Marksmanship Hunter DPS Mythic+ Guide — Dragonflight 10.1
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Marksmanship Hunter in World of Warcraft — Dragonflight 10.1.
Unique Challenges of Dragonflight Mythic+
Mythic+ Dungeons, especially high ones, are arguably the highest level of competitive PvE content that WoW has to offer aside from Mythic raiding.
In Mythic Dungeons as a Hunter, you will be responsible for a large part of the group's total damage output, while in a Mythic Raiding group, you may only be responsible for maybe 7% of it. The skill and execution from the individual players in the group is much more important.
Aside from just doing damage, in Mythic+ you will be responsible for many things to make the group's run faster and easier. Interrupting, offensively dispelling enemy targets, soaking mechanics, using your traps and stuns are all much more common in Mythic+ than your usual Mythic raid.
In this guide, we will talk about getting the most out of your Hunter in Mythic+ dungeons, including the best way to set up your character, how your rotation may change, and tips and tricks for using your abilities in the most optimal way.
If you are unfamiliar with Mythic+ and its associated general mechanics, you can read more about it on our dedicated Mythic+ page below.
To learn more about the Mythic+ Meta, check out our Mythic+ Tier List below.
Best Dragonflight Mythic+ Talent Builds for Marksmanship Hunter
For a more general overview of Talents for Marksmanship Hunter, please visit our dedicated Talents page.
These are our recommended talents for Marksmanship Hunter in Mythic+.
Be sure to use the 'Copy Export String' button on our calculator so that you can easily transfer our builds ingame!
Key Utility for Marksmanship Hunter in Dragonflight Mythic+
This section talks mostly about the uses of different spells. For in-depth explanations of all Hunter Abilities and Talents, including these, check out our Spells page.
Counter Shot is your "kick" and your most important bit of utility in Mythic+, used to stop enemy casts for the benefit of the group and especially the tank. It is highly recommended to use a Focus Kick macro for this.
- /cast [@focus,exists,nodead][@mouseover,exists,nodead]  Counter Shot
This macro will kick your focus target if you have one, mouseover if you have no Focus target, and your target if you have neither of those.
To quickly set a focus target in hectic scenarios, we also recommend a Focus Mouseover macro.
- /focus [@mouseover]
Make sure that your UI shows your Focus Target's casts clearly, so that you are always able to kick it on cooldown, or in coordination with the rest of your group.
Misdirection can allow you to start DPS earlier than others for a DPS increase. It can also help the tank collect mobs more easily, as they will not have to generate aggro on mobs before moving on to others with your help. Use this liberally, especially when you are about to do burst damage!
Binding Shot can be used to save your tank in hectic moments by helping him kite mobs and generate some range.
Freezing Trap can be used as an additional stop alongside Intimidation, but it has a slow travel time and you will need to be close to land it before most stunnable casts are finished.
Scatter Shot (mutually exclusive with Binding Shot can be used as an additional stop alongside Freezing Trap, but you have to be within 20 yards of the mob you are stopping.
Feign Death can not only be used to drop aggro, but also negate certain casts and channels on you. In some cases, these mechanics will simply retarget someone else in the group, but occasionally the mechanic will be entirely negated with huge benefits. If you notice a cast or effect on you, try to Feign it!
Tranquilizing Shot can negate beneficial Enrage and Magic effects from enemy targets.
Tar Trap can be used to aid your tank in kiting by slowing mobs.
Gear Considerations and How To Sim Mythic+ for Marksmanship Hunter in Mythic+
When choosing your trinkets, we recommend simulating yourself on Raidbots Top Gear or Gear Compare using the MDT Sim> Sim Method to simulate a Mythic+ dungeon.
On our Gear Page below, we have compiled BiS items for Marksmanship Hunter that also apply to Mythic+.
- 25 May 2023: Updated the recommended builds to assume the set bonus as default.
- 04 May 2023: Updated the recommended M+ Talent Build. This is likely a temporary change, until the new Tier Set becomes more widespread.
- 01 May 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.
- 20 Mar. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.7.
- 15 Feb. 2023: Updated the utility talents in the M+ Build.
- 30 Jan. 2023: Small updates to the recommended builds and talent swaps.
- 25 Jan. 2023: Updated the Talent Builds again after the discovery of a sim bug. Updated the recommended "swap" talent to Bullseye.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Updated the page for relevant changes in Patch 10.0.5.
- 23 Dec. 2022: Updated the recommended builds to reflect that Unerring Vision is fixed and worth using again.
- 18 Dec. 2022: Updated the recommended talent build for Mythic+ to reflect that Unerring Vision is bugged.
- 12 Dec. 2022: Added note about Wailing Arrow for Mythic+.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Added information about talent changes for individual dungeons.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 24 Oct. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight pre-patch.
More Hunter Guides
Guides from Other Classes
- Upgrade Ranks Added for Mythic Gear in Patch 10.1.5
- Twitch Revises Branded Content Guidelines After Backlash
- Welcome Back Gear Gift for Unplayed Characters in 10.1.5
- Dragonflight Patch 10.1 Hotfixes, June 6th
- Mythic+ Now Has Extra Affixes (Bug)
- Dragonflight 10.1.5 PTR Notes: June 6th
- Blizzard on Catalyst Quest Becoming Available Earlier Than Expected
- Mythic+ Dungeons Re-Enabled on Live Servers