Vengeance Demon Hunter Tank Easy Mode — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5
On this page, we explain how to easily play Vengeance Demon Hunter in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.2.5, using the simplest rotation, talent tree, stat priority, gear setup, etc., without sacrificing performance.
This page is intended for players who are new to the game or class, have no intentions of raiding Mythic difficulty, or simply want a more straightforward way to play their specialisation without being overwhelmed by the numerous subtleties and active abilities that need to be taken into consideration for optimal play.
The Basics of Vengeance Demon Hunters
Vengeance Demon Hunters have strong mobility, which can help during tanking, especially in dungeons. Your main goal throughout fights will be to survive through clever usage of your defensive abilities.
Talent Choice for Vengeance Demon Hunters
These choices are optimised for ease of use. That said, only viable talents are suggested and the gains in survivability and DPS from choosing only the "best" talents are not gamebreaking.
- Level 99: Abyssal Strike
- Level 100: Fallout
- Level 102: Flame Crash
- Level 104: Feed the Demon
- Level 106: Concentrated Sigils (but this is situational and any talent can work)
- Level 108: Spirit Bomb
- Level 110: Last Resort
Stat Choice for Vengeance Demon Hunters
Currently, you will want to prioritise stats as follows:
- Critical Strike.
Basic Rotation for Vengeance Demon Hunters
The basic rotation as a Vengeance Demon Hunter is based on this priority.
- Spirit Bomb if 4 or more Souls are active.
- Fracture if you will not cap on Pain/Souls and you are taking the Fracture talent.
- Immolation Aura if you will not cap on Pain/Souls.
- Soul Cleave for dumping Pain.
- Sigil of Flame.
- Shear for filler/if you will not cap on Pain/Souls and you do not have Fracture talented.
- Throw Glaive as a filler.
This can be further broken down into a simple rotation of the following:
- Build souls.
- Use Spirit Bomb at 4 or 5 stacks.
- Use Soul Cleave 1-3 times to dump Pain, keeping at least 30 if in an AoE situation.
- Repeat, filling in the gaps with other abilities.
Active Mitigation and Cooldowns
You have one active mitigation ability that you need to use to keep yourself alive, which is Demon Spikes. This should be used frequently, even simply against auto-attacks. Always keep at least one of its charges rolling.
Aside from this, you also have a couple of other abilities you can use to help keep you alive.
- Soul Cleave should be used whenever you require additional healing.
- Fiery Brand should be placed on the target when you anticipate that they will deal high damage to you, or when you simply want to reduce the damage you take.
In addition to that, you have access to a major survivability cooldown in Metamorphosis. This works both pro-actively (to increase your health in preparation for damage) and re-actively, as an emergency cooldown to heal you up when you drop low on health. The extra Pain that Metamorphosis generates is also a nice bonus, which you can use on Soul Cleave for more healing.
You want to get 3x Revel in Pain, 1x Hour of Reaping for all content. If you are doing Mythic+, then get 1x rest, follow the priority in the Azerite page. You will go for item level in almost all cases.
Note that you can swap these more defensive options out for DPS oriented traits.
- 23 Jul. 2019: Updated Azerite and Essences.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 16 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 22 Jan. 2019: This page has been reviewed and is up to date for season 2 and Battle of Dazar'alor.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed and is up to date for patch 8.1.
- 07 Aug. 2018: Fixed issue in the talent section and added clarification in rotation section.
- World Bosses and PvP Honor System Available
- Outlaw Rogue Anniversary Event Ragnaros Bug
- Corrupted Weapons from Ny'alotha, the Waking City in Patch 8.3
- Wrathion Sells Various Items in Patch 8.3
- Patch 8.2.5 and Classic Hotfixes: November 13th
- PvP with the Blues: November 15th
- Ny'alotha, the Waking City Rewards: Ny'alotha Allseer (Mythic N'Zoth Mount) & Wriggling Parasite (Glory of the Ny'alotha Raider Mount)
- Infinite Heart of Azeroth Trait in Patch 8.3: Purity of the Worldsoul
- Frost Mage 8.2
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- 15-Year Anniversary Event
- Very low HPS MW monk
- Fury Warrior 8.2
- Frost Death Knight 8.2
- Beast Mastery Hunter 8.2
- Gems for Timewalking Arcane Mage