Beast Mastery Hunter Essences — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, we go over the Essence system in Patch 8.3 of World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth, and we tell you which are the best essences to use as Beast Mastery Hunter, both for minor and major powers. Please refer to our Patch 8.3 Essence Guide for more information about the new essences introduced in Patch 8.3 and to our Essence guide for more general information about the Essence system and where Essences can be obtained from.
Azerite Essences for Beast Mastery Hunters
Introduced in Patch 8.2, Essences are unique items that drop from various forms of content. They are activated through your Heart of Azeroth, and they buff your character in various ways, depending on the Essences that are currently active.
For more information about essences, please check out the following:
- our Essence Guide, with all the essences and how to get them;
- our article on the new essences from Patch 8.3;
- our list of Patch 8.3 essence changes.
What follows on this page will relate directly to how Essences affect this spec, since generic information is beyond the scope of this guide.
Best Essences for Beast Mastery Hunter
Raiding: Best Major Essences for Beast Mastery Hunter
- Worldvein Resonance is the default raiding choice for most bosses and becomes even better when many raiders are using it. It can lose its "best" status if there is a significant amount of movement, as you will then lose uptime on the Shards that it spawns near you.
- Blood of the Enemy is the all-rounder alternative to Worldvein Resonance, used when there is frequent movement, as well as multiple targets that need to die. You need to be in melee when using this Major, which is worth thinking about when choosing an Essence for a fight. If you are serious about your Beast Mastery Hunter, this Essence is absolutely worth the grind.
- Vision of Perfection is an excellent passive choice of Major for fights where you cannot use Worldvein Resonance optimally, which is the case for many fights in late Ny'alotha, especially on Mythic difficulty. This Major Essence becomes particularly powerful when using 3 Primal Instincts Azerite Traits, which is also part of the best Azerite setup for Beast Mastery Hunters in general. This Essence is a must-have.
- Breath of the Dying is particularly good for fights with heavy target switching, like Drest'agath. By using it on targets that are below 20% or above 80% health every time, you can reduce its cooldown and get significant extra value out of it. If you are particularly good at timing it, you can land killing blows on enemies with it and double its damage on consecutive casts.
Raiding: Best Minor Essences for Beast Mastery Hunter
- Vision of Perfection pairs extremely well with Whispering Eldritch Bow to bring your Aspect of the Wild cooldown down to just over a minute, making it an excellent choice to pair with Worldvein Resonance. However, we do not always recommend using this Essence alongside Blood of the Enemy if you have the bow, as that will cause the cooldowns to be desync
- Breath of the Dying is supreme for almost all boss fights, providing the greatest single-target DPS boost of any Minor Essence.
- Essence of the Focusing Iris is another standard choice, only losing value on frequent target-swapping.
- Conflict and Strife provides a passive, constant Versatility boost. This is very useful for damage and survivability and is the default choice if you can get it.
- The Crucible of Flame is a good single-target Essence, and will most likely take up a slot if you do not have both Breath of the Dying and Conflict and Strife on Rank 3.
- Blood of the Enemy is a Crucible of Flame alternative for multi-target encounters.
Mythic+: Best Major Essences for Beast Mastery Hunter
- Blood of the Enemy is the default choice for most Mythic+ when your gear has reached a reasonably high (440+, 2000+ Crit) level. Use it after your cooldowns are activated on as many targets as possible.
- Essence of the Focusing Iris is the default choice for AoE scenarios when you do not meet the gear recommendation for Blood of the Enemy, or if you do not have Blood of the Enemy altogether.
- Worldvein Resonance is a good middle-ground that will be a typical choice for Tyrannical Mythic+, if you do not have Blood of the Enemy available to you.
Mythic+: Best Minor Essences for Beast Mastery Hunter
- Vision of Perfection is an invaluable and hugely useful Essence for all Mythic+. It combines well with the Rapid Reload Azerite Trait to reduce your Aspect of the Wild cooldown significantly.
- Conflict and Strife provides a passive, constant Versatility boost (see our stats page for more information on stats values). This is very useful for damage and survivability and is the default choice if you can get it.
- Breath of the Dying is also good for almost all situations in Mythic+ and is the third choice in most situations.
- Blood of the Enemy is a common choice when you are not using the Major.
Essences for Beast Mastery Hunters
Breath of the Dying
This Essence's Major Power, Reaping Flames is an ability on a 45-second cooldown that deals Fire damage to a single target. If it hits a target below 20%, its cooldown is reduced by 30 seconds. At higher ranks, this effect applies to targets above 80% health, and killing blows with this Essence will reduce its cooldown to 5 seconds and double its damage on the next cast. The Minor Power is Lethal Strikes.
This Essence's Major Power, Guardian of Azeroth is an ability on a 3-minute cooldown that summons a creature that does heavy damage over 30 seconds. At higher levels, it also grants you a Haste bonus the longer it is active (see our stats page for relative stats values). The Minor Power is Condensed Life-Force.
Essence of the Focusing Iris
Essence of the Focusing Iris is unlocked by doing Mythic+ content. By doing high keys in Mythic+, you gain currency items that can be used to acquire the Essence.
This Essence's Major Power, Focused Azerite Beam, is an ability on a 1.5-minute cooldown that deals heavy damage to all targets in front of you over 3 seconds. At Rank 3, it is castable while moving. The Minor Power is Focused Energy.
The Crucible of Flame
The Crucible of Flame is the first Essence you unlock and you get Rank 1 as part of the questline of Nazjatar. You get Rank 2 from a quest when your Heart of Azeroth reaches Level 54. Rank 3 comes at Level 60.
This Essence's Major Power, Concentrated Flame, is an ability that deals heavy damage on a 30-second cooldown. At higher Ranks, it gains an additional charge.
Worldvein Resonance is an Essence unlocked by doing Island Expedition content. The first Rank is unlocked by doing a weekly Azerite cap. Rank 2 is unlocked by gathering 15 Fragment of Zem'lan's Lost Treasure Map items in Expeditions and doing the mission that it grants you with your Mission Table Followers. Rank 3 is unlocked by doing the same with 3 Worldvein Intelligence Reports items.
This Essence's Major Power, Worldvein Resonance, is an ability with a 1-minute cooldown that spawns Lifeblood Shards to erupt around you, which grants you and nearby allies using the same Essence a small primary stat bonus. When used, this Major Power also increases the Agility gained from Lifeblood Shards by 300%. You can benefit from 4 Shards at most at the same time. Use it when you are going to benefit from the Shards for a while and it is wise to have an idea of who else is using it in your raid, so that you can share each other's Lifeblood Shards.
Memory of Lucid Dreams
Memory of Lucid Dreams is an Essence unlocked early on by doing the initial questline to the Nazjatar zone. The higher ranks are unlocked by gaining Experience with certain NPCs.
This Essence's Major Power, Memory of Lucid Dreams, is an ability on a 2-minute cooldown that increases your Focus regeneration rate by 100% for 12 seconds. At higher Ranks, this lasts for 15 seconds, and it also gives you a bit of Leech.
Blood of the Enemy
Blood of the Enemy is an Essence unlocked by earning Honor through PvP content. The first Rank is unlocked by winning a PvP Island Expedition, a Normal Battleground, and an Epic Battleground. Rank 2 is unlocked by earning 15000 Honor through PvP and Rank 3 is unlocked with 30000.
This Essence's Major Power, Blood of the Enemy, is an ability with a 1.5-minute cooldown that deals AoE damage around you and then increases your Critical Strike chance against them by 25% for 10 seconds. At higher Ranks, it also gives you a 5-second Critical Strike Damage buff.
Vision of Perfection
Vision of Perfection is an Essence that drops from King Mechagon, the final boss in the Operation: Mechagon dungeon. Rank 2 can be crafted in the Mechagon Junkyard with items you earn from doing Mechagon Island content. Rank 3 is unlocked by killing King Mechagon multiple times to gather Progression Sprockets.
This Essence's Major Power, Vision of Perfection, gives your spells a chance to activate Aspect of the Wild for 25% of its normal duration, or 35% at higher Ranks. At higher Ranks, it also gives you and 2 allies a small Haste buff.
The Unbound Force
The Unbound Force is an Essence unlocked by earning Reputation with your faction's Nazjatar faction, either the Waveblade Ankoan for Alliance or The Unshackled for the Horde. Rank 1 is unlocked at Honored, Rank 2 at Revered, and Rank 3 at Exalted.
This Essence's Major Power, The Unbound Force, is an ability that deals a bit of damage on a 1-minute cooldown. The ability does 300% more damage if it critically strikes. Higher Ranks lower the cooldown to 45 seconds and causes critical strikes to make the ability hit more times.
Purification Protocol is an Essence unlocked by gaining reputation with the Mechagon faction, the Rustbolt Resistance. Rank 1 is unlocked at Honored, Rank 2 is unlocked at Revered, and Rank 3 is unlocked at Exalted.
This Essence's Major Power, Purifying Blast, is an ability with a 1-minute cooldown that lets you choose an area on the ground where a beam will blast down for 6 seconds, dealing heavy AoE damage to all enemies in the blast. At higher ranks, it has a chance to instantly kill enemies in this blast. Also, at higher ranks, if an enemy dies in the blast, you gain 10% damage done for 8 seconds.
On high Mythic+ levels, this can instantly kill very strong mobs. This damage does not appear on the damage meter, but you can be alerted when it happens and how much damage it did with this WeakAura by gwenddolau.
Ripple in Space
Ripple in Space is an Essence unlocked by doing world PvP content.
This Essence's Major Power, Ripple in Space allows you to put down an Azerite beacon on a 1-minute cooldown. After 2 seconds, you will teleport to the beacon and deal AoE Fire damage to all targets around you. You also take 10% reduced damage for 10 seconds after teleporting.
Conflict and Strife
This Essence's Major Power, Conflict, allows you to use the PvP talent Hi-Explosive Trap in PvE content. This is very rarely useful, and the damage penalty is so great that you will most likely never use this Major Essence for PvE content.
Breath of the Dying
This Essence's Minor Power, Lethal Strikes, causes your spells to have a chance to deal extra Fire damage to the target. At higher ranks, it also heals you for 50% of the damage it deals, and will trigger 400% more often when the target is below 20% health.
Essence of the Focusing Iris
This Essence's Minor Power, Focused Energy, gives your spells and abilities against the same target a chance to provide you with a stacking Haste buff. If you attack a new target, all the stacks will fall off. Your first attack when you have 0 stacks will instantly grant you 3 stacks.
Condensed Life Force
This Essence's Minor Power, Condensed Life-Force, gives your spells and abilities a chance to fire Azerite spikes at the target that deal moderate Fire damage. These spikes also increase your damage done to the target by 3%.
Memory of Lucid Dreams
This Essence's Minor Power, Lucid Dreams, causes your abilities to have a chance to refund 50% of their Focus cost, and also heal you for a small amount. At higher ranks, it also gives you a small amount of passive Versatility.
The Crucible of Flame
This Essence's Minor Power, Ancient Flame, gives your spells a small chance to either deal a small amount of Fire damage to your target, or heal an ally.
Conflict and Strife
This Essence's Minor Power, Strife, gives your abilities a chance to provide you with Strife, a stacking Versatility buff. In practice, it has almost 100% uptime on 8 stacks. You also gain stacks when you are crowd-controlled, but this is more common in PvP.
Blood of the Enemy
This Essence's Minor Power, Blood-Soaked, causes your Critical strikes to stack a buff called Blood-Soaked, which increases your Critical Strike chance further by a small amount. When it reaches 40 stacks, it consumes all the stacks and gives you a large Haste proc for 8 seconds. At higher Ranks, it has a 25% chance of only consuming 30 stacks.
This Essence's Minor Power, Purification Protocol, gives your attacks a chance to to deal AoE fire damage. At higher ranks, it also heals you. This does 50% increased damage against Aberrations. In The Eternal Palace, that includes Orgozoa and Za'qul, Harbinger of Ny'alotha.
This Essence's Minor Power, Lifeblood, gives your attacks a chance to spawn Lifeblood Shards with similar effects to the Major Power — this gives you and nearby allies with the same Essence a small primary stat bonus.
The Unbound Force
This Essence's Minor Power, Reckless Force, is a stacking buff. Whenever you do not Critical Strike, your spells have a chance to give you stacks of Reckless Force. It does nothing on its own, but when it reaches 20 stacks, it will give you a 3-second buff ( Reckless Force) that increases your Critical Strike chance by 50%. At higher Ranks, this buff lasts 4 seconds and gives you 70% Critical Strike chance.
Vision of Perfection
This Essence's Minor Power, Strive for Perfection, reduces the cooldown of Aspect of the Wild by 15%, and this percentage is increased at higher Ranks. At higher Ranks, it also grants you a passive Versatility bonus, and gives you a 5% self-heal when you activate Aspect of the Wild.
Ripple in Space
This Essence's Minor Power, Reality Shift increases your movement speed by 5%, and causes you to gain an Agility buff for 20 seconds whenever you move more than 25 yards in 4 seconds.
Essences' Effects on the Beast Mastery Hunter Rotation
Most Major Essences come with an active ability that must be used correctly to give you optimal DPS. We describe a few of them here. Here, we assume that you have read the content of our rotation page.
- Condensed Life-Force's Guardian of Azeroth has a 3-minute cooldown, and should be used with strong cooldowns like Aspect of the Wild as much as possible. The Guardian does not benefit from Aspect, but it provides you with a damage and Haste buff that will be more powerful during Aspect. Most importantly, however, you should not delay the Essence so much that you lose a cast of it.
- Blood of the Enemy has a 1.5-minute cooldown, and should be used on cooldown. It is worth saving it for multi-target scenarios, or Bestial Wrath if you do not have to delay it too much. It is best to use right before entering Bestial Wrath, to benefit from the Critical Strike bonus during it.
- The Crucible of Flame's Concentrated Flame should be used on cooldown in situations where you would otherwise cast Cobra Shot. You should never cast two Concentrated Flames within 6 seconds of each other, as this will overwrite and waste ticks of the Ancient Flame DoT.
- Essence of the Focusing Iris's Focused Azerite Beam should be used when there are multiple targets up in the fight. If it is a single-target fight, you should mostly just use it on cooldown. It can often be worth delaying it so that you will not cast it during Bestial Wrath, in order to leave room for abilities that actually benefit from Bestial Wrath.
Essence Simulations and Rankings for Beast Mastery Hunter
These charts are provided by Bloodmallet, a website that provides simulation comparisons for all kinds of parameters for all classes.
This is based on a best-in-slot gear setup. Keep in mind that it is only a guideline, that sims do not always give the full picture, and that you should sim your own Essences to work out what is truly best.
Single-Target Major Essences for Beast Mastery Hunter
AoE Major Essences for Beast Mastery Hunter
Single-Target Minor Essences for Beast Mastery Hunter
AoE Minor Essences for Beast Mastery Hunter
- 04 Mar. 2020: Updated the recommendations for Vision of Perfection Major and Minor.
- 12 Feb. 2020: Added a note about Breath of the Dying Major being useful for some situations, and especially Drest'agath.
- 20 Jan. 2020: Reformatted and expanded on the cheat sheet for the best Essences for Beast Mastery Hunter.
- 14 Jan. 2020: Added a cheat sheet for the best Essences for Beast Mastery Hunter.
- 13 Jan. 2020: Added information about the new Breath of the Dying Essence.
- 23 Aug. 2019: Several large updates.
- Updated Bloodmallet's Base Profiles to provide more accurate simulations across the board, and added a Bloodmallet Essence Simulation chart to the guide, replacing the manual ranking.
- Restructured the page and re-ordered most Essences according to popularity and relevance.
- 02 Aug. 2019: Updated the ranking of the Major Single-Target Essences and added rotational tips for every relevant Essence.
- 09 Jul. 2019: Updated the page to include all Essences and redid the rankings.
- 29 Jun. 2019: Added a separate ranking position for the Worldvein Resonance Minor that takes into account whether there are others with Worldvein Resonance in the raid that you can benefit from.
- 27 Jun. 2019: Added Vision of Perfection to the rankings.
- 26 Jun. 2019: Rewrote most of the page and listed the currently relevant Essences in rough, preliminary single-target rank order.
- 24 Jun. 2019: Added Page.
- 40 Shamans Clear All of Molten Core
- Gargan Mounts in Shadowlands
- 29 Fire Mages Cleared Heroic Ny'alotha
- WoWToken.info Shutting Down
- 29 Fire Mages Melted Heroic Dresta'gath in 22 Seconds
- Exclusive Wrath of the Lich King Commemorative Server Blades on Sale in China
- Stranglethorn Vale Recreated in Unreal Engine 4
- Game Director Ion Hazzikostas on Blood/Void Elf Blue Eyes