot incapacitates and deals low Physical damage to the target for 4 seconds. Damage breaks the effect. Mutually exclusive with Binding Shot.
- Binding Shot places an arrow on the ground. Enemies that pass by the arrow and then move 5 yards away from it are stunned for 3 seconds. Mutually exclusive with Scatter Shot. Mutually exclusive with Scatter Shot.
- Camouflage gives you stealth for 1 minute, and heals you for 2% of your maximum health every second. 1-minute cooldown that begins when the effect ends.
- Sentinel Owl places a ground circle that lets you ignore Line of Sight to all enemies caught in it. Its duration is determined by Focus spent before casting it. Every 150 Focus is 1 second of duration. It can only be cast with at least 5 seconds of duration. The number on the action button indicates the amount of seconds it will last.
- Serpent Sting deals low Nature damage initially, and applies an 18-second DoT. Costs 10 Focus.
- Steel Trap places a trap on the ground. The first enemy caught in it is trapped and immobilized, and takes heavy Physical damage over 20 seconds. The damage works even when the immobilization does not. Damage breaks the immobilization. 30-second cooldown.
- Stampede sends a horde of pets towards your target in a line, dealing heavy Physical damage to all targets in the line over 12 seconds. Enemies struck are slowed by 30%, and you have a 10% increased crit chance against them for 5 seconds. Mutually exclusive with Death Chakram.
- Death Chakram sends a glaive towards your target that bounces 7 times. It also bounces to other nearby enemies. Enemies struck take 10% more damage from you for 10 seconds, although in practice the duration is longer as each bounce refreshes the effect. Its damage is increased by 15% for each bounce, and each bounce generates 3 Focus. Mutually exclusive with Stampede.
- Explosive Shot starts a 3-second timer on the target. When it expires, it deals heavy Fire damage to the target, and all nearby enemies. Costs 20 Focus. 30-second cooldown. Mutually exclusive with Barrage.
- Barrage is a 3-second channel that deals heavy Physical damage to all enemies in a cone in front of you. Costs 60 Focus and has a 20-second cooldown. Mutually exclusive with Explosive Shot.
Hunter Class Tree Passive Abilities and Effects
- Trailblazer increases your movement speed by 15/30% when you have not attacked for 3 seconds.
- Posthaste causes Disengage to give you 25/50% movement speed for 4 seconds after landing, and also causes it to break slows, snares, and roots.
- Improved Kill Shot increases Kill Shot's critical damage bonus by 25%.
- Wilderness Medicine improves the healing of Mend Pet by 25/50%, and gives it a 25/50% chance to dispel a magic effect from your pet each time that it heals.
- Natural Mending causes you to reduce the cooldown of Exhilaration whenever you spend 25/12 Focus by 1 second.
- Entrapment causes Tar Trap to also root enemies caught in it for 4 seconds. Damage breaks this effect.
- Improved Traps reduces the cooldown of your Traps by 2.5/5 seconds.
- Lone Survivor reduces the cooldown of Survival of the Fittest by 30 seconds, and increases its duration by 2 seconds. Mutually exclusive with Nature's Endurance
- Nature's Endurance increases the damage reduction of Survival of the Fittest to 40%. Mutually exclusive with Lone Survivor.
- Born To Be Wild reduces the cooldown of all baseline "Aspect" abilities by 10/20%.
- Improved Tranquilizing Shot causes Tranquilizing Shot to give 10 Focus when it dispels something.
- Rejuvenating Wind causes Exhilaration to heal for an additional 11/22% of max health over 8 seconds.
- Binding Shackles causes targets affected by Binding Shot/ High Explosive Trap/ Scatter Shot/ Intimidation to also deal 10% reduced damage to you after their effects end.
- Hunter's Avoidance reduces your AoE damage taken by 6%.
- Pathfinding increases your movement speed by 3/6%.
- Sentinel's Perception extends the Line-of-Sight ignore effect of Sentinel Owl to your party members. Mutually exclusive with Sentinel's Protection.
- Sentinel's Protection causes Sentinel Owl to also grant 5% Leech to all party members. Mutually exclusive with Sentinel's Perception.
- Beast Master increases pet damage by 3/6%.
- Keen Eyesight improves critical strike chance by 2/4%.
- Master Marksman causes your ability crits to bleed for an additional 7/15% of damage dealt over 6 seconds.
- Improved Kill Command improves the damage of Kill Command by 5/10%.
- Serrated Shots increases the damage of Serpent Sting and Bleeds like Master Marksman by 10/20%. This effect is doubled on targets below 30% health.
- Arctic Bola gives Aimed Shot a chance to throw a Bola at your target which snares it by 20% for 3 seconds, and deals low/moderate Frost damage. Damage increases by point.
- Killer Instinct increases Kill Command damage by 50% on targets below 35% health. Mutually exclusive with Alpha Predator.
- Alpha Predator gives Kill Command an extra charge, and increases its damage by 15%. Mutually exclusive with Killer Instinct.
- Poison Injection causes Serpent Sting ticks to apply the Latent Poison debuff to the target, stacking up to 10 times. Using Aimed Shot consumes the stacks, dealing low Nature damage per stack consumed. Mutually exclusive with Hydra's Bite
- Hydra's Bite increases Serpent Sting damage by 20%, and causes it to fire on up to 2 additional targets. Mutually exclusive with Poison Injection.
Marksmanship Hunter Tree Active Abilities and Effects
- Aimed Shot is a ranged shot that deals heavy Physical damage, with a 2.5-second cast time. It costs 35 Focus and has 2 charges.
- Rapid Fire shoots 7 shots at your target, each dealing low Physical damage and generating 1 Focus.
- Chimaera Shot replaces Arcane Shot and deals increased damage, and also cleaves a second target for slightly reduced damage.
- Multi-Shot is an AoE version of Arcane Shot that deals low Physical damage to multiple enemies.
- Double Tap is a 1-minute cooldown that will "double" your next Aimed Shot or Rapid Fire. Aimed Shot fires a second time, while Rapid Fire will shoot 14 Arrows (up from 7).
- Bursting Shot is a close-range knocback and 50% snare that lasts for 6 seconds, dealing extremely low damage.
- Volley is a ground-targeted ability that rains arrows on the ground, dealing low Physical damage 12 times to all enemies caught in it. It also grants you 6 seconds of the Trick Shots buff (see Passives section below).
- Trueshot is your main burst cooldown. It reduces the cooldown of Aimed Shot and Rapid Fire by 70%, and causes Aimed Shot to cast 50% faster for 15 seconds. Your passive Focus generation is also increased by 50%.
- Wailing Arrow is a 2-second cast that deals heavy Shadow damage to the target, and moderate Shadow damage to all nearby targets. It also silences them for 3 seconds.
Marksmanship Hunter Tree Passive Abilities and Effects
- Crack Shot reduces the Focus cost of Arcane Shot/ Chimaera Shot by 20.
- Improved Steady Shot causes Steady Shot to also generate 10 Focus.
- Precise Shots causes Aimed Shot to grant 1-2 stacks of Precise Shots, each increasing the damage of your next Arcane Shot/ Multi-Shot by 35%.
- Lone Wolf increases your damage done by 10% when you do not have a pet active.
- Streamline increases the damage of Rapid Fire by 7/15%, and causes it to make your next Aimed Shot cast 15/30% faster.
- Killer Accuracy increases the crit chance of Kill Shot by 10/20%.
- Hunter's Knowledge increases the crit chance of Aimed Shot and Rapid Fire by 5%.
- Careful Aim causes Aimed Shot to deal 50% increased damage to targets above 70% health.
- Lethal Shots gives Arcane Shot/ Multi-Shot a 30% chance to reduce the cooldown of Rapid Fire by 5 seconds. Mutually exclusive with Surging Shots.
- Surging Shots increases the damage of Rapid Fire by 35%, and gives Aimed Shot a 15% chance to reset the cooldown of Rapid Fire. Mutually exclusive with Lethal Shots.
- Deathblow causes Aimed Shot to have a 15%, and Rapid Fire to have a 25% chance to grant a charge of Kill Shot, and make it be usable on any target, regardless of current health.
- Target Practice increases the damage of Arcane Shot and Multi-Shot by 25%.
- Focused Aim increases the damage done of Aimed Shot and Rapid Fire by 5%.
- Razor Fragments buffs your next Kill Shot when you gain Trick Shots or Deathblow, causing it to deal 50% increased damage, and cleave on up to 5 additional targets for 25% of its original damage, over 6 seconds.
- Deadeye gives Kill Shot 2 charges, and reduces its cooldown by 3 seconds.
- Trick Shots will make Multi-Shot grant Trick Shots when it hits 3 or more targets. Trick Shots causes your next Aimed Shot or Rapid Fire to cleave on up to 5 additional targets for 55% of normal damage.
- Bombardment causes every 4 Arcane Shots to grant Bombardment, causing your next Multi-Shot to grant Trick Shots regardless of how many targets are hit.
- Steady Focus causes you to gain 4/8% Haste for 15 seconds when casting 2x Steady Shots in a row.
- Serpentstalker's Trickery causes Aimed Shot to also fire Serpent Sting on the target, even if the talent is not chosen.
- Quick Load causes Bursting Shot's cooldown to immediately reset when you drop below 40% health. This can only happen once every 25 seconds.
- Heavy Ammo causes Trick Shots to only cleave on 3 additional targets, but increases the cleave damage by 10%. This is a universal DPS loss. Mutually exclusive with Light Ammo.
- Light Ammo causes Trick Shots to cleave on 2 additional targets. Mutually exclusive with Light Ammo.
- Lock and Load gives your auto-attacks an 8% chance to trigger Lock and Load, causing your next Aimed Shot to cost no Focus, and have no cast time.
- Bullseye causes you to gain 1% crit whenever your abilities hit a target below 20% health, stacking up to 15/30 times.
- Bulletstorm causes each cleaved target from Trick Shots to grant Bulletstorm, increasing the damage of Multi-Shot by 7% for 15 seconds, stacking up to 10 times. Its duration is not refreshed.
- Sharpshooter increases your critical strike damage done by 2/4%.
- Eagletalon's True Focus increases the duration of Trueshot by 1.5/3 seconds, and reduces all of your Focus costs by 12/25% while it is active.
- Legacy of the Windrunners gives Aimed Shot a 25% chance to fire 3/6 Wind Arrows on your target. Each Wind Arrow deals low Physical damage, and is affected by all Aimed Shot damage multipliers such as Careful Aim.
- Salvo causes Multi-Shot and Volley to apply Explosive Shot on up to 2 random target hit. This effect has a 45-second cooldown.
- Calling the Shots reduces the cooldown of Trueshot by 1.5 seconds for every 50 Focus spent. Mutually exclusive with Unerring Vision
- Unerring Vision grants you 1% Crit, and 2% Crit Damage every 1 second while Trueshot is active, stacking up to 10 times. Mutually exclusive with Calling the Shots.
- Windrunner's Barrage causes Wailing Arrow to fire off 5 Wind Arrows on your primary target, and 10 Wind Arrows split among secondary targets hit. Each Wind Arrow deals low Physical damage. Mutually exclusive with Readiness.
- Readiness causes Wailing Arrow to grant 2 charges of Aimed Shot and reset the cooldown of Rapid Fire. Mutually exclusive with Windrunner's Barrage.
- Windrunner's Guidance gives each Wind Arrow a 3% chance to grant you 10 seconds of Trueshot.
There are 3 different pet specializations. These specializations are determined by your pet family and they cannot be changed. We recommend having a variety of pets of each spec, so that you can cover any situation.
|Pet Spec||Passive Effect||Active Ability|
|Ferocity||Predator's Thirst gives you and your pet 10% Leech. Leech heals you based on how much damage you do.||Primal Rage, which provides the Bloodlust/ Heroism effect, increasing Haste for you and all nearby allies by 30% for 40 seconds. This shares cooldown with Bloodlust/Heroism and similar effects.|
|Tenacity||Endurance Training increases the maximum health of you and your pet by 5%.||Survival of the Fittest is a defensive ability that reduces the damage taken by you and your pet by 20% for 6 seconds. It has a 3-minute cooldown.|
|Cunning||Pathfinding increases the movement speed of you and your pet by 8%.||Master's Call removes all movement-impairing effects from your pet and a friendly target, and makes them immune to movement-impairing effects for 4 seconds. The friendly target can be you. It has a 45-second cooldown.|
Pet Families and Abilities
Every Pet Family has a special ability. We recommend having at least one of every special ability and spec combination.
|Special Ability||Description||Pet Families|
|Damage Reduction Cooldown||Reduces the damage taken of your pet by 50% for 12 seconds. This has a 1-minute cooldown.||Core Hound (Exotic), Scalehide.|
|Self-Dispel||Removes 1 Disease, 1 Magic, and 1 Poison effect from your pet. 10-second cooldown.||Bat, Ray|
|Healing Reduction||Reduces the healing taken of your pet's target by 25% for 10 seconds. This has a 6-second cooldown, which means that it will be active all the time.||Carrion Bird, Ravager, Scorpid, Wasp.|
|Damage Reduction On Low Health||Reduces your pet's damage taken by 60% for 15 seconds when your pet falls below 40% health.||Gorilla.|
|Dodge Chance Cooldown||This ability increases your pet's Dodge chance by 30% for 20 seconds. It has a 1.5-minute cooldown.||Cat, Wind Serpent|
|Slow/Snare||Reduces the movement speed of your pet's target by 50% for 6 seconds. It has a 10-second cooldown.||Crocolisk, Spider, Tallstrider, Wolf, Chimaera.|
|Special Ability||Description||Pet Families|
|Damage Reduction Cooldown||Reduces the damage taken of your pet by 50% for 12 seconds. This has a 1-minute cooldown.||Krolusk (Exotic), Beetle, Turtle.|
|Self-Dispel||Removes 1 Disease, 1 Magic, and 1 Poison effect from your pet. 10-second cooldown.||Spirit Beast (Exotic), Crane, Stag|
|Healing Reduction||Reduces the healing taken of your pet's target by 25% for 10 seconds. This has a 6-second cooldown, which means that it will be active all the time.||Direhorn, Hydra, Riverbeast, Lizard.|
|Damage Reduction On Low Health||Reduces your pet's damage taken by 60% for 15 seconds when your pet falls below 40% health.||Oxen, Bear.|
|Dodge Chance Cooldown||This ability increases your pet's Dodge chance by 30% for 20 seconds. It has a 1.5-minute cooldown.||*Feathermane, Dragonhawk, Toad.|
|Slow/Snare||Reduces the movement speed of your pet's target by 50% for 6 seconds. It has a 10-second cooldown.||Worm (Exotic), Crab, Mammoth|
*Feathermane pets also have Updraft, which enables Slow Fall for you and your pet, allowing you to fall safely from almost any height while the pet is active for 30 seconds.
|Special Ability||Description||Pet Families|
|Damage Reduction Cooldown||Reduces the damage taken of your pet by 50% for 12 seconds. This has a 1-minute cooldown.||Shale Spider (Exotic), Boar, Mechanical.|
|Self-Dispel||Removes 1 Disease, 1 Magic, and 1 Poison effect from your pet. 10-second cooldown.||Sporebat, Moth, Water Strider (Exotic)|
|Healing Reduction||Reduces the healing taken of your pet's target by 25% for 10 seconds. This has a 6-second cooldown, which means that it will be active all the time.||Hyena, Rodent, Raptor.|
|Damage Reduction On Low Health||Reduces your pet's damage taken by 60% for 15 seconds when your pet falls below 40% health.||Goat, Pterrodax|
|Dodge Chance Cooldown||This ability increases your pet's Dodge chance by 30% for 20 seconds. It has a 1.5-minute cooldown.||Fox, Monkey, Serpent.|
|Slow/Snare||Reduces the movement speed of your pet's target by 50% for 6 seconds. It has a 10-second cooldown.||Basilisk, Bird of Prey, Dog, Warp Stalker, Aqiri (Exotic).|
* Water Strider pets also have Surface Trot, a passive ability that lets you and your pet walk on water while out of combat. Damage will break this effect.
Exotic Pets (Beast Mastery-only)
|Pet Family||Specialization||Special Ability||Exotic Ability|
|Core Hound||Ferocity||Obsidian Skin reduces your pet's damage taken by 50% for 12 seconds. It has a 1-minute cooldown.||Molten Hide causes your pet to gain Molten Hide when it gets hit by a melee attack, causing it to deal slight Fire damage to all further melee attackers for 10 seconds. It can only activate every 60 seconds.|
|Chimaera||Ferocity||Frost Breath reduces the movement speed of your pet's target by 50% for 6 seconds. It has a 10-second cooldown.||Froststorm Breath is an 8-second channeled ability for your pet that deals AoE damage to all enemies within 12 yards every 2 seconds. It costs 10 Focus to activate, and then 5 Focus per second to maintain.|
|Devilsaur||Ferocity||Monstrous Bite reduces the healing taken of your pet's target by 25%. It lasts 10 seconds and has a 6-second cooldown, meaning it is up all the time.||Feast lets you order your pet to consume a nearby Humanoid or Beast corpse within 5 yards, healing your pet for 20% of its maximum health, and restoring 20 Focus over 6 seconds.|
|Clefthoof||Ferocity||Thick Hide gives your pet a 60% damage reduction for 15 seconds when it falls below 40% health. This can only occur once every 2 minutes.||Blood of the Rhino is a passive effect that increases your pet's armor by 10%, and increases the effectiveness of all healing done to it by 20%.|
|Quilen||Tenacity||Stone Armor buffs your pet when it falls below 40% health, reducing its damage taken by 40% and healing it for 3% of its maximum health every 1 second for 15 seconds. This effect can only occur every 2 minutes.||Eternal Guardian is an instant resurrection for your pet. If your pet has died, you can use it to instantly revive it with 100% of its health. It has an 8-minute cooldown.|
|Spirit Beast||Tenacity||Spirit Pulse removes 1 Magic, 1 Disease, and 1 Poison effect from itself. It has a 10-second cooldown.||Spirit Mend heals a friendly target for a small amount instantly, and applies a small healing DoT for 10 seconds. It costs 5 pet Focus. It can be cast on yourself as well. Spirit Beasts also have the Prowl stealth ability, like Cats.|
|Worm||Tenacity||Acid Spit reduces the movement speed of your pet's target by 50% for 6 seconds. It has a 10-second cooldown.||Burrow Attack is an 8-second channeled ability for your pet that deals AoE damage to all enemies within 12 yards every 2 seconds. It costs 10 Focus to activate, and then 5 Focus per second to maintain.|
|Krolusk||Tenacity||Bulwark reduces your pet's damage taken by 50% for 12 seconds. It has a 1-minute cooldown.||Calcified Carapace passively reduces your pet's Physical damage taken by approximately 10%. The proper spell data is not in the game for this ability yet.|
|Shale Spider||Cunning||Solid Shell reduces your pet's damage taken by 50% for 12 seconds. It has a 1-minute cooldown.||Shimmering Shale passively reduces your pet's magic damage taken by approximately 10%. The proper spell data is not in the game for this ability yet.|
|Aqiri||Cunning||Tendon Rip reduces the movement speed of your pet's target by 50% for 6 seconds. It has a 10-second cooldown.||Dune Strider passively increases your pet's movement speed by 30%.|
|Water Strider||Cunning||Soothing Waters removes 1 Magic, 1 Disease, and 1 Poison effect from itself. It has a 10-second cooldown.||Surface Trot allows you and your pet to walk on water. Any damage taken will cancel the effect and cause you to fall in the water.|