Marksmanship Hunter DPS Mythic+ Guide — Shadowlands 9.1
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Marksmanship Hunter in World of Warcraft — Shadowlands 9.1.
Unique Challenges of Mythic+
Mythic+ Dungeons, especially high ones, are arguably the highest level of competitive PvE content that WoW has to offer aside from Mythic raiding.
In Mythic Dungeons as a Hunter, you will be responsible for a large part of the group's total damage output, while in a Mythic Raiding group, you may only be responsible for maybe 7% of it. The skill and execution from the individual players in the group is much more important.
Aside from just doing damage, in Mythic+ you will be responsible for many things to make the group's run faster and easier. Interrupting, offensively dispelling enemy targets, soaking mechanics, using your traps and stuns are all much more common in Mythic+ than your usual Mythic raid.
In this guide, we will talk about getting the most out of your Hunter in Mythic+ dungeons, including the best way to set up your character, how your rotation may change, and tips and tricks for using your abilities in the most optimal way.
If you are unfamiliar with Mythic+ and its associated general mechanics, you can read more about it on our dedicated Mythic+ page below.
Best Marksmanship Hunter Mythic+ Build
For a more general overview of Talents for Marksmanship Hunter, please visit our dedicated Talents page.
These are our recommended talents for Marksmanship Hunter in Mythic+.
|15||✓ Master Marksman||✗ Serpent Sting||✗ A Murder of Crows|
|25||✗ Careful Aim||✗ Barrage||✓ Explosive Shot|
|30||✗ Trailblazer||? Natural Mending||? Camouflage|
|35||✗ Steady Focus||✓ Streamline||✗ Chimaera Shot|
|40||? Born To Be Wild||? Posthaste||? Binding Shackles|
|45||✗ Lethal Shots||✗ Dead Eye||✓ Double Tap|
|50||✗ Calling the Shots||✗ Lock and Load||✓ Volley|
Best Mythic+ Covenant and Soulbind for Marksmanship Hunter
For more information about the best Marksmanship Hunter Covenants and Soulbinds, please check out our page below.
Best Mythic+ Legendary for Marksmanship Hunter
Surging Shots is the best Legendary for Marksmanship Hunters in Mythic+. It has some of the best AoE capabilities of any Legendary while also being reasonably competitive for single-target.
For more information on Marksmanship Hunter Legendaries in different situations, please check out our page below.
Best Tormented Anima Powers for Mythic+ for Marksmanship Hunter
Below, we have ranked the Tormented Anima Powers that are obtained from the new Tormented mini-bosses in Mythic+.
- Champion's Brand is nearly always active and is great for both single-target and AoE. This should always be chosen when it is available, unless it is a Tyrannical Affix and Dagger of Necrotic Wounding below is available instead.
- Dagger of Necrotic Wounding is extremely powerful for single-target and should be chosen over Champion's Brand on Tyrannical Affixes only.
- The Stone Ward is an excellent defensive option for us, as we are one of the squishiest classes in Mythic+.
- Regenerative Fungus is a strong self-heal.
- Handbook of Uncivil Etiquette can be used when damage intake is not a concern at all, or if you are in a dungeon where the bosses are regularly interruptible, such as Sanguine Depths, De Other Side, Mists of Tirna Scithe, or The Necrotic Wake. We still recommend Regenerative Fungus most of the time, however.
Rotational Considerations for Marksmanship Hunter in Mythic+
For the most part, your rotation will remain the same as normal in Mythic+ dungeons. Because of the nature of dungeons, however, with mobs dying constantly and there sometimes being downtime in between packs, we recommend taking the following extra considerations.
Note that the information below specifically pertains to Mythic+. If you require more general information, you should go to the main Rotation page below.
Trueshot and Covenant Ability
Double Tap should be spent on Rapid Fire whenever possible. The combination of Streamline and Surging Shots makes Rapid Fire an extremely powerful ability. You should precast it before packs start so that you do not have to spend the GCD while in combat.
Mythic+ AoE Burst Opener for Marksmanship Hunter
- If you are using Double Tap, activate it shortly before the pull begins.
- Use Explosive Shot as soon as the pull is engaged.
- Activate your Covenant Ability, such as Resonating Arrow.
- Activate Volley.
- Cast Rapid Fire
- Activate Trueshot immediately.
- Cast Aimed Shot
- Cast Aimed Shot
- After Volley ends, proceed with your Trueshot rotation, and remember to use Multi-Shot to keep up Trick Shots.
Key Abilities for Marksmanship Hunter in Mythic+
Bursting Shot is a useful AoE interrupt that works in melee range. It can be used to interrupt abilities that cannot be interrupted normally, and you can aid in getting caster mobs to join the main pack using this ability.
Freezing Trap plays the same role as Intimidation for the most part, allowing you to interrupt dangerous casts that cannot be interrupted normally. It can also allow you to remove dangerous caster mobs from the equation. If there are caster mobs out of position hitting your group, those are ideal targets to be trapped until they can be pulled into the remaining group. It can also be used to skip mobs or packs by trapping a mob, letting the group run past, grabbing aggro by running close to it, and then running away and using Feign Death.
Counter Shot is your main interrupt and will be used often in any Mythic+. As you get to know the dungeons, you should know which spells are worth spending your valuable, long-cooldown interrupt on, and which ones you can safely leave to those with shorter cooldowns. Chances are that you will have one of the only ranged interrupts in your group. Using this on caster mobs that are out of position in order to force them to run for the tank is extremely valuable.
Feign Death is an extremely powerful spell in Mythic+. It can be used to effectively nullify a lot of targeted effects that mobs and bosses channel on you. It can also be used to nullify targeted spells where you can see that it will land on you before the cast finishes. Using Feign Death can cause the boss to pick another target, or completely stop casting the ability.
Binding Shot is one of the most unique utility spells you bring to Mythic+. It is an 8-second root that can affect any amount of targets that crosses over the arrow. This is used when the tank is kiting to save them from danger. It can also be used to ensure that mobs stay in place for a number of reasons, such as keeping them inside your Wild Spirits/ Resonating Arrow.
Tranquilizing Shot is simple. It is an offensive Enrage/Magic dispel that can be used to remove beneficial buffs from enemies. An underrated feature of this ability is that gives you 10 Focus if it successfully dispels something. It is also slightly faster to cast than Steady Shot, so it can be thought of as a DPS spell because it gives you Focus.
How to use Bloodlust / Heroism as a Marksmanship Hunter in Mythic+
The ideal way to do this is to summon your pet, and then immediately dismiss it. When there is 0.1s left on the Dismiss cast (or whenever the boss is pulled), you activate the Primal Rage ability.
Your Lone Wolf will take 20 seconds to stack all the way up to 10% damage done, but if the boss fight is of any substantial length (90 seconds or longer), then this should still be a net DPS increase.
If you cannot or will not do this, then you can also just leave your pet active for the boss fight and dismiss it after it is over, but you should never dismiss your pet mid-fight.
Trinket Considerations for Marksmanship Hunter in Mythic+
When choosing your trinkets, we recommend simulating yourself on Raidbots. If you have a lot of time on your hands, you would want to sim 1-5 targets on 40-second, 90-second and 3-minute fight lengths without Bloodlust and average out the results. This is way beyond what is required for most players, and for a quick "rough" sim we recommend CleaveAdd, 2 targets, 90 seconds, and no Bloodlust.
You can also get a quick overview of good Mythic+ Trinkets on our Gearing page, specifically the Simulation chart for multi-target scenarios.
- 12 Jul. 2021: Added information about the best Tormented Anima Mythic+ Powers to take.
- 28 Jun. 2021: Reviewed and approved for Patch 9.1.
- 19 Apr. 2021: Added information about Binding Shot and Tranquilizing Shot to the utility spells section.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 09 Jan. 2020: Added a section about using Bloodlust / Heroism in Mythic+ as a Marksmanship Hunter.
- 26 Dec. 2020: Updated the recommended M+ Sim Methodology.
- 07 Dec. 2020: Added information about best Covenants and Legendaries for Mythic+, and altered the AoE Burst Opener.
- 23 Nov. 2020: Updated for Shadowlands.
- 17 Oct. 2020: Updated the Level 50 Talent recommendation.
- 12 Oct. 2020: Page updated for the Shadowlands pre-patch.
- Druid Mage Tower Set in Patch 9.1.5
- The Death of 10 Man Competitive Raiding (Video)
- How to Catch Up on Companion XP in Patch 9.1.5
- Patch 9.1.5 Build 40622 Class Changes
- Patch 9.1.5 and 9.2 Release Date Predictions
- Lightforged Ruinstrider (Lightforged Draenei Paladin Mount) in Patch 9.1.5
- Warlock Class Changes (Patch 9.1.5 Build 40622)
- Shaman Mage Tower Set in Patch 9.1.5