Enhancement Shaman DPS Mythic+ Tips — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
In this guide, you will find tips and advice to tackle Mythic+ dungeons with your Enhancement Shaman in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3.
Enhancement Shaman in Mythic+
Enhancement in Battle for Azeroth's Mythic+ system settles into a high damage melee specialization with a robust utility toolkit. We have some strong tools for burst and control, such as Sundering and Capacitor Totem, alongside the best interrupt available with Wind Shear. We can also funnel AoE damage into a single-target via Crash Lightning. Our AoE relies mostly on sustained rather than frontloaded burst, meaning that it takes some clever pulls and management to get the most out of it compared to some stronger melee alternatives.
If you are unfamiliar with Mythic+ and its associated general mechanics, you can read more about it on our dedicated Mythic+ page below.
Enhancement Shaman Mythic+ Rotation
Nothing specifically changes when in Mythic+ compared to other content other than planning your uses of Sundering. You should save the spell for when there are large groups of mobs, rather than wasting it on smaller, less dangerous groups. For more details on the Enhancement Shaman rotation, check our Rotation, Cooldowns, and Abilities page.
Enhancement Shaman Utility
Enhancement Shaman provides a number of small utility tools to help control and manage enemy groups, alongside a large number of support tools, such as offensive dispels, decurses and some crowd control options. Below is a list of these abilities, as well as their descriptions and uses.
- Purge allows you to dispel a single beneficial buff from enemies. This is much more useful in Battle for Azeroth dungeons, due to the increase in dangerous buffs that are present in some new dungeons.
- Cleanse Spirit dispels curses from friendly targets, and while it rarely used, there are occasional circumstances where this can come in handy.
- Wind Shear provides Enhancement with a ranged interrupt tool on a lower than average cooldown, which is extremely useful in all dungeons to keep dangerous casts at bay, even when you are forced out of melee range.
- Capacitor Totem is Enhancement's AoE crowd control and is always a useful way of locking down large groups of enemies, especially alongside the ability to talent into Static Charge for a reduced cooldown.
- Tremor Totem provides an AoE fear break for your group. While this is a fairly niche tool, it can be useful in specific circumstances to bypass some mechanics - such as Rezan's Terrifying Visage in Atal'Dazar.
- Healing Surge can also be used as an off-healing tool that, while not extremely strong, can help to spot heal in emergencies.
- Earth Elemental is an emergency tool that can be used in situations where the tank is in extreme danger of dying, or has already died, to catch some loose enemies for a few seconds. It will likely die quickly, but relieving a small amount of pressure can be invaluable in M+.
- Sundering is a strong DPS tool and incapacitates targets hit. This secondary effect takes some effort to use as enemies will likely be broken out of this quickly. It does however interrupt targets due to the crowd control effect, and bypasses interrupt immunities in the process.
- Hex can be used as a crowd control option in the event that a target is too dangerous to engage with others, but will put you in combat if you are using this to skip enemies and get too close.
- Wind Rush Totem can be talented if additional movement speed is needed for the group.
- Bloodlust / Heroism provides a powerful burst of Haste with a 10-minute debuff that blocks repeat casts. This is great for pushing through the most dangerous pulls or bosses in a dungeon.
Mythic+ Talents for Enhancement Shaman
Below are the suggested talents for Mythic+. These talents are recommended for all groups and keys at the current time.
|15||✗ Boulderfist||✗ Hot Hand||✓ Lightning Shield|
|30||✗ Landslide||✓ Forceful Winds||✗ Totem Mastery|
|45||? Spirit Wolf||? Earth Shield||✓ Static Charge|
|60||? Searing Assault||✓ Hailstorm||✗ Overcharge|
|75||✓ Nature's Guardian||? Feral Lunge||? Wind Rush Totem|
|90||✗ Crashing Storm||? Fury of Air||✓ Sundering|
|100||✓ Elemental Spirits||✗ Earthen Spike||✓ Ascendance|
This is generally oriented towards being an AoE build, but some options can be taken to augment your single target instead. Utility will largely be decided depending on how much additional survival you need, and the type that you need within a dungeon. Note that Hailstorm is only recommended if you have access to Natural Harmony on your Azerite.
Mythic+ Azerite Traits
For Enhancement in Mythic+, you want to be aiming for the most versatile traits that spread between all damage profiles, meaning that raw stat increase options tend to be very beneficial. Right now, you should prioritise:
- Natural Harmony — as many as possible;
- Thunderaan's Fury — one;
- Roiling Storm — one;
- Ancestral Resonance — in all other available spots, one mandatory.
Mythic+ Azerite Essences
You have a number of options for both Major and Minor Essences in Mythic+, and your decision should be based on a mixture of current affixes and the remainder of your group composition.
- Blood of the Enemy ( Blood of the Enemy) — The most versatile option that works both very well for AoE and single-target situations. The minor is also exceptionally strong when additional targets are present. Also works very well with both Ascendance and Elemental Spirits.
- Essence of the Focusing Iris ( Focused Azerite Beam) — If additional burst AoE is requied, this is a great choice to slot in if you do not have access to Blood of the Enemy.
- Worldvein Resonance ( Worldvein Resonance) — Even without other users in your group, this provides a good burst window and will be active due to the Major. It only gets stronger if others have the Minor equipped too.
- Condensed Life-Force ( Guardian of Azeroth) — If you specifically require additional boss damage in Tyrannical weeks, then this can be used, but will otherwise be very weak on trash.
- Purification Protocol ( Purification Protocol) — Provides the best on-hit AoE damage alongside providing a small amount of healing to boot. A generally strong option.
- Blood of the Enemy ( Blood-Soaked) — Enhancement can stack and trigger this effect incredibly quickly in AoE situations, making it much more powerful when extra targets are present. A great choice if you are not using it as a major.
- Essence of the Focusing Iris ( Focused Energy) — If additional single-target is needed (mostly in Tyrannical weeks), this can be a solid option as we can stack this relatively quickly. It is, however, worse than the two other options.
- Conflict and Strife ( Strife) — This effect will fall off in between packs, but flat Versatility gains are very useful to bolster our AoE output.
- Breath of the Dying ( Lethal Strikes) — This is the strongest direct damage effect in single target, so if you need more and lack access to other options, this is a good pick.
Awakened is the seasonal affix for season 4 of Battle for Azeroth. Knowing how to manage each of the 4 bosses that spawn here is important, but largely for Enhancement you should plan your cooldowns accordingly, ideally having both Blood of the Enemy and Elemental Spirits available to burn them down. If you are dealing with the lieutenants within the obelisks, aim to funnel AoE damage via Crash Lightning into the primary target to burn it down faster while keeping adds spawned in check.
If you are in a situation where you need to handle lieutenants spawning with the end boss, then it is absolutely vital you have your cooldowns available to burst these down quickly and ease up the pressure of the final encounter. Enhancement can leverage its AoE funneling tools to focus down each lieutenant until all are dead, and then focus on the boss. If your group is co-ordinated enough however, you can use them as a tool to keep the Crash Lightning buff active to burn the boss down faster.
- 14 Jan. 2020: Updated for Patch 8.3 with new Essence choices and the Awakened affix.
- 05 Aug. 2019: Updated for Season 3 Beguiling.
- 25 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 10 Dec. 2018: Updated for patch 8.1 with additional talent choices.
- 13 Aug. 2018: Updated for Battle for Azeroth launch.
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: June 2nd
- Optional Crafting Reagents Update: June 2nd
- World First Mythic +28 Tol'Dagor Cleared in Time
- Dredwing Mounts in Shadowlands
- List of Corruption Effects on Sale Through June 5th
- Specific Vendor Corruptions Prediction Theories
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: June 1st
- Fist of Justice / Ineffable Truth Hotfix Cancelled