Discipline Priest DPS Guide — Dragonflight 10.2
On this page, you will learn how to DPS as a Discipline Priest in World of Warcraft — Dragonflight 10.2. We cover rotation, talents, stat priority, gear advice, etc.
Introduction to DPS as a Discipline Priest
Due to the nature of how Discipline Priest heals, we naturally do a significant portion of our potential DPS by just following our normal healing rotation unless you are willing to sacrifice a large portion of your healing for a minimal DPS gain, which is not advised. Discipline is a full healer specialization first and should in no way be considered a substitute for an actual DPS specialization.
For all other situations, please refer to our healing rotation guide and allow your DPS to come naturally by playing Discipline's healing rotation correctly.
Misconceptions Surrounding the Topic of Discipline Priest DPS
Discipline Priests heal by DPSing, so if I optimize for DPS, I will also be optimizing my healing!
This is NOT true. There is a lot more that goes into optimizing Discipline healing that just analyzing the DPS portion will not account for. It is very common for a new Discipline player, especially those who are either swapping from or main a DPS character, to assume that you can simulate a Discipline Priest's DPS and follow that for healing. Do not do this. Not only will a DPS sim not handle any sort of Atonement application or healing cooldown usage, but it will also value Mastery as worthless due to it providing no DPS despite it being a very solid healing stat.
Discipline Priests are the DPS healer, so their DPS will be the highest out of any healer specialization!
This is not always true. While it certainly has the potential to and has in past tiers, Discipline's strength in regards to DPS is the lack of opportunity cost, not its potential ceiling. Discipline Priests will naturally provide a significant amount of damage during an encounter simply by following the proper healing rotation. In many situations, the cost to push further damage past what you will naturally provide tends to not be worth it due to your hardest hitting spells ( Shadowfiend / Penance) being your best healing cooldowns.
- 06 Nov. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.2
- 04 Sep. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.7
- 10 Jul. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.1.5.
- 21 Mar. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.7.
- 24 Jan. 2023: Reviewed for Patch 10.0.5.
- 11 Dec. 2022: Reviewed for Dragonflight Season 1.
- 28 Nov. 2022: Updated for Dragonflight launch.
- 31 May 2022: Page reviewed for Patch 9.2.5.
- 29 Jun. 2021: Updated for Patch 9.1.
- 09 Mar. 2021: Reviewed for Patch 9.0.5.
- 04 Feb. 2021: Page added.
- WoW Servers Down and Explanation
- Professions Capped at 150 Skill in Season of Discovery Phase 1
- Amirdrassil 10.2 Raid DPS Log Rankings, Week 3: In the Middle of Two Tuning Passes
- Gates of Ahn'Qiraj Open on Season of Discovery Realms
- Death Knight Atal'dazar +20 Solo in Dragonflight Season 3
- Metamorphosis Rune Found in Season of Discovery
- Number of Raid Bosses Per Expansion
- The 10 Rarest Still Obtainable Mounts (Video)