Vengeance Demon Hunter Tank Easy Mode — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3
On this page, we explain how to easily play Vengeance Demon Hunter in World of Warcraft — Battle for Azeroth (BfA) 8.3, using the simplest rotation, talent tree, stat priority, gear setup, etc., without sacrificing performance.
This page is intended for players who are new to the game or class, have no intentions of raiding Mythic difficulty, or simply want a more straightforward way to play their specialisation without being overwhelmed by the numerous subtleties and active abilities that need to be taken into consideration for optimal play.
The Basics of Vengeance Demon Hunters
Vengeance Demon Hunters have strong mobility, which can help during tanking, especially in dungeons. Your main goal throughout fights will be to survive through clever usage of your defensive abilities.
Talent Choice for Vengeance Demon Hunters
These choices are optimised for ease of use. That said, only viable talents are suggested and the gains in survivability and DPS from choosing only the "best" talents are not gamebreaking.
- Level 99: Abyssal Strike
- Level 100: Fallout
- Level 102: Flame Crash
- Level 104: Fracture or Feed the Demon
- Level 106: Sigil of Chains
- Level 108: Spirit Bomb
- Level 110: Last Resort
Stat Choice for Vengeance Demon Hunters
Currently, you will want to prioritise stats as follows:
- Critical Strike.
Basic Rotation for Vengeance Demon Hunters
The basic rotation as a Vengeance Demon Hunter is based on this priority.
- Spirit Bomb if 4 or more Souls are active.
- Fracture if you will not cap on Pain/Souls and you are taking the Fracture talent.
- Immolation Aura if you will not cap on Pain/Souls.
- Soul Cleave for dumping Pain after Spirit Bomb and when you do not have any souls.
- Sigil of Flame.
- Shear for filler/if you will not cap on Pain/Souls and you do not have Fracture talented.
- Throw Glaive as a filler.
This can be further broken down into a simple rotation of the following:
- Build souls.
- Use Spirit Bomb at 4 or 5 stacks.
- Use Soul Cleave 1-3 times to dump Pain, keeping at least 30 if in an AoE situation.
- Repeat, filling in the gaps with other abilities.
Active Mitigation and Cooldowns
You have one active mitigation ability that you need to use to keep yourself alive, which is Demon Spikes. This should be used frequently, even simply against auto-attacks. Always keep at least one of its charges rolling.
Aside from this, you also have a couple of other abilities you can use to help keep you alive.
- Fiery Brand should be placed on the target when you anticipate that they will deal high damage to you, or when you simply want to reduce the damage you take.
In addition to that, you have access to a major survivability cooldown in Metamorphosis. This works both pro-actively (to increase your health in preparation for damage) and re-actively, as an emergency cooldown to heal you up when you drop low on health. The extra Pain that Metamorphosis generates is also a nice bonus, which you can use on Soul Cleave for more healing.
You want to get 3x Revel in Pain, 1x Hour of Reaping for all content. If you are doing Mythic+, then get 1x rest, follow the priority in the Azerite page. You will go for item level in almost all cases.
- Defensive Raiding
- Echoing Void — largest DPS increase
- Twilight Devastation — very large DPS increase
- Infinite Stars — very large DPS increase
- 21 Jan. 2020: Updated Essences and added Corruption Section.
- 14 Jan. 2020: Updated for 8.3
- 23 Jul. 2019: Updated Azerite and Essences.
- 24 Jun. 2019: This page has been reviewed for the release of Patch 8.2 and no changes are necessary.
- 16 Apr. 2019: This page has been reviewed and no changes are necessary for the release of the Crucible of Storms raid.
- 22 Jan. 2019: This page has been reviewed and is up to date for season 2 and Battle of Dazar'alor.
- 10 Dec. 2018: This page has been reviewed and is up to date for patch 8.1.
- 07 Aug. 2018: Fixed issue in the talent section and added clarification in rotation section.
- End of Fall of the Lich King Remastered Cinematic
- How Addons Affect Raid Design - A Morgan Day Interview
- Heroic Darkshore Warfront Available for Horde Players (US)
- Class Balance Changes: February 25th
- Horrific Visions Changes Coming on February 25
- Heroic Darkshore Warfront Available for Alliance Players (EU)
- Don't Forget to Opt In for Shadowlands Beta
- Patch 8.3 Hotfixes: February 20th
- VuhDo: a Comprehensive Guide
- Fire Mage PvP 8.3
- Knight85's home for probably stupid questions
- Fury Warrior 8.3
- Assassination Rogue 8.3
- Frost Death Knight PvP 8.3
- Titan Research Archive
- Unholy Aoe Question